Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is arm-lengthening that easy?  (Read 5599 times)

Overdozer

Is arm-lengthening that easy?
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »

I was thinking about it, considering the amount I lengthened, but I just can't afford any more time to lose. But I've heard and from the patients also that lengthening arms is no where near as bad as lengthening legs, I mean look at Apo: he's lengthening his arms, while starring in a movie? And when you think about it, for sure it shouldn't be as bad, considering you don't need crutches, you move fine and you can use your arms for daily basic tasks. So you should be able to get it while not losing any time with your life. What do you think?
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

kunta kinte

Re: Is arm-lengthening that easy?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

Do you think arm lengthening would have an impact on your finger movement during and after lengthening? Lets say someone is a guitar or a piano player or does anything in which his fingers need to be fast and accurate.

In my opinion it should be less painful just because you don't have any weight on your arms as opose to your legs while lengthening.
Btw, do you know how much do people lengthen, surely you can't lengthen an arm bone as you can a tibia or a femur.

Overdozer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »

Do you think arm lengthening would have an impact on your finger movement during and after lengthening? Lets say someone is a guitar or a piano player or does anything in which his fingers need to be fast and accurate.
I doubt you lose any function. It says here that humerus lengthening is the safest of all:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323419/
The lengthening procedure was well tolerated by all the patients. The patients’ co-operation was favourable, and all could maintain their normal daily activities – with slight restrictions
We found that the humerus had almost the same healing index (range: 25–40 day/cm) as the bones of the lower extremity, but patients who had humeral lengthening had a faster functional recovery. Functional recovery following tibial or femoral lengthening takes about 32 months; this is in contrast with humeral lengthening, which takes only 8 months.

Btw, do you know how much do people lengthen, surely you can't lengthen an arm bone as you can a tibia or a femur.
I know it's usual for achondroplasia patients to lengthen 10cm on each arm, but that's because they're lengthening overall more than 30cm in their legs. For me lengthening 5cm for a gain in arm span of 10cm sounds the most optimal

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

GeTs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »

We'll soon lengthen everything it's possible to, except the brain who will get shorter and shorter ;D

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:34:05 PM »

I haven't seen anyone really lengthening their arms, only Apo says he has (but we have no proof he did). It's really of very little use, because you can't lengthen your forearm, only your humerus, and it would look really weird if your humerus were longer than your forearms. Forget about it.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Overdozer

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »

I haven't seen anyone really lengthening their arms, only Apo says he has (but we have no proof he did). It's really of very little use, because you can't lengthen your forearm, only your humerus, and it would look really weird if your humerus were longer than your forearms. Forget about it.
They actually lengthen forearms too, I know my doc does. I don't think it'll look very weird, unless you lengthen too much -  the same principle applies when you're lengthening your lower limbs.

theuprising

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »

They actually lengthen forearms too, I know my doc does. I don't think it'll look very weird, unless you lengthen too much -  the same principle applies when you're lengthening your lower limbs.

Isn't you lengthening too much on your lower limbs what led you to want to lengthen your arms?
Its just attempting to compensate lengthening more than was appropriate for your original height.

Taller

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »

Have you met anyone who lengthened their forearms, exilde? If so, how was their functional recovery? Does your doctor use an intramedullary guide wire? In my opinion, long forearms look much better and much more manly than long humerus bones, bit safety really ought to come first if you're going to lengthen your arms.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:59:30 AM »

Humerus lengthening is comparatively easier than lengthening of the tibia or femur, but there are risks like with any lengthening. One of the complications with humerus lengthening is that you can end up with limp wrist like this:

It can be brought back to normal through stretching, but I'm sure it would be irritating to have, especially if you lengthen bilaterally and end up with it on both hands.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Cannibal

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

So one of the risks with humerus lengthening is that you could end up looking really gay? Feel sorry for the guy that ends up with one or two limp wrists for months. LMAO.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
Pages: [1]   Go Up