Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019  (Read 49994 times)

Great321

Re: Dr. Giotikas - external tibia/Stryde - Diary 2018/2019
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »

You and I are almost at the same spot in our lengthening, I'm doing externals ilizarov, same problems. I would say the previous 2 weeks had some awful depression and pain, where I didn't even lengthen, sometimes 1 turn a day. It's all turned around, I'm training a lot in bed and doing hours of PT, and lessening pain killers as well. Keep strong man, every week it's a new struggle. Just keep smashing down walls until you get there.

Yes, everyday there are some moments where you think...when will this end? We have to celebrate on the day when our frames will be taken off  :) I wish you the best recovery!

Hang in there...

I too believe that mental health is very important during lengthening. Thats why its important to have family with you or lengthen together with other patients.

A LLer will face psysical issues aswell and psychological. That is why I asked Köhne if I could lengthen at home after 1,5 months. Being in familiar environment, eating food you are used to and hanging out with friends and family will make one forget time.

Yes I will and soon at least the lengthening part will end. Thanks for your words! I appreciate it!

Great321

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »

Update    3,525cm

Muscle problem
Since one of the physiotherapists showed me a certain stretching exercise my gluteus muscle feels a lot better now. Problem is not completely gone though.

Pain
The pain above my right heel had stopped 2 days later. Instead the place below my right knee started to hurt since yesterday whenever I walk.

Stiffness
Dr. Giannakos was seeing me right before PT and he told the physiotherapist to stretch my feet very firmly until the limit. The young woman was really confused because she was stretching my right foot so much but I just didn’t feel any pain. Later, I was lying on the treatment couch on which I was strapped, the bottom of my feet were leant on something. Then the PT elevated the treatment couch until I was “hovering” in the air with my body straight and with my weight on my feet. That lasted around 5-10 minutes. Afterwards there was much less distance between my heels and the floor when I tried to stand straight.

Infection
Two days ago my skin around one or two pins (under the knee) of my left tibia started to hurt. I wasn’t able to sleep on my side anymore. Walking and bending my knee was also very painful. Some skin there looked swollen and reddish so I took pictures and sent them to Dr. Giotikas. He told me that Dr. Giannakos will come see me. So he did today and I was prescribed antibiotics for the next 6 days(Augmentin). Dr. Giannakos was asking me if I took any antibiotics in the past weeks and I said no. He was disappointed which is confusing because no one told me to take any antibiotics. I have to clarify that. 

Great321

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »

Update     3,675

„Equinus“
I’m pretty sure that I can’t walk straight due to my heels that can’t touch the ground and not because of some weak muscles (as the PT told me in the beginning). I’m a bit disappointed by myself, I’m 20, yet not as flexible as thought. I wonder how long it will take until the heels touch the ground without pre stretching again. I walk even more bent over now which on top of another problem makes it difficult for me to hold my balance.

Knee pain
4 days ago one of my PTs just suddenly pushed down my right knee to make my leg straight. A sharp pain followed. I told her about it but she just acted as if that it’s normal. I’m sure she made a mistake. Because after that day I had developed pain right below my knee. When I told Dr. Giannakos about my pain he thought it’s because of my weak muscles. Can’t be true, since my right leg was strong enough a few days ago to do a lot of things on its own. The PT on friday was ordered to do a lot of stretching how I already mentioned. The young woman also pushed my knees down while doing that and even though I felt the pain there I thought it’s normal as I was told so.

But now both of my knees feel very weak. When I walk, I don’t put as much weight on my feet as before out of fear of the pain. My arms do most of the work. And when I have to stand on my feet to move the walker my knees hurt and I fear of falling. It is so frustrating to have two weak legs now. Things I was able to do without assistance (like PT exercises or just lifting my leg onto the bed) aren’t possible anymore with my right leg.

I walk much less than before now and I don’t want to walk at all actually. Because whenever I do, I feel too weak and it reminds me of my misery. After a few steps I needed to sit down again today. I feel kind of “betrayed” of my health. This could have been prevented.

Mental health
I slept until around 2:30pm today. Not only because I woke up several times at night again but also because I feel really down. The uncertainty of how long each pain will last or if you will ever walk similar as before, if you will have long lasting pain in the future isn’t easy to handle. I feel guilty of not walking enough or not doing enough PT, how much does this damage my recovery? Is walking only necessary for the bone formation or what else? 

Great321

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »

Update  3,75

Good news!

"Equinus"
I noticed yesterday that my left foot actually is still pretty flexible. I have almost no problem touching the floor with it after a short time or even immediately sometimes. It's only my right foot that can't touch the floor for a longer time.

