Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia Lengthening with Dr. Solomin and Dr. Kulesh in Saint Petersburg  (Read 9653 times)

BK524

• Visitor
Re: Tibia Lengthening with Dr. Solomin and Dr. Kulesh in Saint Petersburg
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 07:33:42 PM »

He's upped the prices though.

MO_INCHES

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2018, 02:21:15 AM »

how much did he up the prices?

BK524

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »

Did you get my pm?

Bob

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »

shortygirl, when you pay for the surgery and hospital stay do you transfer the money to Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin bankaccount
or to the hospitals bank account?
Thanks and good luck.

wojiao

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »

Hi,

Is there procedure done and what was the total cost of it?  How much much length you gained?

Thanks

tallmf

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 10:27:15 AM »

Hi, I am a 28-year-old male, just arrived in Saint Petersburg. Yesterday I had a consultation with dr. solomon and dr. kulesh. prior to my arrival, I've even visited the Kurgan Ilizarov center and decided not to undergo surgery with them, the only reason was I did not want to wear the frames for 8-10 months. even though they say you can go home after 3 months, it is impossible to go home with frames on, I hope you'll know what I mean. but it was a perfectly safe, cost-efficient and nice place ( except the not so good food) for someone who wouldn't mind spending 8-11 months with the frame. P.S: I had the chances to meet international patients as well.

anyway, Dr.solomon and Dr.kulesh seem good and they know their stuff, they certainly not looking for sales. they even advised me to go ahead with Ilizarov center and insisted Ilizarov traditional frame method is better as it comes with fewer/no complications. also said there is no surgery date until November 4th.

but I was pretty determined that I can't wear frames for a long time. I discussed the technical side of the surgery with Dr. Solomon. So finally we settled with LATN. however, because I need visa support  (my current Russian visa expires on 8th of December which is not enough to cover the entire length of the treatment )  Dr.kulesh did the calculations and came up with the conclusion that the cheapest option available is, to do the surgery and stay the entire period in a private clinic as they offer cheaper rates if we stay longer than 30 days rather than do the surgery in municipal then switching to private clinic or leasing an apartment with minimum term which is three months etc.

So it was around usd $19 000 without rebandages and physiotherapy for LATN including the three-month stay in a private clinic with food. with bandages and physiotherapy $usd 26 000 which thrown my budget a little out of whack.

So, guys, I'm looking forward to your pieces of advice and suggestions from who has done or is doing the treatment/surgery with Dr. Solomon and dr. kulesh regarding the cost-cutting? because looks like you only spent about $15 000, how come? lol

csherpard

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 11:56:33 PM »

The two main expenses for leg lengthening in russia are : (1) the surgeries (2) accommodation.
You could save money on things like food, less physio or doing re bandaging yourself but i would not advise you to save money in these areas.

Performing the surgeries in the municipal clinic is the main way to save money. This is because the operations cost significantly less; for example, the nailing surgery cost around 320,000 in the private clinic but only 160,000 in the municipal clinic when i was there. Moreover, the daily cost of staying at the municipal hospital instead of the private is also less. It's worth saying however that the private clinic is substantially nicer than the municipal one (I stayed in both) most notably the food at the medem was excellent, but you do have to pay for that difference. It depends on your budget.

I did LATN on tibias (6cm), had 3 surgeries at the municipal clinic (including achilles lengthening) and stayed in an airbnb for most of the time which is a lot cheaper than staying at the hospitals. All in all i spent around 13,000 dollars.

tallmf

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 11:39:33 AM »

Thank you. That is very informative.

Didn’t you needed visa support? I have been told that I have to stay in Medem Clinic for visa support after my visa expiry.

By the way how’s your leg now? how long before you had the surgury?

I’m not sure if I want to go for LATN or LON any thoughts? Because with LATN we are going to have to insert the nail through the soft tissues that are already formed, isn’t that bad for your health? As long as there is no health consequences in the future i’m okay with it. Looking forward to your opinions.

shortygirl

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 07:51:48 PM »

So, guys, I'm looking forward to your pieces of advice and suggestions from who has done or is doing the treatment/surgery with Dr. Solomon and dr. kulesh regarding the cost-cutting? because looks like you only spent about $15 000, how come? lol

I think I spent a lot less on accommodations because it was a special circumstance - as I mentioned in an earlier post I had originally rented an apartment which I was going to stay in (as other patients had in the past) but because of new stricter visa regulations Medem decided at the last minute that I would have to stay with them for the remainder of my treatment at a heavily discounted rate (it's very complicated to explain). Also I was only at Medem for a total of one month and in Russia all together for a total of 8 weeks so I imagine the cost of everything goes up a lot for a total of 3 months. Since my case was a special circumstance I don't imagine that future patients will get the same rate so that is probably why what Dr. Kulesh calculated for you is quite a bit more than what I spent unfortunately.

qirenzhe123

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 03:09:21 AM »

I am there for three months. Use the traditional llizarove shelf. No intramedullary needles. Is $15,000 enough?

tallmf

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 03:40:29 AM »

I think it would cost you little bit more if you stayed in private clinic , if you rent an apartment you can manage it, but if it is Ilizarov method, why don’t you choose Ilizarov scientific center in Kurgan, it will cost you less and the best place traditional method

csherpard

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 06:22:00 AM »

Didn’t you needed visa support? I have been told that I have to stay in Medem Clinic for visa support after my visa expiry.

I personally came on a 3 month business visa (I am from the UK) but despite a fast distraction rate of 1 mm/a day and no real complications I was still pushed for time and there was only a 5 day gap between when i had nailing surgery and when i flew home. I did not need visa support in the end but i would recommend that you get at least a 6 month visa to allow for complications if possible. Other american patients such as Android paid 500$ for a 3 yeear multiple entry visa which is totally worth it in my opinion for long term ease of mind.

