Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Diary - January 2019 - In Full Stryde with Dr. Mahboubian of North Hollywood.  (Read 123513 times)

InFullStryde

How tall are you?

Hi Franco!  I was 5'1" and now I am just a bit over 5'4".  In a strong soled sneaker shoes, I'm about 5'6.

Thank you for your question. Feel free to reach out if I can help answer any other inquires for you.

Guys, I'll have another update this week.  Currently, I am updating my diary about every 2 weeks.  I'm coasting nicely through my recovery now. Walking 100% and can walk a few miles at a time (before requiring a brief rest).  I am meeting with Dr. M this week and will have my 7 month post-op x-rays, a new video of my walk and some other movements I can do now; as well as a summary of where I am at now with the CLL process.   

Grateful to all of you who have been kind, supportive, and helped me through this very special journey.   Also, I am noticing an increase in diaries overall and that is so great to see.   This forum is so helpful.   I hope the entire world can soon go Stryde nail so that each corner of the globe shall reap it's benefit.   

All the best,

IFS

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:48:50 PM by InFullStryde »
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

InFullStryde

Hey IFS!
I‘m in 8 weeks consolidation now.
Would recommend me to ride the homebike or walking with crutches?

Hi WantTaller, I'll message your privately on this item.
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020

Cpl2012

Hi Infullstride. Could you please summarize how much does it cost you for the whole procedure? Other than wha you paid the Dr, what else you have to pay? Like PT sessions? I remember you said that PT paid ny insurance if i were right. What insurance do you have btw?
Thank you and congrats !! Im planning to have my done next year with DR M

InFullStryde

Hi Infullstride. Could you please summarize how much does it cost you for the whole procedure? Other than wha you paid the Dr, what else you have to pay? Like PT sessions? I remember you said that PT paid ny insurance if i were right. What insurance do you have btw?
Thank you and congrats !! Im planning to have my done next year with DR M

Hi Cpl,

I'm glad to assist.  I will try to come up with a more precise figure for you soon; however I would estimate that the general supplies needed for me, including a wheelchair, walker, crutches, cane, meal delivery, transportation to/from PT and Dr. office, and other general supplies, came out to about $1,000-$1,500, range.   

My prescription medicines and PT were both mainly covered by my Health Insurance which is a Health Net PPO.  My Co-Pay was about $25 per prescription or per PT Session....So in doing the math on that....I've had about 60 formal PT sessions roughly through 7 months - So the cost of that has been about $1500-$2000 

This is a great question.  One must keep in mind that there are auxiliary costs outside of the surgery to consider.   Also, there is some off-setting of course. You won't be going out much or driving; so you will save substantially on that....as well as other costs saving as a result of your lesser activity during CLL.  Also note, that I lengthened at home and did not need to book a hotel...Also, Dr M is local to where I live, so no hefty transportation fees for Air Travel, Train, etc.  I also own my own company; So I was able to work remotely the entire time I was going through CLL.   I took 90 days out of the office; but still worked remotely and I didn't have any pressure from the "Boss'....well...I did..but I pressured myself. LOL.  The CLL process was as convenient as a CLL process can be since I am a business owner with employees which handle my company operations and I live close to Dr. M offices.

The Surgery for me was $72,500...+ $1500 (supplies) + $2000 (PT + prescriptions.)   I'd say, all in all, I spent about $75,000-$76000) for everything. 
I hope this answers your question! 

All the best,

IFS
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:06:59 PM by InFullStryde »

Movie

Hi Franco!  I was 5'1" and now I am just a bit over 5'4".  In a strong soled sneaker shoes, I'm about 5'6.

Thank you for your question. Feel free to reach out if I can help answer any other inquires for you.

Guys, I'll have another update this week.  Currently, I am updating my diary about every 2 weeks.  I'm coasting nicely through my recovery now. Walking 100% and can walk a few miles at a time (before requiring a brief rest).  I am meeting with Dr. M this week and will have my 7 month post-op x-rays, a new video of my walk and some other movements I can do now; as well as a summary of where I am at now with the CLL process.   