Knee pain
I told my other PT to be more careful. The physiotherapists are in general very good there. This one woman who had pushed my knee wasn’t of course intending to hurt me but I will also tell her to be more cautious with my knees because even though some pain during PT is normal it shouldn’t cause the patient to not walk for a few days. Anyways after PT today I felt stronger. My right knee feels stronger again and I can walk again! So weird how so much can change overnight. Yesterday evening I wasn’t able to walk at all. I was very sad and today I feel rescued. There’s hope! My left leg in general is still very weak. But that will change, too.

Side note
When I felt depressed about my situation, I had written my doctors about it. Dr. Giotikas had called me yesterday evening and we talked about my concerns. He tried to motivate me and advised me to find things that make me strong (mentally), that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that I’m almost there. He also explained that the antibiotics matter was a misunderstanding. Everything went right.

Futura Free

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2018, 03:11:47 AM »

That's great to hear man! Your diary is slowly but surely making me believe  that Giotikas is one of the best options for tibia LL, and If all goes well i'll be doing 5 cm in my tibias in 2022 just like you :) Hang in there my friend, you're so close to the finish line and once you get there you'll be 5 cm taller and a thousand times stronger. Godspeed on your lengthening process and subsequent recovery, and I hope your good luck continues into the future <3

Sara123

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2018, 02:05:00 AM »

Thank you so much for this diary. Wishing you the very best. I will be seeing this doctor quite soon, consultation already booked. I’m planning to do just 5 cm also if my body can cope with it that is. What I like about him is that he also does work here in the U.K. for the National health service. He’s one of the few who performs this here also.

I can see you also mentioned a second operation later on.

wants2growtaller

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2018, 02:18:16 AM »

Update  3,75

Good news!

"Equinus"
I noticed yesterday that my left foot actually is still pretty flexible. I have almost no problem touching the floor with it after a short time or even immediately sometimes. It's only my right foot that can't touch the floor for a longer time.

Knee pain
I told my other PT to be more careful. The physiotherapists are in general very good there. This one woman who had pushed my knee wasn’t of course intending to hurt me but I will also tell her to be more cautious with my knees because even though some pain during PT is normal it shouldn’t cause the patient to not walk for a few days. Anyways after PT today I felt stronger. My right knee feels stronger again and I can walk again! So weird how so much can change overnight. Yesterday evening I wasn’t able to walk at all. I was very sad and today I feel rescued. There’s hope! My left leg in general is still very weak. But that will change, too.

Side note
When I felt depressed about my situation, I had written my doctors about it. Dr. Giotikas had called me yesterday evening and we talked about my concerns. He tried to motivate me and advised me to find things that make me strong (mentally), that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that I’m almost there. He also explained that the antibiotics matter was a misunderstanding. Everything went right.

Would you recommend someone doing 7.5 cm in one lengthening for tibia?
Some of us may have ''grown'' in stature. But it seems the majority of us have yet to grow in humanity

Great321

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2018, 05:30:53 PM »

Thank you so much for this diary. Wishing you the very best. I will be seeing this doctor quite soon, consultation already booked. I’m planning to do just 5 cm also if my body can cope with it that is. What I like about him is that he also does work here in the U.K. for the National health service. He’s one of the few who performs this here also.

I can see you also mentioned a second operation later on.

Thank you, too! Will you see him in the U.K. or in Athens? Looking forward to read about your experience:)

Would you recommend someone doing 7.5 cm in one lengthening for tibia?

No. At least my body couldn't cope with that amount. I'm 20 and my right heel couldn't touch the ground already at around 3cm. Also I wouldn't want to wear the frames for such a long time. Each cm means about 1,5months more of the frames.

Great321

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »

Update   3,975

X-rays
Today new X-rays were taken. Dr. Giannakos said that they look very good. This time I can post them since they weren’t given via CD. According to the number of clicks I made I should be around 3,9cm but I guess the X-rays will show less like last time. The exact numbers will be given to me soon. Then I know how many days more I have to lengthen.
The callus is more or less visible depending on the light in the pictures. So the callus of the fibula isn't as visible because I focused on the bigger bone.

Left tibia: https://i.imgur.com/9ZYuiHc.jpg
also Left tibia:  https://i.imgur.com/ZNOselu.jpg (In this one two holes are visible..strange, I have to ask about that)
One of the fibulas (close up): https://i.imgur.com/dUZzDq5.jpg
Right tibia: https://i.imgur.com/c6BypMB.jpg  (doesn't seem to look as good...but at least Dr. Giannakos was pleased)

Walking
The last two days we went outside by the seaside and I walked about 250meters each day. It was sunny and didn’t feel like December at all. That was the first time I walked so much without a stop in between. With healthy legs that’s a ridiculous small distance but with frames on that was a milestone. My next goal is to slowly increase the distance I could walk.

