Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123248 times)

TemakiSushi

Dear InFullStryde

Thank you very very much for detailed diary everyday :D
It’s really exciting to read this!!!

Do you use dorsiflexion boots at night?
LL veterans say these boots are tough to sleep with
How do you manage sleeping with them?
Plan to have Stryde TIBIAS surgery with Donghoon
Welcome any NEGATIVE information of Donghoon
Any doctor with more than 5% complication rate is NOT acceptable

Singapore

Good update Fullstryde. I am curious about the working out part as I am also interested in training my upper body during this process. May I ask what kind of exercises did you do? Do you think its possible to train with weight at this stage? I want to work on my chest. Thank you!

InFullStryde

Dear InFullStryde

Thank you very very much for detailed diary everyday :D
It’s really exciting to read this!!!

Do you use dorsiflexion boots at night?
LL veterans say these boots are tough to sleep with
How do you manage sleeping with them?

Hi Temaki! My pleasure to keep everyone updated! Since I am lengthening my femurs; I don't believe the boots are needed.  Currently, I just stretch and walk with walker as much as I can tolerate.  I also get deep tissue massage for my upper legs 3 times a week to help break down restricted muscles.   My sleeping was pretty bad for the first 2-3 weeks, but now, I'm so tired that I fall asleep pretty good.
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

InFullStryde

Good update Fullstryde. I am curious about the working out part as I am also interested in training my upper body during this process. May I ask what kind of exercises did you do? Do you think its possible to train with weight at this stage? I want to work on my chest. Thank you!

Hi Singapore! I know what you mean about wanting to work out.   I have lost several lbs and some upper body muscle the first 3 weeks.  I am starting to work out again. I use this tool for my upper body: https://www.bowflex.com/home-gyms/x2se/100334.html?adID=DOFG2GFEED1&psearch=1&ds_rl=1261912&gclid=Cj0KCQiAheXiBRD-ARIsAODSpWNeqEp-lbTSVQpNS6umzPte_DLof3xSi6b85o0HkGMSQvOjLuxXB3QaAnNzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

I found one used for about $799.   I am able to work out all upper body safely.  The key for me was to maintain and maybe do some building; but to remain 100% safe.  After I am done with LL i will hit gym hard again. I think this machine will maintain me pretty good. Cables are safer then free weights, right now.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

wannagrowtaller

Did you ask him about stem cell treatment for all patients?
Go for it

InFullStryde

Did you ask him about stem cell treatment for all patients?

Hi Wannagrowtaller.  I'll see him next Friday during my check up and will ask him for us.    Have a great day!

wannagrowtaller

Thanks, bro.

If its not a lot, ask him how he treats equinus deformity/ballerina foot with stryde on tibia. If he performs achilles tendom lengthening.
Go for it

Singapore

Oh Wow.. Its such a convenience for you to be able to do it at home  :D  I was just thinking about lying on the bed and use some light weight dumbbells for exercises :D

InFullStryde

Oh Wow.. Its such a convenience for you to be able to do it at home  :D  I was just thinking about lying on the bed and use some light weight dumbbells for exercises :D

Hi Singapore! Yes, I'm very lucky I am able to do my lengthening from home. I live only about 45 minutes from the Dr. office and the hospital also.   In my home, I have setup a home gym for fitness during CLL and a office with computer and 3 monitors, for remote working.   This has helped me very much.

InFullStryde

Day 34 - Journey Continues... 1 more day to 1 inch! [2.377 Centimeters Taller]

Greetings LL'ers,

Another day is out of the way.  I'm 1 more day away from being at 1 inch taller.  It feels good to be a bit taller.

Here is my status for today:

Pain: For most of the day while resting legs, low pain 1 - 3. While Walking, 3 -4...  My PT session has caused me to feel pretty sore. The most painful movements for me are anything that involves rotation of my legs outwardly.   I feel soreness and pains on the outer side of my hips and needless to say it stings.  Nonetheless, the PT pushes me through the pain and he still proceeds and contorting my body.  He knows I need to go that ways; so he makes it so.    I ended up walking (with the walker), a bit much today as well. So I'm just feeling beat up; in a good way.  I always say that if you feel a bit tired and beat up after PT; they are likely doing their job well. I'd say my pain level at PT was about a 5/6 at times and afterward, I'm feeling a dull pain of about 3....its uncomfortable but bearable.

Activities today: Worked 8 hours, worked out for 1 hour, rested, and did PT. 

