Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019  (Read 50464 times)

Great321

Re: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019
« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »

Dr. Giotikas said that until the nerve pain improves I can take Lyrica 75mg to ease the pain.

Yesterday evening I noticed that a small part right to my right knee is numb. Before the surgery I was told that there is a possibility that numbness can occur. It's a strange feeling, not pleasant at all. It makes itself noticable when I walk or sit too long.

When will you take new xrays, to see if there is improvement in your callus?

I have to send X-rays to Dr. G at a 6 week time  duration. I will ask again if that means 6 weeks from now or from the time of the surgery

Great321

« Reply #249 on: October 05, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »

New Video

This is me walking unaided: (I hold the crutches for safety reasons)

https://i.imgur.com/uLSMEUl.mp4

As Dr. Giotikas advised me to walk with crutches, I use them for moving around the house. After about 7 minutes certain feet muscles hurt/are tired so I have to rest again. I guess that's because my leg muscles aren't trained much yet. I'm sure it'll get better.

I took this picture maybe a day after the surgery:

https://i.imgur.com/y9q4m1H.jpg

This is how my bed looks like and the reason why I sleep well:

https://i.imgur.com/3XgC3k9.jpg

If needed I use this kind of pillow to rest my knee on:

https://i.imgur.com/3X7ocNe.jpg

Also:
I rarely take painkillers. I might take some before PT which starts next week. I only got 2 appointments for the start. They first want to see me.

limewalk

« Reply #250 on: October 05, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »

Great video Great321. What is your ethnicity if it's allowed to ask?

Great321

« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »

Great video Great321. What is your ethnicity if it's allowed to ask?

Thanks! I was born in Central/South Asia.

Great321

« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2019, 08:47:38 AM »

My nerve pain in my left foot is gone. It was already getting less before I took the first Lyrica pill yesterday morning.

The only problem left so far:  certain muscle pains in my feet when I walk for a "longer" time

Great321

« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »

I walked for about 21 minutes with the crutches right now. I'm planning to walk as much as possible with an hour rest inbetween.

Great321

« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »

My nerve pain is not gone. It feels quite painful in the morning or after a long rest and  it feels like permanent but as soon as I push myself and walk through the pain it disappears for a long time (until night).

Today I was playing a board game, I was sitting at the table for several hours, sometimes I stood up but still both of my knees are now hurting. I assume that by tomorrow it'll be fine again.

I had my first PT session on tuesday. The young womand talked most of the time and asked me questions, examined my legs a bit, told me to push my knees against the surface on which I lie on (the bed for example). She said I can buy myself a fasciae ball and roll my foot on top of it, forward and backward.

Let's see how the next session will be. I will also ask to have sessions with another person (who might be more experienced).

Great321

« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »

woke up, knee pain is gone again

almost no nerve pain on the surface of my left foot

I know for sure that it's coming from the stitches above the ankle because my PT accidentally touched it and the pain I usually feel was the exact same

Great321

« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »

I got only three appointments per week as thre PT said that the muscles need rest while my former PT said that that's not necessary in my case and that I have to do as much as possible everyday. The former PT had 10 years of experience in PT while my new one looks quite young. Next week I will get to know two other PTs, one of them is the boss.
Let's see what they say and do.

Now I don't use the wheelchair anymore to get out of the house. I use the front stairs of the house which has only a railing on one side. But depending on how high the steps are I need one or two railings.

Getting out and into the car is very easy now.
With the frames on getting out of the house was always an obstacle.

Nevertheless I sometimes still have muscle pain in my left foot while walking which means that I can't walk much more than 21-30 minutes before I need a rest.

CodyTheDog

« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »

I got only three appointments per week as thre PT said that the muscles need rest while my former PT said that that's not necessary in my case and that I have to do as much as possible everyday. The former PT had 10 years of experience in PT while my new one looks quite young. Next week I will get to know two other PTs, one of them is the boss.
Let's see what they say and do.

Now I don't use the wheelchair anymore to get out of the house. I use the front stairs of the house which has only a railing on one side. But depending on how high the steps are I need one or two railings.

Getting out and into the car is very easy now.
With the frames on getting out of the house was always an obstacle.

