Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot walk after finished lengthening for 1 month (Precice tibia 5.72cm)  (Read 2916 times)

dragonslayer

For everyone who planning to do the surgery especially for tibia, the thing may not like your expected, it's not a 'DON'T DO IT', but really don't blindly do it.

It's been a month since I stopped lengthening, but I cannot tell how long I can return to normal life. For now I cannot straight my legs and I have ballerina foot now and because of the Precice nails I cannot stand up without support.

But I do exercise everyday and I believe eventually I will return to normal life without surgery treatment (it's the last method to gain the basically functions but would cause permanently damage), but at least it would take other months from now.

So for those people who did lengthening and during recovery period, I hope you can shall the progress and the others can know, and I will share mine in this post.

Now I mainly do these exercises:

A. Sit down on wheelchair and my heels is above the ground and use my own muscles to move my heels towards inside, repeatedly 2 mins, for each foot, and then circle my ankle repeatedly 2 mins for each foot. This is for my ankle flexibility (terrible right now)

B. Use my two hands grab my foot rotate to outside, 60 times per foot.

C. Put my feet on another chair and try to straight my legs as much as I can, and keep it for 10-20 mins.

D. Sit down and find the point I can keep my feet touch the ground and then move them little back and use my hands to push them to touch ground and keep a while, then I can remove my hands but they still touch ground then move them little back more and repeat.

..height...loading....

• Visitor

how much pt and stretching do you do each day?

Hagane

For everyone who planning to do the surgery especially for tibia, the thing may not like your expected, it's not a 'DON'T DO IT', but really don't blindly do it.

It's been a month since I stopped lengthening, but I cannot tell how long I can return to normal life. For now I cannot straight my legs and I have ballerina foot now and because of the Precice nails I cannot stand up without support.

But I do exercise everyday and I believe eventually I will return to normal life without surgery treatment (it's the last method to gain the basically functions but would cause permanently damage), but at least it would take other months from now.

So for those people who did lengthening and during recovery period, I hope you can shall the progress and the others can know, and I will share mine in this post.

A. Sit down on wheelchair and my heels is above the ground and use my own muscles to move my heels towards inside, repeatedly 2 mins, for each foot, and then circle my ankle repeatedly 2 mins for each foot. This is for my ankle flexibility (terrible right now)

C. Put my feet on another chair and try to straight my legs as much as I can, and keep it for 10-20 mins.

D. Sit down and find the point I can keep my feet touch the ground and then move them little back and use my hands to push them to touch ground and keep a while, then I can remove my hands but they still touch ground then move them little back more and repeat.

hey man are you mobiliizing at all?
Bilateral tibia lengthening with Dr Gdalevitch 02/2023
starting height approx 167cm ( morning height)
gained  55.55mm
End height approx just shy of 5 foot 8 ( morning height)

balme

aren't you supposed to need 2-3 months to walk normally after stopping lengthening anyway? I don't get it.

EndGame

aren't you supposed to need 2-3 months to walk normally after stopping lengthening anyway? I don't get it.
+1

Hagane

its should be a gradual increase yes from partial weightbearing to full weight bearing with support to  fullweightbearing

but from what he typed it sounds like he is still wheelchairbound and cannot walk at all
 where he should at least be mobilizing with walker
gained  55.55mm

EndGame

its should be a gradual increase yes from partial weightbearing to full weight bearing with support to  fullweightbearing

but from what he typed it sounds like he is still wheelchairbound and cannot walk at all
 where he should at least be mobilizing with walker
One should be able to mobilize with walker during lengthening starting about one week post op. It's just you must push down to de-weight. At Paley Institute they have you stand on scale while pushing down to get a good sense for how hard you must push down to stay within safe limits. It's usually 2+ months of consolation before that changes. I feel for him having gone through it myself but his experience sounds typical as to be expected from what he wrote.

Hagane

One should be able to mobilize with walker during lengthening starting about one week post op. It's just you must push down to de-weight. At Paley Institute they have you stand on scale while pushing down to get a good sense for how hard you must push down to stay within safe limits. It's usually 2+ months of consolation before that changes. I feel for him having gone through it myself but his experience sounds typical as to be expected from what he wrote.

i agree with you in that what youre saying is what the typical timeline for a patient healing should be

i disagree in that i dont think hes falling behind in that typical timeline judging by his posts it dosnt seem like he has been mobilizing at all. it seems like he has been wheelchair bound during his entire lengthening and is still not mobilizing.  i think a typical paitent would definetly get back to non weightbearing walking within the 2-3 months of consolidation, however those patients are typically mobilizing around during their lengthening period.
gained  55.55mm

mellowrain

• Visitor

please give us an update

binsisi

• Visitor

Give us an Update Bro

tokyoteen

• Visitor

Give us an Update Bro
following, OP say something!

dragonslayer

Still cannot walk, can't straight to 0 degree and ballerina, will take another x-ray after one or two week(s)

wantingtobetaller

Re: Cannot walk after finished lengthening for 1 month (Precice tibia 5.72cm)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 02:10:10 AM »

Still cannot walk, can't straight to 0 degree and ballerina, will take another x-ray after one or two week(s)

Hey bro its been about 4 month since your last post, can you walk properly now?

Bagga

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 02:48:53 AM »

How many cm you have lengthened?
What is the rate of lengthening?
Did you not feel anything during lengthening? rather than wait until LL completion?
How is your xray result review?
Dun you have your doctor to advise you?

It is quite impossible for you cannot walk at all unless there is some issues like nerve or muscles damages
By right, you should be able to walk with crutches after few months of consolidation phase.

Bagga

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 02:58:21 AM »

How many cm you have lengthened?
What is the rate of lengthening?
Did you not feel anything during lengthening? rather than wait until LL completion?
How is your xray result review?
Dun you have your doctor to advise you?

It is quite impossible for you cannot walk at all unless there is some issues like nerve or muscles damages
By right, you should be able to walk with crutches after few months of consolidation phase.

I believed you did fast rate of Lengthening.
Your Nerve and muscles cannot catch up.
You will have the long road of recovery, continue to do the stretching and muscles training exercises.

Beemer m3

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023, 07:34:00 AM »

yeh everyone gets ballerina feet when doing tibia lengthening. i got mild case of ballerina feet. my knees werent straight. my pt helped me throughout the month to straighten my knees and feet. after straightening my feet i can walk on crutches. it goes down when you use a walker and walk alot
before 168cm current 173.5 cm
ilizarov tibia
sept 2023

goal 2025-26 precice max femur

babygirl

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 12:35:38 AM »

Brother give us an update, are you alright?
1.84m. | That's 6' and ½ inch.
Researching limb shortening.
Pages: [1]   Go Up