Visa support from the medem requires you to stay in the private hospital and perform the surgeries there (if things haven't changed from when i was there). If the financial side is an issue and you can go home to obtain a longer visa in Russia then i would do so because you will save considerable money in going the municipal hospital route.

By the way how’s your leg now? how long before you had the surgury?

I had the nailing surgery done towards the end of september. My legs look and feel much better since stopping the lengthening and removing the frames and whilst there are a lot of scars from the various pins and surgeries, they seem to be fading. The main issue I am working on is pretty bad knee bending as a result of poor flexibility prior to surgery and a fast distraction rate.   

I’m not sure if I want to go for LATN or LON any thoughts? Because with LATN we are going to have to insert the nail through the soft tissues that are already formed, isn’t that bad for your health? As long as there is no health consequences in the future i’m okay with it. Looking forward to your opinions.

I would discuss that first question with a limb lengthening doctor. I personally found the research to be more in favour of LATN but you can make your own decision on that.
I did read in various medical journals that there was a risk of long term knee pain after the insertion of an intramedullary nail perhaps related to the entry site and the patellar tendon. After talking with DrKulesh however, he made it clear to me that they had never encountered such problems in their practice. He speculated that for there to be long term knee pain that it was likely that the surgery was not being performed properly and that it was perhaps being rushed.
It's worth noting that intramedullary nail insertion is not a niche surgery and is used frequently for the common tibia fracture to this day. Again, I would raise this point with your doctor and see what they have to say on the matter but in my opinion the risk of long term knee pain is very low in the hands of a highly competent surgeon. 

tallmf

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »

Thank you. Appreciated

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Shortygirl. Good luck on your recovery, wish you all the best.

csherpard

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2018, 01:03:24 AM »

Hi shortygirl, would it be possible to get an update on how recovery is going ? :)

deaddog

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »

Thank you very much for your diary shortygirl! I am also looking forward to your next update...

Hope you are doing well and thank you very much again!

angryfem

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2018, 12:35:41 AM »

Rapey Doctor - All of the doctors that I met during my time in Russia were great and very professional except for Dr. Abdulah. While we were in the airport he kept touching me, it made me uncomfortable. When I missed the flight he insisted that we go stay at a hotel near the airport (as in we both stay in the same room) until my new flight. I got such a bad feeling about him that I refused and said I would wait at the airport. There was no way I wanted to be alone in a hotel room with him. Later, when we were alone in an elevator at the airport, he tried to kiss me on the mouth "to say goodbye to me" (this isn't a custom in any country I've heard of especially Russia). I had given him my phone number because we had to separate at the the airport while he sorted out my emergency visa and later he sent me so many inappropriate text messages, kissing faces, basically saying creepy inappropriate things. Anyways if you are a girl and have surgery with Dr. Solomin I would avoid Dr. Abdulah.

I am a female interested in LL. I've visited some doctors but I have yet to choose one. LL is a world of males. Sometimes LL is ok for men but nor for women. As women we can encounter more complications and suffer sxxual abuse from male doctors, physical therapists and other staff. When I read your diary I felt so embarrassed. I want to congratulate you for your bravery. It motivated me to register. Women, we should inform each other of rapey doctors. I will make it my duty to keep track of all the cases of sxxual abuse in this forum. This is important information to bear in mind for females before choosing a surgeon.

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2018, 06:13:41 AM »

did android get screwed up by the doctor and developed some serious complications? what is going on

tlannister

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:45 PM »

Rapey Doctor - All of the doctors that I met during my time in Russia were great and very professional except for Dr. Abdulah. While we were in the airport he kept touching me, it made me uncomfortable. When I missed the flight he insisted that we go stay at a hotel near the airport (as in we both stay in the same room) until my new flight. I got such a bad feeling about him that I refused and said I would wait at the airport. There was no way I wanted to be alone in a hotel room with him. Later, when we were alone in an elevator at the airport, he tried to kiss me on the mouth "to say goodbye to me" (this isn't a custom in any country I've heard of especially Russia). I had given him my phone number because we had to separate at the the airport while he sorted out my emergency visa and later he sent me so many inappropriate text messages, kissing faces, basically saying creepy inappropriate things. Anyways if you are a girl and have surgery with Dr. Solomin I would avoid Dr. Abdulah.

you're wrong. Its normal to kiss women you meet on the mouth when you greet in Islam.

Ascending

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »

you're wrong. Its normal to kiss women you meet on the mouth when you greet in Islam.
Let's not take a serious subject and derail it with infantile comments.

Sanity

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 01:02:08 AM »

so the medem can help out in visa extension but how long does the extension actually last? What if I needed 2-3 more months due to developing some complication that needs more time? does anybody know?
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

shortygirl

• Visitor
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

Hi!

I haven't posted an update in a while so I thought I would -

recovery is going great, I would say that I am 100% recovered, I can walk normally, run, jump, do all of the things I could do before. My flexibility could improve still but it gets better everyday with continued stretching. Most of the time I forget that I even had the surgery except that I am taller now lol. Dr. Kulesh still emails me occasionally to check on my recovery which is nice.

My scars have faded well (better than I expected) but even so I am currently doing laser scar removal so minimize them even more I will post some before and after pictures of that (I am doing 4 treatments over the course of 4 months so won't see the full results for a few more months, I have only done one treatment so far) The cost for 4 treatments was about $1000.

Zamii

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2019, 01:18:19 PM »

So you are fully back to normal now? Thats cool (you did 5cm?)

bpetrov

• Visitor
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2019, 06:25:41 PM »

How did you communicate during your stay in Russia, with the doctors, nurses and other personnel? Do they speak English, or do you speak some Russian?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up