Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Successful female patients??  (Read 626 times)

Ayesha12345

Successful female patients??
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:02:32 AM »

Hey all! I’ve been reading how this surgery is more complicated for women because they have thinner bones & even shorter starting height. I am a 149cm (barely 4’11) woman and weigh 45kg. Please tell me there are successful stories of petite women here. If I were above 5 I would’nt be considering this. The irony is, the shorter you are, the riskier it is,(overall  shorter tendons, abnormal proportions etc)

myloginacc

Re: Successful female patients??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_Ban

Not the best role model, but it seems the surgery went fine for her.

One of the few CLLers with a Wikipedia page.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Ayesha12345

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »

Thanks! Any idea what her starting height was? I wish there was more data, esp with Precice on short women.

wanna-be-taller

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »

This patient diary is shared with patient's own permission. All questions regarding this diary are welcome and will be promptly answered.

My Ilizarov Diary

I was operated on 05 May 2015 at about 11:30 am. My limb lengthening operation lasted 2 hours and 10 minutes. I had “brain fog” because of the effect of anesthesia when I woke up. At night my leg started hurting, but nurses frequently injected pain injection, that they used to do twice in a day. I tried to walk after 2 days of surgery, I could take 3-4 steps. The next day I could walk a little more, but it was really hard. After 4 days, I was discharged from the hospital. I slowly tried to do exercises at home, that my dr advised me.

After 10 days I started to do distraction rate of 0.5 mm per day. About 15 days after the operation, I began easily walk at home. I hardly ever had any pain. The nerve, bone and muscular pain started on reaching 2.5-3 cm. I resisted not to take too much painkillers, but when I had a lot of pain, I was taking the pain pill that dr recommended. As the lengthening increased, the pain got worse.

I used to go to a doctor every month or 2 months. After 4-5 cm lengthening, muscle tension symptoms appeared on my legs. So I couldn’t do stretching exercises as much as I needed. As a result, my heels began not to touch the ground. Although this “ballerina syndrome” is formed in many lengthening patients after surgery, but I think if I could do more exercises and keep my muscles flexible, maybe I could prevent it. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t go to physiotherapy during the lengthening period. Because, when I tried to do my exercises, I stopped if it began to hurt. Even if I managed, it wasn’t effective as doctor did. So I advise those who want to be operated, have a physical therapy.

Walking on my fingertips also began to affect my psychology and I wanted to finish my lengthening. I stopped distraction when lengthening reached 7 cm. After 7-10 days, the pain has decreased. About 1 month later,  tension and weight on my legs were over. At that time some of the pin sites were infected. It was very painful. I used antibiotics and the infection has passed.

From the first day I was discharged from hospital, I consumed plenty of calcium foods: eggs, milk, yoghurt, sesame seeds from the village, also I drinking bone juice every morning. At the same time, I was taking calcium and vitamin D.

Seven months after the operation I returned to work. I still used a walker. 8 months later I started walking with a cane. I tried to walk with crutches before that, but I didn’t get used to it. One year after the surgery, my doctor removed the device from my left leg. I started to push on that foot comfortably, and about 20 days later,  the doctor removed a device from my right leg too. It was hard to imagine how happy I was  But I was a little in a strange void. I have no more metals on my legs that I’ve been carried for a year

Now I can walk, run and jump normal, as did it before surgery. The only problem for me at the moment is that sometimes I feel tightness in calf muscles. I have to do a lot of exercises and massage to solve it, but I don’t do anything for it  Because it doesn’t bother me so much.

Generally, everything is normal for me. I’m very happy when people notice my height got taller and to see that I’m taller than the people I used to be shorter. Despite all the difficulties, I’m happy that I had this operation. The surgery and postoperative period is long and difficult enough, but it was worth it.

I don’t recommend this operation if your height is not too short, but if it is really short and you are both physically and psychologically ready, then I advise you have this surgery. Because no matter at what age you are, the short height complex doesn’t leave you.

notatroll

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »

Succesful cases? I only met one woman LLer. The biggest disaster I've ever seen in CLL.

That politician went from 5'1 to 5'4 according to the media. She did externals

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 10:01:07 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_Ban

Not the best role model, but it seems the surgery went fine for her.

One of the few CLLers with a Wikipedia page.

wow, how did you find this? any more wiki pages? thanks for sharing.

notatroll

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »

It's a very famous case. People used LL against her in her political career.

Ayesha12345

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 11:03:38 PM »

Why would you say it was a disaster?

notatroll

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 11:18:48 PM »

The politician case wasn't a disaster.

The disaster was the female patient I met in Barcelona.  Monegal disgraced her. She had 10+ surgeries and can't walk yet AFTER 4 YEARS. Worst case ever in CLL history. Other guys had issues but this girl was the WORST case.

Ayesha12345

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 12:44:15 AM »

Omg that’s terrible to not be able to walk well after 4 years 😞 do you know whether she did Precice? And whether she lengthendd too much? I might do just 5cm tibia which is so less considering the high cost but then again health & function is more important..

notatroll

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 02:05:34 AM »

Omg that’s terrible to not be able to walk well after 4 years 😞 do you know whether she did Precice? And whether she lengthendd too much? I might do just 5cm tibia which is so less considering the high cost but then again health & function is more important..

She did femur Fitbone. She did 6.5 cm.

Sara123

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »

I remember reading about the case further below years ago. I don’t like the result on this woman. Her tibias look far too long for her. It seems she lengthened 3 inches just there, which seems odd as this seems too much to be safe or look proportional. From what I’ve seen if I’m very honest, most cases are successful even for very short women. You do hear of disasters but they appear to be very few and far between from what I’ve seen in some studies online and also from a limb lengthening website, it’s a site that has extensive information about this procedure. I think if this is really affecting your life then it’s worth the risk because it seems to me most cases end up well in the end if you do it reasonably.

I read of another case, a woman on the NHS, they lengthened her femurs using an external device. She faced an infection and had to be taken to hospital and given certain antibiotics. The infection cleared. After the frames were removed her bone snapped. She had to wear one of the frames again for 2 months. They snapped a further 2 times after that. She did lengthen a lot though and I mean a lot. It was ok in the end but it took almost 2 years. Not only is there the risk of disaster although it seems quite small, there is the bigger risk I think of it all taking far longer than initially thought. I think it’s definitely fairly common that things go wrong, but things that can be fixed but, which means you will not be as ready to go back to normal life for much longer than you thought.

Again this is a risk worth taking if you are quite young. 2 years may seem like a like lot but I’m 39 and life is very short and 2 years is nothing if it means having a better life in your other remaining years. I’ve also learned that 2 years sounds like a lot but it’s not a lot at all. Years fly by and before we know it we tell ourselves 2 or 3 years later “if only I had done this 2 years ago, I would feel much better now”.

I feel if anyone is going to do this surgery they need to plan for the worst. Make a Will, you might die. Work out how you will look after yourself if you end up disabled. Does your country offer welfare, is anyone in your family willing to look after you, does your country have a good health service and will it be accessible.

I think it’s worth the risk in many cases as long as you go knowing that there is a possibility life could become worse and have some plan for how you will deal with that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1039416/Tall-order-The-bizarre-Russian-clinic-offers-leg-lengthening-surgery-STAND-pain.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up