Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The AlterG machine  (Read 1011 times)

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
The AlterG machine
« on: June 02, 2018, 04:00:33 AM »

The Paley Institute has a nifty "anti-gravity" treadmill (AlterG) that lets you walk even if you can't weight bear. This is useful even for STRYDE patients, who need crutches in the first few weeks, so I thought I'd write about it.

Basically the machine is a treadmill with an air balloon on top. It lifts you by the groin (like a harness) using a sort of skirt which you wear and ends up being the cap the balloon. That takes off X pounds from your weight, so you can walk safely on the treadmill while respecting the weight limits of the nails.

Today I was still recovering from a very stiff left knee that I had been working on for the whole week. I couldn't fully extend the knee, and PT helped, but not completely. After 10 minutes of walking in the machine (which was painful on the left leg), I could fully extend the knee! This was way better than the NuStep machines, or the PTs.

Ask your PT to get you on the anti-gravity treadmill. Walking is the best PT.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up