Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Android's Cross Lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh (2018)  (Read 42643 times)

Overdozer

Re: Android's Cross Lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh (2018)
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2018, 11:20:21 PM »

Hey Android

It's quite impressive how you are handling on your own in a place like this, in a foreign country without language knowledge. And somehow you also have the will to update the diary with quality info. I couldn't do that for the life of me when I was lengthening. I did definitely enjoy reading the diary.

How much did you lengthen already and how much do you plan to? I suggest doing a smaller amount such as 5/5 tibia/femur or perhaps 4/6. Lengthening the tibia over 5 cm hurts the ankle joint quite a bit. With 5/5 cm you will have less time lengthening, faster bone healing and recovery, better proportions and joint function.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Android

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »

Android have you done any weight baring exercises yet and if not has the doctors told when it’ll be possible to try and put weight on your legs

Ilizarov frames are weight bearing, so I've been doing some standing and walking exercises with a walker. It's pretty painful for me, so I don't walk much. This is Dr. Kulesh's opinion, but he doesn't necessarily recommend weight bearing during lengthening, so I don't feel so bad that I'm mostly immobile on my bed.

So how did it feel to have your femur sawed completely through? Can you describe the pain once the meds first started to wear off post surgery?

I don't feel pain at the osteotomy sites at all. I don't feel pain inside my leg where the bones are broken either. After the anesthesia wore off, I just felt general pain all over my legs, not a particular spot. So don't fear the osteotomy itself, it's no big deal.

I am really glad to see you progressing. 1,5 mm a day is not bad at all. As you mentioned, you will finish earlier than expected. But I hope it will not be uncomfortable. Just listen to your body and adjust the lengthening accordingly.

I wish you truly good luck. May God bless you.

Yeah, 1.5 mm is not bad at all. Jim and Pope did higher rates and that seemed painful though. Thanks Rocky, may God bless us all!

It's quite impressive how you are handling on your own in a place like this, in a foreign country without language knowledge. And somehow you also have the will to update the diary with quality info. I couldn't do that for the life of me when I was lengthening. I did definitely enjoy reading the diary.

How much did you lengthen already and how much do you plan to? I suggest doing a smaller amount such as 5/5 tibia/femur or perhaps 4/6. Lengthening the tibia over 5 cm hurts the ankle joint quite a bit. With 5/5 cm you will have less time lengthening, faster bone healing and recovery, better proportions and joint function.

Whoa, hey Overdozer! Your diary was my main inspiration for doing cross lengthening, Jim's helped me to pull the trigger. Glad that you're enjoying my diary.

So far the language barrier hasn't been too bad thanks to Google Translate. I've learned some Russian as well, so I can at least communicate with the nurses. They really like it when I speak Russian, their faces light up.

The main reason why I don't update my diary as often as I'd like is because I'm using an old, heavy Macbook Pro with a terrible battery life. Definitely bringing another laptop when I come back for my second session.

I've lengthened over 3 cm on both segments, hoping for 6 cm tibia and 7 cm femur. I might lower my tibia goal to 5 cm if I face any difficulty, so far I don't feel any pain at all and my dorsiflexion is OK.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Android

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:25 AM »

A general update and some topics of interest!

Latest X-rays: July 30, 2018

At this point, the total distracted was 2-2.5 cm for the femurs, 2.2-2.5 cm on the tibias.

Tibia:

Femur:

Pain

I started getting some really bad nerve pain on my femur frame leg shortly after returning to the hospital. I received injections (I think it was ketoprofen) for the pain twice a day, a few times twice at night an hour apart since it was so bad. It's a sharp, burning pain that you can't ignore; it can range from pain level 6 up to 9.

Once I reached pain level 9, I asked Dr. Kulesh to set up an appointment for me with a neurologist. A day or two later Dr. Kulesh and the neurologist came to my room to do some tests, and I got a prescription for some meds. Dr. Nikita came by later that day with my meds, which are pictured here:

Lyrica (150 mg) is the main actor here, and it does a good enough job. I need 2 to 3 of these a night to sleep well.

The other two are Ipidacrine and thiotic acid.

As for my tibia frame leg, it doesn't hurt much at all. Sometimes the shin hurts, but it hasn't made me want to call the nurse for it or anything. Hurts really bad when I walk, and will remain painful for about 30 min, but that's about it.

What do you do all day?

