Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need advice re tibia LL in the USA  (Read 1401 times)

PAGrb490

need advice re tibia LL in the USA
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:51:32 AM »

EDIT : my apologies for starting this thread in a wrong section. How do I move it to Limb Lengthening Discussions?

Dear All,

I am one of a few females who would like to undergo this procedure. I live in LA and personally ran into the doctor M. in one of the bars in LA. I had no idea who he was at the time. During our conversation over a drink he briefly mentioned what he does for living. He mentioned $1MM as a cost for a procedure. Now I know he was joking. Long story short, I am 5'2 , shorter than my both parents. I am a beautiful female 36 years old. The sad part is that i have long femurs and very short torso for my height. My tibia are kinda short, this the reason why I would prefer to lengthen my tibias (ideally i would elongate my torso, but it seems impossible at the time, based on my limited research).

I have 0.5M in investments, a loving boyfriend who adores my height, and a bruised self-esteem. My investments account is a result of my very very hard work  at a cost of not starting family earlier (no kids yet) among many other sacrifices. But things got bright and by the end of 2018 I expect to be a self made millionaire and hopefully retired (the only female in my circle) and in light of all this i seriously consider this procedure done.  I also am dreading will shrink with age as most people do. I am tired of wearing high heels all the time. I am getting older and need to the procedure sooner than later.

A few questions for dear folks on this forum:

1) Can I do tibias with Dr Paley? I only target 5cm - this is what will bring me to an average female height in the US. that's all I need, I dont need to be tall.
2) Can i wear heels after the surgery?
3) Dr M is based out of LA and could logistically work out better for me. But I don't see many reviews of his results.
4) What excuse can I use for my boyfriend and parents? I have 1 leg shorter than another by 1 cm or so, I love jogging and developed bad knee and foot pain over the years. Can i tell them i underwent some sort of orthopedic procedure that gave me the height boost? How about my friends - will they notice anything?
5) i talked to my 2 female friends who are about my height and think I am crazy as they are at peace with their height. the same girls who did breast implants and nose surgeries:)

Cheers,
LA gal

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:20:31 AM by PAGrb490 »

myloginacc

Re: need advice re tibia LL in the USA
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »

1) Paley only does internal tibias. Can't say I'd recommend internal tibias based on all the research I've read. It's probably better to ask someone who did have tibias done with internal methods.
2) I'd estimate one year after you're done lengthening if everything went well and your bones consolidated.
3) We have, I believe, 4 diaries on Mahboubian currently on the forums.
4) Yes. For one segment that is enough. I don't understand the people here who want to move somewhere else and hide from their old friends and family after lengthening only one segment (one pair of same type of bones). You could easily claim you had genu valgum, that it was only visible from x-rays, and that you got the height increase from correcting that. 99% of people wouldn't even second-guess what they just heard. 5cm is not that much. The problem lies in explaining why you disappeared for so long.
With that said, I'd not hide something major like this from your boyfriend and your parents.

5) I don't judge or try not to, but yeah, people who do CLL are considered on the crazier side, specially if not men who are very short. This surgery will require a year of your life, that you endure pain and endless nights of bad sleep, and it will leave your legs full of scars. It's not a cosmetic procedure like breast augmentation and a nose job, even though some greedy orthopedic surgeons have been trying to sell it as such.

And as far as most men are concerned, I believe what you described are basically seem as perfect proportions for women. Short torso and long femurs. However, I completely understand this is about how you see yourself.

In your case, I would not do this surgery. Even if everything goes well, you won't be able to hide the scars. Women have thinner bones than men on average and that's also a risk for internals, depending on the diameter of the nail used.

Basically, you risk too much for a minor aspect of your outside appearance that you'd like to see improved.

Read Unicorn's diary. She was 5'2, tried to get to 5'5, but everything went wrong for her. It's always better to know and be prepared for the worst that could happen.

For tibias and external fixators (as opposed to internal nails for lengthening), Bigfaker's diary is one of the worst results I can think of.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

PAGrb490

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »

Thanks so much for your reply. It's late at night here on the West Coast, so tomorrow I will process it better.

"With that said, I'd not hide something major like this from your boyfriend and your parents." - it is easy to hide from my family (parents, sisters), they are  all abroad (i am from Russia originally, moved to the US at 25 alone). My boyfriend will probably break up with me over this since he wants to start a family ASAP. i doubt I can have babies soon after the surgery and he also would question my mental state  (probably rightfully so...).

