Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is LL discrepancy normal after LL surgery?  (Read 658 times)

bruhh

Is LL discrepancy normal after LL surgery?
« on: February 01, 2024, 03:28:40 AM »

As a quadrilateral patient, my PT noticed that my left femur was longer than the right, but that the right tibia was longer than the left tibia, which essentially evened out my legs so they are the same length while standing. He said a discrepancy like this is common with people who have these types of procedures, and I've read diaries on here of quad patients also having a discrepancy after femur surgery that was corrected by lengthening the tibias different lengths accordingly. I imagine it's nearly impossible to get the legs to be the same length while even bilaterally lengthening and Precice isn't truly "precise." Anyone here who had LL notice a small discrepancy? Does it affect walking gait?

LONFemurs2021

Re: Is LL discrepancy normal after LL surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 11:14:50 AM »

As a quadrilateral patient, my PT noticed that my left femur was longer than the right, but that the right tibia was longer than the left tibia, which essentially evened out my legs so they are the same length while standing. He said a discrepancy like this is common with people who have these types of procedures, and I've read diaries on here of quad patients also having a discrepancy after femur surgery that was corrected by lengthening the tibias different lengths accordingly. I imagine it's nearly impossible to get the legs to be the same length while even bilaterally lengthening and Precice isn't truly "precise." Anyone here who had LL notice a small discrepancy? Does it affect walking gait?

I got about 1 cm difference between left and right femur.
I do notice it, I think I notice it more because my left and right femur were the same length before I had the surgery.
unfortunately they don't consider it big enough of a difference to correct it surgically in my country

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 05:48:20 PM »

i noticed not all doctors concerned about it, which was surprise. Only Dr.Lee in Korea was explicitly eager about it(i saw his clip).
Measuring LL discrepancy involves xray imaging and interpretation ability, and not all LL doctors are into it.

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 11:20:38 PM »

Any discrepancy more than 0,5cm is unacceptable after LL and means that the doctor is incapable.
Also it may cause problems (especially 1cm+) and should be fixed.

bruhh

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 12:50:44 AM »

I got about 1 cm difference between left and right femur.
I do notice it, I think I notice it more because my left and right femur were the same length before I had the surgery.
unfortunately they don't consider it big enough of a difference to correct it surgically in my country

That seems like a big difference. I'm not sure if LON is more prone to this than Preice. How is your walking? Will you fix it by doing tibias?

i noticed not all doctors concerned about it, which was surprise. Only Dr.Lee in Korea was explicitly eager about it(i saw his clip).
Measuring LL discrepancy involves xray imaging and interpretation ability, and not all LL doctors are into it.

Which is strange because I routinely get x-rays and the tech and doc say it looks normal. But they've said even analyzing x-rays and measuring is not a precise measurement. I think most doctors don't care unless it's "noticeable" or will affect your walking. I know that when you have a normal bone break (ex: arm) on one side as a child then you will end up with a slight discrepancy, not sure if it's the same as an adult.

Any discrepancy more than 0,5cm is unacceptable after LL and means that the doctor is incapable.
Also it may cause problems (especially 1cm+) and should be fixed.

I think it is inevitable to have some discrepancy, you will never achieve perfection with this surgery. For example, my ERC even said I lengthened less than what I was measured at and what was analyzed on my x-ray. It was off by quite a bit, can't remember the exact amount. The surgeon just breaks the bone and places the nail, it doesn't really have much impact on how the body heals and the exact amount the ERC lengthens.

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 08:14:43 AM »

That seems like a big difference. I'm not sure if LON is more prone to this than Preice. How is your walking? Will you fix it by doing tibias?

Which is strange because I routinely get x-rays and the tech and doc say it looks normal. But they've said even analyzing x-rays and measuring is not a precise measurement. I think most doctors don't care unless it's "noticeable" or will affect your walking. I know that when you have a normal bone break (ex: arm) on one side as a child then you will end up with a slight discrepancy, not sure if it's the same as an adult.

I think it is inevitable to have some discrepancy, you will never achieve perfection with this surgery. For example, my ERC even said I lengthened less than what I was measured at and what was analyzed on my x-ray. It was off by quite a bit, can't remember the exact amount. The surgeon just breaks the bone and places the nail, it doesn't really have much impact on how the body heals and the exact amount the ERC lengthens.
I have only 1mm discrepancy between my 2 legs after LL so no, discrepancy of less than 0,3cm is for sure not ivevitable with a good doctor who knows how to exact measure the X rays.

bruhh

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 08:34:22 AM »

I have only 1mm discrepancy between my 2 legs after LL so no, discrepancy of less than 0,3cm is for sure not ivevitable with a good doctor who knows how to exact measure the X rays.

Did you do LON or Precice?

Rellec

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 09:08:33 AM »

Who was your doctor?

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 03:58:51 PM »

I did external tibias.
My doctor is confidential but it doesn't matter. Almost all LLers here who did LL with respectable doctors didn't have any discrepancy, at least more than 0,5cm.

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 08:13:14 PM »

I did external tibias.
My doctor is confidential but it doesn't matter. Almost all LLers here who did LL with respectable doctors didn't have any discrepancy, at least more than 0,5cm.
How did your doctor check the discrepancy after LL?
and how were you sure if you have 1mm difference after LL? (when even doctors don't all agree on exactness of xray)

Body Builder

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 12:54:45 AM »

I did some kind of x ray in a standing position to see the alignment of.my bones (femur and tibias) before doimg a corrective surgery in my right tibia which had some misalignment.
Both my.tibias had 1mm difference.

My doctor, during LL, measured the x rays with a special software which could meaure the exact gap.
Not anything extraordinary, all trauma surgeons have this.

Beemer m3

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 07:13:21 AM »

some doctors lengthen ur fixator in the surgery room where ur hooked up on anesthesia . no pain just growing . they got xray in the surgery room but potentially can be a little discrpancy. but im sure its not off by more then 0.3 cm
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur
Pages: [1]   Go Up