Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia and femur LL  (Read 1815 times)

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
Tibia and femur LL
« on: November 28, 2023, 05:09:44 AM »

Hello everyone,

I want to tell my experience with LL and how I’m doing right now. Just a little over a month ago I went under surgery to get my legs lengthened. My former height was 134 cm, as you can see I have a form of dwarfism. That’s the reason I was willing to go do such a difficult surgery. I will not be disclosing where I did the surgery seeing that I’m quite recognizable with my form of dwarfism, just know I did it in the west side of Europe.

Now for my story:
We have to go back to two years ago, I was so willing to get a little taller. Just so that I could drive a normal car, have some more freedom and can overall just live a much more normal live. I didn’t want to do it to look better or for the social aspect. Seeing that I would still be on the shorter side. So there I went to my surgeon, he did LL but only the medical necessary kind. Because of dwarfism could be one of his cases. But during the consultation they asked me some weird questions that led them to believe that I was depressed (I was definitely not). During those six months I went to look for a different doctor, in one of my close by neighboring countries there was a specialized doctor that did the Ilizarov method. So he was willing to do it but I was not the biggest fan of that method. After our consultation I went to look for another doctor and I came out with my current doctor. He was more than willing to do it also said to me that the other doctor was really close minded and indeed saw my reasoning for doing this surgery. He was specialized in fitbone, after finding out about the cases with fitbone I don’t know if I would go for that again.

You are probably thinking why is she telling all of this nonsense, just to give you a perspective that LL is not something that is easy and you can just go for it.

About a month back;
I was so super excited to get my surgery I can finally be a little taller and live a somewhat more normal life. The morning of the surgery I was getting prepared by one of the assistents she was really kind and was also so happy for me. Getting all the pre op information I was then brought into the operation room. Seeing that I have quite a good relationship with my doctor we were making jokes and there was just an overall relaxed atmosphere. The anesthesiologist couldn’t find a vain to put the iv in, that is something that is normal for people with dwarfism. So they put me under with a mouth breather. I was gone in like a couple of seconds. Just shy of 8 hours later I woke up again, this was still in the operation room. So I heard the doctor tell one of the residents to schedule the next surgery. My instincts were going off with that statement. But still being so high from the anesthesia I could not form coherent sentences. So I asked the nurse that was with me a few minutes later why they were saying I needed to do a different surgery. She couldn’t disclose that information so the doctor was called. He explained that my femurs were perfectly executed. But my tibias were a problem. My bones were to short for the rod. We made x rays and stuff leading up to the surgery so it should’ve all have fit. My ankles were also not straight that’s were they wanted to get the extra cm from, so they straightened them, only my muscles were so used to the way that my ankle was standing he could not get the extra cm he prepared for. So there I went laying in my bed for five days waiting for the next surgery. I could not move my leg that was strictly forbidden seeing that he had to put the rod inside because of the broken bones. That resulted in the rod sticking out for 3 mm. I didn’t have a lot of pain, only laying in bed for five days straight was getting to me.

Second surgery:
The day of the second surgery I was again so excited, this was putting me back from the actual recovery and I was done with being only bed ridden. The pre op went a little the same but this time they did find a vein. After the surgery I got the memo that it all went well, I was over the moon. Only my pain went from a 3/10 (before Seco d surgery) to a 10/10. They gave me all the medication they could give but nothing worked. I was in a lot of pain for like 3/4 days. No sleep was getting to me I thing I slept like 2 hours every day. Nothing helped with the pain so I was just a sort of surviving I cursed everyone out (not really, only myself) and I did not eat for all those days. With not eating and losing quite some blood I had a hard time breathing on one of those days, my saturation was below 80 so I got a breathing tube. That helped so much and I could get like an extra hour of sleep. On the 3 day another doctor came to visit me he was quite concerned about my level of pain and the symptoms that I had. That made him question if I had compartment syndrome. I have a background in medicine so I knew what he was revering to and I was not happy with his conclusions. They scheduled a emergency surgery for the evening seeing that I had just eaten something for the first time in 3 days. In those six hours the doctor came to check on me quite often and he did some tests. That made him question his own findings so he called my actual doctor. I did not have compartment syndrome!! The problem was that they lengthened my tibias for 23 mm in one time. That is way to much to do in once but it had to be done otherwise the rod could not fit. With that knowledge I was a little more relaxed and actually started to fall asleep. So I got my first hours of good sleep that night.
The following days were normal my pain was getting less and I was getting a little more mobile, but still I was getting moody from all those days in the hospital and not doing stuff.
On one night I decided to go to the toilet, I only had used a bed pan and had a catheter. So I called the nurse and asked if two of them could help me. Those were orders from the doctor I could only get out of bed with two other people. But the nurses didn’t see why so I only got one, that was a big mistake on my part that I still did it. Getting out of bed was oké but the transfer went wrong I actually don’t really know what happened but I know that I was in quite a lot of pain. I felt my right leg shift because I could not support my weight anymore so I helped to the nurse to catch me but too late. My right leg got the hit of it. A hour after that the pain ebbed away so my concern was getting less and less, in the morning I told the doctor what happened and we went for a x ray. One of my screws came loose. So another surgery…

