Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How obvious is it you've done LL (femurs only)?  (Read 2252 times)

Kintaeryos

How obvious is it you've done LL (femurs only)?
« on: January 13, 2024, 07:05:31 PM »

Say you're a man with a normal tibia/femur ratio and a wingspan longer than your height (or at least not shorter), you do LL on the femurs, you add 5-8 cm (probably 6-7 cm if I did it), and everything goes well. How obvious would it be to people afterwards that you did it? Would your knees look noticeably lower? If you hypothetically were a public figure of some kind (I'm not, but assuming worse-case scenario) and there were a lot of full-body photos of you online, would people be able to tell or speculate? What about going to the beach or wearing shorts? Is it something you have to take subtle steps to hide or worry about for the rest of your life, or do your legs normal?

If it's noticeable, would doing quadrilateral LL (with the 2 lengthenings spaced apart for safety) be worth it to make sure you have completely normal leg proportions and you never have to worry about them looking weird, or is the increased risk and effort of doing a second lengthening on the tibias not worth the improved aesthetics?

jbfjbj4

Re: How obvious is it you've done LL (femurs only)?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 07:31:22 PM »

You're not a public figure, you never will be, and they'll never be millions of people looking at your full body pics online. Whether you can or cannot go to the beach afterwards is nothing compared to the advantages of being 3 inches taller. These are tiny issues of no significance whatsoever.

Kintaeryos

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 08:03:47 PM »

You're not a public figure, you never will be, and they'll never be millions of people looking at your full body pics online. Whether you can or cannot go to the beach afterwards is nothing compared to the advantages of being 3 inches taller. These are tiny issues of no significance whatsoever.
Alright. But how obvious is it, for say 6-7 cm? How much does the knee move down the leg visually?

DonBones

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 09:00:06 PM »

Alright. But how obvious is it, for say 6-7 cm? How much does the knee move down the leg visually?

To a competent observer even 2 inches are visible. I know because I've done it. That said, most observers aren't competent, they don't know about leg lengthening, nor do people care about it.

A much bigger give away will be your altered biomechanics, the crutches, weird gait...now that is hard to miss even for someone who isn't looking at you very closely. Therefore make sure not to overlengthen and keep up with exercises.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

markr09

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 10:19:32 AM »

It also depends on your proportions in the first place. The current accepted normal ratio at minimum of tibia:femurs is .78. That's just considering the leg bones, there's also the torso. If you're someone with short femurs and a long torso, then LL on femurs won't be as noticeable. I personally have short af femurs, still longer than tibias ofc, but it's one reason why my calves look huge even with moderate bodybuilding. But it's also one reason why a lot of shorts don't look good on me because my knees are quite high so a lot of they tend to go below the knees even the ones that are supposed to be actually short. They're just meant for ppl with long femurs. It's one reason why I'm also opting for femur LL.

If you're someone with normal ratio, then I'd say it"ll definitely be quite noticeable but not really to an extent most ppl would care enough to notice. Most ppl can't even differentiate soft higher heights to hard shorter ones. Unless you're buck nked then it shouldn't be an issue much.

Quad LL may help with tibia to femur ratio but you're still stuck with how long your torso is. If anything it might look worse if you try to maximize it. Since you'll have real long af looking legs if you have a short torso. I'd say keep it reasonable if you want it less noticeable not on extreme top lengths of both.
Ideal goal: (178cm~180cm) 5'10~5'11 with two separate bilateral(femur+tibia) lengthening
Normal goal: (176cm) 5'9 with femur lengthening
Minimum goal: (173.5cm) 5'8 with femur/tibia lengthening

Plan in 2025~2026 when Precice Max comes and has some good outcomes.

Kintaeryos

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 02:57:09 PM »

It also depends on your proportions in the first place. The current accepted normal ratio at minimum of tibia:femurs is .78. That's just considering the leg bones, there's also the torso. If you're someone with short femurs and a long torso, then LL on femurs won't be as noticeable. I personally have short af femurs, still longer than tibias ofc, but it's one reason why my calves look huge even with moderate bodybuilding. But it's also one reason why a lot of shorts don't look good on me because my knees are quite high so a lot of they tend to go below the knees even the ones that are supposed to be actually short. They're just meant for ppl with long femurs. It's one reason why I'm also opting for femur LL.