I really don't do much other than lengthen and take pills, which I do every couple hours. I use my phone a lot to watch YouTube, listen to podcasts, and play games. Honestly, this is pretty much what I did in my able-bodied days if I didn't get invited to hang out.

While I was living in the apartment with WiFi, I binge watched a few shows: Better Call Saul (Season 2), The Americans (Season 6), and Cobra Kai. Cobra Kai was a surprise for me, it was as awesome as all the reviews claimed it to be.

When I'm up to it, I work on an online Udacity course, the Android Basics Nanodegree. I got a free scholarship for it and was selected among my peers to advance in the program. Hell of a timing for this, but I'll do my best to complete it so I can get my certificate.

What happened to the cute nurse?

Ah, Alice. Great person. One night she came into my room to just chat until she was summoned by another patient. She came back and asked if she was bothering me, and I said no. We talked until the buzzer went off again, and did that one more time. She asked a lot of questions about me, so I'm guessing there's some interest.

Two days later it was her shift again. This time she didn't chat with me much since she had newer nurses to babysit and teach. I had to call her though for my knee pain, gave me a shot. An hour later I was still in very bad pain, so I got a second shot.

I complained that I was hungry, saying that the dinner that night was awful (curd, bread, and tea). I was just making small talk really, but after a few minutes she came back with two plates loaded with food!

Here's my dinner:

And here's what Alice brought:

She heated up the meat pies and even cut up some veggies. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness.

So yeah, next time I see her I'll ask for her WhatsApp. Wish me luck.

Total Lengthened so Far:
Tibia 31.5 mm (1 mm day)
Femur 34.75 mm (1.5 mm day)
Estimated Days Remaining Before Correction/Nailing: 27 days
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

lucindaris

« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »

Most detailed diary by far and thank You for keeping us updated. I wanted to get LL this month as I had planned to do 2 segments. I tried to consider a few options, cross lengthening was one of them. From what I can read from this and other diaries that Femurs and externals are unwelcoming. Probably i will save more money and do external Tibias and internal Femurs. Still not sure what is better to do first.

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »

At this point, the total distracted was 2-2.5 cm for the femurs, 2.2-2.5 cm on the tibias.

Tibia:

Femur:

Pain

I started getting some really bad nerve pain on my femur frame leg shortly after returning to the hospital. I received injections (I think it was ketoprofen) for the pain twice a day, a few times twice at night an hour apart since it was so bad. It's a sharp, burning pain that you can't ignore; it can range from pain level 6 up to 9.

Once I reached pain level 9, I asked Dr. Kulesh to set up an appointment for me with a neurologist. A day or two later Dr. Kulesh and the neurologist came to my room to do some tests, and I got a prescription for some meds. Dr. Nikita came by later that day with my meds, which are pictured here:

Lyrica (150 mg) is the main actor here, and it does a good enough job. I need 2 to 3 of these a night to sleep well.

As for my tibia frame leg, it doesn't hurt much at all. Sometimes the shin hurts, but it hasn't made me want to call the nurse for it or anything. Hurts really bad when I walk, and will remain painful for about 30 min, but that's about it.

What do you do all day?

I really don't do much other than lengthen and take pills, which I do every couple hours. I use my phone a lot to watch YouTube, listen to podcasts, and play games. Honestly, this is pretty much what I did in my able-bodied days if I didn't get invited to hang out.

While I was living in the apartment with WiFi, I binge watched a few shows: Better Call Saul (Season 2), The Americans (Season 6), and Cobra Kai. Cobra Kai was a surprise for me, it was as awesome as all the reviews claimed it to be.

When I'm up to it, I work on an online Udacity course, the Android Basics Nanodegree. I got a free scholarship for it and was selected among my peers to advance in the program. Hell of a timing for this, but I'll do my best to complete it so I can get my certificate.

Ah, Alice. Great person. One night she came into my room to just chat until she was summoned by another patient. She came back and asked if she was bothering me, and I said no. We talked until the buzzer went off again, and did that one more time. She asked a lot of questions about me, so I'm guessing there's some interest.

Two days later it was her shift again. This time she didn't chat with me much since she had newer nurses to babysit and teach. I had to call her though for my knee pain, gave me a shot. An hour later I was still in very bad pain, so I got a second shot.

I complained that I was hungry, saying that the dinner that night was awful (curd, bread, and tea). I was just making small talk really, but after a few minutes she came back with two plates loaded with food!