With all this said, I have succeeded at most things in my life against all odds (my age being one of them). Just one more time, pretty pretty please.

I dont know what to say. I feel guilty for being so shallow. Looking back, at my young years I should have had different workout routine (had none as a teenager), nutrition habits , supplements, lifestyle etc. and probably would be able to gain a few inches more during my growth years. All these things I know now with the internet, $ and best doctors at my disposal. But I grew up in Russia, Siberia in the 90th and me and my parents did not know better. Oh well.

I dont care much for possible scars - I scar amazingly well. I used to wear Ilizarov at 18 after I broke my right leg to pieces one time and have no scars at all. Little did I know I could have wear Ilizarove just for 5 months more would grow taller and be done, hahaha, jk, was not an option in my town at all.

A sleepless night.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:13:48 AM by PAGrb490 »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »

There's always a chance of getting chronic exertional compartment syndrome after lengthening, which basically makes walking up inclines or running cause a lot of pressure to build up in the calves and/or shins until it's impossible to continue exercise due to pressure pains. The way around it is fasciotomy, but those cause scars and make your calves bulge in the areas where the fasciotomy has been done. If that were to happen in your case, you may become self-conscious over the appearance of your legs even after getting rid of your problems with your height.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

PAGrb490

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:06:42 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

My possible diminished fitness level after the surgery is not a big concern for me. I dont care if I am unable to run for the rest of my life. To stay in shape I can do yoga, cycling, swimming, etc. I dont care about possible scars.

I care about arthritis and osteoporosis and other possible serious health complications.

With upmost respect,

LA girl
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:37:29 AM by PAGrb490 »

PAGrb490

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »

"Women have thinner bones than men on average and that's also a risk for internals, depending on the diameter of the nail used" - does any reputable doctor in the US do externals?

myloginacc

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »

"Women have thinner bones than men on average and that's also a risk for internals, depending on the diameter of the nail used" - does any reputable doctor in the US do externals?

Rozbruch does. But internals are also not such a problem for women under the hands of a good doctor. They have differently sized nails and will take that into consideration.

I mentioned that because we had one surgeon use a 13mm diameter, male nail for the femurs of one our XX-chromosomal members of the forum.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 09:55:32 AM by myloginacc »
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 09:24:32 AM »

Thanks for your reply!

My possible diminished fitness level after the surgery is not a big concern for me. I dont care if I am unable to run for the rest of my life. To stay in share I can do yoga, cycling, swimming, etc. I dont care about possible scars.

I care about arthritis and osteoporosis and other possible serious health complications.

With upmost respect,

LA girl

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26398436

PAGrb490

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 09:39:33 AM »

myloginacc,

thank you!

DISCUSSION:
Increasing tibia length relative to femur length was found to be a significant predictor of ipsilateral hip and knee arthritis. Therefore, we recommend that when performing limb lengthening, surgical planning should lean toward recreating the normal ratio of 0.80. - trust me, my femurs are so much longer than tibia, that after LL i would probably reach that 0.8 ratio.

hanshi

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 01:46:03 PM »

EDIT : my apologies for starting this thread in a wrong section. How do I move it to Limb Lengthening Discussions?

Dear All,

I am one of a few females who would like to undergo this procedure. I live in LA and personally ran into the doctor M. in one of the bars in LA. I had no idea who he was at the time. During our conversation over a drink he briefly mentioned what he does for living. He mentioned $1MM as a cost for a procedure. Now I know he was joking. Long story short, I am 5'2 , shorter than my both parents. I am a beautiful female 36 years old. The sad part is that i have long femurs and very short torso for my height. My tibia are kinda short, this the reason why I would prefer to lengthen my tibias (ideally i would elongate my torso, but it seems impossible at the time, based on my limited research).

I have 0.5M in investments, a loving boyfriend who adores my height, and a bruised self-esteem. My investments account is a result of my very very hard work  at a cost of not starting family earlier (no kids yet) among many other sacrifices. But things got bright and by the end of 2018 I expect to be a self made millionaire and hopefully retired (the only female in my circle) and in light of all this i seriously consider this procedure done.  I also am dreading will shrink with age as most people do. I am tired of wearing high heels all the time. I am getting older and need to the procedure sooner than later.