If you're someone with normal ratio, then I'd say it"ll definitely be quite noticeable but not really to an extent most ppl would care enough to notice. Most ppl can't even differentiate soft higher heights to hard shorter ones. Unless you're buck nked then it shouldn't be an issue much.

Quad LL may help with tibia to femur ratio but you're still stuck with how long your torso is. If anything it might look worse if you try to maximize it. Since you'll have real long af looking legs if you have a short torso. I'd say keep it reasonable if you want it less noticeable not on extreme top lengths of both.
Do you think doing the same increase (7 cm) split into two segments, like 3.5 cm tibias and 3.5 cm femurs or whatever they have to be to maintain my pre-LL tibia/femur ratio, is worth it if money is no issue, or is the increased risk, effort and long-term effects from doing quad LL not worth if I still plan on doing 7 cm? That the only logical reason why someone would do quad LL is if they want more than 8 cm and doing it purely for aesthetics doesn't make sense?

babygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 03:31:28 PM »

Do you think doing the same increase (7 cm) split into two segments, like 3.5 cm tibias and 3.5 cm femurs or whatever they have to be to maintain my pre-LL tibia/femur ratio, is worth it if money is no issue, or is the increased risk, effort and long-term effects from doing quad LL not worth if I still plan on doing 7 cm? That the only logical reason why someone would do quad LL is if they want more than 8 cm and doing it purely for aesthetics doesn't make sense?

You're mistaken, maintaining the ratio for a 7cm increase is 4cm femur, 3cm tibia.

The easy way to calculate is just deciding how much to lengthen the femur and then put the tibia at 80% of that length.
So if you wanna lengthen 10cm femur, tibia will be 8cm. Or if 5 femur, then tibia 4cm...and so on.
1.84m. | That's 6' and ½ inch.
Researching limb shortening.

markr09

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 12:09:53 AM »

So I just want to say, multiple times I've sat next to people who are 5'8 to 5'11, and yes it just varies a lot. My co-worker who I sat with in a couch during a meeting, we were sitting rather straight because of course, meeting with bosses. I noticed we had the same or rather very close seating heights and similar tibia/lower leg height as well, the only huge noticeable difference is our femurs, his is noticably 3 inches or more longer. And this isn't the first time I've seen this sat next to a taller person, so I'm confident enough atleast for my femurs that when lengthened it will still look fine proportionally speaking.

The calc is wrong but in regards to trying to maintain your pre LL ratio, imo no it's not worth atleast in terms for both duration and risk. Also no sane LL'er would even opt for just 3.5cm on a segment when planning two LL. It's not worth the time nor effort.

That the only logical reason why someone would do quad LL is if they want more than 8 cm and doing it purely for aesthetics doesn't make sense?
Precisely, at minimum you want atleast 5cm for both segments. Remember you're wasting almost 2 years of your life just for a single pair of LL and for 3.5cm? That's not worth at all. You wasted 4 years just to recover from 7cm lengthening.

IMO again is just do one segment first and see where it goes from there. Personally I think I'm fine with 5'9. My ideal goal is 5'10ish but honestly that's only if I want to also risk both time and money and seeing it now, probably hard no.
Ideal goal: (178cm~180cm) 5'10~5'11 with two separate bilateral(femur+tibia) lengthening

overandover

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2024, 12:11:58 AM »

No one can tell. My tall friends didn't even notice. People don't notice you as much as you think. Only people who are around same height as you will notice.

Kintaeryos

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2024, 07:28:56 AM »

No one can tell. My tall friends didn't even notice. People don't notice you as much as you think. Only people who are around same height as you will notice.
I don't mean the height gain necessarily, but how the legs look after.