Here's my dinner:

She heated up the meat pies and even cut up some veggies. I was overwhelmed with gratefulness.

Total Lengthened so Far:
Tibia 31.5 mm (1 mm day)

Good one, keep us posted. BTW, you can get some action from Alice next time she comes to you at night to chat grab her hands and start from there. Once I got some action with my friends hot mom like that - I was sleeping in their house one night, she came to chat, I felt she needs some action, and escalated her and then..my first bang bang

doomsday

« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »

Your femur regenerate looks very good. Tibia isnt too bad as well. I just wonder how this osteotomy in tibia affects consolidation. Any info from Kulesh on previous patients?

tlannister

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2018, 08:24:18 AM »

Good one, keep us posted. BTW, you can get some action from Alice next time she comes to you at night to chat grab her hands and start from there. Once I got some action with my friends hot mom like that - I was sleeping in their house one night, she came to chat, I felt she needs some action, and escalated her and then..my first bang bang

wtf??  ::)

Bosnian2018

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2018, 07:40:30 PM »

LOL WTH man theres some weirdos on this forum.

Anyways Android you're doing awesome. Keep up the good work ! Im planning my trip shortly.

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »

? All I am saying is that if a woman is coming to you at night to chat - that is a golden chance to gradually escalate her and make her hot/horny and get action . In fact, many a times she may already be on heat and may be coming expecting you to escalate and take some lead/give some cues, in that case it will be easy/fast escalation, if she is not coming with the intention to get action then the escalation is still possible may take more time and if you don't see positive reaction to your escalation then you can let it go and just chat.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:59:07 PM by 419 »

Pyotr

• Visitor
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2018, 12:56:43 AM »

Wow, that's different! 

Do they teach these "escalation" techniques in your school or is this just something you figured out on your own?

I wonder if maybe you just might be weirding up Android's journal a bit?  Do you think?  Just maybe?

Purushrottam

« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2018, 01:08:32 AM »

Riveting tale, comrade.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Purushrottam

« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2018, 01:11:00 AM »

Tibia:

Femur:

Pain

What do you do all day?

Here's my dinner:

Total Lengthened so Far:
Tibia 31.5 mm (1 mm day)

Good progress!
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »

Wow, that's different! 

Do they teach these "escalation" techniques in your school or is this just something you figured out on your own?

I wonder if maybe you just might be weirding up Android's journal a bit?  Do you think?  Just maybe?

Learned on my own, basic instincts - you don't need to learn basic instinct. Maybe - IDK - am just sharing my input.

Kotiki

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »

Cool story, bro. Regarding the cute nurse: don't assume that the whole hospital isn't reading about your escapades /getting the highlights relayed by those who do. Save Alice the questionable pleasure of becoming the laughing stock of the entire hospital.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:19:25 PM by Kotiki »

Optimistic

• Visitor
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »

First post but I've been lurking a while.

Firstly thanks very much for taking the time to document your journey, it's incredibly helpful.

My only question is: how long is this entire procedure going to take? aren't you going to be out of action for like 2years?
Also why do they leave so long between the two lengthening stages?

normythebear

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2018, 04:32:39 AM »

This is the first time I've checked the forums in months. I'm glad you finally did it!

myloginacc

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2018, 09:56:19 PM »

I've finally thought about the perfect questions to ask you. However, it'll have to wait until you're done with the first phase of cross-lengthening. :)

I hope you've been doing good (as far as LL is concerned), man.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

shortykon

• Visitor
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

Hi Android.

I am new to LL as you can see, but first of all I want to thank you for sharing the diary!!! I also share the same height as you @ ~5'4 (well you are taller than me already!) and also want to do a LL that at least bumps my height up by 10cm+ So you are a big role model I am looking up to right now!!!  ;)

Seeing how this journey goes from your point of view really convince me to get a LL procedure from this two amazing Russian doctors at the end of this year or beginning of next.

Again, I am really new to the whole LL scene as you can tell... Would you also let me know what long would each stages of recovery take so I can plan out time leave for my job ? You mentioned you will stay for 3 months in Russia. Are you fully recovered after 3 months, or is there more recovery to be done ??? Stupid questions but you know, I am a total newcomer  ;D

Thank you and best wish to you!