Nevertheless I sometimes still have muscle pain in my left foot while walking which means that I can't walk much more than 21-30 minutes before I need a rest.

Hey, thanks for making this diary, Great!

1. With Dr. Giotikas's new prices, how much would you budget for the entire thing (including accomodation, etc) for internal femurs 8 cm with Stryde?

1.5. How much would you budget in total for everything (including apartment,etc) if you were doing 7 cm internal tibias with Stryde?

2. How is the English of
a. the doctor
b. the hospital staff
c. your caretaker?

3. What are the most unexpected costs / problems you've bumped into from this experience?

4. Did he require a psychological evaluation? How did that go?

5. What apartment/place to stay would you recommend?

6. Do you feel safe in Athens?

Thanks!

CodyTheDog

« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »

New Video

As Dr. Giotikas advised me to walk with crutches, I use them for moving around the house. After about 7 minutes certain feet muscles hurt/are tired so I have to rest again. I guess that's because my leg muscles aren't trained much yet. I'm sure it'll get better.

Also:
I rarely take painkillers. I might take some before PT which starts next week. I only got 2 appointments for the start. They first want to see me.

6. Also, will he do internal tibias with stryde?

7. What are his length limits for each segment?

Great321

« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2019, 08:25:44 AM »

Since last week I can get out of the house completely on my own and drive the car . I use the crutches. But I can walk stairs without crutches as long as there is at least one railing. I stopped taking Lyrica a while ago. I stopped taking pain killers a while ago as well. My muscle pain especially in my left leg is mostly gone when I use "Birkenstock" sandals. But I want to switch to shoes which I can't currently as other flat sandals or shoes cause the pain again.

Because the first orthopedist didn't want to prescribe me any insoles for my shoes (she wasn't even examining me, she didn't take me seriously), I went to my family doctor again and he saw that I have something called "splayfoot" and I had that even before LL, he told me that that can cause pain. So soon I will go to another orthopedist who will most likely prescribe me what the family doctor recommended.

I have 3 PT sesssions per week. I asked for more sessions but they said that 1. we shouldn't exaggerate and 2. that they show me the exercises which I can then do on my own as well. While the PT sessions in Athens lasted like an hour, they only last 20 short minutes here in Germany. Without the frames on many more exercises are possible so I have gotten 12 examples of what to do so far. For the calves, thighs, gluteus muscle, hip, abs.

PT examples:

This is what my PT wrote and draw. It's an example for one day. On other days I'm supposed to train other muscles.

--> https://i.imgur.com/3kXj3Gl.jpg
--> https://i.imgur.com/RUgBx6N.jpg

calves: You stand. You go up on your toes. You go down again. Up again.. 15 repetitions. 3 sets. You can do it on books, so that the Achilles Tendons are getting stretched, too.

thighs:
1. You stand in front of a chair or similar and hold your hands on the grips of the crutches or sth else, upper body is leaned forward while going slowly down into the sitting position. Then you stand up again. If you are a stronger you go down but don't sit, just remain above the seat for 1-2 seconds. 

The ball he draw is an exercise ball. On the first drawing it shows that you have to push the ball with your heel until your leg is fully stretched, you slowly go back again and stretch your leg again. On the second drawing you push your forward section of the foot against the ball as much as possible and back again. It's an exercise for the calves. The exercise ball can be replaced with a Thera-Band which ends you hold with your hands.

Next time I see him I will ask for another draft for the other exercises.

@CodyTheDog: I will reply soon (today)!

Great321

« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »

Hey, thanks for making this diary, Great!

1. With Dr. Giotikas's new prices, how much would you budget for the entire thing (including accomodation, etc) for internal femurs 8 cm with Stryde?

1.5. How much would you budget in total for everything (including apartment,etc) if you were doing 7 cm internal tibias with Stryde?

2. How is the English of
a. the doctor
b. the hospital staff
c. your caretaker?

3. What are the most unexpected costs / problems you've bumped into from this experience?

4. Did he require a psychological evaluation? How did that go?

5. What apartment/place to stay would you recommend?

6. Do you feel safe in Athens?

7. Also, will he do internal tibias with stryde?

8. What are his length limits for each segment?

Thanks!