Flexibility and movement: Nothing new to report here.  I still have decent range of motion, meaning, I can bring my knee up to my chest, while laying down, I can go past 90 degrees when bending my toe back to my butt (while laying doing), and I can still keep my legs straight.   I am starting to feel some tug on my hamstring muscles now that I have entered into the 1 inch range.   I'll keep you all posted as I work toward inch number 2.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!  Have a great rest of your day.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:39:43 AM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

Day 35 - Milestone reached... [1 Inch Taller!]

Well my fellow LL'ers, I did it. I reached 1 entire inch or roughly 2.5 centimeters of new height.   It feels good. Here are the LL symptoms I'm experiencing right now for future LL'ers to take note of.

LL Symptoms

-Pain is 1-3 while in a resting legs mode, 3-4 while walking with walker,  5+ during PT
-Have random pains spring up from time to time that go away randomly. Had knee pain the other night and it went away during the daytime.  Just today a new inner thigh pain showed up in side leg. Not terrible, but irritating...i sense it will be gone within a couple of days.
-Starting to feel tight and rubber bandy.
-For past week, I have been trading off the sore leg.  Left leg was sore, then right leg, now its back to the left leg.  Give it a couple of days, I'm sure it will be the right again, lol.
- I am 100% walker.   Yes, I can walk on Stryde nails unassisted!; but I'm not balanced or stable enough. I have 1" gaps in my bones and I'm only 35 days out of surgery; of course, I'll be using some assistance to be safe. Last thing I want to do is fall and be rushed back into surgery.
-When walking, my hips sway a bit and I am compensating for the weak leg muscles. Best to not over do it and risk injury. Back to walker.
-No sign of swelling, redness, bruising, numbness or tingling
-I do feel some soreness immediately after I do my lengthening treatment

What I am able to do?

-Pretty much everything I need to including..
-Prepare my food
-Clean up, shower
-Work 8+ hours a day on computer
-Workout upper body on bow-flex
-Go outside on my balcony and get some natural sun and air
-Play video games, watch movies
-Spend time with family and friends

Physical Therapy

-7 Days a week
-3 Days with Outpatient clinic professional
-2 Days with Sister
-2 Days I do my own PT
-Every Day, i stretch on my own 2-3 times per day.

Diet

Healthy. I drink a lot of milk and eat high protein.
Vitamin D pills

Pain Management

Tramadol and Tylenol PM as needed

Sleeping

I am sleeping pretty good now; simply because the LL process tires you out.   
Sleeping mainly on back still.  I can get to my side but do not want to risk any sudden movements that could strain my weaker hips/glutes.

What is the hardest part so far about LL, so far?

-Everything you do is tougher.  Whether is showering or preparing a meal; you are thinking about your legs and protecting them from damage.
-The day can get long and monotonous.  You're used to flying around with your legs and frollicing about from one place to another.  Not with LL. With LL you are like a turtle... point A to point B and back again.
-Social interaction with outside world is limited.  Sure the internet offers that; but You won't be able to go out routinely.  You will miss that for a while.
-You're always in pain. Level 1 pain or greater...you will always feel some kind of pain. It's bearable; but there is no escaping it.

It will all be worth it; once you have your inches and are recovered.
---

This is a true journey I do admit.   You go through your ups and downs but you just have to remain patient and I realize that you just have to push through the  pain.  My next follow up visit with Dr. M is Friday the 15th, so I look forward to seeing how my legs are doing.  I'll update my diary with new x-rays and feedback.

Thank you again and best regards! let em know if you have any questions.

InFullStryde

Day 36 - Journey Continues... Race to 2 inches begins today...! [2.534 cm or 1.00118 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Another day in another way.

Here is my status for today:

Pain: Not to bad now. The pain medication helped to tame the morning pain I was experiencing.   Both legs seemed to have an issue today.  My right leg is feeling tight and had some knee pain. Currently, it feels fine.   Also, my left leg decided to be sore again and I'm not able to bear too much weight on it at the moment. Fortunately it is not sensitive to the touch; so I'm still okay to move around and get around via walker.  One more added item that was rather nice.... I had no pain while lengthening today. 

Flexibility and movement: I'm feeling some tightness in the hammy's.  We'll see how this goes.  I'm 24 day away from 2"....so I'm going to have to work hard!  I'm moving around okay via walker right now.

Today's' Activities: I worked out for 1 hour, I did PT 3 times, and worked for about 8 hours, remotely via my computer.

That's all for now guys!

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!  Have a great rest of your day.

InFullStryde

Delete post

MichaelJose

Hey bud - I really want to do this but crippled by proportion concerns.

I wear a shirt and suit trousers to work and honestly I have decent height from my legs - it's my torso that is short.

