Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Length of Stay In Lengthening Country  (Read 973 times)

59Male

• Visitor
Length of Stay In Lengthening Country
« on: March 06, 2024, 09:26:12 PM »

What doctor did you do your lengthening with and how long were you required to stay at the hospital and outpatient facility? I am trying to gauge how long I would need to take off of work. Thank you.

JustineCollins

Re: Length of Stay In Lengthening Country
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 04:05:15 PM »

In few days, Hospital will make you out, Recovery is what makes or breaks your life. Surgery, recovery, removal, recovery is important

Beemer m3

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 06:52:38 AM »

I did 7 days in hospital. 2 months lengthening Including hospital stay. 40 days pt then went home 16 hr flight with crutches. Stayed home for like 2 months. It was cold n raining so I didn't walk much with crutches. Didn't go gym but I can work now.
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

ekero

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 06:47:26 AM »

I did 7 days in hospital. 2 months lengthening Including hospital stay. 40 days pt then went home 16 hr flight with crutches. Stayed home for like 2 months. It was cold n raining so I didn't walk much with crutches. Didn't go gym but I can work now.

Wow thats a shorter time than i thought was needed. Im gonna do the same lengthening as you on the tibias in Russia with the LATN method. Do you think i can make it out as quick as you?

Also do u know if Kulesh/Solomin is still active? Thx and sorry TS for the offT.

Beemer m3

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2024, 08:01:39 AM »

i dunno what latn is but if u have nails inserted you can focus on your knees and ankles. i did step ups and down on a wooden chair stable enough to stand on. held onto a table and an angle board for my ankles. during those 2 months at home i was at home with crutches and using a cane. u might have a gait where u can wear a jacket to hide it. im just walking and going up stairs at work and using that as physical therapy. so yeh.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

ekero

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 09:05:25 AM »

i dunno what latn is but if u have nails inserted you can focus on your knees and ankles. i did step ups and down on a wooden chair stable enough to stand on. held onto a table and an angle board for my ankles. during those 2 months at home i was at home with crutches and using a cane. u might have a gait where u can wear a jacket to hide it. im just walking and going up stairs at work and using that as physical therapy. so yeh.

Short description of LATN:
"The procedure was also introduced to reduce the time of external fixation. The procedure is quite similar like LON, this also required two surgical procedures but in LATN first surgery is done for the osteotomy and external fixation and once the desired distraction is done the second procedure is done to remove the external fixation and insert the intramedullary nail.

Pins and wires are placed to allow subsequent intramedullary nailing. At the end of the distraction phase reamed the large diameter, full length, statically locked intramedullary nails are inserted and the frames are removed. This is suggested that reaming through the regenerate enhances and quicken the bone healing.

In LATN lengthening the patient will allow the partial weight bearing during the consolidation period with the help of crutch and walker."

So the nail is inserted after distraction. Im gonna look into this a bit more. Im not sure if the Russian surgeons offer ilizarov but that would be interesting as well. Im looking to avoid a stay more than 3-4 months at most if possible and safe.

How many % have you recovered would u say?

Beemer m3

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 08:55:26 AM »

latn oh yeh just as i thought. more of European and Russian countries are doing that.
i was watching alot of videos from there fb and notice 40 days after lengthening to walk with crutches is healthy and good enough to go home and not use pt. but expect to do your own pt. on paleys website recommend 6 hrs of pt a day from start of lengthening to whenever. rn its almost 5 months after lengthening n im walking with a slight gait on my hips but its not noticeable. if i cant walk straight i can limp it out. sometimes i need to balance my self walking. i cant run down stairs like one leg each going down step by step and do it fast. my ankles n bones arent fully healed. it feels like jumping down which i cant do.
sometimes when i stand up from my car you can see my back bent and u have to straighten it out with chest up. just stiff not like natural like when u grew up.
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

CLLvet

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:49:03 PM »

Short description of LATN:
"The procedure was also introduced to reduce the time of external fixation. The procedure is quite similar like LON, this also required two surgical procedures but in LATN first surgery is done for the osteotomy and external fixation and once the desired distraction is done the second procedure is done to remove the external fixation and insert the intramedullary nail.

Pins and wires are placed to allow subsequent intramedullary nailing. At the end of the distraction phase reamed the large diameter, full length, statically locked intramedullary nails are inserted and the frames are removed. This is suggested that reaming through the regenerate enhances and quicken the bone healing.

In LATN lengthening the patient will allow the partial weight bearing during the consolidation period with the help of crutch and walker."

So the nail is inserted after distraction. Im gonna look into this a bit more. Im not sure if the Russian surgeons offer ilizarov but that would be interesting as well. Im looking to avoid a stay more than 3-4 months at most if possible and safe.

How many % have you recovered would u say?

I did LATN in Greece last year. 6.2 cm lengthening. I was fully weight bearing (and mobile with crutches) during the entire lengthening period. As soon as I finished lengthening, we removed the frames and inserted an internal fracture nail to stabilize the bone. I continued to be able to walk with crutches after the frame removal/ nail insertion surgeon. And my recovery afterwards was fairly quick (in my opinion).

Let me know if you have any questions about LATN specifically (or about the process in Greece). Good luck.
174 cm (starting height), 188 cm (current height)

-8 cm femur w/ Stryde in 2019, with Dr. Giotikas (Greece)
-6 cm tibia w/ Taylor Spatial Frames (TSF)  Lengthening and Then Nailing (LATN) in 2023, with Giotikas (Greece)

ekero

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 07:58:57 AM »

latn oh yeh just as i thought. more of European and Russian countries are doing that.
i was watching alot of videos from there fb and notice 40 days after lengthening to walk with crutches is healthy and good enough to go home and not use pt. but expect to do your own pt. on paleys website recommend 6 hrs of pt a day from start of lengthening to whenever. rn its almost 5 months after lengthening n im walking with a slight gait on my hips but its not noticeable. if i cant walk straight i can limp it out. sometimes i need to balance my self walking. i cant run down stairs like one leg each going down step by step and do it fast. my ankles n bones arent fully healed. it feels like jumping down which i cant do.
sometimes when i stand up from my car you can see my back bent and u have to straighten it out with chest up. just stiff not like natural like when u grew up.

Ok thats interesting, is this normal for everybody or is it because you possibly didnt follow full PT schedule?
 And when would you say that your bones fully connected? Also 6h per day seems overwhelming, are we talking active stretching and excersises or is walking included in this PT?

I did LATN in Greece last year. 6.2 cm lengthening. I was fully weight bearing (and mobile with crutches) during the entire lengthening period. As soon as I finished lengthening, we removed the frames and inserted an internal fracture nail to stabilize the bone. I continued to be able to walk with crutches after the frame removal/ nail insertion surgeon. And my recovery afterwards was fairly quick (in my opinion).

Let me know if you have any questions about LATN specifically (or about the process in Greece). Good luck.
Hey man, thanks alot for the reply! Its very helpful when its coming from an actual LATN patient. Do you have a diary for your process? I would like to know many things, for example:

- How long did the lengthening take?
- Is it true that 50% of patients who insert nail will have permanent knee pain? I have read this from a few patients and doctors. Whats your experience?
- Is the nail removed later?
- Did you do sports/heavy lifting before and if so how is your form today?
- Did you stay full recovery time in greece and did PT or did you do like CLLvet and recovered at home?
- Im gonna do 5.5CM on tibia, did you do 1mm/day?

Thanks alot for your time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up