1.   I can’t really tell you because my experience is different from many of you since I was accompanied by family members who bought groceries and cooked for me. I didn’t need an extra caretaker. I didn’t have to order food… Regarding accommodation… for me it was about 2.000€ for 2,5months. (two bedrooms, location very close to the sea in the nice neighborhood of Alimos) The wheelchair friendly transportation (organized by Dr. Giotikas) from your apartment to the PT Center (Theseus) or to the hospital and back will cost you but as you are doing Stryde you might be able to change to a normal taxi sometime later which will be cheaper. We shouldn’t be sure of us being the exceptions where nothing will go wrong, so I would safe some more money (6.000-10.000€) in case of extra surgeries needed for corrections. (which can happen to any patient no matter which doctor, that means you either do the correction with another doctor or fly back to wherever you did the surgery which means flight+apartment costs for another 1-2weeks )

1.5. The price doesn’t change with 1cm more or less. You pay one price and you can lengthen your personal maximum.

2.   Dr. Giotikas lives in the UK mostly, so his English is perfect. The hospital staff’s English was very good. Dr. Giannakos' English is also very good.

3.   The most unexpected cost was my LATN surgery.

4.   It’s a long time ago but I had to fill out a sheet of paper about my mental health and during the consultation he asked me why I want to do the surgery.

5.   PM

6.   I always felt safe in Athens. My sister walked through the city on her own when it was very late and dark. She wasn’t afraid. Greek people are much friendlier and warmer than the average Germans. They offer help more often and smile more. Before my surgery a year ago I didn’t understand the bus system in Athens so I wanted to take the bus and buy a ticket inside but the bus driver told me that tickets can’t be bought inside. In the end he let me ride the bus without a ticket. It was a 30 minute ride. The same happened when I wanted to take the tram. The ticket machine was broken and the driver let me ride without a ticket. In Germany no one lets you ride any transport without a valid ticket. I prefer the southern mentality.

7.   https://www.athensbjr.com/cost-pricing-of-cosmetic-limb-lengthening/

8.   I guess it depends on each person. I forgot what he said a year ago. You can contact them anytime:
+30 216 8096703
info@athensbjr.com

BlueHen

« Reply #261 on: October 22, 2019, 11:41:09 AM »

Hey Great321

You sound like you've been making great progress since you recovered from the nailing surgery, congrats! You deserve it.

I'm undergoing LON, had my frames removed about a month ago and I was wondering if you had any tips on getting rid of that last stubborn 0.5cm of ballerina? my heels don't quite touch the floor when I'm barefoot and I feel it really effects my balance/strength in my legs. Your heels look great in that video of you walking unaided. What was your stretching routine like? Also any other specific exercise that you think have helped you walk?

Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll be off crutches in no time  :)
Undergoing LON. 1st operation on July 18th 2019. Frame removal 21st September. My diary - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64212.0

Great321

« Reply #262 on: October 22, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

Hey Great321

You sound like you've been making great progress since you recovered from the nailing surgery, congrats! You deserve it.

I'm undergoing LON, had my frames removed about a month ago and I was wondering if you had any tips on getting rid of that last stubborn 0.5cm of ballerina? my heels don't quite touch the floor when I'm barefoot and I feel it really effects my balance/strength in my legs. Your heels look great in that video of you walking unaided. What was your stretching routine like? Also any other specific exercise that you think have helped you walk?

Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll be off crutches in no time  :)

Thanks Bluehen, yes I’m doing better everyday.
Here is a video of me walking unaided from today:

https://i.imgur.com/fVLoEHZ.mp4

I only lengthened 5cm which made it easier for me. How much did you lengthen again? I forgot.
When the frames came off touching the floor with the heels was much easier for me. But I would still fall backwards if I didn’t lean forward. Now that problem is almost gone only by doing PT for a few weeks.
After Athens I rarely did PT, I couldn’t walk much (mostly with the walker), but what I occasionally did was using this device: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073W9JCDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stood on top of it (with my back against a wall) and pushed my heels against the surface of the device. Your calves are supposed to feel uncomfortable. This stretches the calves and your Achilles Tendons. Stand there as long as you can and do it a few times a day.
Strengthening your muscles is also very very important! I have posted a few examples of my PT exercises. You might want to do them, too :D I will post the other exercises as soon as I have a drawing (explaining with just words is complicated).