How do I make a call on this? Is this something you discussed at your pre op consultation?

Is there a mathematical approach I can take to this? I just fear the 5/6/7/8cm might not be worth it if everytime I wear a tucked in shirt I look silly.

Thanks pal

InFullStryde

Hey bud - I really want to do this but crippled by proportion concerns.

I wear a shirt and suit trousers to work and honestly I have decent height from my legs - it's my torso that is short.

How do I make a call on this? Is this something you discussed at your pre op consultation?

Is there a mathematical approach I can take to this? I just fear the 5/6/7/8cm might not be worth it if everytime I wear a tucked in shirt I look silly.

Thanks pal

Hi Michael! How tall are you?

Honestly, buddy, 2-3 inches of height on your legs will look fine.  You will not look out of proportion and it will only be an improvement. Even if you torso is short; the extra leg height will look good on you.  Don't worry about your proportions, in my opinion. If being taller is something you want badly then go for this surgery and get it over with.   Stay within 5cm-8cm....(You'll know when to stop)...and enjoy your new height! Message me if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:53:03 AM by InFullStryde »

MirinHeight

Hi Michael! How tall are you?

Honestly, buddy, 2-3 inches of height on your legs will look fine.  You will not look out of proportion and it will only be an improvement. Even if you torso is short; the extra leg height will look good on you.  Don't worry about your proportions, in my opinion. If being taller is something you want badly then go for this surgery and get it over with.   Stay within 5cm-8cm....(You'll know when to stop)...and enjoy your new height! Message me if you have any questions.

hey man i love your diary.
I just had a question about the hip swaying when using internal nails. After going through this surgery and 1 month post op, do you personally believe that internal tibias using stryde will be better for full weight bearing with stryde since you do not have to worry about hip swaying? I personally believe you can get to normal walking faster when doing internal stryde tibias since you do not have to worry about mechanical axis and hips. What are your personal thoughts on this and have you seen any pts that have done internal stryde tibias at Mahboubian's clinic?

thank you for your time on this diary
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

MichaelJose

I'm 168cm so 5'6'.

Yeah I want it ofcourse but need to consider whether it's the right decision.

How are you feeling about proportions now you're 1 inch taller?

Jubartt169

Michael, I'm also 5'6'' 1,68

You said your torso is short... I would like to know your tibia and femurs size.

Because most part of diferent heights is in leg bones, that made me curious
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:53:42 AM by Jubartt169 »

InFullStryde

hey man i love your diary.
I just had a question about the hip swaying when using internal nails. After going through this surgery and 1 month post op, do you personally believe that internal tibias using stryde will be better for full weight bearing with stryde since you do not have to worry about hip swaying? I personally believe you can get to normal walking faster when doing internal stryde tibias since you do not have to worry about mechanical axis and hips. What are your personal thoughts on this and have you seen any pts that have done internal stryde tibias at Mahboubian's clinic?

thank you for your time on this diary

Great question, Mirinheight!

Honestly, I'm not sure.  Conceptually, I feel like you would be right.   I haven't given to much thought to this.  I sense though based on what I know about the lower leg extremity that there is less mobility requirements to manage physically for the patient; so you could be right there.   I know the doctors prefer femurs on their end, since there are less complications involving bone growth, etc. I know that many really like the growing potential of the femur as well since Tibia growing gains potential is a few cm less.    I'll think on this one more but I might agree with you here.  The hips, etc...there is so much circular moving involved here, where as the tibias, its up back and forth/up and down movement, mostly.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 06:17:33 PM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

I'm 168cm so 5'6'.

Yeah I want it of course but need to consider whether it's the right decision.

How are you feeling about proportions now you're 1 inch taller?

My proportions are looking good at an added 1".  I plan on adding another 1"+ with this procedure.  I believe everything will look natural.

MichaelJose

Michael, I'm also 5'6'' 1,68

You said your torso is short... I would like to know your tibia and femurs size.

Because most part of diferent heights is in leg bones, that made me curious

I can pm you and InFullStryde a picture if you want - it would be great to get your POVs chaps.

InFullStryde

I can pm you and InFullStryde a picture if you want - it would be great to get your POVs chaps.

Hi Michael! Sure. Send to me. I will give you my honest opinion.

Jubartt169

Send to me. I'll be honest too.

InFullStryde

Day 37 - Journey Continues...Tough morning but very good day...! [2.643 cm or 1.0406 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was overall pretty darn good. I will say that the night time during my sleeping hours and early morning was very tough.   I felt extremely tight during the early hours and felt pain in my knees.  I was able to remedy this quickly; by simply getting up out of bed.  I'm seriously considering sleeping in a reclining type chair. The bed just feels terrible on my legs.  LL legs do not like to be laying flat, straight all night.  Once I got up and moving and began my morning ritual, everything was just fine.