Grateful to all of you who have been kind, supportive, and helped me through this very special journey.   Also, I am noticing an increase in diaries overall and that is so great to see.   This forum is so helpful.   I hope the entire world can soon go Stryde nail so that each corner of the globe shall reap it's benefit.   

All the best,

IFS

great to hear you officially say youre walking back at 100% IFS! May you continue a great recovery and hopefully stay with us for a little while, I know most vets disappear after their process
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

InFullStryde

great to hear you officially say youre walking back at 100% IFS! May you continue a great recovery and hopefully stay with us for a little while, I know most vets disappear after their process

Thank you, Movie.  Welcome to your first CLL Monday!  I can tell you're doing great.  Your positive attitude is everything through this process.  I'm going to stick around for sure.   I really appreciated all the help I got from veterans and I'd like to return the favor to new and prospect CLL'ers. 

All the Best,

IFS

FutureManuteBol

Hi IFS

Since the femurs are naturally tilted in, did you have any problems with the lengthening throwing off the mechanical axis of your legs and causing x legs or knock knees? I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't cause this, but I guess you would know the best.

InFullStryde

Hi IFS

Since the femurs are naturally tilted in, did you have any problems with the lengthening throwing off the mechanical axis of your legs and causing x legs or knock knees? I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't cause this, but I guess you would know the best.

That is a great question.  As for my situation, fortunately, no apparent x-legs or knock knees, by either feel or appearance.  The legs are the same function with just a longer femur.  The main issue that I had to deal with was the tightness of the rectus femoris muscle, a quadriceps muscle, that wraps it self around the pelvis. As it tightens it created the slight anterior pelvic tilt.  That certainly is an awkward feeling that impacts your walk and can be rather painful on your lower back.  Fortunately, with PT, plenty of walking and with time, my ATP subsided and it no longer noticeable and hardly felt.  It should dissipate by 100% within the next few months if my best guess serves me well.

Having said all this... stretching out those femurs certainly has an impact on so many muscle groups and it's an adjustment for sure. Getting used to walking on long femurs is a unique experience.  You get used to it and it looks and feels more natural to me now. I'll upload my 7-month walking video shortly for review.   

Keep the questions coming guys. I'm here to help.

Thank you and all the best,

IFS

tom paul 24

Hi IFS
I was wondering if you had to do the IT band release.I don't know much about IT band so that's why i'm asking.
And if yes how much did it cost?

InFullStryde

Hi IFS
I was wondering if you had to do the IT band release.I don't know much about IT band so that's why i'm asking.
And if yes how much did it cost?

Hi Tom!

All the United States based doctors will cut your IT band by default.  A person with average or even above average flexibility will struggle to gain 3 inches if they do not lengthen the IT band.   The cost of IT Band release is included in the surgery I paid for Dr. M services and I believe it is the same with Dr. D, Dr. P, or Dr. R.  (All appear to be reliable doctors). 

InFullStryde

Hi CLL Team,

Just a quick update - I had my 7 month post-op with Dr. M on Tuesday 8/6. I will be creating a walking video tomorrow and will post my 7 month update with X-Rays, Video, and Procedure Status Plus Recap, over the weekend.

Stay Tuned!

All the Best,

IFS

JsElysianEagle

Amazing news IFS and congrats on coming this far in your journey. Eagerly awaiting the video upload! Cheers!

InFullStryde

Success.
« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2019, 12:17:34 AM »

(Friday) Day 218 Post Op - Day 125 Consolidation/Recovery Phase - DISTRACTION COMPLETED...[7.5 cm Achieved / 3 inches Taller!]

Greetings Fellow CLLers,

What a ride this has been for me.  I am now at the 7 month post-operation point and I must say that I'm breath taken by the experiences I have undergone through all this time.   For those of you who have followed me throughout my journey; I'm sure you feel to some extent that you have taken this trip along side of me.  I can recall updating my diary each and every day throughout the oh so challenging and at time, scary, distraction phase. We then toured together through the early stages of consolidation and ultimately as necessity functions such as walking, squatting, twisting, etc began to return....you and I were able to taper off this voyage...no longer worried, now just coasting along excited at what the future now holds. 