Muscle pain
My gluteus muscle is still causing problems at night. I apply that devil’s claw balm twice per night. Sometimes when I have to stand up in the morning it is very uncomfortable, there is tension going from lower back to foot (only left side) which makes it difficult to walk. It gets better later in the day. Without this problem the whole LL process would have been a lot easier to handle.

Appetite
I had lost my appetite after the surgery. Sometimes after a few bites I felt sick already. Every next bite was a fight. On top of that my digestion was too fast if you know what I mean so I might not got all the vitamins and stuff of the food I ate. Eating became a burden for me. I stopped drinking normal water from the supermarket, now I only drink fennel tea and my digestion system got better. Recently I noticed that I can eat more, too.

BladeRunner

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »

Update   3,975

X-rays
Today new X-rays were taken. Dr. Giannakos said that they look very good. This time I can post them since they weren’t given via CD. According to the number of clicks I made I should be around 3,9cm but I guess the X-rays will show less like last time. The exact numbers will be given to me soon. Then I know how many days more I have to lengthen.
The callus is more or less visible depending on the light in the pictures. So the callus of the fibula isn't as visible because I focused on the bigger bone.

Left tibia: https://i.imgur.com/9ZYuiHc.jpg
also Left tibia:  https://i.imgur.com/ZNOselu.jpg (In this one two holes are visible..strange, I have to ask about that)
One of the fibulas (close up): https://i.imgur.com/dUZzDq5.jpg
Right tibia: https://i.imgur.com/c6BypMB.jpg  (doesn't seem to look as good...but at least Dr. Giannakos was pleased)

Walking
The last two days we went outside by the seaside and I walked about 250meters each day. It was sunny and didn’t feel like December at all. That was the first time I walked so much without a stop in between. With healthy legs that’s a ridiculous small distance but with frames on that was a milestone. My next goal is to slowly increase the distance I could walk.

Muscle pain
My gluteus muscle is still causing problems at night. I apply that devil’s claw balm twice per night. Sometimes when I have to stand up in the morning it is very uncomfortable, there is tension going from lower back to foot (only left side) which makes it difficult to walk. It gets better later in the day. Without this problem the whole LL process would have been a lot easier to handle.

Appetite
I had lost my appetite after the surgery. Sometimes after a few bites I felt sick already. Every next bite was a fight. On top of that my digestion was too fast if you know what I mean so I might not got all the vitamins and stuff of the food I ate. Eating became a burden for me. I stopped drinking normal water from the supermarket, now I only drink fennel tea and my digestion system got better. Recently I noticed that I can eat more, too.

dont know what to say about the xrays but you should try to walk more, alot.
As much as you can.

Great321

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »

As much as you can.

Thanks for the input! Yeah I try

Great321

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »

I just talked to Dr. Giotikas. He is also pleased with the X-rays and my pin sites.

He said that exact measurement can't be done but I'd be around 3,4cm and I should lengthen 10 more days with 3 clicks per day.

Great321

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »

As much as you can.

taking your advice right now. I walk, walk and walk inside my appartment. Already walked 8 times the distance I walked in the very beginning with some stops inbetween. Still have enough energy to do a couple of more. Each time is like 50 steps.

Actually now I'm sure that I will be able to increase the amount I could walk by a lot...

I will keep track of my progress.

But guys, don't think that I walk like a normal person. Still can't put my whole weight on one foot without being very careful. So my weight is always spread on either both feet or on one more than the other. I still help myself with my arms but try to do it less and my butt still sticks out not because of duck ass but because my heels don't touch the ground completely (when I stand straight, they do when I lean forward with my upper body) and my muscles are still too weak
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:27:34 PM by Great321 »

Sara123

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2018, 02:22:28 AM »

Thank you, too! Will you see him in the U.K. or in Athens? Looking forward to read about your experience:)

No. At least my body couldn't cope with that amount. I'm 20 and my right heel couldn't touch the ground already at around 3cm. Also I wouldn't want to wear the frames for such a long time. Each cm means about 1,5months more of the frames.