Pain: Morning and night time was about a 5 or 6. It was very uncomfortable.  Throughout the day, I experienced mostly a dull pain of 2 or 3 and mainly in my left leg.  I do have some good news however. If you have been following my diary, you recently learned that my left leg was again giving me issues..and i could not bear weight on it. Well good news is that the left leg is felt much better today and I was able to bear weight. I even took a few unassisted steps on it.   I kind of regret that however because it is a bit sore.   I need to lay off the legs while their being lengthened.  Some controlled exercise is fine; but don't push it.

Flexibility and movement:
I'm feeling tightness in the quads, hams and knees.  I can still straighten my knees and have pretty good ROM, however, I'm keeping a close watch over my tightness.  I'm stretching as much as I can at this point as to stave off the tightness the best I can. 

Today's' Activities:
I worked out for 1 hour, I did PT  and worked for a few hours. I'm going to hang out with my friend tonight.  She just is coming over to my place for some NetFlix and Chill.

Overall, I'm doing pretty okay.  I'm just not sure how to assess my tightness. It's really a day to day thing.  I appear to have a pretty good ROM. I'm past 90 in most of the advanced stretches and still have a straight leg.  We'll see how the next week or so of lengthening impacts me! I'm 24 days from 2 inches taller. It feels like an eternity at this stage.  I know, i know...it will go by fast.

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon,

Cr7

Hi
Great update as always. If you wouldn’t mind could you ask dr M during your next visit about the long term complication after 10-20 years down the line like residual pain especially arthritis. It would be of immense help of knowing the view of an expert doctor as recently a thread was started reagarding arthritis after Cll. Also I have read somewhere on the forum that for every 1 cm of lengthening in the femur along the anatomical axis there is a shift of 1mm in the mechanical axis which can affect the joints.
There is no compulsion that you ask this but if you can then it would be of immense help as this is one of the most feared long term complication.

I think ur recovery and lengthening will keep on going smoothly. Best of my wishes to you.

InFullStryde

Hi
Great update as always. If you wouldn’t mind could you ask dr M during your next visit about the long term complication after 10-20 years down the line like residual pain especially arthritis. It would be of immense help of knowing the view of an expert doctor as recently a thread was started reagarding arthritis after Cll. Also I have read somewhere on the forum that for every 1 cm of lengthening in the femur along the anatomical axis there is a shift of 1mm in the mechanical axis which can affect the joints.
There is no compulsion that you ask this but if you can then it would be of immense help as this is one of the most feared long term complication.

I think ur recovery and lengthening will keep on going smoothly. Best of my wishes to you.

Thank you, CR7...I see him this Friday, and I will ask this question for the community.   Appreciate the great question and thank you for the well wishes. So far so good. I'll keep everyone updated.

epikness

Thqnk you very much for the reply to my PM. I am also interested in long term effects as well. I have korea friend that is going to ask Mr.Donghoon for long term risks of tibia lengthening(3~4.5cm).

I hope my cousin has good result like you in the near future when he do it ;)

InFullStryde

Thqnk you very much for the reply to my PM. I am also interested in long term effects as well. I have korea friend that is going to ask Mr.Donghoon for long term risks of tibia lengthening(3~4.5cm).

I hope my cousin has good result like you in the near future when he do it ;)

My pleasure. If you have more questions let me know.  CLL is probably the hardest thing any one person will ever go through in their entire life.  Really think it through.  With the right doctor the outcome will very likely be rewarding and special.

InFullStryde

Day 38 Post Op - Journey Continues...Smooth Day, Two Fairly Strong Legs, FINALLY [2.743cm or 1.0799 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was a good one.  I am pleased to announce that both my left leg and right leg, feel strong; meaning that there are no nagging pains which are causing me to over compensate.  This is important in so many ways.  Number 1, my stress and over all level of contentment go way up when I'm not experiencing sharp LL pain.   Number 2, PT is way easier when I am able to enjoy the massage they give me and focus on deep stretching. When I have one of the leg pains; you can imagine how tough it is to experience any  of the PT treatment.  I hope that the leg strengthening continues.   I'll keep you all posted.