BlueHen

« Reply #263 on: October 22, 2019, 01:33:26 PM »

Thanks Bluehen, yes I’m doing better everyday.
Here is a video of me walking unaided from today:

https://i.imgur.com/fVLoEHZ.mp4

I only lengthened 5cm which made it easier for me. How much did you lengthen again? I forgot.
When the frames came off touching the floor with the heels was much easier for me. But I would still fall backwards if I didn’t lean forward. Now that problem is almost gone only by doing PT for a few weeks.
After Athens I rarely did PT, I couldn’t walk much (mostly with the walker), but what I occasionally did was using this device: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B073W9JCDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I stood on top of it (with my back against a wall) and pushed my heels against the surface of the device. Your calves are supposed to feel uncomfortable. This stretches the calves and your Achilles Tendons. Stand there as long as you can and do it a few times a day.
Strengthening your muscles is also very very important! I have posted a few examples of my PT exercises. You might want to do them, too :D I will post the other exercises as soon as I have a drawing (explaining with just words is complicated).

Wow! Your walking progress is great. I guess it's true when they say once you start walking unaided it gets better very quickly.

I did 5cm also. Thanks very much for that advice. I will definitely get one of those calf stretch board things.
Undergoing LON. 1st operation on July 18th 2019. Frame removal 21st September. My diary - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64212.0

Great321

« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2019, 01:51:37 PM »

Wow! Your walking progress is great. I guess it's true when they say once you start walking unaided it gets better very quickly.

I did 5cm also. Thanks very much for that advice. I will definitely get one of those calf stretch board things.

You're welcome :) I wish you success!

Great321

« Reply #265 on: October 22, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »

what I forgot to say: I can also climb stairs unaided but only upwards not downwards. And only when I make the first step with my left leg which seems to be stronger for this task.

TwinMusicom

« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2019, 12:26:54 AM »

New Video

Also:

Hey Everyone,

In Athens and had my CLL surgery, meet another Dr. Giotikas patient that did the same surgery and it turn out we became good friends, Planning.  Each day we push and encourage each other, plus getting into mischief with the staff at the Theseus.

I’m not planning to load my dairy till my lengthening is complete, but I’m keeping a personal daily dairy of my experience and might post the whole thing all at once when I’m complete.

There are a few rumors going around about the PT not be good at Theseus, not true.
Planning is the first dairy on this forum for Stryde and as I too were worry on Dr. Giotikas experience with Stryde since there was no dairy, all the worries went away after meeting a couple of current Dr. Giotikas Stryde patients prior to my surgery.

Have met another Dr. Giotikas Stryde chinese girl patient at the Theseus during PT and she is doing good after 6cm of lengthening. 

The moment before the surgery, before you are wheel into the OR, just remember that you were able to walk, run, jump, sit up, and sit down just to name a few.  The moment someone tap you on your shoulder and say your surgery was a success, but you have no idea that it already happened.  Remember about being able to walk, run, jump, sit up, and sit down, all that goes away, but not forever depending on the success of surgery and recovery.  Just have to retrain your body to do it all over again, cause your mind remember and know just 6 hours before you were able to and now your lower body won’t allow you to.

Overall the experience is awesome and the recovery is better than expected.  Well I’ll 99% focus on lengthening and recovery, so I will not be posting till my lengthening is done.
My dairy will mainly be on my experience since no matter what you read on pain level, recovery and complications, it will never be 100% of what you will experience if you have this surgery, cause this surgery is NOT for the weak, but can be worth it!!!

1. How long are you planning to stay in the area? I heard that Americans can only stay 90 days unless they apply for the Greece Schengen Visa beforehand https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/greece-visa/us-citizenship-passport-holders/

2. The thing is, if someone needs more than 90 days (8 cm is about 90 days exactly, right? Cutting it pretty close, not to mention if anything goes wrong and the patient needs to stay) , I'm not sure what happens. The process to get a Greece Visa seems like a pain in the butt but I might do it. Did you do it?
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/greece-visa/

The requirement of "Travel medical insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Greece and the entire Schengen area" seems like a problem. I don't know what this means- I have medical insurance in America, not in Greece so would I have to buy a second kind of insurance with Greece somehow?

