Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! Is this a bent nail?  (Read 1370 times)

6ft (inthemorning)

• Visitor
HELP! Is this a bent nail?
« on: August 10, 2023, 02:42:57 AM »

Im a 21yo femur lengthening patient who just finished distraction today (8cm). I got my x-rays done and these are the results.

Are the nails bent? If so, how bad is it?

I'm 140lbs and have taken a few unassisted steps, as well as done regular hydrotherapy in belly deep water. Im worried.

[https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1791/6Xp7yl.jpg][https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/2305/sBcruU.jpg]

youyin12

Re: HELP! Is this a bent nail?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 05:00:25 AM »

It looks like your nail has a slight bend that is not noticeable, but it is not broken, and maybe it is not a big deal.

jerrytheman

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 06:46:34 AM »

Who did your surgery? Yeah walking unassisted on Precise 2.2 is a huge no-no and 100% what caused it. I think at best you lose 2-3mm from if it didn't bend. At worst, the surgeon will think the bone will consolidate bent and you'll need to replace it with another nail before it consolidates. I'm fairly certain it's not a big issue, but your surgeon is going to be the one to ask

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 07:42:12 AM »

How many steps did you think you walked, and was it in the distraction fase nail holding your 8 cm "gap"?

Maison

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 10:18:41 AM »

As others have mentioned, there might be a possibility that the nails are bent, but could it be that the images are distorted?
Your X-ray images might be a concatenation of several X-ray images, and in that case, distortion may occur.
Comparing them with the images before accidentally unassisted steps might also be helpful in making a diagnosis.

EndGame

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 10:43:41 AM »

The nails are clearly bent. Stop exceeding the max allowed loading. Be patient. Doctor can tell you if bent so much it's an issue but my guess is it's fine if it doesn't get worse. No more walking unassisted until doctor clears you as fully consolidated. Good luck.

6ft (inthemorning)

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 04:38:32 PM »

Who did your surgery? Yeah walking unassisted on Precise 2.2 is a huge no-no and 100% what caused it. I think at best you lose 2-3mm from if it didn't bend. At worst, the surgeon will think the bone will consolidate bent and you'll need to replace it with another nail before it consolidates. I'm fairly certain it's not a big issue, but your surgeon is going to be the one to ask

Dr. Mahboubian is my surgeon. The nails were straight when inserted so I definitely put too much weight on them. I will consult with him tomorrow.

6ft (inthemorning)

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 04:40:53 PM »

How many steps did you think you walked, and was it in the distraction fase nail holding your 8 cm "gap"?

Yes, I have been taking a few steps around the kitchen unassisted for the second half of the distraction phase.

6ft (inthemorning)

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 04:42:32 PM »

As others have mentioned, there might be a possibility that the nails are bent, but could it be that the images are distorted?
Your X-ray images might be a concatenation of several X-ray images, and in that case, distortion may occur.
Comparing them with the images before accidentally unassisted steps might also be helpful in making a diagnosis.

No, the images aren't distorted. These are single images, not combined. I compared the images with prior x-rays and there is definitely a curvature which wasn't there before.

Ahri

• Ennui
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 05:19:38 PM »

Yes, your nails are bent. You need to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon to decide on follow up care and treatment.
Height Reduction Procedure on 7/4/23
173 cm (5'8") -> 169.5 cm (5'7)

GrowGrow123

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 05:30:06 PM »

Look bent to me as well. Why would you take unassisted steps lol? That’s the one thing they ask you not to do.
Starting Height: 5' 9.5"
Current Height: 6' 0.5"
Wing Span: 6' 2"
Method: Precise 2.2 Femurs
Surgery Date: March 2023

jerrytheman

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 06:42:55 PM »

keep us posted on what dr m says. Im pretty curious

Maison

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 01:25:30 AM »

No, the images aren't distorted. These are single images, not combined. I compared the images with prior x-rays and there is definitely a curvature which wasn't there before.

OK, your nail is indeed bent. However, since the bending is mild, I believe there should be no problem if you limit the load and live cautiously until consolidation. Please take care.

jerrytheman

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 05:07:11 AM »

Yes, I have been taking a few steps around the kitchen unassisted for the second half of the distraction phase.

It's actually sort of wild because the second half of the distraction phase is actually where the nail is the weakest. But it also shows how strong the nails are even at 8cm capacity. The company says it can only support 75pounds yet you are walking around with 140pounds of weight on it and all that happened was a slight bend.

6ft (inthemorning)

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2023, 02:53:47 PM »

keep us posted on what dr m says. Im pretty curious

I met with Dr. Mahboubian yesterday and he said it wasn't a big deal— just be extra careful during consolidation. He measured the femural bowing to be 1-2 degrees and said it's within a normal range and he's seen much worse. Also said that it won't cause any long term knee or ankle pain. I'm feeling better I just hope all of this is true. My bone growth looks strong too.

c

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 10:07:30 AM »

就怕你后期彻底断了

v5

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2023, 05:23:46 AM »

Its a little dangerous.

NailedLegs

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 04:28:33 PM »

I met with Dr. Mahboubian yesterday and he said it wasn't a big deal— just be extra careful during consolidation. He measured the femural bowing to be 1-2 degrees and said it's within a normal range and he's seen much worse. Also said that it won't cause any long term knee or ankle pain. I'm feeling better I just hope all of this is true. My bone growth looks strong too.

I'm glad you are going to be ok without needing any further medical intervention. But, let this be a warning to prospective patients. Precice 2.2 is not weight bearing, and you should never walk unassisted unless your Doctor instructs you to.

There was a study that included a patient that went hiking while still undergoing consolidation. He wound up breaking his nail entirely. Don't do it!
"Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!"

Current LL plan:
QLL in Early 2025 using the PRECICE nail with Dr. Birkholtz.
4cm tibia, 4cm femur. One year later, re-break for another 4+4. 167cm -> 175cm -> 183cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up