Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Petersburg Lengthening -- DISTRACTION COMPLETED  (Read 19205 times)

California2

Re: St. Petersburg Lengthening -- DISTRACTION COMPLETED
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »

Regarding the last two questions/posts above:

Leg Length Discrepancy

I doubt I had a material leg length discrepancy before the procedure.  However, you should remember that distraction can (and probably will) create a small discrepancy because your distraction will not likely be exactly equal on each leg.

Solomin/Kulesh use the following format: surgery-->distraction-->correction-->surgery-->consolidation.

Once you get your desired length change, you stop distracting.  Then, you get tall film x-rays to check for a leg length discrepancy. 

Then, you enter the corrections phase.  Hexapods are installed that address both alignment and length discrepancy, if any.  Once everything is exactly in position, frames are locked in place and hexapods are removed for your final surgery (unless you are doing pure externals--then, no final surgery.)

PT During Lengthening

I am usually not a fan of PT because I can usually do on my own better, whatever it is the therapist wants me to do.  In St. Petersburg, I had Dr. Irina--a Ph.D. therapist.  She was remarkable AND she did things that I could not do myself. 

She trained me 3 days a week and I worked out on my own all other days. 

Walking During Consolidation

The rule of thumb for total consolidation is 2 months for every centimeter of lengthening.  Because I lengthened 9 mm, I should not expect to be fully consolidated for 18 months.

Solomin/Kulesh opine that the risks of weight-bearing prematurely do not justify the potential benefits.

Orthopedists are historically challenged by the dilemma presented by the need to bear weight to promote hard bone growth balanced against the risk of device failure--here, that the two little screws that anchor the base of my nails will break.

You can imagine the problems that might arise if I sheared my screws and drove my nail into my foot.

So, until I have 75% hard bone touching hard bone, I am to limit my weight-bearing to 30% of my weight.

It is impossible to accurately estimate the amount of weight you put on your feet when walking so walking is out for now.  Instead, I stand on a bathroom scale with my walker so that I can accurately manage my weight bearing.

Also, when I am working on the computer, I will put my feet on the scale; then, slide the edge of the desk on top of my bent knees so that the desk pushes down on my tibias.  If I need more weight, I put some folders between my legs and the desk.

If things go well (as evidenced by monthly x-rays) I should be able to start walking with a walker in another month or two.

It is easy to stand and to walk; that is, I have plenty of strength to do it and feel no pain, it is just that I go way over 30% when I do so I am taking my time and being careful.

Ghostfish

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »

Hi California2

Thanks for sharing your journey! You are brave and strong.  You have made it!!  I really hope you have a good recovery and enjoy your life!

Wish you the best of luck!!

Big Decision

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 08:27:08 PM »

Hi California,

I have done my nailing a week ago and I have a few questions,

One of the major problem I'm dealing with is my feet are suler numb,
I can't move my right toe at all don't feel anything on my right foot,  it's like a dead piece of flesh, I can't lift my feet with my leg,  so I have to use my arms. looks like nerve damage to me.
Did you have this issue after nailing?

I have that issues and on top of that god damn Edema.

My third major problem is very limited knee contractions.

Any advice?  have you gone through any of those,  how long did it last

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »

Hi California,

I can't move my right toe at all don't feel anything on my right foot,  it's like a dead piece of flesh, I can't lift my feet with my leg,  so I have to use my arms. looks like nerve damage to me.

Seems to me you didnt stretch enough while distracting and got nerve damage after nailing due to that. Are you able to lift your foot up or does it just drop down? Should have really done LON
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

California2

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 01:52:55 AM »

Hi California,

Congratulations on entering the consolidation phase.  From now on, things should get easier.

Get some support hose (compression stockings) and wear them all the time; keep your feet above your heart when you can.  Edema (and the associated pain) should decrease substantially over the next two weeks.

It is normal for your feet to be numb now.  If you can move ANY toes, you are ahead of the game.

What do you mean, "you can't lift your feet with your legs?"

When you lie flay on your back, can you keep your leg straight and lift it off the ground (moving from the hip)?

When you sit in a chair, can your extend your lower leg out (moving from the knee)?"

