Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does femur precice increase more than lengthened cm?  (Read 791 times)

lovinglonglegs

does femur precice increase more than lengthened cm?
« on: April 16, 2024, 04:11:00 AM »

i heard after surgery patient immediately gains around 1mm. is this true? if so how? and is it really 1mm?(why not 5mm? if 5mm isn't it better)

Ted68

Re: does femur precice increase more than lengthened cm?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 09:32:26 AM »

All surgeons start with a 2-3mm gap.
Only on full weight bearing, like Gnail and Betzbone, they start with a 5mm gap...

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 05:26:18 PM »

you mean after surgery patient has immediate height gain of 2~3mm in Precice2?

Ted68

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 05:40:59 PM »

Yes.

JustineCollins

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 08:49:56 AM »

Actually they use magnetic devices to lengthen 1mm every day after a week of surgery and goes till a limit of lengthening. that's it. 1mm is because 1 week of surgery isn't a long time and sudden increase in lengthening will give negetive effects on muscles and nerves. So, as we know these things also lengthen through out surgery. So, that's how it goes.

Maison

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2024, 11:26:10 AM »

According to the Nuvasive manual, surgeons are instructed to manipulate the ERC during surgery to lengthen PRECICE nail by 1-2mm.
Therefore, it is standard for the bone to be lengthened by 1-2mm during surgery with PRECICE.

Ted68

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2024, 01:13:13 PM »

I have talked with 3 doctors, personally, and they said they prefer/they do a 2-3mm gap in Precice surgery, so they can avoid the ends cut to rub each other, because it gives extra pain.
Me, personally, I had a bad and traumatic cut with only 1mm gap or less left, to my right tibia, and I got extra pain from rubbing ends of bone !... The left tibia had a much better cut, they left 2-3mm gap and no rubbing and no pain
Also, they said they can do with no problem 5mm on full weight bearing nails, because few days later the patients must start walking, so that will stimulate the callus formation to start.

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2024, 07:53:45 PM »

I have talked with 3 doctors, personally, and they said they prefer/they do a 2-3mm gap in Precice surgery, so they can avoid the ends cut to rub each other, because it gives extra pain.
Me, personally, I had a bad and traumatic cut with only 1mm gap or less left, to my right tibia, and I got extra pain from rubbing ends of bone !... The left tibia had a much better cut, they left 2-3mm gap and no rubbing and no pain
Also, they said they can do with no problem 5mm on full weight bearing nails, because few days later the patients must start walking, so that will stimulate the callus formation to start.

How did doctors say and your doctor gave you the instant 2~3mm increase right after surgery? did they just made 2~3mm gap during the surgery?

bruhh

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 08:25:56 PM »

Yes, you gain more right after surgery and I ended up getting more length than what the ERC was showing.

Ted68

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 08:35:19 PM »

How did doctors say and your doctor gave you the instant 2~3mm increase right after surgery? did they just made 2~3mm gap during the surgery?

Yes, they always do that gap.
I got 3 surgeries. So, every time, next day, they did an x-ray to my bones so they can see how it looks. And they give me the pictures, too...

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 04:59:32 AM »

Yes, they always do that gap.
I got 3 surgeries. So, every time, next day, they did an x-ray to my bones so they can see how it looks. And they give me the pictures, too...
for real? isn't it, by any chance, the distortion from Xray picture which always shows a few mm longer than actual?

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2024, 05:00:18 AM »

Yes, you gain more right after surgery and I ended up getting more length than what the ERC was showing.
how many mm is your gain from the surgery itself?

Ted68

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2024, 06:25:59 AM »

for real? isn't it, by any chance, the distortion from Xray picture which always shows a few mm longer than actual?

Yes, for real.

Lovinglonglegs, forget about the first time gap !... its not important.
Your main problem is to check the exact bones lengthen AFTER finishing the total length, so you can be sure you have no discrepancies !

Maison

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 03:07:09 AM »

To my understanding, it is not standard practice to create a gap by moving the bone a few millimeters without using an ERC during PRECICE surgery.
In standard surgical procedures, the lengthening amount doesn't become longer than the maximum extension length of PRECICE (8 cm).
However, it is true that creating a gap without using an ERC during surgery can result in a greater final bone lengthening amount.
I would like to know about doctors who adopt this method in PRECICE surgery.

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 06:22:54 AM »

Yes, for real.

Lovinglonglegs, forget about the first time gap !... its not important.
Your main problem is to check the exact bones lengthen AFTER finishing the total length, so you can be sure you have no discrepancies !
that is right, thanks for the comments

To my understanding, it is not standard practice to create a gap by moving the bone a few millimeters without using an ERC during PRECICE surgery.
In standard surgical procedures, the lengthening amount doesn't become longer than the maximum extension length of PRECICE (8 cm).
However, it is true that creating a gap without using an ERC during surgery can result in a greater final bone lengthening amount.
I would like to know about doctors who adopt this method in PRECICE surgery.
as you see the comments and from what i heard before, it's said there's immediate gap. I personally hope precice can increase more than 8cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up