Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diet during your lengthening phase - we are what we eat!  (Read 1515 times)

taller_in_Kiev

• Put your energy to good uses. Don't waste it.
Diet during your lengthening phase - we are what we eat!
« on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »

Let's face it, WE ARE WHAT WE EAT!

So just a quick post about maintaining a good diet during your lengthening phase. Remember lengthening is NOT just about the surgery. The four phases as I've previously mentioned are: Preparation, Surgery, Lengthening and Strengthening.  I talked about the first phase here:

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9122.0

I am sure most of you maintain a good diet, but you'd be surprised at some people's eating habits these days, which to them is 'normal'.  If you're going to invest all this time and money to enhance your life, at least give your body the proper nutrients.  Downing chips, chocolate and cola all day will not do you any favours and is a sure recipe for bone non-formation/malformation.

Understand the difference between food and 'food like products'. There are a many good documentaries about food out there. My favourites are Food Inc and Foodmatters. There are others:

https://dailyburn.com/life/health/food-documentaries-change-food-industry/

Another point I want to touch on is raw cow's milk and it's benefits. Pasteurisation kills many of the good stuff in milk. You can research the benefits of raw milk yourself.  There are many articles and videos online.  Here's one:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/05/10-things-you-should-know_n_211715.html

Raw milk is not freely available to buy in most western countries,thanks to cretinous organisations like the FDA and their equivalent.  In the UK, for instance, it cannot be sold in shops, but can be delivered to your home by an approved dairy. Here in Kiev, I have found some in one of the bigger supermarket chains.

Nature provides for man, the less man tampers with that process, the better for him.

During your lengthening phase, aim to eat every 2-3 hours. Smaller, more frequent portions are better. Even get up at night to have a snack.  My routine was a couple of bananas and a yogurt drink half way through the night.  You're not going to have the best of sleep during this phase, so might as well get up and eat! A whey protein shake is always good in between meals. So make sure you pack your favourite powder from home if you're used to it.

To get your appetites going, these are the types of food you should be eating and not just during your LL phase! You can take supplements (calcium tablets etc) to enhance your diet, but they should definitely not replace your diet. 

InFullStryde

Re: Diet during your lengthening phase - we are what we eat!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

First - THANK YOU.  This is some great Diet information and I have taken notes!

Question and I would love your suggestion on this topic- I would REALLY like to continue to work out my upper body during this procedure.  The diet will not be an issue and neither will access to accommodating fitness equipment (I have all this covered for me).    I fully understand that some time off will be taken immediately after surgery, however, once I settle into a routine, it would be ideal for me to work out my upper body a few times a week to maintain my muscular upper half.  Would love your thoughts.  Thank you,

-W
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 04:34:41 PM »

Hi TheW
Yes of course upper body exercises are vital during LL for several reasons. It is recommended to go to gym if you happen to have one nearby.
Aside from keeping your upper body strong, during your lengthening phase your time will mostly be consumed by eating, resting, leg exercises, stretching, physio, hot baths and massages. It is important to keep the leg muscles in a relaxed and flexible state as much as possible.

InFullStryde

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Hi TheW
Yes, of course, upper body exercises are vital during LL for several reasons. It is recommended to go to gym if you happen to have one nearby.
Aside from keeping your upper body strong, during your lengthening phase your time will mostly be consumed by eating, resting, leg exercises, stretching, physio, hot baths and massages. It is important to keep the leg muscles in a relaxed and flexible state as much as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

MirinHeight

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »

great topic bro!

also to add onto this, in addition to the food, these are the supplements i would recommend for better bone consolidation.
Also remember to eat at a calorie surplus

1. Bovine Colostrum: Bovine colostrum is milk that comes out of the breast of cows a few days after giving birth. This is the natural form of IGF-1. Human growth hormone is a precursor to IGF-1 which signals the target tissues like bone and muscle for growth. And it also has many growth factors and all essential amino acids, minerals, and enzymes. IGF-1 is proven to help grow new bone fast and is also key in anti-aging and preserving muscle mass. Has many health benefits including making your immune system much much stronger. Find the many studies on this supplement online.

2. Vitamin D3 and calcium: self explanatory

3. Vitamin k2: takes calcium from arteries and uses it to increase the density of bone.

4. NAC: N-acetyl cysteine as an osteogenesis-enhancing molecule for bone regeneration and also increases bone mass. Look up the many studies online. Also is the main precursor to glutathione, which is the #1 antioxidant in our body to prevent oxidative stress

5.Glucosamine and Chrondroitin: has been proven to be effective against osteoarthritis and is also good for bones and cartilage. Has proven to form new tibial bone in rats as well.