Can you like on your back and do bicycles?

You must have patience while your legs can heal but you must also work to help your body heal.  Except for stretching and trying to move parts that are stiff, most of healing will come naturally. 

You will start eating more, and gaining more strength, and sleeping better, and feeling better.  As you do, you will naturally do more with your legs.  This is how things should work.  If they don't, contact your MD.

Remember, the rule of thumb for complete consolidation is 2 months per every centimeter of lengthening.  If you lengthened 6 centimeters; then, you should not expect to be fully consolidated for one year.

You may begin to bear weight and resume most activities within months, but full healing takes time.

Big Decision

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2019, 03:19:09 PM »

Hey guys thanks for getting back to me,

Unfortunately I can't lift my feet with my hip,  the only way to lift any of my foot in using my arm.

I can move my left toe,  but right one is numbs,  no feeling.
That has happened after nailing...

And my knee contraction is pretty bad,  I do strength everyday.

Depressing time,  I have to drag my feet around,  I can't extend my feet using my knee when I'm on wheelchair. My right foot feels really heavy.

I get some random nerve pain on both feet,  makes me hope life will be back to my feet someday..

California2

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »

Sounds like you should talk with your MD.  You did not have a procedure that would effect your ability to move your lower leg from your hip or your knee.  Is the problem in your head rather than your body?

LLwarrior

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »

Sounds like you should talk with your MD.  You did not have a procedure that would effect your ability to move your lower leg from your hip or your knee.  Is the problem in your head rather than your body?

In your head? LoL

BladeRunner

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »

this forum keeps amazing. here is another prime example of a mentally defective human being.
56years of age. hip replacement. does LL in russia.
When someone (Big Decision) has nerve damage, which is appearently common amongst russian LL surgeons. He comes out to give his sh!tty opinion that its all in his head.
A LLer cannot feel his legs anymore!! and you write this?

edit:
also take ur sh!tty diary and shove it up ur neanthertal ass. This diary only promotes the savages in Russia. How many drop foots and serious complications should we have before you stop promoting?

California2

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »

Oh Dear!  Does BladeRunner need a cuddle?

Or, are you merely jealous that I did something very successfully that you only talk about?

Please share your dumbass uninformed comments with someone else.

Big Decision didn't say he cannot feel his feet.  He wrote that he cannot lift his leg from the hip nor can he extend his lower leg from the knee while seated.

These complaints do not appear to be associated with LL surgery. 

Big Decision knows why he is having challenges--it has very little to do with his surgery.

LLwarrior

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »

Oh Dear!  Does BladeRunner need a cuddle?

Or, are you merely jealous that I did something very successfully that you only talk about?

Please share your dumbass uninformed comments with someone else.

Big Decision didn't say he cannot feel his feet.  He wrote that he cannot lift his leg from the hip nor can he extend his lower leg from the knee while seated.

These complaints do not appear to be associated with LL surgery. 

Big Decision knows why he is having challenges--it has very little to do with his surgery.

He said he could not feel his right foot , do you know what is peroneal nerve damage? It could be done during surgery , like in this case , and he is not the only one who reported this issue , so stop bum liking your doctor , you are ok , then you are lucky but dont come here to fk others that hasnt got the luck you had because it only shows your lack of empathy.

California2

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »

He said he could not feel his right foot , do you know what is peroneal nerve damage? It could be done during surgery , like in this case , and he is not the only one who reported this issue ...

Now the dumbasses are stacking up.

You have no idea how much time and empathy I devoted to Big Decision--more uniformed commentary.

The peroneal nerve wraps from the back of the knee to the front of the shin.  Even if it was SEVERED, it would only effect function BELOW the knee.

Big Decision says he cannot lie on his back and raise his leg from the hip.  He also says he cannot extend his lower leg while seated. 

The above symptoms do NOT appear to implicate "nerve damage" or the peroneal nerve at all. 

Your uninformed opinions combined with your vulgarity merely make you look juvenile and ignorant.

Big Decision

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2019, 03:49:02 PM »

Hey guys,  let me clear things up.

