Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Giotikas - surgery done  (Read 29512 times)

zakika

Re: Giotikas - surgery done
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »

day 27

Guys, I'm officially around 2 cm. Many things changed: my pain level increased significantly, so I increased the painkiller dose too, but not allowed to go over 3 tramal/day and 2lyrica. My pain is mainly around the left tibia below knee medially, mainly if I bend the knee I rather feel the pain on the frontal side. My right tibia, and my calves are painful as well, but the tibias site is the worst, can't sleep more, than 2-3 hrs in a row. I don't really know if it is normal, but don't think it would be wise to stop my whole journey earlier than at least 4 cm (I don't want to risk health, only if there is no infection). I diminished distraction to .75 today. I hope the pain will be better with time, as sleeping is totally disturbed.
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

Body Builder

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 01:24:02 AM »

day 27

Guys, I'm officially around 2 cm. Many things changed: my pain level increased significantly, so I increased the painkiller dose too, but not allowed to go over 3 tramal/day and 2lyrica. My pain is mainly around the left tibia below knee medially, mainly if I bend the knee I rather feel the pain on the frontal side. My right tibia, and my calves are painful as well, but the tibias site is the worst, can't sleep more, than 2-3 hrs in a row. I don't really know if it is normal, but don't think it would be wise to stop my whole journey earlier than at least 4 cm (I don't want to risk health, only if there is no infection). I diminished distraction to .75 today. I hope the pain will be better with time, as sleeping is totally disturbed.
These are nerve pains. I had exactly the same at about 2-3cm. After that, they have disappeared.
Don't be afraid, nothing seems wrong till now.

Stay strong!

Bonez

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 06:50:14 AM »

Wow it's already been almost a month, time sure flies. Sorry to hear about the pain, it's good that you slowed down the rate. Hopefully the pain will go away soon. Keep moving forward and persevere brother this will all be behind you soon enough.

zakika

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »

Thank you Bodybuilder, it really helps to receive input from previous LLers as yourself. I cancelled todays physio (called Giotikas first), and could sleep 2 hrs more, tbh it was such a good feeling to sleep slightly more (even 1-2 hrs). Both of my legs are stiff as hell.

zakika

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »

Thanks bro, it is a real mental game, I'm sure we can learn a lot about ourself during this journey, however now I'm thinking to invite one of my friends to increase social support at least for the next 6-8 weeks (lengthening). It was already planned to slow down today (around 2cm), but honestly I couldn't have taken the 1mm for longer (at least around now).

roseabc123@yahoo.in

• Visitor
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »

Hi bro me also exactly in the same phase of lengthening .myn is 30thday of lengthening reached 2.5cm so far.
I am still continuing with the 1mm perday untill I feel flexible.
Regarding pain I don't feel any pain in the mornings but at night little discomforr was there couldn't sleep more that 3to 4 hours  taking one pain killer at nights.

zakika

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »

Post op day 30

Guys, the pain seems to fluctuate, but gradually decreasing thank for God. I diminished the dose of painkillers, but for sleeping I'm still on them. I think for future LL'ers prepare DAILY social interactions, it is a huge of help, or the lack of it can make the journey (besides unique difficulties) a lot harder. So the hard part besides pain is that I've to lay all day long (when not walking), no real company besides the nurse, and if sleep is bad in a row, the experience can be tiring. I'm doing .75mm/day, as I count if I'm on it as an average for 30 days more, I'll be between 4,5-5 cm, now it seems to me the upper limit. Take care

zakika

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »

Small update

I had my X-ray this week, briefly: the alignment of bones is good, I don't know how far I'm cm-wise, but the distraction shows clearly on x-rays, and to my surprise I already have some obvious callus on both legs, which Dr Giotikas, and myself didn't expect. I'm doing the lengthening on 3 clicks, pain is present, I'm always taking painkillers before sleep, and usually in the morning. They will control the callus (and rate of distraction) continuously (I believe every 2 weeks), and as his partner said, if the callus is not continous, we will stop clicking, and continue if the bridge is built, plus his opinion is the same, don't lengthen over 5 cm on tibia (max 6, but over that amount the rate of complications is too high, plus the peroneal nerve is not close as solid as the nerves on the thigh). I like this safe approach, and try to walk 4 times a day, plus I started eating chia seed, other plant based stuffs, and colostrum in a week as well.

zakika

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »

News

It seems I have to have a minor surgery, because my fibula started to consolidate prematurely, and pulls away from the ankle, so on he 17th they will have to make a new incision, and Dr Giotikas will replace one of my pins that irritates my skin at the pros tibia level. I'm not happy to hear to undergo another operation, even if it is a minor one.