Surgery number three
This one was small and only took like a hour so I was back in no time, the pain was minimal and I immediately saw improvement with the shape of my ankle. The next morning I could finally be in my wheelchair so I went out to get some fresh air. That was the highlight of my stay. The next day I was discarded after being in the hospital for 16 days.

Firsts weeks home:
Because of that I had those extra surgeries I was not mobile in any way, so we got a transfer thing to get me from my bed to the cough and to the bathroom. My mom was taking care of me and I felt like a child again, I had to ask everything and could not do anything. So I was a little down, there were some shed tears. But I was determined to get better so I got my walker and did 10 steps that was one heck of a milestone if you ask me. The pain was worse afterwards but I did not mind. A lot of Netflix was watched and I got a lot of visitors so that is what got me through the first week. I also got pt every other day, I was still really flexible in my hamstrings but my knees were a little stiff. So I’m doing stretches to prevent it from getting worse. Just a few days ago I had an appointment with the rehabilitation doctor and we figured it was best if I went to a rehab clinic to get better because I’m way behind schedule.
That was my update

Some keynotes:
- I take over the counter painkillers every 6 hours, only take oxy when I cannot fall asleep from the pain. I get blood thinner shot every night and take antibiotics for a wound that was infected a week ago.
- Sleep is getting better only tonight not so much seeing that I have woken up in the middle of the night and Connor fall asleep again. I get two to four hours of sleep then I wake up normally to pee or that I have pain when I have pain I take a half of the oxy that make me drowsy and then I get another 3/4 hours.

If anyone has questions please ask. I will upload my x rays on one of these days.
This week I also have a consult with my doctor to see how it’s going.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 07:54:06 AM by Gettingalittletaller »

TheDream

Re: Tibia and femur LL
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 05:24:21 PM »

Good luck on your lengthening and recovery Gettingalittletaller
Doing femurs and tibia at the same time is tough stuff.

Out of curiosity: Did you by any chance get some sort of insurance or government help to finance the surgeries since it is for dwarfism? It would make sense to receive help for it as it would help you be able to drive a car etc. so there’s a good reason for it.

The first doctor asking you a bunch of questions about being depressed etc. could be because they have to make sure that their patients are in a right state of mind when going for the surgery.

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2023, 07:07:40 PM »

Good luck on your lengthening and recovery Gettingalittletaller
Doing femurs and tibia at the same time is tough stuff.

Out of curiosity: Did you by any chance get some sort of insurance or government help to finance the surgeries since it is for dwarfism? It would make sense to receive help for it as it would help you be able to drive a car etc. so there’s a good reason for it.

The first doctor asking you a bunch of questions about being depressed etc. could be because they have to make sure that their patients are in a right state of mind when going for the surgery.

Thank you very much!

The insurance did cover the most and the rest was from my parents. I was really lucky with that and seeing all the numbers that are mentioned here I see that I’m really blessed.

Yes indeed that was his reasoning, I just didn’t expect those questions and was not prepared in any way. That weekend there was also an incident with people filming me without my consent because of my disability, so that was probably why I came off being a little depressed. But overall I’m a very confident and happy woman.

limby101

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2023, 07:39:17 PM »

Good luck with your journey!
I wish you go through it with as little pain as possible!
You're very brave so for now you can be proud of yourself for taking control of your life and future self.
I believe that if you know that all pains are temporary and not a sign of a serious complication (like most times) then it really makes the process easier mentally.