I encourage each prospective CLL'er and current CLL'er to review my diary as I documented the good and the bad of this very special event.   An elective surgery to be taller, Yes AND and also....An election of happiness, an election of comfort and an election to be free.   Everything in life is perspective and I knew what I wanted.  My decision and my drive to undergo and be successful at the CLL procedure was 100% a decision of mine.  I do this for me.   My entire life, I succeeded at just about anything I put my heart and mind to.  Height never stopped me from pursuing or succeeding in any particular area where I truly gave it my all...but I must say when looking back at my life the only thing that I didn't do very well was "grow taller".  I never want or wanted to be a tall man; because that isn't who I am.  I'm a handsome and successful man who carried a height attribute that society has deemed as "Short".  I'm okay with that because I'm a believer that Height doesn't make the Man...Man makes the Height.  My goal through all of this was to be successful and for my body to be responsible for growing again. Growing taller than I was.  The 3 inches I have gained allows me to close this chapter.  I've conquered "growing"...because I did it and my body did it on its own...with a little help from a great Doctor, Physical Therapists, the Stryde Nail, My Family, and you guys. That's right....you guys and your kind words, support and watchful eyes on my journal helped me get through this more than you know. I consider you my friends and I will be remaining on the forum for the long run to help each of you in anyway I can to get through your height dysphoria, your CLL procedure; and to even just provide some anecdotal words that perhaps can help you along the greater journey of this life. 

I want to add that one of the great things, in my opinion, about my particular experience is that my physical condition prior to CLL was not exceptional in anyway really.  I am a man, in his late 30's now.  I had very tight hips, and I rarely ever worked out my legs since the days of High School Sports.  I worked out my upper body quite a bit; but honestly really neglected to push my legs. Most of my time was spent sitting down in chairs working on computers.   My point being that if anything, my CLL journal likely reflects someone who could very well have started several paces behind you as far as being ideal or "ready" for this journey.   That's a good thing!  If I can do it; I feel that most people can do this.  I want to mention also...that I knew this. I knew I was in my late 30's; had extremely tight hips, and my leg strength was nothing to brag about...and with this knowledge I pushed my self even harder during the process. I stretched and strengthened by legs 3 times a day, every day for nearly 5 months before I settled down a bit; having needing to reenter normal life.   You all can do this; I know you can do it. 

Lastly, in summary... I am grateful to have had a Doctor, in Dr. M that has the experience and knowledge to know, with confidence, what my body could handle.  With tight hips; he still green lighted me for the surgery...he knew I could still do it.  When I was feeling tight at 2 inches...he encouraged me to keep going.... tight at 2.5 inches... keep going; your flexibility is good enough and you can achieve 3...."Okay, Doctor...if you say I'm good; I'll go forward." He was right.   I had zero complications; my surgery scars are light and a non-issue, and the experience of Dr. M allowed me to push to 3 inches which now make such a positive difference in my life.   My pain levels were extremely tolerable throughout and the responsiveness of Dr. M to my emails and phone inquiries were nearly instant.   I know he's proud of his successful patients and frankly, I'm proud of him too.   

Below I have posted a 7 month post-op video along with X-Rays.   I'm walking 100% of the time and my gait and other abilities of my legs is coming along very nicely and I do not feel any pain or discomfort . I can walk a 2+ miles without having to stop and rest and I am getting better each and every day.  I still have a ways to go and I understand that in the coming months I'll be able to return to being very close if not all the way back to 100%.   The Stryde nail is truly a game changer and I would recommend this surgery to anyone who is physically and mentally fit to proceed.

Again, thank you for EVERYTHING and I'm still here with you guys.  I'll close out on this quote that I live by each and every day...