Kintaeryos

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 07:31:12 AM »

So I just want to say, multiple times I've sat next to people who are 5'8 to 5'11, and yes it just varies a lot. My co-worker who I sat with in a couch during a meeting, we were sitting rather straight because of course, meeting with bosses. I noticed we had the same or rather very close seating heights and similar tibia/lower leg height as well, the only huge noticeable difference is our femurs, his is noticably 3 inches or more longer. And this isn't the first time I've seen this sat next to a taller person, so I'm confident enough atleast for my femurs that when lengthened it will still look fine proportionally speaking.
The calc is wrong but in regards to trying to maintain your pre LL ratio, imo no it's not worth atleast in terms for both duration and risk. Also no sane LL'er would even opt for just 3.5cm on a segment when planning two LL. It's not worth the time nor effort.
Precisely, at minimum you want atleast 5cm for both segments. Remember you're wasting almost 2 years of your life just for a single pair of LL and for 3.5cm? That's not worth at all. You wasted 4 years just to recover from 7cm lengthening.

IMO again is just do one segment first and see where it goes from there. Personally I think I'm fine with 5'9. My ideal goal is 5'10ish but honestly that's only if I want to also risk both time and money and seeing it now, probably hard no.
Yeah I think doing only one lengthening is the most pragmatic solution. Single LL is already half a fantasy for me at this point in my life, so double LL is a pipe dream anyway. If legs really vary like that and wouldn't look too weird with 3 inches lengthening (all I want anyway) I can live with it.

GreenGoblin

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 10:25:19 AM »

I second this experience. I am 168 cm and one of my closest friends is around 178 and we have around the some torso length and very similar tibia length. However when sitting up straigth you can see a clear difference in the femur length. I also think it is more common to come across someone with long femurs as opposed to someone with long tibias but that is just my opinion.

Temoc

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 04:10:18 PM »

The most obvious are not the proportions but the scars. Even with internals, there are some telltale scars. It's no big deal.

Beemer m3

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 09:48:47 AM »

that one guy that did 12 cm on his femurs . he wore tight shorts and u can really see his long thigh. looks like some 7 footer thigh lol. but yeh i looked at a few grls tibia leg and there pretty short compared to mines. so i guess u can tell if u didnt have clothes on.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Precise2.2

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 08:31:11 PM »

It noticeable that you're taller to people that knew you before LL, even at 5cm if that's the question.

KrP1

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 08:59:56 PM »

People doesn't focus too much on proportions, the obvious thing is the height increase. An increase of 6/7 cm is very noticeable and most people will know that you grew.

Precise2.2

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 09:55:24 PM »

Proportions are noticeable to a certain degree, people might not tell you but they will notice if it’s obvious. If being proposition is important to you then stay within a range because you don’t want that to be your new phobia, you’re going think everyone is staring because of your short arms.

Beemer m3

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2024, 12:21:35 AM »

im going for 5'11-6 ft and my wingspan is 5'7 im gonna start having that phobia. it just gonna suck lol.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

jbfjbj4

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2024, 02:12:50 PM »

It's not noticeable, and there's one very easy way to prove this:

How many people have you walked past IRL and thought 'they had leg lengthening done'? 0, right? Infact the only times you've ever noticed a proportions imbalance I bet, is from pictures posted on this forum.

All those thousands, tens of thousands of people you've walked past in the street, met at work, gone to college with etc, and you couldn't notice a single one who had LL done. So even people on this forum, who would be 'more trained' to notice such things, wouldn't be able to 'notice' on a stranger unless they were specifically looking for it (which is why asking about your proportions here is useless, as anyone as 'see' something if it's been pointed out to them already).

Kintaeryos

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2024, 09:23:11 PM »

How many people have you walked past IRL and thought 'they had leg lengthening done'? 0, right? Infact the only times you've ever noticed a proportions imbalance I bet, is from pictures posted on this forum.

All those thousands, tens of thousands of people you've walked past in the street, met at work, gone to college with etc, and you couldn't notice a single one who had LL done. So even people on this forum, who would be 'more trained' to notice such things, wouldn't be able to 'notice' on a stranger unless they were specifically looking for it (which is why asking about your proportions here is useless, as anyone as 'see' something if it's been pointed out to them already).
true, a lot of people talk about Henry Cavill having very small arms but I never noticed it until I really started paying attention to this stuff.

