Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is LL easier for women and children?  (Read 849 times)

berezoni

Is LL easier for women and children?
« on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »

Hi,I am a mother of 12-year-old girl. She is 4'7 . Her growth plates are closed due to early puberty. The amount of guilt and shock I feel is almost unbearable.Please share any info that you know if it is easier for kids and women? We are thinking about Stryde /femur surgery .I don't want her to be a little person.I hope for her to be at least 4'10.

permanentlybanned

Re: Is LL easier for women and children?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 08:04:03 PM »

For children it will be ALOT easier than as an adult. Your daughter is young but definitely doctors have done this surgery as soon as growth plate is done. And even before 18. Children have fantastic bone growth and tissue growth- though it still will be a difficult journey. It is easier in the sense that there is low chance of non union of bone and tissue will stretch easier, but the initial surgical pain will still be there and will still be a tough painful journey

In summary, yes it's easier for kids, still a hard surgery but very worth it.

Not to be rude, but she is a normal human correct? Not acondroplasia (dwarfism) correct?
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

6CMFemurs

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:29:32 PM »

Hi,I am a mother of 12-year-old girl. She is 4'7 . Her growth plates are closed due to early puberty. The amount of guilt and shock I feel is almost unbearable.Please share any info that you know if it is easier for kids and women? We are thinking about Stryde /femur surgery .I don't want her to be a little person.I hope for her to be at least 4'10.

First of all, you have nothing to feel guilty about. I can tell you really love your daughter and want the best for her. It is touching that you want to help her. I had something similar happen to me and I was equally shocked and upset. Luckily when I hit precocious puberty, I had already reached the bottom range of normal stature, although far below the 1st percentile of my MPH and personal growth trajectory. I really wish I had had the resources and parental support to do this when I was 13, but the technology was not nearly as advanced 15-20 years ago.

To answer your question, when I had my surgery done in 2014, there was a young man also being lengthened who was probably 13 or 14. He had some genetic abnormality that stunted the growth in his legs and also caused early puberty. He seemed to be in a lot of pain. I am not sure he was very motivated to go through the operation, his Mom seemed to be pushing him to do it. I think he probably got through it all right. I remember his Mom having me give him a pep talk about how he will one day be so glad he did this. He was a really nice kid and a pretty good-looking guy, but I guess his parents were afraid that if he never grew past 5"1 or 5"2 (whatever his natural height was), he would never be able to date or get married.

TallerVL

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »

Hey! First of all I wanna tell you, you are a wonderful mother! Some parents won’t even do the research about this surgery for their children, because it’s a lot of money and they thought height is not really that big of deal. :(

May I ask what’s your daughter’s weight? If she’s under 45kg, Precice 2 is a good option! I have a girlfriend (156cm, 45kg) just had her surgery done with Precice 2 on femurs. She originally wanted to do Stryde too, but after discussing method options with the doctor, she chose Precice 2 (Size 10.7). According to Nuvasive Precice 2 is not weight bearing due to its material. But the doctor said, based on his experience, Precice 2 actually can bear the weight of a skinny girl. And he is right. My girlfriend were walking with walker on the third day of surgery. She has now lengthened over 1cm, and she does PT standing and walking (with walker) everyday. Her X ray shows that she is completely fine.

No need to say, Precice 2 is way cheaper too :) With the price difference, if she’s willing to, she could even have her tibias done. Femurs 7cm + tibias 5cm is safe.

It’s my opinion. Hope it helps :)

berezoni

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 09:09:19 PM »

yes,she is normal human,who was supposed to be 5'0 -5'2.But early puberty suppressed her growth.I had no idea. I skipped her wellness check last year out of fear for COVID.I am not sure if I will ever will be able to forgive myself.

berezoni

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »

Hey! First of all I wanna tell you, you are a wonderful mother! Some parents won’t even do the research about this surgery for their children, because it’s a lot of money and they thought height is not really that big of deal. :(

May I ask what’s your daughter’s weight? If she’s under 45kg, Precice 2 is a good option! I have a girlfriend (156cm, 45kg) just had her surgery done with Precice 2 on femurs. She originally wanted to do Stryde too, but after discussing method options with the doctor, she chose Precice 2 (Size 10.7). According to Nuvasive Precice 2 is not weight bearing due to its material. But the doctor said, based on his experience, Precice 2 actually can bear the weight of a skinny girl. And he is right. My girlfriend were walking with walker on the third day of surgery. She has now lengthened over 1cm, and she does PT standing and walking (with walker) everyday. Her X ray shows that she is completely fine.

