Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley  (Read 109594 times)

MyEvolution

Re: Femurs & Tibias with Dr Paley
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 01:40:37 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your update!

Did Paley say why he didn't want you to start lengthening right after surgery?
I was told patients should lengthen as soon as possible to avert early consolidation.

Thanks

So one of the doctors came in on day3 to show me how to lengthen & to start. That day i did 1mm.
The next day, Dr.Paley came in with like 4 people to answer any questions etc & they he said i’ll start to lengthen day7. Then one of the doctors said, well he already started yesterday! & they were kinda arguing like what?! All stature patients must start on day7
So i stopped lengthening since then I started again today

Ascending

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2018, 09:29:55 AM »

Physio started Monday & here is what I quickly realized. Yes I can walk weight bearing under normal, full energy well rested days, but i’ve come to realize after doing 3-4 physio sessions daily, walking unassisted is just too taxing & exhuasting. I feel like today I just woke up having barely slept last night (another issue is i can’t seem to sleep without waking up 3-4 times/night while not taking pain meds. I dont wanna be addicted to pain meds tho so idk what to do)
Walking unassisted requires a full energy body so i’ve been using crutches more to get around.
Hey Evolution, do you think that the physio is as necessary as it was for the Precice nail, where the lack of mobility would almost guarantee muscle wastage and reduced ROM?  Is it possible that with weight bearing nails walking a lot is actually much better than the quite painful physio?  I think OYG said something similar - that he thought that walking was more effective as therapy than the physio itself.

Leggs

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

MyEvolution-

What diameter of STRYDE do you currently have in your femurs? Is it the 10mm, 11.5mm or the 13mm.

Have you discussed with Dr. Paley which diameter of STRYDE you will have for your future tibia lengthening?

How much did you weigh before your femur surgery?

MyEvolution

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »

I weighed 160LB before surgery at 11% BF

There is definately no replacement for physio because a lot of the excersises are mainly just a warm up for the important part which actually is stretching, especially the IT band which no amount of walking can makeup for stretching it. It’s tough

Biggest issue right now is pain management and sleeping.
Last night i got 3 hours of sleep, it’s getting to the point where i no longer make an effort to sleep. When i am sleepy i’ll sleep. So i slept 3 hours at night, 3 hours around 6am & im getting drowsy atm so i’ll probably go nap for more. We are pretty much toddlers, waking up at night not being able to sleep, sleeping throughout the day. Don’t fight it
Ive also went ahead and ordered this mattress off amazon as recommended by another member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UYG9WB8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=oyg-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00UYG9WB8&linkId=c1e4bca3e7126ae03e9f7af68232a5c7

It apparently fixed his sleep so lets give it a try
My problem is pain management, i’m always around 5/10 but idk what pain meds to take & how much. Im afraid of getting addicted so I just fight through it any help is appreciated

MyEvolution

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2018, 10:48:19 PM »

I forgot to ask but what are all the recommended supplements I should take?
So far i am taking a men’s multi vitamin, D3 5,000IU (twice daily)
I heard calcium is a good addition and something that starts with an S?

Thanks guys

MyEvolution

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2018, 02:49:29 AM »

Sorry for all the questios how many callries shoild I be eating? I heard it’s 2,000 calories per bone if so ive been def undereating

Pilor

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2018, 06:05:44 AM »

Combine calcium with sufficient magnesium. Actually magnesium appears to be more important.

S -> Silicon

Why do you fight taking pain medication? Pain medication is strongly recommanded because it helps you recover, do the physio and get some sleep. In this case the pro strongly outweight the cons. Only reason I see to not take pain meds if you have a history of drug abuse.

Why can't aou sleep? Is it solely because of the pain, or are there any other issues?

Keep up!

Ascending

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »

There is definately no replacement for physio because a lot of the excersises are mainly just a warm up for the important part which actually is stretching, especially the IT band which no amount of walking can makeup for stretching it. It’s tough
That makes sense.  It is a shame though that the physio impacts the ability to walk more as I think the combination of walking and physio would be optimal.

