Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital  (Read 119584 times)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: Dr Mangal Parihar (Mumbai India)- Mangal Anand Hospital
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2016, 11:27:47 PM »

i'm more then likely to be looking at external route so was looking to see if i could be filled in on two things for this specific doctor;

rough costs of everything, hotels, food, surgery - etc

and length of time for lengthening 5CM-6CM

Here's the list of expenses I put together after I returned home (2014 exchange rate):

Surgery  -  $14,977 / 900,000 Rupees
Hotel Stay  -  $1,500 per month (at Hotel Maharana Inn)
X-Rays & Appointment  -  $240.00 (charges at front desk ranged between 1,000 - 3,000 INR)
Physiotherapy at Hotel -  $17.00 per session (Mr Chaudhary's rate)
Medications      -  $40.00
Zimmer Frame  -   $60.00
Wheelchair  -   $434.00 / 26,000 INR (I bought the most expensive wheelchair in the catalog but there were many cheaper options available)
Custom Splints  -  $55.00 (I recommend each patient to get splints made through Mr Shringare because they're sturdier than ones from local carpenters)
Dressings  -   $265.00 (each box cost 600 INR and had enough gauze for 2.5 changes)

Food is cheap. If you eat at local places and don't go to Domino's each day you'll only need to add a couple hundred bucks for expenses. I think it was around $23,000 USD total for everything when not including the cost of airfare.

I stayed 4 months for 6 cm. Frames were removed after 1 year from the initial surgery date.

Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

exmachine

• Visitor
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »

Wait, so you stayed at a hotel for 4 months? But weren't your frames removed only after a year? Does that mean you can go home after 4 months already?

Because I'm computing the expenses and lol, if I get LON from parihar and stay at a hotel for 6 months, the hotel cost will be bigger than the medical and surgery costs.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »

Most of the doctors let you go back home after lengthening phase.

onemorefoot

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2016, 12:09:16 AM »

Is better to have a doctor near when you are doing this process.
Budget will determine my future.

Penguinn

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2016, 05:48:00 AM »

Wait, so you stayed at a hotel for 4 months? But weren't your frames removed only after a year? Does that mean you can go home after 4 months already
You can go once the lengthening is over.

exmachine

• Visitor
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2016, 06:07:14 AM »

Also, did Parihar evaluate you psychologically before limb lengthening? I mean, did he check for self-harm scars or any of that sort?  I'm quite stable but back in my teenage years I've had some self-harm scars that aren't that visible unless inspected thoroughly.

onemorefoot

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »

sexmachine if you think he will think that you are suicide, the scars in your body wouldnt be on your back, if scars were in some part that could be touched by hands be a little worried.

Mtall

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2016, 04:49:50 AM »

Notes from my consultation- October 2016:

So my consultation is done. After months of reading about him, it was a good thing to finally be sitting across the table and talking to Dr. Parihar.

Points I noticed about Dr. Parihar:
1.   Straightforward and no-nonsense type, he won't bs about anything to you
2.   May come across as aloof in the start, but warms up once the conversation progresses
3.   He doesn't try to "sell" the surgery to you. In fact, he continuously questioned my beliefs about how life will be after I become taller, asked me what if my expectations are wrong, etc etc.
4.   He really knows his stuff, he came across as pretty confident and knowledgeable.

I landed up at the clinic at around 5 PM, and was taken to Dr. Divya's room first. I had to introduce to him what I was there for, and he asked me how I came to know about the surgery, what research I've done, and basically wanted to see whether I know what I'm getting myself into. We talked about how height affects success with women (Dr. Divya pointed out some celebrities who were my height, and asked me if I'm sure height was really causing a problem or it was just my imagination).

Dr. Parihar and I also had an extensive debate on whether I'm right in worrying about my height affecting my success in women. But I told him my other concerns as well (moving to the West, career aspects, etc). In the end, I think we did finally reach a middle ground on the impact my height is or could have in the future.

I was clear to both Dr. Divya and Dr. Parihar that I only wanted 5-6 cms.
I also assured them that my parents will be in on this, because they both said that it is required for them to know.

Both Dr. Divya and Dr. Parihar did not have any specific comments on the forum, but cautioned me against taking medical advice from anyone here, saying people either overstate problems or understate them.

I asked a whole lot of questions, which are listed below with the answers I got from Dr. Parihar. I think he was slightly amused that I was asking so many questions, because he asked whether I'm really a college student, or a PhD researcher. Lol :D  I don't blame him, because I just went on and on, from one question to another.

Here's the Q&A:
1.   Since I have a slight case of bowlegs, I asked if femural lengthening would worsen the condition. He said it won't, especially considering I'm doing only 5-6 cms, and even if it did, it can be simulated on a computer and preventions can be done. Nothing to worry about.

