Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on this monorail device (Holyfix) ?  (Read 1968 times)

takura

Thoughts on this monorail device (Holyfix) ?
« on: December 15, 2018, 06:36:22 PM »

So far I have only seen two reports of members having used this

One is from here (you can read her diary here: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4972.0

She lengthened to 8.1cm or so. Looks to have severe ballerina though (Im not sure, Im new to lengthening)

The other is Shagella from Makemetaller who did 7cm by holyfix device (externals only)

It looks pretty cool

There's a few youtube videos on this as well. It's only done in Istanbul Turkey though ..

Opinions? Device looks quite continent if Im being honest

myloginacc

Re: Thoughts on this monorail device (Holyfix) ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:27 PM »

Ask orthopedic surgeons.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

heightconsultant

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »

I am also seeing these devices here and there these days.

From my researches, this type of fixators are called "monorail devices". They were developed to be more compact and sturdier than Ilizarov circular frames, so i guess it is an improvement.

I found some official sheets about this device, those who are interested may find useful:

http://www.spinamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2-Ortovia-Eksternal-Fixators-System-.pdf

Oh, and here is another evidence of its usage (in 2015 it was already being used, which i found surprising):

https://wannabetaller.com/holyfix-a-psychological-counselor/

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »

Looks like nothing more than a slightly modified monorail with a fancy name.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

takura

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:23:46 AM »

Looks like nothing more than a slightly modified monorail with a fancy name.

Hey there KiloKAHN

How was the feeling when you quit your lengthening .. were you regretful you didn't do more than 7cm? Did it ever get too painful ..sorry if you've already answered these questions but you should know, the new ll people really look up to the oldies

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 02:10:03 AM »

Hey there KiloKAHN

How was the feeling when you quit your lengthening .. were you regretful you didn't do more than 7cm? Did it ever get too painful ..sorry if you've already answered these questions but you should know, the new ll people really look up to the oldies

I didn't go over 6 cm. Some days were more painful than others.  It was most consistently painful during the period I lengthened 1 mm per day instead of .75mm. After the lengthening stopped there was still pain some days, but most of it would be when I'd knock my frames into something while walking, when my ankles would get stiff, or when my muscles would randomly contract and cause the areas around the pins to be in considerable pain.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

takura

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 03:08:46 AM »

I didn't go over 6 cm. Some days were more painful than others.  It was most consistently painful during the period I lengthened 1 mm per day instead of .75mm. After the lengthening stopped there was still pain some days, but most of it would be when I'd knock my frames into something while walking, when my ankles would get stiff, or when my muscles would randomly contract and cause the areas around the pins to be in considerable pain.

Are you satisfied with life now? I read loads of diaries.. there was some talk about dark side patient and light side. The dark side does not do physiotherapy, stays on his bed all day and uses his wheelchair to move. While light sider does all the physhio .. its quite conflicting because there's also guys saying not doing any activity helped them avoid pain and then they started sorting their issues once they finished lengthening or had their frames removed. What's the gist with all that?

I myself am planning to get monorails and recover at home myself.. so far it seems very possible to me, now idea how the walking would be because I do have to cook for myself and also get groceries.

TemakiSushi

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 03:16:37 AM »

Monorails are harder to control bone alignment, so easier to get malunion
Good doctors don’t use them
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

Sanity

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 04:28:22 AM »

You can ask a guy named here as bodybuilder, he did monorails.

Monorails is less improvised version of illazarov frames or the TSF. It does the job but if bone complication occurs its harder to control for the doctor compared to the full ring device.

If I was given the choice, I would choose the full rings fixators(illazarov) over monorails unless I had no option.
post ll:  5'10.5  (+2.25 in)

heightconsultant

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

It is quite easy to make statements based on one or two particular cases. But more accurate information can only be achieved with proper research.

According to this scientific article, 15 bone non-union patients saw treatment with Ilizarov frames and another 15 with monorail fixators. The results were compared, and:

"Average duration of application was 8.8months in patients of Ilizarov compared to 8.3months in rail
fixator group. Lengthening achieved in 2 patients of compression distraction was of the average 2.33cm average gain in 3 patients in Ilizarov group compared to 2.5 cm in Rail fixator group. Only 1 patient required split skin grafting as secondary procedure in Rail fixator group compared to 2 patients in Ilizarov group"

"Only 1 patient required split skin grafting as secondary procedure in Rail fixator group compared to 2 patients in Ilizarov group. Further 1 patient in latter group (Ilizarov) required bone grafting."

"According to ASAMI criteria for bone results we had 8 excellent, 5 good, 0 fair and 2 poor results in Ilizarov group, and 9 excellent, 4 good, 1 fair and 1 poor results in Rail fixator group."

You can check the full article itself here:

http://oaji.net/articles/2017/1874-1533622982.pdf

As you may see, monorails handled misaligned and non-united bones quite well, even better in several aspects than Ilizarov.

Handling complications is also dependent on which device the doctor is comfortable with. If a surgeon is more familiar with Ilizarov, of course he/she will praise it. And if another doctor is more experienced in monorail usage, he/she will talk positively about monorail fixators.

HeightGain

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »

That reference is not from a reputable journal so carries no weight. No conclusions of worth can be drawn from it

heightconsultant

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »

Then may I see a reputable source which describes disadvantages of monorails?

Don't blame me but nowadays it becomes difficult to believe individual patient diaries, and make judgements accordingly, due to lots of bias. One has to read many of them to be able to believe.

Even irresponsible patients who suffer due to their own fault, blame their doctors or the method used.

takura

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 11:28:28 PM »

@Body builder
Please share your experience with monorails. You never really put out your experience in CLL

TemakiSushi

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

Then may I see a reputable source which describes disadvantages of monorails?

Don't blame me but nowadays it becomes difficult to believe individual patient diaries, and make judgements accordingly, due to lots of bias. One has to read many of them to be able to believe.

Even irresponsible patients who suffer due to their own fault, blame their doctors or the method used.
The fact that reputable doctors don’t use them can be a good reason to avoid monorails
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable
Pages: [1]   Go Up