Another new is, an info from Giotikas, that Stryde will be available most likely already in December this year (as he said, the representative of nuvasive will visit Athens in Sept.).

Great321

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »

wish you the best for your surgery!

would you still consider doing tibia and femur in one year?

champion90

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2018, 09:54:13 PM »

Im so sorry for this..
But this minor surgery you'll going to do is it included in the cost or will you have to pay an extra?

zakika

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2018, 11:29:04 PM »

Update

On monday they will make an x-ray, to confirm, but so far - after they examined me on friday manually - the fibula head seems to be fine (symmetric, good height), so the operation is not sure. I don't mind these corrections, rather now, than at the end of lengthening. I think these costs are not included, but we didn't specify yet, however they are outpatient interventions, so at least hospital costs are absent.

So far I feel ok, and already have some impressions about the 2-3 cm (I won't tell anything 'till the next X-ray measurement) height advantage, as this week one of my friends visited me, who is 173 cm tall, and I clearly felt taller than her when walking (I hope it wasn't only an optimistic impression :).

I - theoretically - could do Stryde in Dec this year (it seems Giotikas will have it by then), but we discussed the thing, we will see how I will proceed, and decide it later (my thigh muscles, mainly my the extensors are quite atrophied, so it would make sense to regain strength, muscularity, however with weight bearing it shouldn't be a huge problem), maybe I'll make the second this year, or do an aggressive physiotherapy after frame removal, and continue not too many months later. Take care!

zakika

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »

Update

So, I had my X-rays today to decide, if I have to have the surgery, and measure my progress so far, and double good news are there: first, I won't need to undergo the surgery, as my fibula didn't consolidate completely, and distracts with callus, while didn't pull away from it's original location. Another good new (at least for me), that the X-rays showed on the right side 3,778 cm, on the left 3,65 cm, but Dr Giotikas said, they are both equal to around 3,3-3,4 cm, I was surprised, as I was a bit confused about the real distraction length. I think I will try to go over 5 cm (between 5-6 cm would be ideal, but if it is risky, around 5 cm is perfect too), if my soft tissues will allow it. Take care!

Great321

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2018, 03:43:03 AM »

Happy to hear about your good news:)

zakika

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »

Thanks man!

Shadow91

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »

Im glad to see that everything is going great. And thank you for continuing to uppdate your diary, especially since I and others want to do LL with Giotikas in the future.

zakika

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »

Thank you, I'll make at least one more post (if no bumps arise), after reaching around 5 cm. I'm really relieved about the current stage, and was surprised about the amount lengthened, however over 4 cm it will be more difficult for sure.

Bonez

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »

I hope everything going well Zakika. I'm happy to hear that you didn't need to have an extra surgery. Yea like Shadow said thanks for the updates there's lots of us that want to go to Giotikas. I'll actually be going to Athens in the next few months for a consultation I just need to get the time off work.

I thinks it's been about 2 months at this point, what is your impression of Dr. Giotikas so far? How have you liked living in Athens?

zakika

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »

Giotikas himself is very caring, pays attention to everything, follows you up, and is encouraging to contact him any Q's you have. His communication is flawless (even calls you back at night, if busy), so briefly it is obvious that he pays attention to every single, tiny detail, which is normal i think (that was the reason he called me about the possibility to have another operation, as he was double checking my X-rays, thank God it was not neccessary). So far it is the same for me actually where to stay inside the EU (besides weather, and the friendliness of people here), time flies when you're in a room sleeping through half of your day. I hired a personal aid ho's living with me, for the period my friends are not available. Next week I'll have my next X-ray, I had to slow down a bit because of pin site irritation, I'm these days around 4cm, so I'm glad I reached the minimum goal  :). Still heading until I feel it alright, but not more than 6 cm.   

MirinHeight

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »

Giotikas himself is very caring, pays attention to everything, follows you up, and is encouraging to contact him any Q's you have. His communication is flawless (even calls you back at night, if busy), so briefly it is obvious that he pays attention to every single, tiny detail, which is normal i think (that was the reason he called me about the possibility to have another operation, as he was double checking my X-rays, thank God it was not neccessary). So far it is the same for me actually where to stay inside the EU (besides weather, and the friendliness of people here), time flies when you're in a room sleeping through half of your day. I hired a personal aid ho's living with me, for the period my friends are not available. Next week I'll have my next X-ray, I had to slow down a bit because of pin site irritation, I'm these days around 4cm, so I'm glad I reached the minimum goal  :). Still heading until I feel it alright, but not more than 6 cm.   

