Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley  (Read 110488 times)

MyEvolution

Re: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley
« Reply #341 on: November 06, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »

Wow. You’re a badasss dude! Very inspiring. 7.5cm would mean you’d almost hit 6” in a little over a year... that must be life changing! Rooting for you man, keep pushing!

Thank you! And honestly i cannot express how life changing this is. Im going from being a 5’5 dude to a 5’11 guy no shoes, with shoes i’ll be 6ft maybe 6’1 with lifts . All of my friends will notice but frankly idgaf. I will not apologize for being me. I wont tell them I did LL maybe ill say i did HGH or late bloomer but yes this is a very life changing thing no doubt

InFullStryde

« Reply #342 on: November 06, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »

Thank you! And honestly i cannot express how life changing this is. Im going from being a 5’5 dude to a 5’11 guy no shoes, with shoes i’ll be 6ft maybe 6’1 with lifts . All of my friends will notice but frankly idgaf. I will not apologize for being me. I wont tell them I did LL maybe ill say i did HGH or late bloomer but yes this is a very life changing thing no doubt

I'm so happy for you, man.  KEEP.GOING.STRONG. I know you are.   
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

TemakiSushi

« Reply #343 on: November 06, 2019, 04:59:22 PM »

Wow thank you this is very useful!!

Perhaps i should post my current stretching routin so yall can give me input
But so far what i’ve been doing is every hour i’ll go stand on the board for 12 minutes. 6 mins is a dedicated achilles area stretch (you bend you knee and push it forward) and other 6 minutes is a straight leg stretch for the upper calf area

So far i’ve been hitting it every hour so in a day roughly 8-12 times so total stretch time would be.. 12x10 120 mins so 2 hours!! Wow i’m slacking

Can I get more information? Did he just stand on it what was the strategy? Is there a forum

Thank you so much i really wanna hit as close to 8 as possible
He continued standing calf stretch with a wedge for about an hour or so depending on the muscle condition; when muscle started to shake, he stopped stretching and had some minutes of break, repeated this at least several time a day
Also used leg press machine to stretch knees, pushing away and holding the heavy board with straight legs

never stopped stretching exercise even when he had pin site infections
It’s super painful to do exercise with infections but continued with oxycodone or some injections

when he started having slight contracture in his knees towards the end of lengthening, he spent more time on leg press machine with sand bags to push down knees
At Donghoon hosp they give PT sessions 5 times a week for 4 months
They change programs depending on each patient since the conditions of patients vary and not the same for everyone
Donghoon also doesn’t  allow patients to continue lengthening when there’s no ankle dorsiflexion
For him to reach 7.6 cm, it took about 6months
After the 4 months, he took PT sessions a few times a week
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

MyEvolution

« Reply #344 on: November 06, 2019, 09:17:30 PM »

He continued standing calf stretch with a wedge for about an hour or so depending on the muscle condition; when muscle started to shake, he stopped stretching and had some minutes of break, repeated this at least several time a day
Also used leg press machine to stretch knees, pushing away and holding the heavy board with straight legs

never stopped stretching exercise even when he had pin site infections
It’s super painful to do exercise with infections but continued with oxycodone or some injections

when he started having slight contracture in his knees towards the end of lengthening, he spent more time on leg press machine with sand bags to push down knees
At Donghoon hosp they give PT sessions 5 times a week for 4 months
They change programs depending on each patient since the conditions of patients vary and not the same for everyone
Donghoon also doesn’t  allow patients to continue lengthening when there’s no ankle dorsiflexion
For him to reach 7.6 cm, it took about 6months
After the 4 months, he took PT sessions a few times a week

Wow that sounds like a plot out of a movie! As if he went through all of that, what a true legend!!
I spoke to my PT guy he said he’s gotten people to 8cm in tibias before, if I stretch every hour hopefully my routine works

TemakiSushi

« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »

He said other patients who aimed for less than 6cm were doing less hours of stretching than him
Doing over 7cm seems really tough
Besides he plans to do femurs aiming 8cm next year, he had reasons to go through the toughest rehabilitations
But with Stryde which allows you to walk FWB it helps to maintain flexibility more easily
Walking is good excercise and not that boring as just standing for hours with pain
He said the contracture of anckles or knees comes all suddenly and become quite severe very quickly, better not ignore when the slight sign of contracture is seen and need to adjust the program  to overcome the problems
90 degree ankle is already considered as ballerina there, the insteps need to touch the last ring of the external frame