Beemer m3

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2024, 01:19:07 AM »

u guys dont really look at a person in real life. like stare at them . if u watch the nba u can see there legs are long as fuk. if a person is wearing shorts u can see there small tibias but long ass thighs if they did 12 cm. trust me . u see people with jeans its hard to figure but with shorts and if ur staring. u will be like those are some long ass femur bones. watch livelifetaller and compare images. if ur talking about going to walmart and looking who did what its hard to tell because no one told u n u dont stare closely enough. i think 8 cm max really made it slightly for good proportions.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

1team

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2024, 01:48:08 AM »

This is a logical fallacy. How many people worldwide have even had limb lengthening? The more logical answer to your question is the reason you don't notice people in your day to day life with proportions imbalance due to limb lengthening is because they haven't done the surgery.

If you walked past a Turkish clinic with 10cm femur lengthening patients doing follow up your answer would be very different.

markr09

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 03:31:50 AM »

that one guy that did 12 cm on his femurs . he wore tight shorts and u can really see his long thigh. looks like some 7 footer thigh lol. but yeh i looked at a few grls tibia leg and there pretty short compared to mines. so i guess u can tell if u didnt have clothes on.
I don't think it would take a detective anyways to notice that since 12cm on femurs is incredibly noticeable. I actually think that might be too long, but depends on how long his tibia is also in the first place. But if we consider even a high end of the ratio, I feel like the tibia would look far less prominent at that point and imo less appealing and really is just more noticeable that "something isn't right" 'cause it looks unnatural. Like you said it's noticeable with shorts, and that's because of how far the knee is from the shorts' ends.

I talked about this in another thread, but I genuinely know I have short femurs, although not accurate measurements because I haven't had them x-rayed. But I can obviously tell just from being with people taller than me with similar torso lengths and tibial lengths when sitting or standing. Like that other guy who said a similar thing with his friend who's 5'10. But also, in regards to shorts, most shorts for me look baggy and long af. Which is one reason why I hate wearing shorts, because they just don't look aesthetically pleasing to me since a lot of them can level or go down below knee height. Even the "short shorts" were still only a few inches above my knees, but it's the only one that actually accentuates my thighs better. Yes, I know my calves look great esp when it higlights my muscles further, but I still prefer a highlight on even my thighs. It also makes you look slimmer with wearing shorts above knees. An fyr, my wingspan is 5'10~5'11 so I really got screwed by genetics on that end with my legs.
u guys dont really look at a person in real life. like stare at them . if u watch the nba u can see there legs are long as fuk. if a person is wearing shorts u can see there small tibias but long ass thighs if they did 12 cm.
Yes for the NBA, but they're an all different beast together, I think it still looks proportional because they were tall to begin with, an avg of 6'6, longer femurs don't look unnatural to shorter tibias. For women it also looks a tad more natural to have longer femurs, but for males below 6' I don't think you're getting away with long ass femurs well above the supposed avg proportions. Sure people won't probably know it's leg lengthening surgery, but they would atleast find it look unnatural in a way. It's why I also think 8cm is probably the hard limit atleast that it won't look too "weird" if you already had long femurs in the first place.
If you walked past a Turkish clinic with 10cm femur lengthening patients doing follow up your answer would be very different.
I still think you don't need to have experienced the surgery or be some expert to know if that leg length looks unnatural or not. It just really depends on the length, and yes that 10cm will be noticeable IF your ratio was already within the avg limits and you either go up/down the avg. A few mm deviations should barely make that difference noticeable, but if you're going well above/below, then that's where things start to look unnatural.

This is why you should still stay within proportions and see if you can imagine or look at yourself compared to other people taller than you. If you're like me or that other fellow, similar tibia/torso height to some taller people, then great you can go femur lengthening to some length atleast without looking our of proportion.

Of course, it'd still take some scrutiny to even notice, atleast without something covering the knee and below it. And people can just argue that's just how their genetics were, if assuming you kept your surgery lowkey and no one close to you knew your pre-height before your young adult years.