My feet are numb,  the right one is completely numb,  I hardly feel anything when I touch or massage it.

My feet are like dead flesh hanging from my body,  the right one is worse,  I can move my left toes and I feel more when I touch my left foot.
That being said, I don't have control over my feet,  so if I lift them up to the air with my hands and release them at once,  they will drop down to the floor.

I didn't have this problem when I had frames on.

I hope this clear things up.

California2

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2019, 05:20:56 PM »

I wonder if you are leaving out some important details?

When did you stop distraction?

What amount did you distract?

When did you begin corrections?

When were corrections completed?

Did you correct a leg length discrepancy?  If so, how much over what period of time.

When was your final surgery?

Was your final surgery LON or LATN?

When you lie flat on your back, with your legs out straight, can you lift one foot off the floor from your hip?

Before your final surgery, could you lie flat on your back, with your legs out straight, and lift one foot off the floor from your hip?

Some numbness after surgery is very normal.  Inability to move your feet or toes after surgery is also normal.

It is NOT normal to be able to do single leg lifts before surgery but not after.  However, no aspect of a LON second surgery or a LATN surgery would effect your ability to move your leg from the hip.

Jim_dabarber

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2019, 05:26:09 PM »

By saying your feet im assuming just your feet and not your entire leg. If so then yes you definitely
Have nerve damage. Exact same thing happened to me when i first did my left tibia. After nailing i woke up and my foot was like you describe, a piece of flesh just there. The damage was minor and i recovered feeling and touch within 2 months. After nailing of my left femur, nerve damage occured again on same side and i again woke up with no movement in my left foot. This time it took 5 months before i started gaining movement and feeling again. I have regained about 90% of movement and 30% feeling on that left foot. Nerve damage can take up to a year to fully recover.

Best thing to do right now is get an mri and have them check to see if your nerves are still attached. If only stretching was done then you should expect to recover to a certain extent. Patience is key here. I know what your feeling as i went thru the same thing
165 cm pre LL / 174 cm after undergoing 4cm on tibias and 5cm on femurs, Cross-Lengthening with Dr. Kulesh and Dr. Solomin / http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=5016.0

California2

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »

I am troubled by the frequent complaints of "nerve damage" in this forum.  I write this because it is very normal (and expected) that surgery AND lengthening produce swelling.  Swelling is one of the body's natural responses to trauma.

Swelling can compress nerves.  Compressed nerves often cannot transmit signals as effectively as non-compressed nerves.  However, this is a very normal and temporary condition even if it takes a year to resolve.  Such conditions do NOT constitute nerve "damage" per se; that is, nothing is wrong with the nerve--it is merely compressed by swelling.

MRI is not usually the first test for nerve conduction--in fact, MRI is generally used mainly to check for nerve root compression.  Normally, the first tests would be a nerve conduction study or an EMG.

However, Big Decision is less than a month out of surgery so it seems far too early to perform any nerve studies.

I am more interested in understanding Big Decision's complaints of inability to control his legs ABOVE the knee.

Big Decision

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

When did you stop distraction? One week before surgery

What amount did you distract? 7.5

When did you begin corrections? I had one week of correction

When were corrections completed?

Did you correct a leg length discrepancy?  If so, how much over what period of time.
I had 5mm of dicrepancy,  and I corrected in same day by distracting 5mm on right leg. Reckless decision

When was your final surgery? It's been 9 days

Was your final surgery LON or LATN? LATE

Thanks Jim,  good to hear from you, 

Only my feet have this problem and they still have a lot of swelling going on.
Yeah it feels like some weights been attacked to your feet,  so you can't lift your feet.

California2

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »

To Big Decision:

When you lie flat on your back, with your legs out straight, can you lift one foot off the floor from your hip?

Before your final surgery, could you lie flat on your back, with your legs out straight, and lift one foot off the floor from your hip?

Big Decision

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »

I could do it before,  but i can't right now.

California2

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »

To Big Decision:

What you are writing does not make much sense to me.  What does your MD say about your situation?

If you had one week for your corrections, why did you correct .5 cm in one day? 

What is your conclusion regarding why you cannot do one-legged leg lifts? 

