Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slower distraction rate = faster consolidation?  (Read 1457 times)

Impromptu

Slower distraction rate = faster consolidation?
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »

Hey guys I was wondering if a slower distraction rate would lead to a faster consolidation. A person who distracts at a slower rate will end up finishing his lengthening phase much later but does that translate into a shorter consolidation phase? Is the time to recovery measured from operation date or should be X amount of days after lengthening is complete. Thanks!

Sweden

Re: Slower distraction rate = faster consolidation?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:21 AM »

He will only consolidate before he has reached his goal.

If you exercise during lengthening you'll be fine.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:16:01 AM »

Aside from your own genetics, the next biggest factor in consolidation rate is frame stability. If the frame is unstable then it will take longer for your bones to consolidate than if your frame has optimal stability.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Samsunny889

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »

I was looking to establish a relationship between distraction rate and faster recovery, and came across this abandoned diary. Any thoughts to share... focus is tibia on externals mainly Lon

financialadvisor

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 12:38:33 AM »

I didn't find any articles that hypothesize this, usually, 1mm distraction means that body thinks that it's normal bone break and chemically produces new bone.

I didn't find how to improve the average of 2 months per cm figure, besides the nailing or LATP. I will ask about stem cell injection when I visit my doctor for initial consultations.

Haven't heard about frame stability though, from what I read so far the more you are active during consolidation the faster your bone grows due to muscle activity and blood flow.

Body Builder

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 12:59:43 AM »

The slower the distraction the better callus is formed which leads to faster consolidation.
But too slow distraction will cause premature consolidation which is a big problem for LL.

So there should be a balance between slow distraction but not very slow to cause problems.
For tibias, even 0.75mm are ok after 2-3cm till the end. Thats what I did and I didn't have premature consolidation.
But the real difference to faster consolidation is indeed when you bear full weight and walk.

Stem cells and all these are nonsense. No proof that they work and the difference would be minimal.
Also, the average for 1cm for external tibias is not 2 months but 45 days for a healthy person.
It is not that much I believe. LL needs patience, it is not a boobjob.

Samsunny889

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »

The slower the distraction the better callus is formed which leads to faster consolidation.
But too slow distraction will cause premature consolidation which is a big problem for LL.

So there should be a balance between slow distraction but not very slow to cause problems.
For tibias, even 0.75mm are ok after 2-3cm till the end. Thats what I did and I didn't have premature consolidation.
But the real difference to faster consolidation is indeed when you bear full weight and walk.

Stem cells and all these are nonsense. No proof that they work and the difference would be minimal.
Also, the average for 1cm for external tibias is not 2 months but 45 days for a healthy person.
It is not that much I believe. LL needs patience, it is not a boobjob.

Is it good to go 0.75 for the first 2-3 cm and 0.5 thereafter, the goal is 5cm tibias. I think it will be good for soft tissues as well. What your experience as a veteran say

financialadvisor

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »

There's actually some studies that stem cells improve bone healing.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30444751/

"All eight patients showed an improvement in the regenerated bone, with an average healing index of 23.1 days/cm (range: 18.7-23.8 days/cm)."

And Ossron commercialized this therapy OSSRON - Bone Marrow Stem Cell Therapy(SCRM Kitâ„¢).

financialadvisor

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 08:46:55 PM »

It's not a matter of opinion, but your body's ability to create new bone.

I'd say 0.5 is ok after you've distracted 20-30mm when premature consolidation is less likely.

All in all, it does not have an impact on the overall result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up