Android

« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2018, 01:51:41 PM »

I reeeeaaally don't feel like writing a long post on the phone, and my laptop is a pain to get up and going (very heavy, loses charge fast). Here's a quick rundown on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmvgcgxnpnL/

Summary: I developed a complication! Stopped lengthening my femur and started corrections a few days ago; will install hexapod on tibia tomorrow. Surgery for nailing and frame removal for both segments is planned on August 31, this upcoming Friday!

I'll go back and fill in the blanks later in the familiar format.

P.S. - Jim and I were in the same suite for a good while, great guy! Glad that we were able to meet face to face.

Arch

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »

Yo Android!

How much are you planning to lengthen in total for each segment?

What caused the problem for you to stop turning? Is it because your body do not longer accept the stretching of the ligaments or?

Could this complication have been avoided?

Good day!
Arch

Android

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »

Hey y'all, just wanted to update to say that my nailing surgery yesterday was a success! Gained 5 cm on both tibia and femur for my first step, for a total gain of 10 cm when all is said and done. Will update in more detail in the future, bit too tired for now.

Sara123

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »

Thank you. This is very helpful. I’m just wondering how can it cost you just 30k in total when it seems to cost 1000 USD for every 2 weeks to stay in an airnib apartment. Or did I misread and it’s not 1000 USD for every 2 weeks. Is that 30k in total including accommodation for all 4 sections?? So just 30k for the full cross lateral with accommodation? How many months in total will that take?? What about complications, how much spare cash do you need to cover those?? I would like to go to Russia but am worried about how much I would need to cover complications. Will your mum stay the whole time. Is it possible to stay alone I the apartment??

I wasn’t tvto do cross lateral too but have no idea how much I will need in total for everything, including accommodation.

May I ask why you did you not choose Armenia?? What I like about Armenia is that you can pay each month and get all services covered, so no need to worry about finding a carer, finding food, somewhere to stay, etc. I know there were a few bad cases from there but to be fair that is nothing, it seems all doctors get bad cases. Also one of them the guy had already had the surgery elsewhere and had had complications already. I’ve seen their FB page and they appear to have many successful patients.

Thank you for info. And good luck.

Moon knight

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »

Hey y'all, just wanted to update to say that my nailing surgery yesterday was a success! Gained 5 cm on both tibia and femur for my first step, for a total gain of 10 cm when all is said and done. Will update in more detail in the future, bit too tired for now.

I remember you saying you ran into a few compilations did you get them fixed and also how has the pain been since you’ve gained 5 cm

Have you also been walking any since the 5 cm gain

Sorry about the questions just curious glad to hear your doing good
It’s not a surgery for the faint hearted if you do it your stronger then you really believe

myloginacc

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2018, 06:46:59 PM »

Awesome, man!

Take as much time as you need!
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

notatroll

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2018, 11:18:08 PM »

My admiration for you. Brave guy!

AR

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2018, 10:08:32 AM »

Be strong android.
I wish u the best my friend
- gained 4 cms External Tibias in Russia
- went from 171 to 175
- still recovering and having the frames
-English is not my first language

Bosnian2018

« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2018, 12:47:59 AM »

HELLL YEAH Android for the win!

myloginacc

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2018, 11:35:34 AM »

I've finally thought about the perfect questions to ask you. However, it'll have to wait until you're done with the first phase of cross-lengthening. :)

I hope you've been doing good (as far as LL is concerned), man.

Hey, Android!

I've thought about it for a bit, and I think it may be wiser if I post those questions now? This way you have more time to think about them, while you are still planning/writing/getting well for the next big update. I hope you've been doing as fine as you can be! Again, take as much time as you need.

I wanted to start with the obvious:

• You're obviously the member who has done the most research on distraction osteogenesis on this forum. Even more than that: you actually went through it, and are just finished with the first phase of cross-lengthening. Having all of this in mind, would you say that all your research gave you a good picture of what CLL really is like? Or, as some vets say, you're never truly prepared for, or truly knows, what CLL entails until you actually go through it?
  • Has your opinion about height thresholds and CLL changed?
  • Was the first phase harder, easier, or just about what you expected it to be, based on all of your research?
  • I know it's still early to ask and you have a second phase to go through still, but have you felt the extra 5cms you have are already worth it?