JohnOdin

• Visitor
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »

Hey evolution,
For supplements, from what I've read you should take a lot of protein (some people use protein powder and protein bars). also you should discuss calcium with Dr. Paley just in case it gives you early consolidation or something like that.
also there is a thread for painkillers by LL patients here: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=293.0

Ascending

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »

Why do you fight taking pain medication? Pain medication is strongly recommanded because it helps you recover, do the physio and get some sleep. In this case the pro strongly outweight the cons. Only reason I see to not take pain meds if you have a history of drug abuse.
I have to agree.  Without sufficient pain killers your muscular skeletal system will start to adjust your stance and movement for the pain.  This will cause uneven distribution of load and lead to more pain elsewhere.  This in turn will quickly reduce the effectiveness of your recovery.  I note that many LLers take pain killers before the physio to get the most of it which is probably a good idea.

MyEvolution, I too would like to know what sized nails you were given?  My understanding is that only the 11.5mm nail is currently available - is this true?

Leggs

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »

Hey MyEvolution, i'd really appreciate it if you would let us know what diameter of Stryde you currently have in your femurs, and what diameter you will have in your tibias.

There is the 10mm, the 11.5mm, and the 13mm. All three diameters are currently available and all three have different weight bearing limits.

A video of you during physical therapy would be so helpful and informative. Please consider posting. Thanks.

MyEvolution

« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »

Quote from: JohnOdin link=topic=9104.msg95984#msg95984
also there is a thread for painkillers by LL patients here: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=293.0
[/quote
Omg thank you so much!! This is exactly what I need. It’s not that i refuse pain killers i simply have 0 experience using them. I’ve never used a pain killer in my life up till this point. Any time i had a head ache or injury i just dealt with it clearly that doesnt work here

Yes i can post a physio video for yall I have plenty of them :)

MyEvolution

« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2018, 02:11:59 PM »

Hey MyEvolution, i'd really appreciate it if you would let us know what diameter of Stryde you currently have in your femurs, and what diameter you will have in your tibias.

There is the 10mm, the 11.5mm, and the 13mm. All three diameters are currently available and all..

Hey sorry for forgetting to address this, I will ask the next chance I get I promise

edwardv6

« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2018, 09:41:32 PM »

LMFAO at the two posters begging you to not make videos about LL haha

Guys like them just transfer their stress from feeling short to having to hide that they did LL and worry someone might find out. Funniest part about it is one of those two posters said and I quote, would sell their house to do LL lol do what you want man, if you want to do videos do it, don't let a bunch of insecure guys with deceptive intentions tell you not to do a video for their benefit.
banned for flaming/hostility

cool

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »

Hi myevolution,

How long before the surgery date did you book the surgery and how long before exactly did you pay for it?

Like you, I am not American and I am thinking about consulting Dr. Paley first, before scheduling the surgery. Do you think it will be possible to do this in one visit? It's a very long trip for me, and I would rather not do it twice.

Like I go to Florida on 1st Feb, meet Dr Paley and then schedule the surgery for 15th Feb and pay for it in full.

Even though Dr Paley is well reputed, I would only feel comfortable to commit to this only after I meet him.

Thanks man!
8)

MyEvolution

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2018, 06:44:08 AM »

Hi myevolution,

How long before the surgery date did you book the surgery and how long before exactly did you pay for it?

Like you, I am not American and I am thinking about consulting Dr. Paley first, before scheduling the surgery. Do you think it will be possible to do this in one visit? It's a very long trip for me, and I would rather not do it twice.

Like I go to Florida on 1st Feb, meet Dr Paley and then schedule the surgery for 15th Feb and pay for it in full.

Even though Dr Paley is well reputed, I would only feel comfortable to commit to this only after I meet him.

Thanks man!