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 06:09:06 PM »

Thank you limby101!

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 04:36:19 PM »

Update 33 days post op (first op)

Seeing that I’ve had three different surgery dates I will still be counting from the first one. That being said my progress won’t be the same as other people on the same dates.

I went to the doctor for my check up, I started to lengthen 9 days ago. During my visit I had to take a x ray, only I stumbled upon my first problem. The x ray machine was higher on the ground, you had to take two steps to get into the machine. But with non weight baring nails I have not figured out if or how you can take stairs. So we called my doctor and he was happy with me just laying on the table.
The doctor was happy with my x rays and there were no problems. I only have a difference in weight for my left and right tibia. So I will have to slow down my left tibia and continue with my right. I have some problems with a foot drop on my right foot so I got a EMG. Will get the results back in a few weeks.

I’m going to a rehab center next week to speed up my recovery, at home my mom takes care of me 24/7 but she also has to work. I’m excited for that next chapter and getting into the pool. How did you guys like hydrotherapy?

Medication that I take:
- paracetamol every 6 hours (but still sometimes forget to take is)
- a injection of blood thinners
- oxycodon only when I wake up with immense pain
- antibiotics

Pain:
Two days ago I bumped against something with quite some speed, my left femur got the hit of that. There is nothing wrong with my leg (luckily) only the soft tissue was affected. That caused a 7/10 pain for two days. The other days my pain is a 3/10 4/10.

Sleep:
Can fall asleep very fast then get like 5 hours of sleep, when I wake up I’m in pain or am just not comfortable anymore. So I go to the toilet and then toss and turn a little in my bed. I mostly wake up again two hours later.

Problems I stumble upon:
- getting in and out of the car, because I started with a really short height I can’t just drop my bump and take a seat. Before this surgery I was really flexible so I just could jump in and out of the car.
- taking a shower, our bathroom is on the first floor so I have to take stairs. I have not done that and will not know if I can do that during the lengthening. I go take a shower at my grandmas.
- knee rom: my left leg is really stiff, I can move it when I support the leg but when I have to move it myself it stops and the joints or I don’t really know what cracks.

Here you see my x rays

Tovarish İlizarov

• had lengthening surgery
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 07:19:56 PM »

I have heard that the muscles of patients with achondroplasia are very flexible. Therefore, prolongation may be very high in these patients. I wish the best for you, brother. ♥♥♥

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2023, 09:37:22 PM »

Thank you so much Tovarish Ilizarov. About the muscle part I hope that's also the case with me up until now I am still very flexible

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2023, 09:56:52 PM »

Dear Diary,

Today marks 40 days post-op (first op) I just wanted to give you all an update about my recovery and my lengthening. In my last update, I wrote that I was going to a rehab center, I have now been living here for 5 days. Here's what I can tell you about it, I love it here. I get therapy every day that includes, physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, gym sessions with the physio, gym sessions with a group, and speaking to an occupational therapist and a regular therapist. At first, I was a little hesitant to come here because they usually only have patients who got in an accident or had a brain injury. So I didn't quite have the feeling that I belonged here and that I was occupying someone's spot, but after speaking with the nurses I have now found my spot here and am very happy. I have a little control of my life back, before I was reliant on my mom I could not move around in our house seeing that it was not wheelchair friendly. I now can get myself dressed, get out of bed on my own, get my wheelchair in the bathroom, and move myself to the toilet and or shower.
The lengthening is going well, yesterday my nan came to visit and the first thing she said was that I got taller even though I was in my chair. It could be that she was just wanting to see that I got taller than instead that I actually got taller. But we will see on the X-ray from next week.
A question to people who did precise or fitbone and want to answer, did you have to stand up for the x-rays or could you lay down? And so how did you manage that?

Pain:
The pain is sort of the same I get stronger pains after the PT but that subsides after a while, my left femur still hurts but there is still nothing wrong so I'm happy. During the night I have a higher level of pain, that's mostly what I wake up from and than cannot fall asleep again. So I still take half a oxycodone to get me to fall asleep.