Pain:  Again, in the night and early morning, the pain is at it's peak for me. I would give it a 5 to 6.  When the legs are being held in one position, especially, straight on a bed for the entire night there is just trouble to be had later.  I'm hoping that this will subside soon.   My main pain point as far as this goes would be just one spot on my right leg to be honest. One one little spot on my knee, after doing a laying down stretch, following maybe 8 hours in bed...I feel a small steady pain. It goes away within 5-10 minutes of me stretching and standing up. I believe this has to do with me being in one position the entire night. I think I am putting undue stress on an area that is trying to get through lengthening.  I'll keep you all posted on this.

Flexibility and movement:  Definitely tightness in quads, hams, and a bit in the knee area. Nothing that is stopping my range of motion. It's just a bit less fluid while bending. Much of this should be resolved with PT and go away after distraction phase.  Overall, the feeling is tolerable.  I can take baby steps unassisted. Prefer to use walker for balance and to work on my motion, gait, etc.

Today's' Activities: I did PT and worked for a few hours. I got in some rest...off and on, snoozed for a bit.

Overall, it was a pretty decent day.  I ordered a 180 degree reclining chair and also plan to begin taking warm baths every day beggining in a couple of days. I'll keep you posted on how that impacts my legs. I know it will feel good if nothing else.

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon

InFullStryde

Day 39 Post Op - Journey Continues...Low on Energy; High on Motivation [2.809cm or 1.106 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

I have to admit. I feel a bit drained today.  I'm pretty sure I know the source.   CLL takes you way off your routine and I'm just feeling the drag now.  I used to wake up every day at 4:00am and like a lightning bolt hit the gym. I'd be in the office ready to with my fresh hot cup of coffee by 7:00am or sooner and I'd spend the day in my office chasing that big dream I have for my company.  I'd then get home around 5:30pm - 6:00pm with the entire evening to myself to enjoy however I pleased.   No pain, no struggle...just living life.  Well CLL, is tough because you struggle to sleep at night, you have constant dull pain (bearable) that stays with you and as a result you are taken off the path you're accustomed too.  I'm fighting with all my might however because CLL became apart of my big picture vision.   I'm only several weeks away from being done with the distraction phase which is the hardest part. I will hang in strong.  Sleeping is what really got me today... I didn't fall asleep until many 3:00am'ish and I was awake by 7:00am to tend to things.   That will wipe you out.  I'm going to try to be in bed by 9:30pm today and asleep by 10pm.  I need a good nights sleep.

Pain: The pain is dull and consistent throughout the day. I do not have any sharp pain any longer and I hope that remains the story. I'd say pain is at about a 2 or 3....not bad at all and very bearable.  The cm's I am gaining is so worth this pain; but it does zap your energy after a while.   I'm hoping that tomorrow, while I am more rested, I feel less of the dullness.   I have to remember also, that now that my femur is stretched over 1 inch and counting; that I'm going to feel all kinds of unique sensations in my leg.  Pain again, is worse at night

Flexibility and movement: I felt more stronger today than ever in terms of my legs strength.  My flexibility is increased 20 degrees in 2 week in terms of rotational movement of my knee/hip joint, and I have "Okay" ROM all around.   I can walk strongly on walker and take baby steps unassisted as well on the Stryde nails.  So, good progress here. 

Today's' Activities: I did PT and worked for most of the day. Was feeling very tired due to lack of sleep so didn't feel so hot today.

Overall, it was still a decent day and bearable.   I'm in the dog days of CLL now... right in the middle as a approach 1.5 inches of length gained.  Im going to push as far as i can go within a safe range.  This is tough; but I know it will be worth it. It's already life changing.

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:40:33 AM by InFullStryde »

InFullStryde

Day 40 Post Op - Journey Continues... A bit under the weather; but still a bit taller. [2.909cm or 1.1145 inches Taller!]

Greetings LL'ers,

Today was another tough one. I'm feeling under the weather to be honest.  Hopefully not a cold coming on.  My temperature is fine but overall just feeling a tad sluggish physically.  I should be able to snap out of it shortly.  Overall though, a quite decent day.

Pain: Dull pain 1 - 2, throughout the day. Sometimes you forget about it; and sometimes it comes back to your mind.   Movement wise, not much pain either, maybe a 2 - 3. Overall, pain is in check.

Flexibility and movement:
Legs, definitely feel stronger; but I'm feeling tightness in hamstrings and quads, and particular the hamstrings. (Stretch those Hamms!).  Will be an interesting push forward now.

Today's' Activities: I worked for a full day, worked out for 1 hour, and did PT a few times.

A good day overall; but again feeling a little under the weather, so that aggravates things a bit. Hope to feel better tomorrow!

Okay Guys, if you have any questions, feel free to let me know.  Talk soon and best regards.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:22:56 AM by InFullStryde »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32   Go Up