So i seriously started planning this sometime in august. I called & wanted the surgery as early as possible since most my friends e going to school. The earliest they gave me was sep25th,
Surgery cannot be secured unless $10,000 safety deposit is made
Once the safety deposit is made full payment is due 2 weeks before surgery

Hope that helps
Call & ask questions best thing, ask for Angelique

MyEvolution

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2018, 06:52:29 AM »

Guys I need serious help with pain management. This pain gets worse at night where it’s at a 6-7
The best way to describe the pain is like this: imagine you injured one of your body parts. If someone were to randomally touch it, you’d jump away because it hurts in a weird way. Now imagine someone were to squeeze your injured body part on a scale of 1-10; That’s exactly the pain I feel, except sometimes it feels like someone is squeezing harder sometimes less
At night the squeeze is hard enough that i cannot sleep, & sometimes like now it’s at a 7 after I already took 5mg of OXY i cant even lay still, or sit down or stand it’s like torture. I keep moving to move the pain around but like OMG i just want it to go away

cool

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2018, 07:31:58 AM »

So i seriously started planning this sometime in august. I called & wanted the surgery as early as possible since most my friends e going to school. The earliest they gave me was sep25th,
Surgery cannot be secured unless $10,000 safety deposit is made
Once the safety deposit is made full payment is due 2 weeks before surgery

Hope that helps
Call & ask questions best thing, ask for Angelique

Thanks man. A couple more questions about what you did if I may:

1. Did you pay the 87.5 grand for surgery (87.5 - 10 advance) before meeting Dr. Paley even once?
2. A question out of paranoia: If for some reason you fall sick a few days before the surgery, would they postpone it free of charge? Or do you lose all your money? I've been feeling funny levels of anxiety these days as I plan this surgery with Dr Paley.
3. Did the hospital give you any paperwork to show the immigration officers during your entry into the country?
8)

cool

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »

Guys I need serious help with pain management. This pain gets worse at night where it’s at a 6-7
The best way to describe the pain is like this: imagine you injured one of your body parts. If someone were to randomally touch it, you’d jump away because it hurts in a weird way. Now imagine someone were to squeeze your injured body part on a scale of 1-10; That’s exactly the pain I feel, except sometimes it feels like someone is squeezing harder sometimes less
At night the squeeze is hard enough that i cannot sleep, & sometimes like now it’s at a 7 after I already took 5mg of OXY i cant even lay still, or sit down or stand it’s like torture. I keep moving to move the pain around but like OMG i just want it to go away

Why don't you email Dr. Paley or Dr. Craig about this? Not an LLer, but it is well known that the first two weeks are very difficult. You are still feeling the trauma of the surgery, distraction aside. Maybe you should take the Oxy a little liberally for a week or so and then taper off. Stay strong!
8)

TinyTL

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »

Funniest part about it is one of those two posters said and I quote, would sell their house to do LL lol do what you want man, if you want to do videos do it, don't let a bunch of insecure guys with deceptive intentions tell you not to do a video for their benefit.
You sir are a proper condescending pr!ck. I am sure you are referring to my post http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9262.msg95583#msg95583

Its laughable how clueless you are. I said I could sell my apartment and salvage like 140k to do surgery with Dr. Paley. I bought this like 5 years ago and its value has increased. I bet you would rather keep the apartment and go to russian, india or some  ty country and get butchered with with permanent knee pain, scars all over the leg.

Money is just money, time is much more valuable. Spending my time as a short person is like not efficiently using your time because I could be so much more if I were taller.

MyEvolution

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »

Thanks man. A couple more questions about what you did if I may:

1. Did you pay the 87.5 grand for surgery (87.5 - 10 advance) before meeting Dr. Paley even once?
2. A question out of paranoia: If for some reason you fall sick a few days before the surgery, would they postpone it free of charge? Or do you lose all your money? I've been feeling funny levels of anxiety these days as I plan this surgery with Dr Paley.
3. Did the hospital give you any paperwork to show the immigration officers during your entry into the country?

1. Yea exactly, paid the 10k first & all of that before meeting Paley before a) I was running out of time b) I knew in the bottom of my heart if I was gonna go through with this Paley is the best in the practice so meeting him considering this situation was less important than making sure I get the date I wanted. After meeting Paley i was happy i booked it
2. I dont know how thats work u have to call and ask Angelique that
3. No, I’m Canadian so I came on “pleasure” (not much pleasure let me tell you)
& 3 months falls within the 6 months allowable time frame I get with my passport

edwardv6

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »

You sir are a proper condescending pr!ck. I am sure you are referring to my post http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9262.msg95583#msg95583

Its laughable how clueless you are. I said I could sell my apartment and salvage like 140k to do surgery with Dr. Paley. I bought this like 5 years ago and its value has increased. I bet you would rather keep the apartment and go to russian, india or some  ty country and get butchered with with permanent knee pain, scars all over the leg.