I have a few other more minor and major questions. I'll wait for a more appropriate time to post them.  :)

All the best, man.

myloginacc

« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2018, 06:41:23 PM »

Oh, I knew I was forgetting one question. (I ended up asking another question in its place...) This is the last one, I swear. I also don't mind if you only reply to these questions at a much later date! You're, understandably, not in an optimal situation for Q&As, and these are not simple questions.

The other question I wanted to ask was:

• Once, you replied with "Sound advice." to the comment of "Take a deep breath, and look forward to the LL." in a certain thread. Many here seem to struggle with self-hating or suicidal thoughts. How did you take your "deep breath"? What is your advice to stay calm, and look forward to a brighter future, rather than overthink a dire present? It seems you may have had dealt with such emotions in the past, but they don't show through your posting. It's like you reached a higher state of mind. I realize this is a very vague question, so feel free to answer this question however you want to - or to just skip it completely, in case it feels too personal.

Again, wishing you all the best!!

Zion

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:34 PM »

Thank you Android for all the effort you put to this diary that surely will help others as well as myself. I really hope all is going well with you because LL is not an easy process not to mention in a distant foreign country.

I am an old user from the last forum (2012 I think), I just recently came back with the idea to proceed with LL perhaps this year or the next one and I am very interested in doing it with Dr. Solomin and Dr. Kulesh.

Since you have been very detailed with your diary and you update it quite frequently and because you may have heard it from both doctors or seen patients in similar conditions, I decided to ask you all these questions (sorry) instead of the not so active user diaries from the same doctors, nor I want to spam the forum...

Here are my questions:

- Do you think its possible to remove the Ilizarov frames totally awake without anesthesia? (arms and legs). Do you think any of the 2 doctors may complain about it?

- Do you think its possible to remove the Ilizarov frames once one reaches consolidation stage? even if its not recommended at all, do you know if someone has done it before over there? I know its a bad idea because the bone could break but so is I believe do lengthening at home in your country and some people go that way and end up being ok, at least I assume that is not the ideal thing...

- Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only consequences are for the bone to break and/or losing height because of pressure.

- Now the most extreme one to add to this great combo...do you think it would be possible to do cross lengthening and at the same time do one humerus and after all is done (consolidation) proceed with the other half?

I know you are no doctor to answer all of this to a 100% because there are too many variables, I just want your opinion as well of knowledge that you may have heard from the doctors or seen from other current or past patients like yourself over there or MEDEM.

My dream would be to grow 14-15 cm in height and 7-10 cm in wingspan but I am open to adapt.

And as you may figured it out already, my biggest priority is time, grow, take the frames off and recover on my own with a lot of help back home. Although I guess I wouldn't mind having the frames on for consolidation on the first stage of cross lengthening just take them off on the second stage after distraction...

I would like to length at home because I could eat much better, be more comfortable and do much more, not to mention save money and avoid visa problems...

A little about me so maybe it helps you when answering them...

- EU citizenship.

- Male.

- This year I will turn 26.

- 1.66-67 tall (I guess 5'5-6) and a wingspan of 1.70 (5'7).

- I do not know my sitting height at all, maybe 90 cm (35 inches I think). More or less I guess...but not too many people tower me when I sit, even when compared to much taller men (6+).

- I am pretty sure my body type is of a Mesomorph but I really don't do much exercise or go to the gym, I have very strong and muscular legs, like that of the footballers, naturally because I do nothing. As well as strong arms and forearms. Literally I wouldnt need protein shakes or anything of the sort to grow muscle quickly, I know from experience and comments from fitness friends, I hope it doesnt sound like I am bragging...

Sorry for the long message and the number of questions...and thanks once again!

AR

« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2018, 09:07:29 PM »

Hello Zion ,
If you and android don't mind let me ( not answer your questions ) but post my opinion .

- It's not recommended at all to remove the frame without anesthesia. If u can handle the pain and be calm to remove the wires and screws from ur bone u won't handle ur skin being cut and open to remove the inner screws that dr kulesh uses to support the fibula ( check android tibia x ray ) at the end part of the bone u will find small inner screw that connects the fibula to tibia for better support (Dr kulesh is building more than required stable frame , he wants to play it safer )

- the second quesion : you want to remove the frame after lengthening without even add nails : no dr would do that . In the best case you will be in cast and won't move at all and u will risk more than break bone u will risk non union because of the lack of un stability.
- gained 4 cms External Tibias in Russia
- went from 171 to 175
- still recovering and having the frames
-English is not my first language
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up