TwinMusicom

« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2019, 12:33:39 AM »

Since last week I can get out of the house completely on my own and drive the car . I use the crutches. But I can walk stairs without crutches as long as there is at least one railing. I stopped taking Lyrica a while ago. I stopped taking pain killers a while ago as well. My muscle pain especially in my left leg is mostly gone when I use "Birkenstock" sandals. But I want to switch to shoes which I can't currently as other flat sandals or shoes cause the pain again.

Because the first orthopedist didn't want to prescribe me any insoles for my shoes (she wasn't even examining me, she didn't take me seriously), I went to my family doctor again and he saw that I have something called "splayfoot" and I had that even before LL, he told me that that can cause pain. So soon I will go to another orthopedist who will most likely prescribe me what the family doctor recommended.

I have 3 PT sesssions per week. I asked for more sessions but they said that 1. we shouldn't exaggerate and 2. that they show me the exercises which I can then do on my own as well. While the PT sessions in Athens lasted like an hour, they only last 20 short minutes here in Germany. Without the frames on many more exercises are possible so I have gotten 12 examples of what to do so far. For the calves, thighs, gluteus muscle, hip, abs.

PT examples:

This is what my PT wrote and draw. It's an example for one day. On other days I'm supposed to train other muscles.

--> https://i.imgur.com/3kXj3Gl.jpg
--> https://i.imgur.com/RUgBx6N.jpg

calves: You stand. You go up on your toes. You go down again. Up again.. 15 repetitions. 3 sets. You can do it on books, so that the Achilles Tendons are getting stretched, too.

thighs:
1. You stand in front of a chair or similar and hold your hands on the grips of the crutches or sth else, upper body is leaned forward while going slowly down into the sitting position. Then you stand up again. If you are a stronger you go down but don't sit, just remain above the seat for 1-2 seconds. 

The ball he draw is an exercise ball. On the first drawing it shows that you have to push the ball with your heel until your leg is fully stretched, you slowly go back again and stretch your leg again. On the second drawing you push your forward section of the foot against the ball as much as possible and back again. It's an exercise for the calves. The exercise ball can be replaced with a Thera-Band which ends you hold with your hands.

Next time I see him I will ask for another draft for the other exercises.

@CodyTheDog: I will reply soon (today)!

What Greek phrases have been most useful for you to know during your time in Athens?

Great321

« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »

Today I started to just use one crutch inside the house for safety reasons. I feel safe enough. It's easier to have one hand free to open doors quickly and carry things around.

@TwinMusicom: Since I have a German passport I didn't need to apply for visa. I'm pretty sure that Dr. Giotikas assistance can help you with your questions though. They are really responsive. Overseas health insurances are also easy and cheap to get.

In Greece you won't need to speak Greek to get by. But of course understanding "Good Morning", "Hello", "Ok", "Bye", "Thank you", "You're welcome" will be helpful and they will appreciate your efforts.

CodyTheDog

« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »

Yes, I have attached them in the diary. You can see the X-rays. I have lengthened 5cm. Maybe I lost a few mm through the LATN surgery. I'll see. I don't think that stopping the lengthening would have prevented it. But maybe lengthening slower would have been better and I couldn't walk as much as needed.

Anyways. I feel better now. My nausea isn't as bad anymore. I'm not afraid anymore of standing up and making steps as the dizziness is gone.

But I don't dare to put my whole weight on only one leg yet. My femur muscles are literally aching for exercise and weightbearing. I do some exercise but it doesn't replace a good walk. I try to dare more every day. Dr. Giotikas' assistant offered me help, I can message her whenever I need something. She is a studied nurse.

As soon as I'm at home again I will continue with professional PT.

1. Did you have to do the LATIN surgery because of an emergency? What was the reason they gave?

2. Do people doing internals ever have to do the LATIN surgery?

CodyTheDog

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2019, 12:08:52 PM »

Today I started to just use one crutch inside the house for safety reasons. I feel safe enough. It's easier to have one hand free to open doors quickly and carry things around.

@TwinMusicom: Since I have a German passport I didn't need to apply for visa. I'm pretty sure that Dr. Giotikas assistance can help you with your questions though. They are really responsive. Overseas health insurances are also easy and cheap to get.