A few questions for dear folks on this forum:

1) Can I do tibias with Dr Paley? I only target 5cm - this is what will bring me to an average female height in the US. that's all I need, I dont need to be tall.
2) Can i wear heels after the surgery?
3) Dr M is based out of LA and could logistically work out better for me. But I don't see many reviews of his results.
4) What excuse can I use for my boyfriend and parents? I have 1 leg shorter than another by 1 cm or so, I love jogging and developed bad knee and foot pain over the years. Can i tell them i underwent some sort of orthopedic procedure that gave me the height boost? How about my friends - will they notice anything?
5) i talked to my 2 female friends who are about my height and think I am crazy as they are at peace with their height. the same girls who did breast implants and nose surgeries:)

Cheers,
LA gal
Hi, to be honest you should reconsider why you want to do this. Tibia lengthening is much more dangerous than femur lengthening with higher complication rate and also more serious complications. As a woman with 5 foot 2 you are still within the normal height range and wearing high heels looks good in general.
The benefits of gaining 2 inches don't outweigh the costs and risks. This surgery has ruined the lifes of many people. Better go on a long nice vacation with the time and money.
There are currently several lawsuits from former patients against Dr. Betz going on. If you or somebody you know is a former patient of Dr. Betz who would like to initiate legal action against him please send me a personal message.
I can help with lots of information on how to go about this.

PAGrb490

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »

Hanshi,

Many thanks.

I dont quite get why though people on here are so supportive of males going after LL (or multiple) at 5'7 and taller heights. and not so supportive of females going after the same. Do you have any idea how many condescending comments (intentional or not) I have heard from both genders throughout my life? way too many for someone of a "normal" height as you mentioned. You know, men can make up (at least here in LA) their lack of anything with surplus of $$$. As a female, I am purely judged by my looks. FYI i have never written off any guys based on just his height (I prefer average to below average height in guys). But I was told straight to my face on some blind dates, even though I never lie about anything on my dating profile, that I am , well, pretty, but short, but "girl, I have a guy for you" sorta things. 

And wearing heels is appeasing aesthetically, but it gets harder with age.

And is not money supposed do just that - make your dreams come true?

Sad.

Android

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:08:52 PM »

Like myloginacc said, I think internals are fine even in the tibias in the right hands. Dr. Paley certainly has the expertise, a great choice in my opinion.

If you want to do externals, I believe Dr. Mahboubian (and the mentioned Dr. Rozbruch) still offers it for cosmetic patients.

Dr. Mahboubian would be quite convenient for you indeed. I met two of his patients (internal femurs, males) and they were both recovering very well.

You can't hide this from your loved ones for long, so come up with a convincing story that they can sympathize with. You already told us that you have a slight discrepancy, so say that it's really affecting you and therefore consulted with a orthopedic doctor; this will ground the conversation as a medical need. Then mention that they suggested limb lengthening, that you can take this opportunity to grow a little if you want, and that the idea really appeals to you. If they ask why they're lengthening both legs, just say that you also have a slight varus deformity. If they have a ton of questions, tell them to check out this site dedicated to answering curious patients and their families.

Please share with us where to invest our money, thanks!  ;D
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

PAGrb490

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »

:o

PAGrb490

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 06:00:05 AM »

I actually was investing all my money for 2 years into an early stage biotech company in CA. I went through hell with my investment, it was a roll-coaster worth writing a book (volatility and such) but finally this year things did get turn around and in my favor.

it is a craziest thing one can do and I don't recommend doing this to anyone but I am on this forum hence i am crazy and a risk-taker like you have not seen before ...

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »

I actually was investing all my money for 2 years into an early stage biotech company in CA. I went through hell with my investment, it was a roll-coaster worth writing a book (volatility and such) but finally this year things did get turn around and in my favor.

it is a craziest thing one can do and I don't recommend doing this to anyone but I am on this forum hence i am crazy and a risk-taker like you have not seen before ...

Great man. I am in a similar situation but still waiting things to get turn around in my favor. Then only I can proceed with the surgery.

How much is your stocks' return so far?

PAGrb490

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 03:24:27 PM »

I am a woman lol

200% from my average price
Pages: [1]   Go Up