"Make the VERY BEST of what you have; Make what you have the VERY BEST"

All the Best,

IFS

-----

Me walking at 7 months and doing other silly movements:

My X-Rays which show that my bones are fully fused, and healing very well.....I'm well on my way to full and healthy consolidation in the coming months.

Left Leg
'

Right Leg

Movie

Super sick IFS! Walk looks good at 7 months can only get better from here! hope you stick around still for a while
Starting height: 167cm Now 175cm With Strydes Femurs with Dr. Mahboubian 09/01/2019
Nails removed 10/06/2021
My Video Logged Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64224.0

gustavklimt

• Visitor

Omg the silly movement look like you are 18 again!!!that is amazing
Bone looking good and proportion look fantastic. I’m sure waking up in the morning unconsciously always came with a smile.

cena

Good update InFullStryde. I think you still have hip sway while walking but it should hopefully go away soon,

JsElysianEagle

IFS thanks for posting another update with a video!

If you could go back in time and do things differently to prepare for the surgery, what would you do? How helpful do you think stretching would have been for your hamstrings etc? What exercises would you suggest to prospective CLLers?

Thanks!!!

massco

I have been following this forum for a few weeks now.
Definitely you have been the most inspiring user I have seen till now. ( since I am new I havent fully read about older CLLER´s)
Taking into account you went the full 3 inches and most people here reccomend not going over 6.5 cm femur, ¿ what is your opinion on this?

Your proportions look excellent. After watching this I would consider going for the full 3 inches as you did.
My initial height is pretty much the same as yours. ( 5.2)

Jubartt169

You're doing like a champ!

By the way, do you feel any kinda of pain while walking or in other ramdom moments of the day ?

TheAlchemist

IFS I've kept up with your journey since the days of your initial distraction throughout all the highs and the lows........watching the outcome from your 7 month vid is nothing short of amazing. Your walk and gait look natural. I'm so happy for you brother. Thank you for taking the time to *continue* to share your journey with us!

Couple of questions:

1) After sitting for extended periods, when you stand up, is your walk immediately natural now or does it take time for you to transition to feel comfortable / walk normal? I remember you mentioned that after sitting your walk takes time to feel normal.

2) Have you tried jogging yet?

3) Are there any real world / practical limitations? (e.g. can you bend down and pick things up from the floor?)

4) You mentioned you were going to write an update to your journal to address the psychological aspect of your height neurosis and how this experiences has provided you freedom from that. Would love to hear about that!

Thanks!
Dr. Paley Patient: Femurs (Stryde) / 8 CM gained
Surgery: 9/17/19 / Distraction completed: 12/14/19
Start height: 5'9 or 175cm / Endi Height: 6'0 ft or 183 cm
Rod Removal: Dr. Debiparshad 6/16/21
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=64373.0

InFullStryde

Greetings CLL Community!

Thank you for the positive feedback and great questions. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I'm here to help.  I have some messages in my private box as well that I haven't been able to get to. I'll be answering these as well shortly. More details below...

Super sick IFS! Walk looks good at 7 months can only get better from here! hope you stick around still for a while

Thank you, Man! Day by day, I will take it.  Feel free to reach out to me if you need any advice.  I'm here to help.

Omg the silly movement look like you are 18 again!!!that is amazing
Bone looking good and proportion look fantastic. I’m sure waking up in the morning unconsciously always came with a smile.

Thank you! It still hasn't sunk in! My life is changed for the better in so many ways; I can't even begin to count. Thank you, again!

Good update InFullStryde. I think you still have hip sway while walking but it should hopefully go away soon,

Thank you, Cena! I'd say the gait is about 90% there.  It feels pretty comfortable at this point.  I'm going to keep working on it and I expect in the coming months it will be 100% Thank you, again.

IFS thanks for posting another update with a video!

If you could go back in time and do things differently to prepare for the surgery, what would you do? How helpful do you think stretching would have been for your hamstrings etc? What exercises would you suggest to prospective CLLers?

Thanks!!!