BTW those who were doing precice tibia there didn’t use splints at night
Maybe the day time program makes some difference
Or maybe because those Asians with less muscle have easier time stretching
Precice tibia patients hardly have severe pains when not doing stretches

It’s written in Japanese, so I write details of what I heard from him here on behalf of him
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64200.msg163788#msg163788
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:22:44 PM by TemakiSushi »

Ghostfish

« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2019, 01:02:10 AM »

BTW those who were doing precice tibia there didn’t use splints at night
Maybe the day time program makes some difference
Or maybe because those Asians with less muscle have easier time stretching
Precice tibia patients hardly have severe pains when not doing stretches

Thanks for info, TemakiSushi.  However, this part may be not really true.  All patients for tibias are strongly recommended or even requested to wear splints as much as possible. When I was in Paley, it was a transition moment of Precice and Strdye, so I saw patients for tibias with either Precice or Strdye.  They were all required to wear splints.  Of course, all ppl complained about splints, as they are really uncomfortable.  In Dr. Lee's hospital, patients with Precice nails in tibia never aim for over 6 cm but perhaps only for 5 cm.  I have read their info, made contacts with hospitals, and met some patients, so I am pretty sure about their policy and plans and patient's goals/experience.  Since Precice is not a full weight bearing, it is much harder to get good stretches on ankles with Precice, unlike full weight bearing devices such as external or stryde.  Since their goal is not high, that is why many patients with Precicee may not wear splints.  But trust me.  It is always better to wear splints, if you are doing tibias.

MyEvolution

« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2019, 04:07:31 AM »

Thanks for info, TemakiSushi.  However, this part may be not really true.  All patients for tibias are strongly recommended or even requested to wear splints as much as possible. When I was in Paley, it was a transition moment of Precice and Strdye, so I saw patients for tibias with either Precice or Strdye.  They were all required to wear splints.  Of course, all ppl complained about splints, as they are really uncomfortable.  In Dr. Lee's hospital, patients with Precice nails in tibia never aim for over 6 cm but perhaps only for 5 cm.  I have read their info, made contacts with hospitals, and met some patients, so I am pretty sure about their policy and plans and patient's goals/experience.  Since Precice is not a full weight bearing, it is much harder to get good stretches on ankles with Precice, unlike full weight bearing devices such as external or stryde.  Since their goal is not high, that is why many patients with Precicee may not wear splints.  But trust me.  It is always better to wear splints, if you are doing tibias.

To add to what you said, my PT person told me he had 6 people hit 8cm in tibias. Also, he said the last person who hit 8cm that he can remember was 3 years ago and also said it was a precise patient

Perhaps stryde should help because i am always walking
Anyways i’ll ask my PT guy more questions monday any insightful questions leave down below

Michael01

« Reply #348 on: November 07, 2019, 06:03:20 AM »

Can you describe for us how is your pt session? Does it change every session or it's more the same stretches?

TemakiSushi

« Reply #349 on: November 07, 2019, 06:25:51 AM »

I’ve collected information of a several precice patients of Donghoon
There are some people reached to 6 cm tibia with precice
So 5 cm limit is not really concrete, Donghoon pays attention to the condition and proportion of each patient rather than the specific number
About Stryde, he has mentioned that it’s probably possible to reach further lengthening than precice depending on the conditions
About splints, those people who have ballerina probably better to use splints
But they do really good everyday PT and order patients to do stretch anckles for long time with rubber bands, I guess many don’t have ballerina even with precice, also muscle mass really counts, asian females don’t have much problems as Caucasian males
Some never took oxycodone nor tramadol during lengthening, some finished lengthening basically painless

MyEvolution

« Reply #350 on: November 07, 2019, 09:43:45 PM »

Can you describe for us how is your pt session? Does it change every session or it's more the same stretches?