In Greece you won't need to speak Greek to get by. But of course understanding "Good Morning", "Hello", "Ok", "Bye", "Thank you", "You're welcome" will be helpful and they will appreciate your efforts.

Thanks!!!

1. Oh? In most rooms/places you'll be there will be at least one English speaker usually then?

2. You didn't need any Greek to recognize signs/get around ?

3. Do you ever go outside your room to explore a bit? I'd be personally a bit afraid to walk around in a walker for STRYDE patients, seems like nothing you can do if a pick pocket comes

Great321

« Reply #271 on: October 25, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »

1. Did you have to do the LATIN surgery because of an emergency? What was the reason they gave?

2. Do people doing internals ever have to do the LATIN surgery?

1. my bone growth was too slow and I didn't want to stay in external frames more than 10 months

2. LATN surgery IS internal nailing

Thanks!!!

1. Oh? In most rooms/places you'll be there will be at least one English speaker usually then?

2. You didn't need any Greek to recognize signs/get around ?

3. Do you ever go outside your room to explore a bit? I'd be personally a bit afraid to walk around in a walker for STRYDE patients, seems like nothing you can do if a pick pocket comes

1.Whatever Dr. Giotikas provides, you can be sure to be able to speak English with someone. Not all the taxi drivers or not all the drivers of the wheelchair accesible vehicle will be able to speak english but the taxi drivers only need to know where you want to go and that's managed by the APP "BEAT", the driver's hired by Dr. Giotikas will already know where you need to be, one of them only knew basic English

2. no. google maps offers street names with latin letters. The App "BEAT" (for taxis) is also connected with google maps. athens is tourist friendly

3. I stayed in Alimos and with the help of someone I was taken to the seaside where I walked a bit. Athens is just as safe as any other big city. But don't worry as long as you aren't in a very shady corner you won't be in danger. I felt safe. The people are very friendly.

Great321

« Reply #272 on: October 25, 2019, 09:01:25 PM »

I decided to walk completely unaided from now on at home. Outside I will use at least one crutch. Every day walking gets easier. Next week I will get shoe insoles to finally treat my flat feet. (that I had before LL and that causes me pain in the feet during walking)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:30:46 PM by Great321 »

dreamingtall

« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »

Hi Great321,

Your diary is a reality check to anyone planning to get externals only, and goes to show how significant a nail is verses frames. In a month after getting the nail you are now walking unaided and it just goes to show the power of nails whether its IM nails or Stryde itself.

I feel sorry for those who make mistakes and have complications because of it. I know you are more than well aware of what you did wrong but I want to say I think when your bones fully consolidate you'll feel much better about it. I think because of the mistakes you made it impacted your feelings towards LL very negatively. This surgery is so much more powerful than I can even process so I just want to say I'm sorry for your lost time and I'm happy for the progress you are now seeing.. seems like it's only going up from here. cheers
Starting Height: 170.68cm; Goal Height: 182cm in two separate operations (^8cm Femurs, ^5cm Tibias)

SpeedDialer

« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »

I decided to walk completely unaided from now on at home. Outside I will use at least one crutch. Every day walking gets easier. Next week I will get shoe insoles to finally treat my flat feet. (that I had before LL and that causes me pain in the feet during walking)

If you were an American going to Greece, and you wanted to have certain things already there when you get there, how would you go about it? The thing is, an apartment or air bnb might get the package significantly before one gets there and there is the issue of whether that place has an area to store the stuff. I am trying to get a sense of what is good to bring. I heard that a grabber (did you find one useful?) to help pick stuff up https://www.amazon.com/RMS-2-Pack-Inches-Grabber-Reacher/dp/B00UZHYXHO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=grabber&qid=1572472518&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDI0MUExN1RJNjNDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzc4Nzg2MVpSNUlWWFpXS01PTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTkwNzU2MTJLVUNOTTFLNU9BMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= could be useful though it seems like certain things would be cumbersome to bring on a plane

What are some objects that you would definitely have ordered to the place and not bring if you had no one going with you to help you?

