Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Stryde Diary 2018 - with Dr. Paley  (Read 27174 times)

Dreamer57

Re: New Stryde Diary 2018 - with Dr. Paley
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2021, 09:29:49 PM »

Hey man....pls update...
We are missing you

How's life...how's are holding up in these covid times...

How r your physical activities....

Looking forward to here from you

Hope you are great

Best luck

Vibes

« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2021, 01:22:30 AM »

Hey man....pls update...
We are missing you

How's life...how's are holding up in these covid times...

How r your physical activities....

Looking forward to here from you

Hope you are great

Best luck

Agreed, it would be awesome to get any sort of update from you OP! But I know you're out there enjoying your new height to the fullest I'm sure  8)

superusercj1

« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2021, 10:21:46 PM »

Hey everyone,

Coming on here to update.

I am now literally 5 hours post bilateral tibia and femur removal.  Before I get into that, I want to reflect a bit.

I started my LL journey 2 years ago starting with my femurs and then followed by tibias a year later.

The entire experience was more than just gaining height, it’s one of personal growth and maturity.  I feel strongly that I’m a different person mentally before and after the surgery - not
to mention the lifelong friends I made.  I no longer think about my height and my confidence level is through the roof.  Small things that used to bother or annoy me no longer does. My mind is at complete peace.  Before this LL journey, I remember at social gatherings, the day of the gathering would ultimately end that night about me thinking how short I was and how much it sucked.

Before the removal procedure today, from a walking and “normalized gait” wise perspective, my right leg was easily at 100% but my left leg was about 90%.  On the left side I felt tight in my gluteals which contributed to a slight limp when I over used it.  Right leg on the other hand felt completely normal.

I’m hoping that the left leg soreness is due to a screw from the rod sticking out and rubbing on the muscle, only time will tell. Regardless if it’s not, I know I’ll have to stretch my left leg a lot for it to catch up.

Now back to the removal.  I decided to finally schedule the removal for many reasons including free time in my schedule, the curiosity of whether or not rod removal would take away my left gluteal soreness, the thought of metal leaking into my blood, and last, how annoying it would be to enter through airport security and have it go off.  It made traveling with people who didn’t know I had this procedure look at me funny whenever they scanned my legs and it went off.

I had my pre op consult on 3/5/2021 and indeed it was found on X-ray that I had the bone thickening/corrosion of the rod issue that’s been a hot topic for the Stryde nail that ultimately led to its recall.  I was ensured by Dr. Robbins that this had no long term consequences but they’re pulling it because they don’t know what’s causing the bone to react this way. 

For me, I’m just super happy to finally get it out given that I’m a bit OCD when it comes to my health.

The removal process itself was as follow.

The night before mood wise was 70% excited that it’s finally going to be all over and 30% nervous because of the thought of going under surgery again.

Checked in at 6am, signed a bunch of paperwork, and the receptionist confirmed that I had someone taking care of me afterwards.  Mood wise now 95% relaxed and 5% nervous, likely because it’s finally hitting me and me remember that this procedure is a lot less invasive, and a same day procedure in that I am literally going to walk out of the center without any aid.

7:30am I’m in pre op now, all shaved and changed into a gown.  They said I’d be in about 30 more minutes so she gave me a little bit of versed to get me relaxed.  Boy does this medication hit fast and it’s amazing. Wished I could get more. I think I got 0.5mg

7:45 - looks like it’s show time for me and the nurse came back and hit me with the rest of 1.5mg. I’m on cloud 9 :)

5:00pm - back at hotel. So happy it’s all over!!! I woke up around 1-2pm.  The pain is no joke. My tibia pain is fine but my femurs / hip incision sites is super painful. I needed crutches to actually leave and have them with me. I don’t know how others did this without crutches the first day. I’ve been in bed since getting back to hotel.  It’s really sore type of pain more than anything else. I think it’ll be 2-3 days before I feel comfortable being alone. Definitely have someone be there to help you!!  Call me dramatic but I asked for a urinal bottle so I don’t have to get up to go to the bathroom 😅 anyways so happy the journey is coming to an end ready to start my next chapter or heavily working out, getting scars removed, and getting in the best shape of my life.

More updates soon as I recover.

