Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So is this the solution to not having to carry the external fixators fulltime?  (Read 382 times)

ekero

• Visitor

Hi, im new here.

So in my case the right option is to have external fixator for lengthening the tivia and from what ive read in the past the fixators has to be on your legs for the whole process until you can walk fully.

But recently i saw in a interview with indian surgeon Dr. Mangal Parihar he said that they now can use "locked plates". They can do the lengthening with a fixator but then put a plate on so that the patient doesnt have to have the fixator for a long time.

Does anybody have experince/knowledge about this? Thanks.

TheDream

Perhaps he is refering to the LATN (Lengthening and then Nailing) technique?

Beemer m3

U are talking about the ilizarov fixator . Some doctors make u wear it until ur bones heal. Most doctors have frame removal after u finish lengthening. There was a nail already placed in ur bones. I don't know why doctors make u wear the fixators until ur bone is healed. That's like 6 months and it's bothersome n hard to sleep. But yeh I would look for doctors that have frame removal after lengthening.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

ekero

• Visitor

Interview with Dr. Mangal Parihar - Center for Limb Lengthening - Mumbai, India

He talks about it at 20:09. Maybe i misunderstood what he is saying i dont know. Maybe its wishful thinking  ;D

Edit: I dont think im a candidate for Nail since my tibias are so damn thin.

This is from his infosite:
"When the LON Cannot be done:

If the bone to be lengthened is too thin, or too narrow, or too short, to accept a nail, LON cannot be done.

In that case, only External fixator lengthening can be done. In that event, the fixator remains on the leg till the bone is completely healed, (a process which may take 10 – 12 months for a 6 cm lengthening).

The patient is able to move around and perform most activities, but the fixators on the leg may be a bit of an impediment, depending on the patients personal and job profile."

https://sites.google.com/site/cllrpatients/faqs/cosmeticlengthening

Beemer m3

my room mate had thin bone and he had a monorail lookalike device with no nail and after lengthening doctor put in a nail. this is what i assume he did because i have hard time understanding what he told me.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur
Pages: [1]   Go Up