6. Bone Broth Protein: helps improve bone density
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 08:23:50 PM »

@Mirinheight - thanks and agreed.  Good list of supplements.

You're not serious about doing CLL at 179cm, are you??

paj

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »

Nature provides for man, the less man tampers with that process, the better for him.

This is an incredible irony considering the nature of this forum.

Also, raw milk is prohibited in most of the world because it has a tendency to cause serious infections and death.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Raw_milk_movement

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »

Haha, your first statement is funny. Touché. I meant more in the sense of what we eat rather than attempting to better ourselves physically)

Your second statement is utter nonsense and mere propaganda. I drink raw milk whenever I can and so do lots of others I know, and we're doing ok thanks. As long as the dairy has good hygiene standards, there's nothing to worry about. Besides, are you really going by wiki as your source??!

Valiant

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »

Your second statement is utter nonsense and mere propaganda. I drink raw milk whenever I can and so do lots of others I know, and we're doing ok thanks. As long as the dairy has good hygiene standards, there's nothing to worry about. Besides, are you really going by wiki as your source??!

x2

I can also attest to this myself. I noted many health benefits from drinking raw milk, especially helping with my IBS.
Raw milk also makes the best and tastiest yoghurt filled with beneficial bacteria that are not available  in pro-biotic supplements.

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »

Absolutely Valiant. It's what our forefathers drank, real men, not the effeminised men of late)
Raw milk is a whole food, contains all the amino acids and you could live on it alone!  You might turn into a calf though))

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »

I would say that if I had access to raw milk during my growing years, I might have been a natural 6 footer. Unfortunately, I grew up somewhere (father was an expat in middle east) where we only had that horrible UHT stuff, which isn't even milk!   

Valiant

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 07:31:36 AM »

I would say that if I had access to raw milk during my growing years, I might have been a natural 6 footer. Unfortunately, I grew up somewhere (father was an expat in middle east) where we only had that horrible UHT stuff, which isn't even milk!

I have always been underweight. I blame the typical and highly processed western diet,
overloaded with sugar,  salt and fat which I never liked so I ended up always eating less. Fresh produce available was also very bland and tasteless. You cut open a tomato and it didn't smell like a tomato. I also developed IBS(I think the food here was to blame) which further depressed my appetite. 

I got extended family from Eastern Europe and the first time I visited them and tried the food available over there,  like tomatoes,  milk, potatoes I realised before this day I never knew what real food tasted like. Fresh produce was full of flavour. You cut open a tomato and you could smell the aroma. My IBS was cured and as the food was so flavoursome my appetite increased and I finally started to gain weight. I wonder if I had a food available like this from the start I would of been much taller.  When back home my weight starts to drop again because of the food. I tried at least getting raw milk here, but unfortunately it's nanny state laws here making it illegal for it to be sold or given away.

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Ah Valiant, you and I it seems are reading from the same page)

There is simply no comparison between the fresh produce here/East Europe and back home (UK). Of course, we have organic options there too but they come at a premium and it's still not as nice! The produce companies get away with the minimum required to label something organic, but here it's all locally and organically grown in some of the best soil in the world, under a red hot sun. 
They eat seasonal fruit and veg here, as opposed to having everything air-freighted half way around the world. This is what I love about this place, you have all these fresh fruit and veg stalls everywhere, Baboushki (old women/grannies) selling produce, eggs, cheese etc from their little plots/allotments. I try to buy from them whenever possible rather than the big supermarkets (not that the produce at the big supermarkets is of lesser quality), but just to help them out.  Like just now, I stepped off the underground and there was a young man/street vendor selling among other produce, sweetcorn. It looked far too fresh to pass on). These were probably picked off the field this morning, and all for just one British Pound! (click thumbnail for larger image)

taller_in_Kiev

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »

"Nature provides for man, the less man tampers with that process, the better for him."

This is an incredible irony considering the nature of this forum.

Actually, it's not. I would argue that if we didn't tamper with our food, most of us wouldn't find ourselves on this forum.
Follow this one golden rule and you'll do ok: Eat what is natural in natural quantities.

Sadly, the average person's diet nowadays is anything but natural.
Pages: [1]   Go Up