Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arm lengthening  (Read 2817 times)

Koki

• Visitor
Arm lengthening
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:52 PM »

Hi, guys.
Im a Japanese college student and want to lengthen my legs about 8-10cm.
If the case, I worry about the short arm.
What the doctor or hospital do arm lengthening?
I knew it is risky, but there is no cosmetic arm lengthnening article.
So I posted this here.
Thank you.
Start height:160cm
Goal height:168~170cm
Femurs:4~5cm
Tibias:4~5cm

Android

Re: Arm lengthening
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »

We've only seen a few arm lengthening diaries here, there's Overdozer and Iamready.

Overdozer did externals with Dr. Kulesh. Iamready was internal Precice with Dr. Paley.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

myloginacc

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:32 PM »

I think it'd be pretty cool if we could have a subsection for arm lengthening diaries. Many people who don't have a problem with their height, but have some kind of deformity or problem with one of their arms seem to be finding their way here. Distraction osteogenesis in the humerus with external fixators is pretty similar to the process used in the legs, so maybe they could benefit from it.

Of course, this forum is no replacement for anything medical. Their cases should be followed and treated with a local surgeon/their healthcare system. But it is indeed a repository of knowledge involving distraction osteogenesis and fixators.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 08:29:07 PM by myloginacc »
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Penguinn

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 08:13:46 PM »

What's your wingspan? The rule of thumb is your height shouldn't exceed your wingspan by more than 8cms.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather reduce the amount lengthened than do arm lengthening because what my legs went through, I absolutely will never do to my arms (even if it's not that bad). That's just a big nope.

@Mylogginacc: We don't have enough AL patients to warrant a subsection. Also, I'd rather not encourage unnecessary AL.
edit: I can't find the deformity patients but if you can send me the links and there's enough, I'll try to get a subsection created.

myloginacc

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »

What's your wingspan? The rule of thumb is your height shouldn't exceed your wingspan by more than 8cms.

Personally, I'd MUCH rather reduce the amount lengthened than do arm lengthening because what my legs went through, I absolutely will never do to my arms (even if it's not that bad). That's just a big nope.

@Mylogginacc: We don't have enough AL patients to warrant a subsection. Also, I'd rather not encourage unnecessary AL.
edit: I can't find the deformity patients but if you can send me the links and there's enough, I'll try to get a subsection created.

You're right. Maybe creating a subsection like that would make more people interested in doing it cosmetically - which is something we don't want to encourage.

But I've seen users register here, like ShortArm, who were just looking for information on the process.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Android

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:51:19 PM »

A stickied topic that we can reference should suffice since it's far less common. Would be helpful for those with a discrepancy, but realistically they'll get this info from a doctor if it's not cosmetic.

And good news is that people don't notice short (or long) arms that much, far less than legs.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
My short arms do get noticed
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29:12 PM »

And good news is that people don't notice short (or long) arms that much, far less than legs.

My short humeruses do get noticed, unfortunately. I'm *contemplating* arm lengthening, but after what I've been through with the legs... NO WAY. And there's no breakthrough like STRYDE.

My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Johnson1111

Re: My short arms do get noticed
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:40:02 PM »

My short humeruses do get noticed, unfortunately. I'm *contemplating* arm lengthening, but after what I've been through with the legs... NO WAY. And there's no breakthrough like STRYDE.

Dude it's really not that bad lol. I'm laughing because it's a regular picture and you're overthinking for sure.

Body Builder

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:36 PM »

You look completely normal. You did LL and you seem to still have body dysphotia which is stupid.
Continue your life and stop overthinking for nothing because some people like you is the reason why many people think that LLers are crazy while most of us are not.

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 02:47:29 AM »

Dude it's really not that bad lol. I'm laughing because it's a regular picture and you're overthinking for sure.

I assure you I'm not. I never really thought I had short arms until a couple girlfriends pointed that out.

I mean, I did notice in my 20s that whenever I bought shirts, I had to have a tailor shorten them, but I was like "Meh, who cares, shirts are made in a factory based on some template". But then I met these women who pointed out that my arms do look short. Maybe that picture isn't the best to illustrate it, and I'm not going to debate the topic anyway. Suffice to say that some people do notice, I don't care enough to have another surgery, and my wingspan is only 5'2", so even at my original height, it was 3" shorter.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

extremis

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 03:12:02 AM »

You look completely normal. You did LL and you seem to still have body dysphotia which is stupid.
Continue your life and stop overthinking for nothing because some people like you is the reason why many people think that LLers are crazy while most of us are not.

Are you guys serious? Are we looking at the same picture here?

His arms are clearly very short; it doesn't help that they're fairly girthy/thick so they look even shorter. You don't even need to see his whole body to notice it - it looks like the tip of his fingers wouldn't barely pass his pelvis if he let his arms hang ffs. If he's 5'5" (like his former username suggests), based on the picture I wouldn't put his wingspan at a single centimeter over 163 or around 5'3", apparently his wingspan is actually 5'2" so yeah.

It isn't "circus sideshow"-level or anything if he's 5'5" but if he were 5'9"+ it would be reaching "T-Rex arms" level. He doesn't have body "dysphotia" like Bodybuilder says. He DOES have very short arms even at his starting height.

lemonade311

• fk genetics.
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »

too hard to tell. need a better picture although they do look on the shorter side
Current: 171 cm
Goal: 178-179cm to cm

Internal femurs only using Precise Stryde at Dr. Paley institute in 2019.

OverrideYourGenetics

OYG's short arms
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »

I had posted a fuller body pic in this thread.

Purushrottam

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »

Its not very noticeable at all.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

FormerKidd

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »

Especially given our mutual lines of work, I feel like the risk/reward ratio is much worse for arm lengthening.

lemonade311

• fk genetics.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »

I couldn't tell from that last pic that they are short.
Current: 171 cm
Goal: 178-179cm to cm

Internal femurs only using Precise Stryde at Dr. Paley institute in 2019.

myloginacc

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 03:39:15 PM »

I thought your humeri looked really normal in this pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BidScxcB0Lw/

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 01:46:30 AM »

I thought your humeri looked really normal in this pic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BidScxcB0Lw/

Neat that you linked to that Instagram pic, but it's from a tall angle, there's the refraction of the water that makes my lower torso looks shorter, and from that angle I look bigger and taller than PT Jeff, which is totally not the case :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up