Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aesthetic appearance of legs after internal LL: scars, lipoatrophy and herniae  (Read 598 times)

patientprivacy

What's the aesthetic appearance of your legs after internal LL? Many people report they have bad scars (keloids), while others have good scar formation. It depends on the patient. Apart from scars, has any of you got lipoatrophy (localized loss of fat tissue around incisions)? Has any of you developped muscular herniae? Why could some people develop this while others don't?

myloginacc

You don't need to worry about keloids unless you have Sub-Saharan African ancestry. The genetic predisposition for it was only really significantly selected there, for whatever reason.

True incidence and prevalence of keloid in United States is not known. Indeed, there has never been a population study to assess the epidemiology of this disorder. In his 2001 publication, Marneros stated that “reported incidence of keloids in the general population ranges from a high of 16% among the adults in Zaire to a low of 0.09% in England,” quoting from Bloom’s 1956 publication on heredity of keloids. We do however know, from clinical observations that the disorder is more common among sub-saharan Africans, African Americans and Asians with unreliable and very wide estimated prevalence rates ranging from 4.5-16%.

In most lighter skinned peoples, the most collagenous type of scarring that happens is Hypertrophic scarring. They often get wrongly termed as keloids or keloidal scars. So, as a rule, don't worry about keloids if you are light skinned. The prevalence rises with degree of SSA ancestry, and apparently skin color range in non-Africans (for example, in Asians: the darker, the more likely).
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

patientprivacy

Thanks. You're right. I used the term keloid, but I was referring to both hypertrophic scars and keloids. I'm not really worried about scars. I think lipoatrophy around incisions and muscular herniae are more serious. What do you think about them? What's the cause? Can they be avoided? How can they be repaired?

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Muscle atrophy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

What's the aesthetic appearance of your legs after internal LL?

See my post. No loss of tissue around the scars. They're less and less visible as hair grows. The females I've met had flat scars at several month post-op.

There are also creams that may drastically reduce scars. One recommended to me by a fellow patient's caretaker was ScarAway, and there's another recommended by a PT at the Paley Institute that worked really well (complete reduction in several days), but she couldn't remember the name ("something European like MS...").

The most visible change after internal LL for me was muscle atrophy. This is far less of a problem with STRYDE, because you can resume walking with crutches within 1-2 weeks post op.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

patientprivacy

See my post. No loss of tissue around the scars. They're less and less visible as hair grows. The females I've met had flat scars at several month post-op.

There are also creams that may drastically reduce scars. One recommended to me by a fellow patient's caretaker was ScarAway, and there's another recommended by a PT at the Paley Institute that worked really well (complete reduction in several days), but she couldn't remember the name ("something European like MS...").

The most visible change after internal LL for me was muscle atrophy. This is far less of a problem with STRYDE, because you can resume walking with crutches within 1-2 weeks post op.

I'm glad you and your fellow LLers didn't have loss of tissue. Thanks also for your suggestions. You don't have to worry about muscle atrophy. Most of it come back.

My question is: why do some specific people develop lipoatrophy and muscular herniae? Any clue?
Pages: [1]   Go Up