Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Giotikas - surgery done  (Read 29531 times)

zakika

Giotikas - surgery done
« on: July 30, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »

Opposite to my previous standpoint, I'll share my experience briefly so far, to write as objectively as possible.

All went fine so far, I'm doing TSF-tibia 5 cm with Giotikas in Athens. I'm at post op day 3, pain comes and goes, I was standing on my feet with walker yesterday, today was walking already a bit (very slowly, and carefully). The frame is quite heavy, didn't expect it, and I think my muscles are not really built enough just to handle it easily. Knee flexibility is quite good, toes-ankles too, however I feel, that my ankles are quite weak (had injuries when I was younger and playing soccer, mainly sprain, some partial tear), and sore, however I know I'm only post op day 3, still would like to make sure is stable, as lengthening will start in couple of days. 
Any opinion experience guys, how to strengthen ankles (the feeling is a bit burning-tiring feeling mixed with a slight spraining sensation when stretched, or dorsiflexed)?
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

doomsday

Re: Giotikas - surgery done
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 03:54:38 PM »

Dont worry, first few days are the worst. You body will adapt to the frames. Make sure you do your physio and walk as much as you can handle the pain. You legs will get stronger with the frames just make sure you eat a lot. Its extremely important that your body have enough nutrition to maintain good recovery.  I was cooking everyday dinner for myself while using a walker. So make sure you push yourself.

zakika

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »

Thanks Doomsday, I'm eating the hospital meal (which is quite delicious, and healthy), plus here protein bar, but will use protein shakes as well. I showed Giotikas all the vitamins, supplements I'm planning to take (Vit D, silica, Zinc, Vit B,C, Mg2+, K2 if won't interfere with bleeding and couple of more..), was a bit shocked :), and said that I won't need them, just in case the important ones I'll take.

The Dreamer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »

Great to see the first Giotikas diary !
Be strong and keep us updated man !
What is your starting height ? You mentioned you played football,do you have muscular calves ? Were you flexible before surgery ?
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

zakika

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »

I'm around 170-171, I didn't play professionally for longer, but played a lot, and the ligaments were quite loose. I think if you know why you're doing you have to pay attention, this is a bumpy road, just have to be realistic (it is not us, who determines the endpoint, but our bodies). My calves are muscular, but not overly muscular, and did the stretching exercises before the surgery (however, could've done it a lot earlier, mistake!), and felt how much more flexible I became. I think I'll be prone to ballerina, so Dr Giotikas organised an anti-ballerina holder, that I'll have to wear from the very beginning.
What I could've done better is stretching, but I'll do it everyday during these days as well. Another question came up, I'll workout for my upper body, just to maintain a general lymph drainage, and maybe use a rehab machine for the thighs.

notatroll

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »

good luck my friend  :D

Shadow91

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »

Finally a Giotikas dairy! I wish you the best mate and do your exercises dillegently.

zakika

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »

Thanks guys!

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »

Thanks guys!

All the best buddy. Giotikas is a target for me (I will do 5.5 cm tibia external, 7 CM femur stryde - sometime next year) and I eagerly look forward to your journey. Can you please advise how much total will be approximate budget (including rent, food, medicine etc.) from the day of tibia surgery to the day of full consolidation of femur (in other words total approximate spend for the whole journey).

zakika

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »

Gotikas himself is a quite serious person, his colleague (they are operating together) is a quite meticulous doctor (at least he seems to be  :), so I feel he is a good option, but it doesn't mean complications will be absent. I stay in the hospital a bit longer (actually I was chicken to leave sooner, as they offered), either you can stay her (150 EUR/day) or Theseus rehab centre 146 EUR/day (1800 EUR/2weeks), so they are not cheap, but for me safety comes first, and didn't i tend to do the surgery in the US.
How much in total, hard to predict, I calculate with a slower regeneration, and callus formation as they plan (they plan to stop lengthening at the end of October for 5 cm), I calculate at least a month delay (for safety again). After than consolidation 3 months again, so earliest possible for me end of Feb will be the stryde implantation, from there to walk unassisted I think I have to calculate 4 months at least for 5 cm femur. So I will be staying in Athens until next summer June-July. If all goes better, just a bonus, but I personally don't think there won't be at least minimal complications (at least my mindset). So briefly hard to predict, but food-accommodation is quite cheap in Athens (a flat/month from 450-650 USD eg.), in numbers I plan to spend around 70k EUR for everything (TSF+Stryde+accomodation..).