I want to also take a moment to thank this forum. Couldn’t have known about this procedure without this forum or even considered doing it without others diaries. I hope my diary will help someone else in a similar situation. And also, one recommendation, I had a really Positive experience with Dr. Paley and Robbins and team. If you can afford it, pay the premium to be safe.  Even during the removal process they told me about all the issues that they encountered unique to stryde and that they aren’t concerned if it did occur.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 11:10:09 PM by superusercj1 »

superusercj1

« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2021, 10:23:28 PM »

Pls ignore all typos doing this in my iPhone + on meds. Too lazy to fix :p

Dreamer57

« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2021, 11:53:38 PM »

Hey man, missed your updates! So finally the nails are out! This calls for beginning of a new chapter in your life! Congratulations!!!

A few questions...

Before the nail removal... How would your rate your gait...

Was it normal enough that if we cross paths I wouldn't recognise that's something's odd with u?

How was your atheltic performance? Were you running like before? If not, how would you describe your run?

BelowTheMean

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2021, 12:00:21 AM »

Welcome back and congrats on getting your nails out! I guess both you and MyEvo did this while I was taking a break from the forum so I missed your journals entirely. It must have been cool to have a buddy to lengthen with though :D
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

superusercj1

« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

Hey man, missed your updates! So finally the nails are out! This calls for beginning of a new chapter in your life! Congratulations!!!

A few questions...

Before the nail removal... How would your rate your gait...

* right leg - 10/10 always , was perfect
* left leg - 8/10. Would be 10/10 at times but usually 8/10 when a tight/soreness kicked in. The discomfort would be located at the upper portion of my gluteals. Dr. Robbins thinks it’s due to tightness still - to be clear ive stretched zero ;)

Was it normal enough that if we cross paths I wouldn't recognise that's something's odd with u?
No, you could see me limp slightly

How was your atheltic performance? Were you running like before? If not, how would you describe your run?

I started to run more over the last couple months, when I started I ran funny and would
Put my abilities at 40% where it was before. After 2 months of running it was closer to 80%.

All in all, I think I Would be completely different if I stretched and exercised. Which I now plan to do, now that the rods are fully out

superusercj1

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2021, 06:25:26 PM »

Welcome back and congrats on getting your nails out! I guess both you and MyEvo did this while I was taking a break from the forum so I missed your journals entirely. It must have been cool to have a buddy to lengthen with though :D

Yeah man, honestly I was pretty happy after femur and wasn’t going to get tibias done. But myevolution doing it convinced me to do it - one of those it’s now or never because that support system is huge for this process and also made the journey that much more fun - from late night video games to waking up in same room with excruciating pain lol

superusercj1

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2021, 06:31:50 PM »

Ok POD 1 update:

Pain is located mainly in my knee and upper hips on both sides.  Today the pain is more maneagable.  Yesterday it was 9/10 and today it’s 5/10.  Today I was also able to work slowly with crutches which is huge over yesterday.

I’m hopeful that this trend continues, if so, I’ll be walking fairly well by Friday.

Word of advice, definitely take off at least a week for this.  Not sure how others recovered so fast but the first 2 days has been pretty tough!

Having said this, super super excited that rods are out. The excitement is continuing to kick in that this journey is finally over.

Serilium

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2021, 07:13:32 PM »

Hey superusercj1!
Long time lurker, remember reading your diary a year ago along with MyEvo's. Just wanted to register and tell you thanks and that I am so glad that you are doing good.
Your new life has started. Happy the nails are out!

Cheers. I am going to go to Paley's next year and do the exact same thing you are doing, femurs and tibias.

superusercj1

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2021, 07:57:58 PM »

Hey superusercj1!
Long time lurker, remember reading your diary a year ago along with MyEvo's. Just wanted to register and tell you thanks and that I am so glad that you are doing good.
Your new life has started. Happy the nails are out!

Cheers. I am going to go to Paley's next year and do the exact same thing you are doing, femurs and tibias.

Awesome!

My recommendations would be:

1) do tibias first
2) then 1 year later do femurs AND remove tibias at same time

I think above will give you maximal chance of getting most cm

Reason for tibia first is because tibia’s a lot more harder to lengthen but for me it was also first to recover real fast (compared to femur)

So by doing tibia first you won’t have tightness from the femur holding you back, and once you reach your target for tibia, your tightness will loosen up real fast since it’s your calf muscle that you naturally stretch with walking.  This makes it so that when you do your femurs that previously lengthening your tibia won’t hold you back as much as the other way around.

Good luck !!

superusercj1

« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2021, 01:14:27 PM »

Ok POD 3:

Feeling incredibly better. Pain down to 4/10.

I can now ambulated without aid but there’s definitely hip sway.  Still
prefer to use crutches to get around a little faster.  I suspect that by Saturday I’ll feel
comfortable ambulatory without aid all together.

