Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why do some surgeons prefer amputation to LL?  (Read 1014 times)

notatroll

why do some surgeons prefer amputation to LL?
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:10:18 PM »

Why do some surgeons in UK prefer amputation to LL (in a case where LL isn't cosmetic)?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5694585/US-surgeons-save-little-girls-leg-did-NHS-offer-amputation.html

CaptainAmerica

Re: why do some surgeons prefer amputation to LL?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 10:54:51 PM »

Because DR. MONEGAL!!!!!!!!

notatroll

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »

Because DR. MONEGAL!!!!!!!!

LOL. Monegal is a terrible surgeon IMO. I still have to discover if Monegal had to do with Clinica Diagonal amputation. BUT Monegal isn't involved here. In this article NHS surgeons said they prefered amputation. Only Paley could save the girl's leg.

myloginacc

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »

Because of prostheses, no residual deformities, and no possible long-term consequences, or risks, of LL. If I had to venture a guess, that is.

These are also the two most common routes for fibular hemimelia. If you notice it, all the notable people in that article underwent amputation - even those born after 1990.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

notatroll

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 11:23:17 PM »

Because of prostheses, no residual deformities, and no possible long-term consequences, or risks, of LL. If I had to venture a guess, that is.

These are also the two most common routes for fibular hemimelia. If you notice it, all the notable people in that article underwent amputation - even those born after 1990.

So LL is that risky that even in non cosmetic cases some surgeons prefer to amputate… Food for thought.

HeightGain

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:08:46 AM »

All about lack of expertise and money in the NHS. I assume Paley can back up his 98% success rate claim, otherwise I hope he wouldn't say it. Everything should be done to at least try and save that girl's leg

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:47:55 AM »

Because amputation is potentially saving a life whereas CLL you're risking making a normally functional person abnormal if the legs turn out unequal in length or other complications arise.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

cool

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:50:45 AM »

Because amputation is potentially saving a life whereas CLL you're risking making a normally functional person abnormal if the legs turn out unequal in length or other complications arise.

Uh, no he wasn't asking about CLL. He was asking why some doctors prefer to do amputation instead of LL + deformity correction.
8)

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »

So LL is that risky that even in non cosmetic cases some surgeons prefer to amputate… Food for thought.

It's rather too risky in that particular case of a deformed limb. It's regularly done in cases where one leg is simply shorter, but otherwise normally developed.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »

Uh, no he wasn't asking about CLL. He was asking why some doctors prefer to do amputation instead of LL + deformity correction.
Uh, ok.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

myloginacc

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 09:53:25 PM »

It's rather too risky in that particular case of a deformed limb. It's regularly done in cases where one leg is simply shorter, but otherwise normally developed.

Even then, I think most orthopedists would simply refer their patients to an orthotist - so those patients can wear insoles that compensate for the leg length discrepancy.

Also, based on research I've read in the last few months, I predict using conventional distraction osteogenesis to correct small limb length discrepancies will be almost completely gone within 8 years.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).
Pages: [1]   Go Up