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 07:05:37 PM »

Gotikas himself is a quite serious person, his colleague (they are operating together) is a quite meticulous doctor (at least he seems to be  :), so I feel he is a good option, but it doesn't mean complications will be absent. I stay in the hospital a bit longer (actually I was chicken to leave sooner, as they offered), either you can stay her (150 EUR/day) or Theseus rehab centre 146 EUR/day (1800 EUR/2weeks), so they are not cheap, but for me safety comes first, and didn't i tend to do the surgery in the US.
How much in total, hard to predict, I calculate with a slower regeneration, and callus formation as they plan (they plan to stop lengthening at the end of October for 5 cm), I calculate at least a month delay (for safety again). After than consolidation 3 months again, so earliest possible for me end of Feb will be the stryde implantation, from there to walk unassisted I think I have to calculate 4 months at least for 5 cm femur. So I will be staying in Athens until next summer June-July. If all goes better, just a bonus, but I personally don't think there won't be at least minimal complications (at least my mindset). So briefly hard to predict, but food-accommodation is quite cheap in Athens (a flat/month from 450-650 USD eg.), in numbers I plan to spend around 70k EUR for everything (TSF+Stryde+accomodation..).

Thanks man, what kind of Visa is needed for such a long medical stay in Greece (I am not an EU or US citizen)?

zakika

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 07:17:31 PM »

Don't know about that, you should ask your embassy for EU/Greece.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 07:20:47 PM »

Don't know about that, you should ask your embassy for EU/Greece.

ok, thanks

Android

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

Great start zakika, looking forward to your updates!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:18 PM »

Did you meet any of his CLL patients? If yes, how are they doing?

champion90

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »

I too would like and should work from him .. so if you do in February do you know Stryde since it will be available this nail for Dr. Giotikas? From February or even before? and you know if Stryde, like dr Paley, Giotikas also will only pay 5k more than the Precise2? thanks friend

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »

+1 to the question.

Bonez

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 04:49:56 AM »

I saw he wrote that he did, in his previous thread regarding his consultation

Guys, I had my consultation with Dr Giotikas.... I met two of his patients with Precise femur, looked fine, are in the early phase. So basically he seems to be a good, safe option.

When my surgery approaches I will stay away from the forum, not willing to report or so, or answer questions.

We all thank you for changing your mind on staying away from the forum, this is the first Giotikas diary so we’re very eager to hear any details you are willing to share.

God speed brother, I plan to be there myself for surgery early next year, I hope I run into you
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:26:54 AM by Bonez »

zakika

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2018, 06:02:31 AM »

Thanks Bonez!

Tonight sleeping was really good (in contrary with yesterday, when I didn't ask for painkillers, and the pain kicked in around 2:00 AM, so I was just lying in bed, was really stupid). Today in the morning it was really uncomfortable to move, my legs, ankles feel really stiff, and painful when moving (the same with pin insertion sites proximally (below knee on tib-fib), I feel like I would need more passive motion PT, and active afterwards. 

An update: one of the guys I met in June (Giotikas Precise patient) who lengthened 5 cm is done with lengthening, and will travel back to the States I suppose early Aug. The other guy (7 cm) is still lengthening I guess (they started approx. the same time).