I'll give you an initial answer but soon; I'll go into a more involved answer as I have more time to reflect on this question.   I believe that this procedure would have gone even smoother for me had I began to stretch and strengthen my legs 1-2 years prior to CLL.   I went into the procedure very tight and with less than average strength in my legs. It impacted my recovery quite a bit, especially immediately post surgery.  Additionally, although I'm in good shape physically, upper body wise, I would have really went all out on the body building prior to CLL ... reason being that after you initiate the surgery, you really can't lift barbells around much.  I had to resort to resistance from my Bow Flex and although it did a good job maintaining me; I'd say I lost about 10% of my strength in the upper body. I'm gaining it back. As far as other prep...I'll go into more detail in a separate post.

As far as stretches are concerned; I am convinced that there is no magic stretch for CLL'ers.   If a CLL was to YouTube Keyword "tight + hips or hamstrings or quads" + stretch; and perform the results 3 times a day during distraction and at 2 time a day from month 4-5 and then 1 time a day beyond that; you should be in great shape.  These stretches are great for pre-CLL as well.   The key is to manage the tightening that results from lengthening the muscle, by stretching out those muscles being lengthened.  Once you stop lengthening, your flexibility and posture will catch up again with the bone lengthening that took place....(as long as you stayed within 8cm).

I have been following this forum for a few weeks now.
Definitely you have been the most inspiring user I have seen till now. ( since I am new I havent fully read about older CLLER´s)
Taking into account you went the full 3 inches and most people here reccomend not going over 6.5 cm femur, ¿ what is your opinion on this?

Your proportions look excellent. After watching this I would consider going for the full 3 inches as you did.
My initial height is pretty much the same as yours. ( 5.2)

You should ABSOLUTELY go for 3 inches.  What I have learned through the CLL process is that the "6.5" safe zone really should not be a thing and I don't think that it should be emphasized the way it is on the forums.   the "6.5" is usually what people can tolerate before they really start to feel high discomfort in tightness.  Your leg can safely lengthen 8cm.  If you are determined; go to at least 7.5cm so you can maximize the benefit of CLL.   At 5'2...imagine...You lengthen to 5'5"....and if you want more height, you can easily be 5'7 or 5'8 with sneaker footwear and not a soul will notice and you will look amazing and be free of this height dysphoria.  Go 3 inches if your body can tolerate it.   Your doctor can guide you.

You're doing like a champ!

By the way, do you feel any kinda of pain while walking or in other ramdom moments of the day ?

No pain at all while walking. The pain has been gone for a while.   If I walk for 2+ miles without resting; I can feel some tiredness in the legs...I need to rest for about 5 minutes and then I can resume another couple of miles.   Pain is gone :-)

IFS I've kept up with your journey since the days of your initial distraction throughout all the highs and the lows........watching the outcome from your 7 month vid is nothing short of amazing. Your walk and gait look natural. I'm so happy for you brother. Thank you for taking the time to *continue* to share your journey with us!

Couple of questions:

1) After sitting for extended periods, when you stand up, is your walk immediately natural now or does it take time for you to transition to feel comfortable / walk normal? I remember you mentioned that after sitting your walk takes time to feel normal.

2) Have you tried jogging yet?

3) Are there any real world / practical limitations? (e.g. can you bend down and pick things up from the floor?)

4) You mentioned you were going to write an update to your journal to address the psychological aspect of your height neurosis and how this experiences has provided you freedom from that. Would love to hear about that!

Thanks!

Great Questions, guys. Here are my answers to above:

1) Hey, Alchemist, Thank you for following my journey!  Yes, indeed.  It's getting better each day.....but if i sit down for an extended period of time, say 30 minutes even...It takes me a good 10-15 warm up steps before my quads loosen up and my walking resumes as normal.   This is due to my tight quads. They aren't quite loosen enough, yet.  Will get there and hopefully I can report that this is over with by the 9 month mark,...we'll see.

2) Yes, I sure have.  I am able to do a nice, slow paced jog..look fairly natural and is an effective cardio and leg workout at this point.  I can do elliptical as well.