Dr. Giotikas looks like a great option. I just read up his qualifications and he might be third next to dr. Paley and Rozbruch in rankings when it comes to qualifications. And he also has a phd in orthopedics which is no joke, along with MD. Def will consider him in future for tibias.

Thank you for this diary and looking forward to your recovery process!
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

champion90

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 12:28:45 PM »

I'm glad you didn't have to resort to another operation, this said I wanted to know how much it costs the help of a person who helps you? a week or a day? since I will work from him for half 2019 with stryde but leave alone for this trip ..
thanks and good luck

zakika

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »

Yes, he's into his specialty, and seems a very sophisticated doctor education wise. Thanks for following up.

zakika

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »

Thanks champion, personal worker's fees vary, if you hire from Athens it can change from 30-70 EUR/day (depending on the qualification - nurse, specialty assistant etc.), I hired mine from my home country and flied her in, it was way cheaper so, and makes my days so much more comfortable (plus in simple physiotherapy can help as well). Details I can write in private.

TinyTL

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:44 PM »

Hey man,

any news about Stryde availability?

zakika

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »

As it seems this late this year (nuvasive was in Athens, but I haven't been talking wth him about that yet).

zakika

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 11:07:40 AM »

Update - 5 cm

It seems I can progress further, today I'll reach 5 cm according to x-ray (which I had on thursday, 4,78-4,75 cm - right-left). Still I don't think I'll stop. I had some struggles last week, which was a pinsite irritation, that turned into infection, however Dr Giannakos (Dr Giotikas's partner) said, he thinks it is not an infection, I took a 5 days antibiotic course, and the wound healed by wednesday approximately. My left ankle is a bit swollen, now I'm about to regain flexibility, as I wasn't walking too much during the pin irritation period.
As I wrote I already passed the 4cm minimum, and now 5cm, so as planned I'll go towards 6 cm, but not more (Dr Giotikas said, over 6 cm there is a higher chance for the necessity for ATL, which he doesn't want to perform), so I think I'll stop between 5-6 cm depending on possible complications, pain etc.. Take care!

Body Builder

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »

Update - 5 cm

It seems I can progress further, today I'll reach 5 cm according to x-ray (which I had on thursday, 4,78-4,75 cm - right-left). Still I don't think I'll stop. I had some struggles last week, which was a pinsite irritation, that turned into infection, however Dr Giannakos (Dr Giotikas's partner) said, he thinks it is not an infection, I took a 5 days antibiotic course, and the wound healed by wednesday approximately. My left ankle is a bit swollen, now I'm about to regain flexibility, as I wasn't walking too much during the pin irritation period.
As I wrote I already passed the 4cm minimum, and now 5cm, so as planned I'll go towards 6 cm, but not more (Dr Giotikas said, over 6 cm there is a higher chance for the necessity for ATL, which he doesn't want to perform), so I think I'll stop between 5-6 cm depending on possible complications, pain etc.. Take care!
6cm is a very good amount and on the safe limit. More than that is unwise because the risk of equinus becomes big as Giotikas said.
Good job!

zakika

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »

Yes, I think the same. Thank for God my flexibility seems quite ok so far, but I know over 5 cm it is always tougher. One more thing, my callus seems to be continuous (it looked quite good for the whole period), and the alignment was also good on the last checkup according to Dr Giotikas, so things seem to be solid now. Thanks!

Shadow91

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »

Glad to hear! And i agree with Body Buldier. Be safe

ketchum

• Visitor
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »

It’s been almost 6 months since I had surgery and I strengthened my belief that 6cm is the absolute limit if you want to keep your health and athletic ability. You seems to be in good hands. Keep it up!

doomsday

« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »

Yes, I think the same. Thank for God my flexibility seems quite ok so far, but I know over 5 cm it is always tougher. One more thing, my callus seems to be continuous (it looked quite good for the whole period), and the alignment was also good on the last checkup according to Dr Giotikas, so things seem to be solid now. Thanks!
I would recommend to stop now when everything is ok. 5 cm on tibia is ok , then you can do easily 6 cm on femur and 11 cm will be a massive gain. Always keep in mind that your legs will have to work until you die, now youre young and strong but when you are in your 60s thing might look different. Pushing them too hard to see when they start struggling might bring negative effects in the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up