Medication:
- paracetamol but only when I have actual pain
- blood thinners
- oxy
- Stopped with antibiotics

That was it see you again next week,

x

Staystrong

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 12:36:31 AM »

говорят, что сталин пидарасом был, его в очко долбил Иллизаров

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 07:48:51 PM »

Here's my update after the doctor's visit:

A couple of days ago I had an appointment with my doctor, this time I wasn't as nervous. The x-rays were all good and the doctor told me all my pains were normal and will go away once I stop lengthening. My left leg is longer than my right leg so I have to stop lengthening my left leg for a few days. I asked him again just to be sure if I could walk again with a walker and then shift 50% of my weight on my walker. He told me that was all good and he was not concerned about any complications. My next visit is a little later because all was well so now I can come back in January, except if I have any problems.

Xray:
https://imgur.com/a/qKMMM1e

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 09:10:18 PM »

Helloooo

Here's a little update, yesterday I had the most nerve-racking day of all during this whole process. I was trying to get into the car from my wheelchair but slipped and fell on the ground. The pain came shooting up my leg, from my foot all the way up to my knee. I could not stand again on my own so I had to call my sister to help me up. The pain did not subside so I had to take oxycodone, which helped a little for the pain but soon after it came back with really high intensities. The rehab center called the doctor to discuss if I had to go to the hospital on a Sunday or if it could wait until the next morning. We concluded that the doctor would visit me first thing in the morning and that she would do some checks to see if everything was alright. Last night I was in a lot of pain, which made me think of the worst possible outcomes. I checked the whole forum to see if people had the same experience, and that made me only more nervous. After the check this morning I had to go to the hospital for a x ray. Luckily everything was fine no bend nails or broken screws, so the Fitbone nail is a little more durable than people are saying. Im very happy with the results and can go on lengthening without worrying.

TheDream

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 01:04:54 AM »

Good thing it was a false alarm. Stay safe.

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2024, 08:54:05 PM »

Gossip Girl here, your one and only source into the scandalous lives of the shorties in the world (this one is for the few women on this forum)

Here is my update 2,5 months post-op, let's start with that I'm overall doing great. One of these days I will finish lengthening my tibia's and in a few weeks I will be done with my femurs. I have probably lengthened around 11 cm, I can say my legs have completely changed. If I stand next to a mirror I'm overwhelmed with how much I've grown, so I finally start to see why I did all of this. In the beginning, I was very mad at myself for putting myself in this situation, I did not like being in a wheelchair and had no trust in a good outcome. This forum was a good but also really bad solution, I was specifically searching for diaries that had complications so that I could convince myself I would or had that same complication. It became sort of an addiction, the last few weeks I've been doing so much better. In this rehab center, I've made enough friends to keep me occupied, I now swim every day where I practice walking, do my stretches, swim, and play football underwater.

The last few days I've had some higher pain levels, I think that is because of the last few centimeters. I cannot wait for the day that the machine says that I'm done. That's weird right, this is something I've been looking forward to a big part of my life and now that I'm doing it I want to finish and move on from it as fast as possible. This week I had a check-up with my doctor, I didn't see him for almost a whole month so I was quite nervous about the x-rays and what he had to say. The X-rays looked good (luckily, I made myself believe there was something wrong). The physio asked me to get permission from the doctor to start climbing stairs and to start practicing with crutches. He did not have any problem with that seeing that I distribute my weight well. I only have to be super careful, he told me to see myself as an old lady who had really frail bones. Seeing that I'm only walking with a walker I start to feel like an old lady.
During PT we tried walking up three steps, and that went quite well. Only I was so sore in my arms the next day, I feel like I have bodybuilding type of arms now seeing how much I train them only this was a little different.

I'm now almost 3 months post-op, I have given myself a deadline for when I do most of my normal stuff again. In May of this year I want to be able to walk again, climb stairs again and do most of my regular stuff again. Does anyone know if that is manageable in 5 months? I do have to keep in mind that my consolidation has to be good to actually achieve that goal.

I will keep y'all updated on when the device stops working.
XX

Ted68

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2024, 11:21:14 AM »

You were 1.34 and now you'll be 1.45 m tall ?
Not bad...
But, have you thought, after 2 years, to start over and do another 10 cm elongation, so you can be a normal woman as 1.55 m ?
Just think about and ask your doctor about your limits...
Second elongation will change your life in better DRAMATICALLY !!

