Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did Gnail femurs with Dr. Giotikas in 2021 now (2024) doing LATN on Tibia.  (Read 1589 times)

Nyc brother

Hi guys.

I did my LATN surgery with Dr. Giotikas a month ago. Thank G-d it went really well. I am in Athens and very happy. I was much more anxious about this surgery than G-nail. However, it turns out LATN on the tibia is 5x less painful than G-nail femurs thank G-d. It is a bit slow now. Only like 6 patients here. I heard there were times in 2023 there were 15-18 patients. I guess everyone is waiting for pmax.

Anyways, the main message I wanted to share is: thank G-d we live in a generation that has these surgeries. I started at 159.5CM with Gnail I did 9.6CM so I know I am at least 169CM. Hopefully, I can attain 7CM G-d willing with LATN. We will see. Would be awesome to be 176CM.
If being short does not bother you I am happy for you. If it does, I want you to know these surgeries are legit and there is a way out. Peace.

Link to G-nail diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68370.0

oklama

how is walking and running and stuff. I want to hit 180cm and im around 165. so id have to do 8+7 and being able to get 7 on tibs is iffy so maybe ill do like 8.5 + 6.5 or maybe ill do 8.5 + 7 or even 9 + 7 or something like that. but having decent athletic ability is important to me. I dont have any desire to play sports professionally, but I do want to be able to run and jump around and stuff so im curious how thats been for you considering its very rare for people to go over 8 in femurs
19 yrs old
goal: 173 (8cm)
looking at giotikas or becker
maybe will get to 180cm eventually

Nyc brother

Hi oklama.

After 9.5CM I felt my running ability decreased a lot. I lost the explosiveness. I can jog but not run fast.

Beemer m3

congrats on the gains u will have ok proportions with the legs now that u are doing tibias.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Nyc brother

@Beemer m3

I hope so. Thank you for the good wishes.

lucindaris

Femoral lengthening with X-Os  G-(Guichet) nails: 48900 Euro - This was the package that you picked before? Is it weight-bearing?

Nyc brother

Hi Lucindaris,

Yes, that is the package. Full weight bearing.

NailedLegs

Congratulations on the successful limb lengthening. I am happy for you. That is quite a lot of length you did, please keep us updated on your recovery. I'm curious how your explosiveness and running will come back. Perhaps you just need some more time?
"Welcome to the worst nightmare of all... reality!"

Current LL plan:
QLL in Early 2025 using the PRECICE nail with Dr. Birkholtz.
4cm tibia, 4cm femur. One year later, re-break for another 4+4. 167cm -> 175cm -> 183cm

oklama

Hi oklama.

After 9.5CM I felt my running ability decreased a lot. I lost the explosiveness. I can jog but not run fast.

Do you expect to recover further? are you still seeing improvement and do you work out your legs to try and recover them further? I know your surgery was a while ago so im unsure if further improvement will happen. Thats kind of unfortunate, overall id take that over being short but id still like to be able to get some level of speed out.
19 yrs old
goal: 173 (8cm)
looking at giotikas or becker
maybe will get to 180cm eventually

lucindaris

Hi Lucindaris,

Yes, that is the package. Full weight bearing.

Thank you for the answer. I do really think about Giotikas or Becker because I need to stay in European Time-Zone for work. How was the entire process, did you work remotely through all of the stages? Is it possible to drive a car with Gnail after certain time. How much time on average it takes to get 8-9 CM?

Nyc brother

@ lucindaris

G-nail was painful for me. Most patients do not work when doing G-nail. I could barely do 1 hour of work especially the first month. Maybe in month 2-3 it’s possible to do more , like 4-5 hours. After you finish lengthening you should be able to drive but not during lengthening, I don’t think so. It will take 3 months to hit 9cm.

Nyc brother

I went to the doctor. I am at 2cm now. After surgery the doctor told me not to lengthen for 10 days this is why it has been a bit slow. Overall, really grateful to G-d. No complaints. Pinsites look good and no pain.  Tibias at .75 per day is slower. Every where I go people assume I am in a lot of pain because LATN does look scary with bulky frames and lots of pins. The reality is this is much less painful than internal nails.

DonBones

Thank you for the answer. I do really think about Giotikas or Becker because I need to stay in European Time-Zone for work. How was the entire process, did you work remotely through all of the stages? Is it possible to drive a car with Gnail after certain time. How much time on average it takes to get 8-9 CM?