2.   I asked about lingering and permanent pains like screw pains and rod pains, and he said I shouldn't worry about it if I'm doing only 5-6 cms. These problems usually come with insane amounts of lengthening.

3.   Permanent pains should not happen, if you keep to safe lengthening limits.
Once the lengthening phase is over, the pains & aches reduce drastically; they may come & go here and there, but after full recovery you shouldn't feel anything. You could expect come-and-go aches & pains for upto a year post-op.

4.   Dr. Parihar inserts the nail from the hip. He said he could do it from the knee also, but prefers not to.

5.   The main painkillers they prescribe immediately after the surgery are Ibuprofen and Nimesulide.
After that, Paracetamol or Ultracet is prescribed. He hasn't come across a patient till now that has needed stronger than this.
About pain, he said that there's a line to draw between "no-pain" and "tolerable pain", but anyway, he said not to worry so much about the pain, and not to try and micro-manage it. We'll take it as it goes, he said.
None of his patients have ever gotten so bad with pain that they said "I wish I never did this".

6.   I asked him about how to determine whether your bones are strong enough for LL, and he said that through the blood tests, they will know how your general health is; and if your general health is good, your bones should be good too.

7.   With the Precice nail, he doesn't see a chance of losing height already gained.

8.   My worst fears were confirmed when he said that the catheter, in most cases, is required and non negotiable :( He said that this a serious surgery and they need to monitor you so they need the catheter in.

9.   IT Band Release: He said that he will make an on the spot decision towards the end of the surgery as to whether to release the IT band or not, but will most likely do it.
He said that if he has a doubt on whether to do it or not, he would go ahead and do it, so he would err on the side of release.

10.   Rate of lengthening: 1 mm per day, could come down to 0.75 mm depending on how my body reacts.
The lengthening from start to finish is more or less continuous, but some lengthening holidays could be granted here and there, if there was excessive pain.

11.   If the lengthening had to stop on any one leg, for any reason, they would rebreak my femur at a slightly different location and restart the lengthening.

12.   Costs: 9,00,000 INR from the hospital's end plus the cost of the Precice 2 nails (which is subject to the exchange rate)

13.   I also asked him what I could do to make it easier for me, and since I have at least 6 months to go, he said I should start stretching and working on my flexibility.
Flexibility is always a good thing for LL, he said.

I hope this contributes to the knowledge of this forum. When I start my LL journey, I will definitely write a diary too.
Special thanks to KiloKahn and Penguinn for introducing this doctor to us.
I feel this consultation was a watershed moment; now I know that I'm 100% doing it, and I'm already on the way. Some lose ends in life need to be fixed first, but I'm reasonably sure about doing this sometime next year. Exactly when, I can't say, but this is a given now: MTall needs those 5 cms. Period.

onemorefoot

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2016, 04:58:16 AM »

is Parihar  like 6 2"???? Just curiosity.

Mtall

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2016, 05:13:17 AM »

He's really tall, yeah.

Penguinn

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »

Like 6'2 or 6'3. He dwarfs all other Indian doctors, including Dr. Divya who's probably 5'8.

onemorefoot

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »

Divya 5 8", I thought he was 5 10". are a lot of people in India such heights??

Mtall

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »

For the middle and upper classes, 5'7" to 5'9" is generally what you will see, although you will have a fair amount of company if you're 5'5" or 5'6" as well.

Penguinn

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »

He could be 5'10...little hard to tell from my angle. ;D

What Mtall said. I've said this before, the average college going dude I see must be 5'7 or so, but anywhere from 5'5 - 5'9 is the normal range.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2016, 08:04:55 PM »

I didn't see one person even close to Dr Parihar's height while I was in India. He's a tall dude at around 6'2 from what I could gather, but from his hospital pics I thought he was around 6'6+ based on how much taller he is than his staff. I almost wanted to ask him if he ever felt uncomfortable growing up being so much taller than his peers, but decided against it.

onemorefoot

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2016, 08:13:36 PM »

And Divya, in some post one said that he was 5 11", what do you think Kilo?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:33 PM »

My guess would be 5'10, give or take, just from photos and what I can remember. I did a before and after standing photo with one of Dr Parihar's team, which IIRC was Dr Divya. That could help me better guess how tall he is, but I never asked for a copy of the photo lol.