TheDream

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2024, 03:48:48 PM »

I'm now almost 3 months post-op, I have given myself a deadline for when I do most of my normal stuff again. In May of this year I want to be able to walk again, climb stairs again and do most of my regular stuff again. Does anyone know if that is manageable in 5 months? I do have to keep in mind that my consolidation has to be good to actually achieve that goal.

Stairs will be hard especially when you walk down, as you put all your weight on one leg at an angle. You have lengthened quite a bit in both femurs and tibias at once. While your bones could be consolidated by May your muscles, joints etc. will need quite a bit of time to adjust to the new biomechanics.

So I think you should not feel disappointed if you cannot walk up and down stairs easily by May. Just keep being patient even though it is completely normal to just want to return to normality as fast as possible you are in a great spot.

Robert Adam

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2024, 09:04:18 AM »

How many cm do you lengthen the tibia and how many cm do you lengthen the femur?

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 12:50:21 PM »

Hii everyone,

It’s been almost two months since I last updated you guys, first of all I’ve reached my 14 cm goal!!!
It’s such a big difference from how I looked and how I look now, so I can say with certainty that it was worth it. The device stopped working around the first of February so it’s been more that a month that I have finished.
I don’t experience any pain anymore only when I start to walk in my ankles, the doctor says it’s from the fluid that I still have in my legs.

My walk is getting better and better I now can walk for quite some while still with crutches. But my therapist and my doctor say that I can probably walk normal in 6 weeks. So I’m really exited. I can climb stairs and decent the stairs.

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 12:52:20 PM »

Robert Adam I have lengthened my femur 8 cm and my tibia 6 cm. Keep in mind that I do have a growing disorder so that’s why I could do such length in once.

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2024, 05:18:56 PM »

I have some exciting news to share – the pain in my ankle is becoming less frequent, which feels like a major victory! My walking continues to improve steadily. Just a week ago, I started learning how to walk with just one crutch. Then, yesterday, my therapist suggested that I try walking a bit without crutches. I'll admit, I felt nervous and broke out in a sweat at the idea, but she had confidence in my healing progress. So, with some trepidation, I took my first few steps unsupported. Surprisingly, it wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated.

However, I've noticed that I still walk with an unusual gait – my hips sway a lot, and I tend to angle my left foot outward when stepping. According to both my doctor and physical therapist, this is likely due to weakness in my hip and upper leg muscles. To change this, I've been given a series of muscle workouts targeting those areas.

Until next time! ;)

Gettingalittletaller

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:49:45 PM »

Here's a new update—life is steadily improving, and I'm rediscovering the joys that I couldn't experience over the past few months. I now exclusively use crutches for walking; I've completely ditched the wheelchair, which feels like a significant accomplishment. Even indoors, I'm progressing with walking unaided, and the pain in my ankle has completely disappeared.

Yesterday marked my greatest triumph yet—I attended a festival for the first time in six months. I've always loved to party, so the past several months without being able to enjoy the nightlife were particularly challenging.
Being at the festival was incredibly liberating. I relished the freedom of moving around without feeling encumbered. It was a testament to how far I've come in my recovery journey. Of course, I paced myself and took breaks when needed, but overall, the experience was exhilarating and reassuring.

Looking ahead, I'm optimistic about my continued progress. Walking without crutches indoors is becoming more natural, and I'm gradually increasing my stamina and confidence. It's a relief to be free of the constant ankle pain that plagued me earlier in my recovery.
In addition to physical gains, there have been significant emotional milestones. Overcoming the fear and frustration that initially accompanied my injury and subsequent treatment has been empowering. While there were moments of doubt and difficulty, I now recognize the resilience and determination that have carried me through.

Looking back, I realize how far I've come from those early days of uncertainty and discomfort. My mindset has shifted from apprehension to anticipation—I'm eager to reclaim normalcy and resume activities that once seemed out of reach. As I continue to progress, I'm setting new goals for myself. By the end of next month, I aim to walk confidently without crutches in more public settings. Achieving this will be a testament to my perseverance and the unwavering support of my medical team, friends, and family.

I'll be sure to keep you updated on my journey. Until then, embrace every step forward and celebrate the victories, big and small.
Pages: [1]   Go Up