Big Decision

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »

Me lengthening that much was a reckless decision on made.

If you want to know how it feels,  u can imagine putting heavy weight on ur foot and try to lay back on your back and lift ur foot.

My feet feel heavy,  really heavy ,  so when i try to lift it I feel lots of pressure on my knee.

California2

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »

To Big Decision:

I hope you understand that your MD or anyone else can only help you to the extent you give complete and accurate information.

You lengthened quite a bit -- 7.5 CM; not a small amount.  Then, you corrected one leg .5 CM in one day -- why?

No matter why you did what you did, it seems you should expect that your feet will be "dead" for awhile given the specific course of your lengthening.

Are you wearing compression stockings?

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2019, 11:30:21 PM »

7,5cm is a good amount,  but there are people who lengthen more and they are ok
Go for it

Big Decision

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2019, 12:27:03 AM »

Not wearing compression stockings  waiting to meet my physiotherapist and ask about right compression stockings.
I don't have much info about it

InFullStryde

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2019, 12:33:26 AM »

5mm in one day... That had to hurt.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

California2

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2019, 12:40:09 AM »

To Big Decision:

I found compression stockings to be almost immediately beneficial.  It seems the compression reduces the pain associated with edema AND squeezes out the excess fluid.

Also, if any of your pin sites are still draining; the compression stockings will help dry things up--just get two pairs so one can be cleaned while you wear the other.

I suspect your concerns will begin to resolve themselves as you rest, eat, sleep, and get stronger.  For me, I felt a little better everyday.

However, it seems like you might benefit from a physical therapist 3x per week.

wannagrowtaller

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2019, 12:59:56 AM »

5mm in one day... That had to hurt.
This.
Go for it

TemakiSushi

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2019, 04:05:46 AM »

Please please think about
Heinrich's Law:

in a workplace, for every accident that causes a major injury, there are 29 accidents that cause minor injuries and 300 accidents that cause no injuries.

In Russia there has been too many nerve damage problems
In the future someone may get more severe permanent nerve damages

Anyone considering Russia should be aware of the higher risk
Even with femurs there have been nerve complications

How come some people don’t feel the pangs of conscience after knowing the fact and keep promoting Russia still
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

Big Decision

« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »

Hi California,

Could u send me a link to what compression stockings I should go for,  it seems there are many with different size...

California2

« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »

To Big Decision:

Here is a link to an ad about compression stockings:  https://www.riteaid.com/articles/the-benefits-of-compression-socks-should-you-be-wearing-them

Socks are sized based on your calf and ankle circumference and shank length.  Medium support grade is fine.  Compression socks should be hard to put on at first; however, they will should loosen up in a few days.

I do not know what Country your are in, but you should be able to get compression socks from your healthcare system, a medical supply store, drug stores (like Rite-Aid, Walgreen's, and CVS), and Walmart or Target.  (I got my first pair from Walmart--tried on a few pairs until I was happy).  Later, my MD prescribed a couple of pair that fit even better.

California2

« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »

To TemakiSushi:

In Russia there has been too many nerve damage problems
In the future someone may get more severe permanent nerve damages

Anyone considering Russia should be aware of the higher risk
Even with femurs there have been nerve complications

What nonsense is this? 

Did you review all of the LL medical records for each cosmetic patient the world over; then, identify complications (especially "nerve damage" complications); then, sort the per patient rate of complications by Country to conclude that "In Russia there has been too many nerve damage problems"?

Of course you didn't!  No one has that kind of information. 

Yet, you spread derogatory information as if it were fact with "no pangs of conscience".

I don't care where you go for LL or if you go.  If you are in love with Donghoon Lee; then, more power to you.  I don't know him and I am not going to besmirch him or Korea in effort to encourage others to avoid him.

I am knowledgeable about the Solomin/Kulesh team.  From my personal experience and detailed investigation, I am extremely pleased with my choice.  I doubt I would have received better care and expertise for external lengthening at any price.  For me, the cherry on top is that I received such quality care at one of the lowest prices in the industry.

Add your uniformed commentary to the peanut gallery if you must, but uniformed commentary benefits no one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up