I’m seeing him in London for a consultation quite soon. I will prepare questions for him and the useful information I’ve been given in this forum from this year will help me compile many of those questions. Once I’ve seen him, I will post the information he gives me on this forum hoping this will be of use to others. I will then need to have a few other consultations with other surgeons. Then I must make a decision. Should I have the operation with this doctor then it will be in Athens.

cheekycabs

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »

How are your pain levels when walking? Are you still taking 1 tramadol and 2 Lyrica, and what are your dosages? I'm close to the same progress as you, but the pain is really difficult, standing in the same place without painkillers is almost impossible, I get a huge amount of pressure on my tibias.

I am also impressed you're able to get 3 turns/4 turns consistently. If I do 3 turns or even 2, the pain in my ankles is incredible. Really astounded by your progress man.
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Kenda

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2018, 12:46:26 PM »

So when will you start Precice on your Femurs ?
Do you think from your experience that it would be better and easier ?

Great321

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 04:03:06 PM »

I’m seeing him in London for a consultation quite soon. I will prepare questions for him and the useful information I’ve been given in this forum from this year will help me compile many of those questions. Once I’ve seen him, I will post the information he gives me on this forum hoping this will be of use to others. I will then need to have a few other consultations with other surgeons. Then I must make a decision. Should I have the operation with this doctor then it will be in Athens.

Nice of you! Then good luck with your decision :)

So when will you start Precice on your Femurs ?
Do you think from your experience that it would be better and easier ?

I will wait with Stryde because I have just experienced how valuable it is to be able to walk. I want to recover as much as possible, enjoy working legs and then. A year at least. And yes, I think Stryde will be easier. I can't say if Stryde is better for tibias. I just wanted to avoid the possibility of permanent knee pain. (and to save money)

How are your pain levels when walking? Are you still taking 1 tramadol and 2 Lyrica, and what are your dosages? I'm close to the same progress as you, but the pain is really difficult, standing in the same place without painkillers is almost impossible, I get a huge amount of pressure on my tibias.

I am also impressed you're able to get 3 turns/4 turns consistently. If I do 3 turns or even 2, the pain in my ankles is incredible. Really astounded by your progress man.

Except for the serious muscle problem and some minor but not long lasting pains around the knee area I don't feel any major pain while walking. When I had the knee pain my doctor told me to take at least two Tramals a day and Paracetamol after every 6 hours but after the knee pain has stopped I don't feel the need to take so much. Actually I don't even know if Tramal has ever helped me. I still take 2 Lyrica a day and it helps quite well since I don't have any nerve pain anymore. I felt that pressure on my tibias in the beginning of lengthening. I felt pressure around my ankle and some nerve pain when I did the turns in the beginning but then I started to do the turns very slowly, sometimes even with stops im between to avoid that pressure and since then I don't have any pain during lengthening.

Sorry to hear that! I wish I could help you more. Everyone is different though. I know from someone else that he felt the pain always after walking.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:42:56 PM by Great321 »

Great321

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »

Since I started walking a lot more I feel better. That was the first night I didn't have to use the devil's claw balm to ease the muscle pain because it got better through walking. Today I walked probably at least 20-30 times 50 steps.

homesickalien

• Visitor
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »

How do I contact Dr. Giotikas?

Great321

Great321

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2018, 05:09:44 AM »

Before I wanted to go to bed this night I had very bad muscle discomfort in my left gluteus muscle again. (maybe due to immobility of 2hours)  I walked about 100 steps then but it wasn't enough. I had to apply the devil's claw balm and that helped perfectly to fall asleep. I was able to sleep well until I woke up just recently from my arm and feet which were fallen asleep. Only then I felt the muscle discomfort again (not as bad as hours before). I can highly recommend devil's claw balm to anyone with muscle pain or back pain etc. . It helps immediately.

qirenzhe123

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »

Because the relationship of money can be brought back to extend itself?

cheekycabs

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2018, 07:42:47 AM »

Nice of you! Then good luck with your decision :)

I will wait with Stryde because I have just experienced how valuable it is to be able to walk. I want to recover as much as possible, enjoy working legs and then. A year at least. And yes, I think Stryde will be easier. I can't say if Stryde is better for tibias. I just wanted to avoid the possibility of permanent knee pain. (and to save money)

Except for the serious muscle problem and some minor but not long lasting pains around the knee area I don't feel any major pain while walking. When I had the knee pain my doctor told me to take at least two Tramals a day and Paracetamol after every 6 hours but after the knee pain has stopped I don't feel the need to take so much. Actually I don't even know if Tramal has ever helped me. I still take 2 Lyrica a day and it helps quite well since I don't have any nerve pain anymore. I felt that pressure on my tibias in the beginning of lengthening. I felt pressure around my ankle and some nerve pain when I did the turns in the beginning but then I started to do the turns very slowly, sometimes even with stops im between to avoid that pressure and since then I don't have any pain during lengthening.