Another patient who stayed in the room next to me drove his own car home from hospital. The hospital was in St Ingbert, and he drove all the way to Bavaria, which is a 4 hour drive, give or take. This was about 10 days after he had his (first) surgery. A few weeks later, that same patient also had to drive back because his nail stopped clicking (presumably due to premature consolidation). Betz numbed him up and clicked 60 times in one go to release the nail. That put him in a lot of pain, but he managed to drive back alright. So yes, driving is possible pretty much immediately, though it is certainly not pleasant.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Post Nail-Removal Adaptation

lucindaris

Another patient who stayed in the room next to me drove his own car home from hospital. The hospital was in St Ingbert, and he drove all the way to Bavaria, which is a 4 hour drive, give or take. This was about 10 days after he had his (first) surgery. A few weeks later, that same patient also had to drive back because his nail stopped clicking (presumably due to premature consolidation). Betz numbed him up and clicked 60 times in one go to release the nail. That put him in a lot of pain, but he managed to drive back alright. So yes, driving is possible pretty much immediately, though it is certainly not pleasant.

Interesting, and how was your pain with Betz Nail?

Beemer m3

dam makes me want to do g-nail. im only aiming for 5.5 cm in the femurs. im just waiting for pmax. taking so long.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

Nyc brother

Hi guys.

I wanted to update. The mental aspect of the surgery is real and crucial. For example, thank G-d I am doing really well at PT and flexibility. No issues with pin sites. Thank G-d. But I did use the majority of my money on these two surgeries and it gets to me at times with anxiety. I remember the doctor telling me some people the metal frames it bothers them mentally and it has an affect on their recovery. (For me the frames don’t bother me at all) the point being mental health and strength is crucial when doing the surgeries.

Nyc brother

This is a bit random but wanted to share.

When I did G-nail and went from 159 to 169CM I told girls I did the surgery. They did not care. They did not reject me because of that. The reason being is after surgery it’s hard for someone who does not know you to imagine you were shorter. This is just my experience. Maybe others had a different experience.

Nyc brother

Overall, I want to clear some things about Dr Giotikas. I think he is a great surgeon he knows what he is doing. Meaning actually cutting the bone and technical skills. However, 2 things. 1. The city of Athens is not the most comfortable. My friend is doing surgery now by Becker. He is staying in a fancy hotel which has a pool and PT. Doctor Becker checks on him everyday. Of course it’s luxury. But do you that know he is paying 150 EU a day for that? In Athens things are much cheaper but it’s a hassle to get from the hotel/airbnb to PT and to the hospital. They do have a driver though so somewhat easier now. 2. G-nail clicking is painful. Whoever said otherwise is lying. We are trading the ability to weight bear instead of precice however the price is more pain. It’s not fair to   on the doctor when G-nail itself is way more of a painful process than precice.

Rellec

How are your proportions after 9.5 cm? What is your sitting height?

Nyc brother

Hi Rellec,

Great questions. Before surgery I was short and stocky. I had thick legs. Wide hips. After my 9.5cm my legs looks great. Skinny but not too skinny. Everyone says it looks like I lost a lot of weight and I look great. Even better than before surgery. Most people think this was always my normal height. Again this is because I was stocky. If you are very skinny to begin with and do 9.5 cm I agree your legs can look like noodles and I would advice against it. My sitting height I don’t know.

musicloverincal

• Visitor

In NYC Brother we trust! 

1.  Can you tell us your weight going into this? 
2.  How long is it recommend to stay there? 
3.  Are you in the hotel?  If so, how are their meals?
4   How do you send payment for this surgeries?  Do they require you wire them $.  How do you pay the extra stuff like the aids?

Nyc brother

Hi musicloverincal,

I made sure I was not overweight to do G-nail. This is really important. I know it’s hard to believe but I lost 40 pounds in 3 months before the surgery. My assumption was the more weight I have is more pressure on the legs. In reality I was right. The more muscles and fat you have the harder the clicks for G-nail will be. You can ask anyone and everyone. The super skinny small guys usually have it much easier. I came to G-nail in 2021 at 137 pounds or 62 Kilos.
Duration of stay: that’s a great question! It seems the majority of the British patients stay for 4 weeks and then go back to England. This is because they feel comfortable knowing they will see the doctor in London face to face. (Doctor is 2 weeks in Athens and 2 weeks in London) All other patients usually stay until they finish lengthening for their desired goals. It’s not like Betz/Becker where it’s common to go back to your home country and continue clicking.
The Hotel where the patients are is called Nova Hotel. I personally have an Airbnb but it’s seems the other patients are happy with the food and the hotel.
Payment is wired of course. You have to pay in Euros. So use a website like “Wise” to convert your currency to their currency while also being able to make a wire transfer at the same time.

Nyc brother

Update.

I am at 4.8CM now thank G-d. Removal of frames is scheduled for May 9th G-d willing. I should be at 6.5CM total. I am happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up