Money is just money, time is much more valuable. Spending my time as a short person is like not efficiently using your time because I could be so much more if I were taller.
The only thing holding you back is yourself, nobody is stopping you from having fun and enjoying life, you're choosing/deciding to not enjoy life until you get LL.

Being short is inefficient?? How? At what? Don't answer this, I don't need that type of cringe in my life. Most people would not think it's smart to give up a necessity (shelter) for a few inches in height.

TinyTL

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2018, 08:19:57 PM »

The only thing holding you back is yourself, nobody is stopping you from having fun and enjoying life, you're choosing/deciding to not enjoy life until you get LL.

Being short is inefficient?? How? At what? Don't answer this, I don't need that type of cringe in my life. Most people would not think it's smart to give up a necessity (shelter) for a few inches in height.
I will not hijack Evolutions diary.
I feel sorry for you, really you don't understand it.
Maybe when you get older you will.

edwardv6

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »

Obviously I won't understand it because I'm not mentally ill and stupid enough to think the way you do.

MyEvolution

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2018, 02:01:06 AM »

You know, depending on how short you are I can understand where this typa of thinking stems from. Being a short male is simular to being a very overeight girl, in which opposite gender never takes you seriously, or thinks of you as a last resort, or doesnt treat you with the respect deserved. I totally do not want to live my entire life as such anymore hence the surgery
But ya dont sell your house not good

ThatGuy

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2018, 02:49:46 AM »

I'd go a step further, I'd say nobody in their right mind would sell their home to go from 5'8-6'0. If anyone here is considering this please get help you might need to be evaluated.

You know, depending on how short you are I can understand where this typa of thinking stems from. Being a short male is simular to being a very overeight girl, in which opposite gender never takes you seriously, or thinks of you as a last resort, or doesnt treat you with the respect deserved. I totally do not want to live my entire life as such anymore hence the surgery
But ya dont sell your house not good
At least an overweight women can lose the weight, I wish it was so simple to add 4-6+ inches to your stature.

Renaissance

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2018, 08:43:54 PM »

Hey MyEvolution,.

Hope you're ok and you can manage the pain.  Firsts weeks are the worst
Can you do your PT despite the pain ? It's important for recover.

Stay strong

Milko

• Visitor
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2018, 11:57:35 PM »

Try paracetamol + tramadol before you go opoids (tramadol works on opoid receptors but is much less addictive and is safer, although there is still risk of addiction). I tapered down from about 200-300 mgs of sustained release tramadol (max daily dose is 400) to 0 in a couple of weeks with no withdrawal symptoms. Combining with paracetamol is important for maximum analgesic effect (true for all opoids). Paracetamol is called acetaminophen (tylenol) in the states btw...

Ice is also quite an effective painkiller...

MyEvolution

« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2018, 05:35:00 PM »

Hey guys important update about my pain management I thought i'd share with you guys because it seems to be working for now :)

I started taking Tremadol + 1 tylenol pill every 6 hours, at night I take 2 tylenols instead of 1
my pain is now hovering round a 1-2 which is AMAZING!!!! the problem before was i would only take the pain meds "when I need it" but by the time you need it your pain is at a 7 and taking the pain med only brings you down to maybe a 5 which is still irritating.

so last night my pain was at an 7-8 I took a Tremadol at 6pm. around 12 I took my 2nd dose of Tremadol my pain was still really high. at 6am I took my tremadol again and finally my 4th tremadol set my pain is finally down. Do NOT let your pain go up to take your meds, just take them as prescribed keep it low. I need to know this because next year I will be doing tibias for 6-8cm

But thought i'd share to help anyone out there

Pilor

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for the advice regarding pain medications.

How are you doing with lengthening? Are you still walking around?

Thanks and kind regards,
Klaus

Ascending

« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »

Hey sorry for forgetting to address this, I will ask the next chance I get I promise
Hi MyEvolution, did you get a chance to ask this question yet?  I would really appreciate an answer.  Thanks for the diary it is really helpful.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Up