Great321

« Reply #275 on: November 05, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »

New X-rays

It's been about 7 weeks since my LATN surgery. These are my new X-rays. I haven't talked to Dr. Giotikas about them yet. I definitely see more bone growth which makes me happy. The nails look slightly bent (they look smiliar to Jolien's nails so I don't know if it's something to worry about). Which worries me though is the right side view. The nail doesn't look like it's completely inside the tibia. It would explain one thing. Sometimes (not every time) when I stand up after having sat for a longer time there's a pain exactly in that area that lasts just a few seconds. Also since a few days I feel some pain in my right shin (left side, around the middle area of the upper tibia) when I walk or do a certain PT exercise. For longer walks I use one crutch again. By putting a bit more weight on that one crutch again the pain does not appear. Maybe it's gone again as today it didn't hurt when I walked unaided but I want to be cautious. I noticed that now I can walk stairs upwards completely unaided (without holding onto the rails) and now it doesn't matter anymore with which leg I make the first step. My sleep is normal although it got a little bit more difficult to fall asleep because to lie with bend knees gets uncomfortable after a few minutes unlike a few weeks ago. The problem isn't about the knee caps or where the incisions were made but rather the area right above the knees. Maybe it's some muscle pain since I do PT. Also I feel like my calves are getting bigger again. I don't want them to get too big. I might use some compression stockings as Dr. Lee recommended.

Right Front view:
https://i.imgur.com/VWU3IJ7.jpg

Right Side view:
https://i.imgur.com/WPW1TJD.jpg

Left Front view:
https://i.imgur.com/XZ28xtQ.jpg

Left Side view:
https://i.imgur.com/ionumMH.jpg

Hi Great321,

Your diary is a reality check to anyone planning to get externals only, and goes to show how significant a nail is verses frames. In a month after getting the nail you are now walking unaided and it just goes to show the power of nails whether its IM nails or Stryde itself.

I feel sorry for those who make mistakes and have complications because of it. I know you are more than well aware of what you did wrong but I want to say I think when your bones fully consolidate you'll feel much better about it. I think because of the mistakes you made it impacted your feelings towards LL very negatively. This surgery is so much more powerful than I can even process so I just want to say I'm sorry for your lost time and I'm happy for the progress you are now seeing.. seems like it's only going up from here. cheers

I totally agree with you! I don't recommend fully externals to anyone. But I will summarize my thoughts and recommendations another time. Thanks!

If you were an American going to Greece, and you wanted to have certain things already there when you get there, how would you go about it? The thing is, an apartment or air bnb might get the package significantly before one gets there and there is the issue of whether that place has an area to store the stuff. I am trying to get a sense of what is good to bring. I heard that a grabber (did you find one useful?) to help pick stuff up https://www.amazon.com/RMS-2-Pack-Inches-Grabber-Reacher/dp/B00UZHYXHO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=grabber&qid=1572472518&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVDI0MUExN1RJNjNDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzc4Nzg2MVpSNUlWWFpXS01PTiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTkwNzU2MTJLVUNOTTFLNU9BMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= could be useful though it seems like certain things would be cumbersome to bring on a plane

What are some objects that you would definitely have ordered to the place and not bring if you had no one going with you to help you?

I will try to think about this soon and write about it.

Michael01

« Reply #276 on: November 05, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »

Your bone growth looks good. I don't believe you'll need graft or will have problem of non-union.

Great321

« Reply #277 on: November 05, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »

Dr. Giotikas messaged me that there is nothing to worry about and that the nails are manufactured like that. I will probably have a video call with him in the next days.

I also wanted to say that in my opinion my gait looks already quite good compared to a few weeks ago. In the morning after getting out of bed it takes a couple of steps though until my gait feels better.

Your bone growth looks good. I don't believe you'll need graft or will have problem of non-union.

I hope so :)

TemakiSushi

« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2019, 12:55:53 AM »

Looking at the side view of the right tibia, on the front side there is no callus, it’s similar to RGKey
If no callus in the front at this stage, Probably need debriedman and then bone graft, after back side callus is fully consolidated
Also do you know the diameter of the nail?
The nail is a good reference to know the real gap size
If it is 10mm, the gap seems like somewhere around 3cm
Anyways, better to seek other LL doctors advice
If you are in Germany, how about Dr Kohne
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up