Sorry to hear that! I wish I could help you more. Everyone is different though. I know from someone else that he felt the pain always after walking.

Thanks for all the info, going to try this combination of painkillers today. One last question, do you know the dosages of the tramadol pills and the lyrica pills?
External Tib Ilizarov, Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0
Drugs, preparation, training: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V2bNA_OsVwqR5Qp6fAWH7VFN6DaZPJ8YroUELsIy28k/edit

1 year post can run slowly, walking/gym everyday. Issues are zero, ankle tight waking up.

Great321

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:10 AM »

Because the relationship of money can be brought back to extend itself?

?

Thanks for all the info, going to try this combination of painkillers today. One last question, do you know the dosages of the tramadol pills and the lyrica pills?

Up to 3 Tramals per day are allowed. You can take one whenever needed but not more than 3. It is recommended to take Tramal when you have eaten something before. Additonally you can take Paracetamol when needed, but not more than 4 per day.

I take one Lyrica in the morning and one in the evening. Never more than two.

You always say Tramadol and I'm talking about Tramal. If there's a big difference the allowed dosages can be different.

Great321

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2018, 08:29:17 AM »

If you are in great pain and in doubt about your doctor I recommend you to write to another doctor and ask for help. You could explain your situation why you can't come personally and offer money for the consultation. With pictures and a good description about your problems maybe another LL doctor could give advice. I don't know if that could work because doctors are probably in general cautious and don't want to interfere with another doctor's treatment but it's worth trying..

qirenzhe123

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2018, 11:04:07 AM »

?

Up to 3 Tramals per day are allowed. You can take one whenever needed but not more than 3. It is recommended to take Tramal when you have eaten something before. Additonally you can take Paracetamol when needed, but not more than 4 per day.

I take one Lyrica in the morning and one in the evening. Never more than two.

You always say Tramadol and I'm talking about Tramal. If there's a big difference the allowed dosages can be different.
Because the money is not enough. Can an external calf be taken home to extend it?

cheekycabs

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

If you are in great pain and in doubt about your doctor I recommend you to write to another doctor and ask for help. You could explain your situation why you can't come personally and offer money for the consultation. With pictures and a good description about your problems maybe another LL doctor could give advice. I don't know if that could work because doctors are probably in general cautious and don't want to interfere with another doctor's treatment but it's worth trying..

Thanks a lot for the information man. SOrry to be bothersome, but how many mg's are the pills your taking? That's what I meant from dosages. Yeah I am going to have to try and check for a new doctor, I'm not entirely comfortable with mine. Does Dr. Giotikas do post-care only? I may consider just flying there and getting his advice on how to handle my current surgery. Do you have his contacts?

Great321

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »

Thanks a lot for the information man. SOrry to be bothersome, but how many mg's are the pills your taking? That's what I meant from dosages. Yeah I am going to have to try and check for a new doctor, I'm not entirely comfortable with mine. Does Dr. Giotikas do post-care only? I may consider just flying there and getting his advice on how to handle my current surgery. Do you have his contacts?

I see, Tramal and Tramadol are the same thing. I guess it's 50mg. Below there's a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0599NbA.jpg

Not sure about that. That would be a good idea. At least it would assure you if everything is right. You could contact several doctors and see how they respond to you. Than you have options. I always contact this e-mail address: info@athensbjr.com

Great321

« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2018, 08:43:11 PM »

Because the money is not enough. Can an external calf be taken home to extend it?

Still not quite sure what you mean. Dr. Giotikas expects the patient to stay in Athens during lengthening phase.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:00:12 PM by Great321 »

Great321

« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »

That's great to hear man! Your diary is slowly but surely making me believe  that Giotikas is one of the best options for tibia LL, and If all goes well i'll be doing 5 cm in my tibias in 2022 just like you :) Hang in there my friend, you're so close to the finish line and once you get there you'll be 5 cm taller and a thousand times stronger. Godspeed on your lengthening process and subsequent recovery, and I hope your good luck continues into the future <3

Hey I'm sorry I forgot to answer. Anyways thank you very much!

cheekycabs

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »

I see, Tramal and Tramadol are the same thing. I guess it's 50mg. Below there's a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0599NbA.jpg

Not sure about that. That would be a good idea. At least it would assure you if everything is right. You could contact several doctors and see how they respond to you. Than you have options. I always contact this e-mail address: info@athensbjr.com

Much appreciated Great321, thanks!

What about your dosages/mg for the Lyrica?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up