It’s pretty much same thing

Most important / main stretch is you stand on the slant board one leg at a time
First bend your knee pushing it forward u feel a stretch in your achilles, 3 minutes each leg
Then straight down trying to touch your heel to the board on the sland, while keeping a straight posture, 3 mins each leg
Total 12 min stretch time. Then the rest of PT is random unimportant   tbh

Michael01

« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2019, 10:30:04 PM »

First bend your knee pushing it forward u feel a stretch in your achilles, 3 minutes each leg
Then straight down trying to touch your heel to the board on the sland, while keeping a straight posture, 3 mins each leg
Total 12 min stretch time. Then the rest of PT is random unimportant   tbh

I imagine something like this.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #352 on: November 08, 2019, 11:33:52 AM »

Total 12 min stretch time. Then the rest of PT is random unimportant   tbh

I just confirmed that the 7.6cm tibia guy was told to do the same amount of long hours stretching even with Stryde at Donghoon hosp, he will be doing Stryde femur
Also precice patients they do the same long hours stretching on bed, I guess living in the hospital is very boring so people tend to dedicate themselves to stretching more hours
7 hours average if aiming 8cm.  Less hours if aiming less cm.  NOT counting breaks
I guess there BF is managed well that’s why precice patients at inpatient ward usually don’t use splints, with good dorsiflexion it seems no need of it there  but provably if there is slight BF better to use splints
 You got very strong will, you’ll make it to 8cm I hope.  Good luck
My Japanese friends feel grateful to your diary.  Thanks a lot
Wish you have some time for video

dreamBig

• Visitor
« Reply #353 on: November 08, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »

He said other patients who aimed for less than 6cm were doing less hours of stretching than him
Doing over 7cm seems really tough
Besides he plans to do femurs aiming 8cm next year, he had reasons to go through the toughest rehabilitations

hi TemakiSushi, from what I see in the forum, it seems people who plan do both femur and tibia lengthening tends to do femur first, did you know why your friend chose to do tibia first?

TemakiSushi

« Reply #354 on: November 09, 2019, 01:23:13 AM »

Oh his case it’s because Donghoon will have Stryde end of this year
The last year they didn’t have it yet
The reason why we tend to do tibias is Because most Japanese have short bent tibias
For us tibia surgery is more important than femurs

dreamBig

• Visitor
« Reply #355 on: November 09, 2019, 04:55:02 AM »

The reason why we tend to do tibias is Because most Japanese have short bent tibias
hi, TemakiSushi, thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense. I was thinking that it might also have the benefit to make it easier to achieve the 7~8cm lengthening goal for tibia if done first. But that is just my idea, I have not read anything in the forum that support this idea.

MyEvolution

« Reply #356 on: November 09, 2019, 05:43:09 AM »

I imagine something like this.

Ya that’s litterally the exact stretch!!

MyEvolution

« Reply #357 on: November 09, 2019, 05:44:31 AM »

Is the stretch he did like the video or did he litterally just stand on the board for hours? I’m going to ask my PT guy what he thinks of this method you are talking about!

Appreciate the insight i really wanna hit 8cm ballerina free

TemakiSushi

« Reply #358 on: November 09, 2019, 05:48:41 AM »

OYG did quadrilateral and did tibia first, 3weeks after tibias, did femurs at Paley
I don’t know the reasons why tibia first in his case

TemakiSushi

« Reply #359 on: November 09, 2019, 06:02:49 AM »

Is the stretch he did like the video or did he litterally just stand on the board for hours? I’m going to ask my PT guy what he thinks of this method you are talking about!

Appreciate the insight i really wanna hit 8cm ballerina free
Continuous Standing calf stretch with wedge is for Achilles
He said it was extreamly painful screaming and crying sometimes, but continued stretching and after like 30min, suddenly endorphins come out in the brain and cease the pain, so he could continue stretching longer period and once calves start to shake, it was time to have a break.  Repeated this several times a day
For upper part like back of knee, he used leg press machine and sand bag weights over his knees and straighten legs.  Also for a long period sitting in this position

But precice patients, they use rubber bands to stretch calves on the bed and they were told to be very careful not to push too much so that the precice nail wouldn’t break when doing the same continuous long hours stretching

Physical therapists were checking the forms of stretches everyday except for weekends
Also they give massage

I guess moving legs like in the video wouldn’t induce endorphins
Need more continuous pressure or pain for brain to induce endorphins
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:45:49 AM by TemakiSushi »

TemakiSushi

« Reply #360 on: November 09, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »

Also calf raise like in the video is prohibited for tibia lengthening there until lengthening is finished
Calf raise will make calf muscles thicker and harder to stretch calves

TemakiSushi

« Reply #361 on: November 09, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »

He gave me more specific summaries;
About half an hour continuous standing calf stretch with straighten knees, sometimes less minutes depending muscle condition
Then about 5 min break
so I assume total set is like more than 15 sets everyday to reach 7 hours
It’s boring so he did it with listening audiobooks or watching videos
Only When he experienced continuous extreme pain, his brain started to induce endorphins
Endorphins won’t happen everyday, happened only when pain is extreme and continuous
After 4cm lengthening, his knees started contracture a bit, so PT ordered him to add leg press machine stretching
Later half of the lengthening he was doing longer hours, some days reached over 9 hours of stretching. 
He also did knee stretches even when having meals

MyEvolution

« Reply #362 on: November 11, 2019, 05:44:49 AM »

Update

I think i have been over stretching or over walking because when i touch my ankle it feels like an injury, it’s super swollen and i have been barely getting any sleep. Weird i thought my quality of life was going up, guess not yet still sorta going through hell. Its weid because only night time is difficult
During the day because i’m moving around alot and staying busy there isnt much focused pain. Only at night when i finally wanna relax it hits me

TemakiSushi

« Reply #363 on: November 11, 2019, 06:07:32 AM »

Oh poor boy
Do those splints hold calves very tight?
Maybe circulation isn’t good at night
Walking helps circulation during daytime I think

adidas

• Visitor
« Reply #364 on: November 11, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »

hi evolution. hang in there. that's what I tell myself too. all these shall pass. keep the eyes on the prize :-\

MyEvolution

« Reply #365 on: November 11, 2019, 04:04:25 PM »

I have terrible news :(

After my doctor visit and PT visits
My pt left leg is 7 degrees, right leg is 10 degrees. This however is while pushing hard

Doctor said my left leg is so tight that it is “stop worthy”

This week i will be 2x my PT & streching as much as possible

I have a doctor’s follow up appt on monday

He said i have a 0% chance of hitting 6cm. You guys know i am going to give it everything i got to try to go as far as we can but this is very sad news to me :( im stretching as much as i can and I am struggling really hard. Any help is helpful

As of today I have slowed down my lengthening to 2 turns / day
I am at 3cm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:11:24 PM by MyEvolution »

adidas

• Visitor
« Reply #366 on: November 11, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »

hi evolution. ever tot of slowing it even further. this will stretch and slow down the entire duration even taking breaks at the 5 or 6 cm mark but it will get u there safer and eventually. discuss with your doc further? worthy aspiration are never easy.. keep your fight going and keep forging new routes to your end goal as safe as u can

Movie

« Reply #367 on: November 11, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »

That's tough to hear from your doctor bro, but where there's a will there's a way, maybe just slow down distraction through out the rest of the process, might take you longer but if you really want to reach your goals you'll do what you got to do! anyway hope if all turns out in your favor bro, sending positivity your way, you got this !!
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

TemakiSushi

« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »

Average lengthening speed of tibia at Donghoon is much slower. 
Only 4cm for 3 months. 
This is to reduce risks such as non union, pain and contracture
The 7.6 guy took 6 months to reach to that much
You are still going ahead, if your consolidation arrows, better to do slowly
The 7.6 guy overcame a slight BF at 5cm by slowing down
It took about 3 weeks to increase dorsiflexion for him after the very slight BF
just like your condition considered as a slight BF
Some people slow down to 0.25cm a day

Alu

« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2019, 02:47:48 AM »

I have terrible news :(

After my doctor visit and PT visits
My pt left leg is 7 degrees, right leg is 10 degrees. This however is while pushing hard

Doctor said my left leg is so tight that it is “stop worthy”

This week i will be 2x my PT & streching as much as possible

I have a doctor’s follow up appt on monday

He said i have a 0% chance of hitting 6cm. You guys know i am going to give it everything i got to try to go as far as we can but this is very sad news to me :( im stretching as much as i can and I am struggling really hard. Any help is helpful

As of today I have slowed down my lengthening to 2 turns / day
I am at 3cm

I don't mean to be harsh or be that guy, but I think you should count your blessings here and consider stopping soon. You've already gained quite a bit and I just don't see any reason for you to worry too much about trying to gain just a couple more CM at the cost of functional legs. Listen very closely to what your doctor says

Michael01

« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2019, 04:35:30 AM »

I think there is at least one good news. Some irresponsible doctor may have let you lengthen even if it will result in troubles. Your doctor will make you stop when your body need to stop.

ShortLivesMatter

« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2019, 05:25:10 AM »

Hang in there bro. You already did femur LL so now your muscles are tighter than a person doing LL for the first time which is why you are getting tight quickly.  Ask Paley if he can do a gastrocnemius fascia release on you to make you looser. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23   Go Up