No need to say, Precice 2 is way cheaper too :) With the price difference, if she’s willing to, she could even have her tibias done. Femurs 7cm + tibias 5cm is safe.

It’s my opinion. Hope it helps :)

She is 100 pounds !Thank you so much for your kind words and the information about your GF.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:17:41 PM »

yes,she is normal human,who was supposed to be 5'0 -5'2.But early puberty suppressed her growth.I had no idea. I skipped her wellness check last year out of fear for COVID.I am not sure if I will ever will be able to forgive myself.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It's nature and what happened happened. Best you can do now is listen to her and Truly love her. I know my parents dismissed my concerns as a kid involving my short stature and eventually I ended up being 3rd percentile as an adult male and the only thing I wished was that they listened to me more and genuinely heard me. Them not early intervening with medical practicing wasn't even as hurtful as the fact that they did not realize my struggle. Many sessions of crying after the x-ray showed closed growth plates between me and my parents and we all wished we were more supportive, not even the height mattered just the lack of listening to kids struggle. Just sympathy and open ears
Permanently banned by Medium Drink of Water due to non-maliciously spamming one singular time.

Tartar

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 11:29:18 PM »

There's not a real reason to don't forgive yourself since it could not happens something different in few months. Nothing could be done. Sometimes people end up short, nothing else. Genes and nature is weird.
Anyway since she is so small you can't be sure she can fit the smallest stryde nail. That's for sure the best choice, there is not a so big difference about the price compared to precice considering all the benefits it gives. If she can't precice 2 should be fine since it has smaller sizes too. I have to say that 45kg is not so light being just 140cm and 12yrs old, but it's fine to do the procedure. She is young and she has time to do this surgery.

Mary

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:03:06 AM »

I can understand you very well. A few days ago I learned that my 14 year old daughter will stay 146 cm forever. I went to doctor pili in Rome and we are thinking about stryde on the femurs for at least 5/6 cm.
I'm scared

berezoni

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »

I can understand you very well. A few days ago I learned that my 14 year old daughter will stay 146 cm forever. I went to doctor pili in Rome and we are thinking about stryde on the femurs for at least 5/6 cm.
I'm scared
Hi Mary ,
I am scared also ,how does your daughter feel about the surgery?

Jcorleone

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 12:08:03 AM »

I suggest you get a personalized consultation for this. In your case, Dr.Kevin Debiparshad of LimbplastX Institute will probably be the best opt.
Former forumist, Orthopedic equipment supplier to Europe and US.

berezoni

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:53:01 AM »

I suggest you get a personalized consultation for this. In your case, Dr.Kevin Debiparshad of LimbplastX Institute will probably be the best opt.

We are going to talk to Dr Debiparshad this coming Thursday.My concern is that he mostly operates on adult patients.

permanentlybanned

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 03:27:17 AM »

Kids cannot use Precice nails (includes stryde, which is gone) anymore after the recall. Your daughter will not be able to do LL, probably for a long time, as they have willingly retracted their Precice nails with one of the reasons being lack of testing in children and safety testing

tldr; you have to be 18 to do precice 2.2. and stryde is officially recalled by them so no stryde is availible for anyone as of right now.

berezoni

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »

Kids cannot use Precice nails (includes stryde, which is gone) anymore after the recall. Your daughter will not be able to do LL, probably for a long time, as they have willingly retracted their Precice nails with one of the reasons being lack of testing in children and safety testing

tldr; you have to be 18 to do precice 2.2. and stryde is officially recalled by them so no stryde is availible for anyone as of right now.
Interesting,we did talk to regional sales manager for Precice.He told us that stryde most likely will be available by July of 2021.

Stryde2021

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »

There’s a lot of mis-info on this board.  You really ought to talk to someone at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, International Limb Lengthening Clinic.   They operate on kids regularly.

V21

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 12:46:17 PM »

Interesting,we did talk to regional sales manager for Precice.He told us that stryde most likely will be available by July of 2021.
It's a weird situation. Some are saying July, but other doctors are saying that it will not be available until next year

permanentlybanned

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 01:38:30 PM »

sdofaoidasfhoadjfkhdlfakjdfaldfsjoifhdfiahdfldfs

Mary

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2021, 06:15:40 AM »

She is scared  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up