Otherwise have experience zero complications, keeping my wound moist with aquaphore everyday and cleaning it.

Super happy, the journey is coming to an end. Can’t wait to start some intense gym training.  Will continue to keep everyone posted.

TheAlchemist

« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »

So glad to see you getting close to finishing your journey man, big congrats to you! I remember reading both your diary and myevo's diary back in 2018 and for the first time thinking "wow this is real, this is actually possible" and now here I am 2.5 years later having done it myself with my life completley transformed for the better. Amazing meeting you in WPB too! Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us - I probably wouldn't have had the courage to have done this without these early Stryde diaries - you've changed lives!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

Movie

« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2021, 08:22:31 PM »

Congrats CJ! will stay posted for your next updates, please do update! thanks bossman
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

superusercj1

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2021, 03:51:44 PM »

So glad to see you getting close to finishing your journey man, big congrats to you! I remember reading both your diary and myevo's diary back in 2018 and for the first time thinking "wow this is real, this is actually possible" and now here I am 2.5 years later having done it myself with my life completley transformed for the better. Amazing meeting you in WPB too! Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us - I probably wouldn't have had the courage to have done this without these early Stryde diaries - you've changed lives!

Yo man! Haha yeah, good times at the Homewood suites. Was awesome meeting you and making the journey that much more fun.

Hope you’re recovering well !

superusercj1

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2021, 03:53:19 PM »

Congrats CJ! will stay posted for your next updates, please do update! thanks bossman

Thanks Movie! Read all of your blog and it has been awesome learning about your experience.

What a long, painful, but rewarding journey

superusercj1

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2021, 03:58:22 PM »

Post Op Day (POD): 6

Can walk much much better. The lateral sway is a lot less but still present. Pain level is about 3/10.  The aquaphore I’m using for my wounds seems to be giving me a rash so going to switch over to vaseline today.

Pain located in area of both ankles where the 3 screws were at, at the knee where the tibia insertion point was, and at both lateral thigh/hips where the femoral insertion point was.

Everyday feels so much better and more stoked that this is finally over. Hopefully I can get back to the gym and doing light workouts starting this week.

Oh btw, the left gluteal pain is completely gone. But still too early to tell since I’m still tight and this other pain and what’s going on may be masking it, but so far so good!

superusercj1

« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2021, 01:47:03 AM »

Hey guys!

So today Saturday will be post op day 12.

I’m feeling at 90%, literally exponentially improving.  I think I’m going to be back to walking normally by next weekend for sure.

All pain in my gluteals that was bothering me before the removal has not returned as well. Super happy.

For those about to get rod removal, here’s the recap:

Days 0-2 -> brutal. Felt like the first surgery. Can barely move legs, will need aide to help you.
Days 2-4 -> you can now walk with crutches, but still pain
Days 5-7 -> you can now ditch the crutches/can, can walk but not fast
Day 7 and on -> exponential increase in strength heading back to normal, everyday you’re so much better

Good luck everyone on this journey!  I am going to try my best to check back in every now and then but for me, this is officially the end of my journey. 🙏🏼👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

FormerKidd

« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2021, 04:27:46 AM »

Hey guys!

So today Saturday will be post op day 12.

I’m feeling at 90%, literally exponentially improving.  I think I’m going to be back to walking normally by next weekend for sure.

All pain in my gluteals that was bothering me before the removal has not returned as well. Super happy.

For those about to get rod removal, here’s the recap:

Days 0-2 -> brutal. Felt like the first surgery. Can barely move legs, will need aide to help you.
Days 2-4 -> you can now walk with crutches, but still pain
Days 5-7 -> you can now ditch the crutches/can, can walk but not fast
Day 7 and on -> exponential increase in strength heading back to normal, everyday you’re so much better

Good luck everyone on this journey!  I am going to try my best to check back in every now and then but for me, this is officially the end of my journey. 🙏🏼👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

This is interesting.  Thanks for the update -- I need to get my rods removed, too.  Any advice for those planning a removal?

(Did they give you a new set of gear, btw?  I don't know if I still have my crutches.)

Dreamer57

« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:09 PM »

man.....you are literally living my dream....!!!
Congratulations man!!! I wish you all the best for recovery....hope you start getting atheltic af soon...

Did you do femurs only? Or tibias too?

itseasy

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

...bump

Serilium

« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2021, 05:53:39 PM »

congrats cj

Dreamer57

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2021, 09:25:36 PM »