Stadiometer

• Esquire "Esq."
2017 Price Update- Dr. Parihar
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »

Stadiometer

• Esquire "Esq."
Re: 2017 Price Update- Dr. Parihar
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »

DreamOf180cm

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2017, 06:00:09 PM »

Thanks for this! So external only with ilizarov is 900,000 Rupee? Is there an extra frame cost or is it included? I looked in the links but I don't think I found a definitive answer.
Height: 171.5
Goal: 177cm
Dream: 182.5cm

onemorefoot

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:46 AM »

The fixators are for free in Mangal Anad, just pay for nails if you go for LON. Do you think that precice 2 will be out of the market soon or it will stay for at least 5- 6 years? I may can pay my surgery with Dr. Parihar, but if precice nails continue increasing in cost then will be near to impossible.

sashawiak

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »

Seems like the prices went down from last year?

DreamOf180cm

« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

Complications not included?  ???
Height: 171.5
Goal: 177cm
Dream: 182.5cm

onemorefoot

« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »

With Dr. Parihar complications will be uncommon. The only concerning complication you have to keep in mind would be delayed consolidation because that could stop lengthening process, but is not common less if you are not smoker.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »

His price has remained constant in Indian Rupees. The favorable exchange rate has made it less costly than years prior though.

Rod Thick

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »

What does it cost in terms of food, housing, and physical therapy to stay close to Dr. Parihar while lengthening?
Banned: Multiple Accounts (Datum)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

What does it cost in terms of food, housing, and physical therapy to stay close to Dr. Parihar while lengthening?

When I was there it was about $50 per day at a hotel when a long term discount was applied. Phsyiotherapy is part of the surgery fee if you do it at Dr Parihar's clinic. Home visits will probably depend on how far you are for the physio to travel, but I was charged 1,000 INR per session which was $17.00 then and less than $15 now. Forget the exact prices, but food was very inexpensive unless I ordered from Domino's which was the same as what they'd charge here in the States.

Greatana

• Visitor
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »

Hey Kilo, I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of heading over next month with Dr Parihar for external tibias. I just had a couple questions?

How did you pay? As in, how do you transfer money from accounts in India?
Does he allow you to lengthen less than .75 mm per day? Say, .66mm?
What percent would you say you've recovered? Do you think you'll ever return to normal?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »

Hey Kilo, I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of heading over next month with Dr Parihar for external tibias. I just had a couple questions?

How did you pay? As in, how do you transfer money from accounts in India?
Does he allow you to lengthen less than .75 mm per day? Say, .66mm?
What percent would you say you've recovered? Do you think you'll ever return to normal?

It may depend on whether or not your bank has a branch in Mumbai, but because I bank with Wells Fargo what I had to do was talk to a banker in the States over the phone and set up a joint account with a relative. Once the account was set up the same day, I transferred my money into that joint account and had the relative in the States then transfer that money to Dr Parihar's bank with his account info that he provided me. Wells would only execute wire transfers that large if one of the account holders did it at the bank in person, so I couldn't just call and ask them to do it over the phone and that's why I had to have the relative do it. If you're 100% going with Dr Parihar and you have a surgery date scheduled, then you could make it easier by transferring to his bank ahead of time. Or you could contact your bank and ask them for recommendations on wiring to accounts that are with Indian banks. They might have a different procedure.

I had distraction devices put on that did .25 mm per turn automatically, so I could only do .75 or 1 mm on a lengthening day - THIS is what they looked like. If he doesn't put them on then you can do .66mm per day if you want by turning the knuts yourself, but lengthening is more tedious since you have to get a small wrench from a hardware store to do the turns.

I have chronic exertional compartment syndrome so I can barely run without the pressure in my shins building up so much that it hurts. Once I get a fasciotomy and recover from that then I think the only real long term differences from pre-CLL are that my legs fall asleep more easily than before and my ankle dorsiflexion isn't as good.

Col92

• Visitor
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:13 PM »

As someone has already noted, it is unbelievable that if a nail malfunctions the patient has to pay anything , especially if it involves a second surgery. How do they get away with this? The patient has extra expense, trauma worry etc and the nail manufacturer only gives you what you should have had originally- a working nail. Would this happen in any other field?

Greatana

• Visitor
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

How was it getting around during consolidation when you came back home? Because I'm currently in community college and plan on doing my last semester online before I transfer out to either UCSB or hopefully UCLA (I live in LA). Which means I will be consolidating the summer before I start university and during my first fall quarter. What's mobility like in the months post CLL.?

Do you think you'll ever gain back you ankle flexibility and cure your Cecs? What has Dr. a Parihar said about it?  Does the hospital have Wifi? Missing a week and not being able to study might set me back if take classes online.

I was reading on one of your posts in which you said Dr. Parihar said , the pain is less if you are occupying your mind with something. Did you have energy to do stuff while lengthening or where you always tired?

Sorry, I have a lot of questions, lol. But Dr. Parihar hasn't responded to my email. Only I've been talking to his assistant Dr. Ahuja.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up