As for the scars, I genuinely don't know why people worry about it too much. IMO, it's the least of your worries, esp considering scars can fade overtime and literally a lot of cheap treatments exist for fading and treating scars. I've even had a knife scar on my hand I treated with a home-dermapend treatment, barely visible now.

jbfjbj4

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 10:52:34 AM »

u guys dont really look at a person in real life. like stare at them . if u watch the nba u can see there legs are long as fuk. if a person is wearing shorts u can see there small tibias but long ass thighs if they did 12 cm. trust me . u see people with jeans its hard to figure but with shorts and if ur staring. u will be like those are some long ass femur bones. watch livelifetaller and compare images. if ur talking about going to walmart and looking who did what its hard to tell because no one told u n u dont stare closely enough. i think 8 cm max really made it slightly for good proportions.

That's the whole point, if you have to watch LLT videos you already KNOW they had LL done and so your perception is forever biased by that knowledge. You wouldn't notice anyone on the street as you've just said yourself, and without the prior knowledge they did lengthen, you couldn't tell.

Of course if you have a before/after comparison image you'll notice even 5cm. But people looking at you IRL don't have that, they don't know you had LL done unless you're stupid enough to tell them, so the 'man on the street who isn't intently staring at you' is indeed the best barometer to use in this situation.

This is a logical fallacy. How many people worldwide have even had limb lengthening? The more logical answer to your question is the reason you don't notice people in your day to day life with proportions imbalance due to limb lengthening is because they haven't done the surgery.

No, it's not. Obviously I know the vast majority of people you walk past haven't had LL done, but your 'walk past a turkish LL clinic' arms you with the knowledge they DID have it done, and thus makes anything you 'notice' worthless.

You'll have walked past tens of thousands of people, and if you're past your early 20s, it'll be well over 100,000. Statistically speaking you'll have walked past a handful of LL patients. Definitely when we combine that datapool with the other members who also have walked past 100k+ people. And yet not one of you has been able to say you 'noticed' a LL patient without having the prior knowledge that they're a LL patient, ergo we can conclude pretty confidently you wouldn't ever be noticing anything.

Beemer m3

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2024, 08:18:52 AM »

ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

bruhh

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 01:15:48 AM »

The problem with the guy in the thumbnail of that vid is definitely the t-rex arms.

DanishViking

• The more a women cares about height the more...
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 05:09:46 PM »

Bruhh the bigger issue is clearly that his tibias are wwaaaayyy to long compared to his femurs even before LL his tibias are a bit long compared to his femurs. His wingspan makes this even worse tho... He definitely made the wrong choice, gaining less cm safely, worse propertions and taking a bigger risk with tibias...

After literally reading all the posts in the "proportions" section on this forum regarding femur LL where most patients did 7-8 cm the reality is that it's not going to be noticeable unless you point it out to people beforehand. Idk tho if you do more than 8+ cm or if your starting propertions is abnormal to begin with...

Dirona

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 07:56:20 PM »

Bruhh the bigger issue is clearly that his tibias are wwaaaayyy to long compared to his femurs even before LL his tibias are a bit long compared to his femurs. His wingspan makes this even worse tho... He definitely made the wrong choice, gaining less cm safely, worse propertions and taking a bigger risk with tibias...

After literally reading all the posts in the "proportions" section on this forum regarding femur LL where most patients did 7-8 cm the reality is that it's not going to be noticeable unless you point it out to people beforehand. Idk tho if you do more than 8+ cm or if your starting propertions is abnormal to begin with...

Did you do the surgery or are you just posting your garbage wisdom here?
Taking it easy

Temoc

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 01:38:28 AM »

The problem with the guy in the thumbnail of that vid is definitely the t-rex arms.
Also the weird tan and the pinkish tone of his legs, the scars(stained with povidone I think), the slightly bowed legs, also a lot thinner than before.
That's drawing lots of attentions to his legs. He wouldn't look nearly as weird without that.
But sure, ideally you should keep the 0.8 ratio, so you lengthen 5 on the femur and 4 on the tibias, not 8 on the tibias.
you gotta weigh though, weird proportions vs 2 surgeries, double the pain, double the price, double the time.

Beemer m3

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 09:02:17 PM »

u would think its 2 surgeries but its more like 5 surgeries. frame removal and then nail removal it takes a toll on your health lol. i guess precice is obsolete for that.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

Pages: [1]   Go Up