Next year I think we'll meet, I will hopefully be finished with tibia 5cm, and will start Stryde as soon as possible (regarding how exhausted I'll be).

zakika

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2018, 06:07:00 AM »

It is not confirmed yet, when Stryde will precisely available, but we were already talking about the 2nd surgery, and he seems quite sure, with the frame removal he will be able to insert Stryde the same time. He calculates it this year, but I have a feeling that my recovery will be slower, or at least I'll be as careful as possible, ad won't run with it, time is imprtant for me, but when it's about health it is secondary.

Bonez

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2018, 06:49:17 AM »

Yea that would be great! What kind of pain killers are they giving you? They say the beginning is the hardest part, hopefully you will be over that hump soon. Are you doing this by yourself or did you bring a family member or friend to help you?

zakika

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2018, 06:57:07 AM »

I'm by myself, so it is harder alone, but wasn't sure how others would handle this - by itself hard - situation, and on the bad days it would create more pressure. Yes, but as I see on others the pain will be always there, only sometimes better, sometimes worse. So I think I won't be over the pain, it is not the right approach, just have to condition myself to bear it, it is quite logical, without pain (of course the intensity is subjective) you can't lengthen your tissues. Hence someone undergoing this journey rather has to strengthen him/herself mentally.

myloginacc

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »

Wishing you the best. TSF is great.

Good luck!
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

zakika

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »

Thank you myloginacc. I just came back from walking with a walker, was surprised, it went significantly better, than yesterday despite the fact that I feel quite exhausted. Tiny steps...

Bonez

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 10:26:47 AM »

It’s great that your already making progress. Hopefully each day you’ll be getting better.

So it looks like your timeline is 7 month to lengthen and consolidate tibias 5cm, then 4 months for 5 cm with stryde in femurs for 11 months total. That seems like a reasonable timeline, I am sure you’ll reach your goal

zakika

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2018, 10:45:28 AM »

Thanks man, yes, it is my approximation, but we have to calculate bumps on the way (if I'll need more time for lengthening, won't hesitate or rush), just for staying on the ground.

zakika

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »

Post op day 5

A short update, I'm already walking alone, and my hunger is gradually increasing (today ate everything they put in front of me, plus asked someone to buy me protein bars, until I cannot make shake for me), I suppose as pain level diminishes. Yesterday was walking with a walker 3 times, today already 3 times, had my physio, and will walk at least once tonight (however the PT, and the fellow doc encouraged me to be patient, not to overtrain, and to relax muscles planned as well). I feel my ankles are weak, but significantly stronger than on post op day 1. The staff is very supportive, I was talking with the PT to start to train for the upper body, and he immediately started to organise me dumbbells, plus tools for making the physio for myself besides the morning session. So far so good. Oh, and I'm drinking a lot of water as well (like 3 liters/day appr.)!

Shadow91

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2018, 02:48:59 PM »

Sounds like your doing good buddy, keep up the fight ;)

zakika

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »

I wanted to share a photo from the frames, but doesn't go through (adjusted size as well).

Day6

Yesterday I pushed too hard an found myself on the short end, was really exhausted for 6 PM+the pain level increased significantly. I was directed to only walk with the PT. I think it is a wise order. At the end of the day I finally fell asleep around midnight (after I received the only IV painkiller (Tramadol) during the day - they continuously diminished, and switched to tablets -), but the nurses came in and out continuously, so my sleep was quite scattered, and minimal. In the morning I felt the lack of sleep (headache, dullness), so I try to sleep more today during the day. I feel, that I want to push it, but without a proper amount and quality of sleep+food it can be a lot slower. So have to build a schedule for proper timing for sleep, eating, and starting to get back to work to direct my attention a bit away from the process during the day (however timing when pain kicks in is not easy  :). I think I will post from time to time, but not as frequently as now.
Good luck for the lengtheners!

zakika

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »

Post op day 7

I started the lengthening today (after 7 hour of sleep yay :). The plan is 1mm/day (I did 0.25 already as the first "round"), but we will see how is it going, I won't mind 0.75 or lower if neccessary.

champion90

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »

good. usually immediately after the operation a few mm you already earn it. In your case, how tall are you now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up