3) As far as real world limitations, I feel that I am able to perform all necessary movements as I was before the surgery, including bending down to pick things up.   Having said that; there are limitations still that result from me still needing to recover more..that being I am not yet athletically agile, able to leg weight train a solid amount, or perform duties that require heavy lifting from a squat position. I am squatting the bar right now at the gym.  With the current "rate" of my progress thus far; I do anticipate on being agile again and athletically inclined to participate in sports by the 1 year mark. That is my estimate. I'll keep the forum updated on the actual results.

4) Looking forward to posting on how CLL has impacted my life, including a neuro analysis of myself post CLL.

Thank you again for the great question, guys.  I'll be back...(Terminator voice). 

All the Best,

IFS
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 12:49:20 AM by InFullStryde »

Ghostfish

Hi IFS
Congrats on your great recovery!  You are dedicated and focused.  You have made a great contribution to this community and your diary will stay as one of the best informative and inspirational. 

I like your word: I've conquered "growing".  Yes, you did it!  I also did it!  Growing tall was not our choice so we did what we can do to conquer it!

Wish you the happiness with growing taller!

SimonFuller

Hi IFS
Congrats on your great recovery!  You are dedicated and focused.  You have made a great contribution to this community and your diary will stay as one of the best informative and inspirational. 

I like your word: I've conquered "growing".  Yes, you did it!  I also did it!  Growing tall was not our choice so we did what we can do to conquer it!

Bro a big congrats from me - It's been crazy to watch this all unfold and see it all work out so well.

I am keen to hear the insightful psychological post when you post it!!

fodawupa

good progress in fullstride
"Gammal kjærleik rustar inkje."

InFullStryde

good progress in fullstride

Thank you, Really appreciate your support.

Bro a big congrats from me - It's been crazy to watch this all unfold and see it all work out so well.

I am keen to hear the insightful psychological post when you post it!!

Thank you again for all your support and encouragement, man.  I have a lot more to say on this topic! Coming soon. :)

Hi IFS

Right on! We're on the same page. Thanks again.

--

New progress details and additional progress videos coming each month.  Thank you again for all your support and all CLL Community members, feel free to reach out if any questions.    I've never been happier than I am today.

All the Best,

IFS

verticalpush

InFullStryde, this is excellent progress news brother! I feel like it was just yesterday I was reading your first few posts about the struggles early in the process. Now that I'm only a couple weeks away from being finished with distraction, it's very motivating to see how the next few months should pan out. I can only hope for consolidation to work for me like it did for you! One of the things you pointed out was how much of a difference the various people make in your recovery (including everyone on this forum). Very well said. I couldn't imagine making it through this process if I didn't have that support.

I have 2 questions. One of the issues I've experienced is what I view as almost extreme weight loss. I'm down about 22 pounds from my pre-surgery weight. I think a lot of that is muscle atrophy, but I've lost a considerable amount from my glutes which makes sitting on hard surfaces (e.g., a wooden chair) very painful. How long did it take for your body to "fill in" areas like your glutes after you stopped lengthening? Also, my job will require me to stand for an hour at a time starting in a couple of weeks. Would you say that's something that got easier once you stopped lengthening?

Thanks!

InFullStryde

InFullStryde, this is excellent progress news brother! I feel like it was just yesterday I was reading your first few posts about the struggles early in the process. Now that I'm only a couple weeks away from being finished with distraction, it's very motivating to see how the next few months should pan out. I can only hope for consolidation to work for me like it did for you! One of the things you pointed out was how much of a difference the various people make in your recovery (including everyone on this forum). Very well said. I couldn't imagine making it through this process if I didn't have that support.

I have 2 questions. One of the issues I've experienced is what I view as almost extreme weight loss. I'm down about 22 pounds from my pre-surgery weight. I think a lot of that is muscle atrophy, but I've lost a considerable amount from my glutes which makes sitting on hard surfaces (e.g., a wooden chair) very painful. How long did it take for your body to "fill in" areas like your glutes after you stopped lengthening? Also, my job will require me to stand for an hour at a time starting in a couple of weeks. Would you say that's something that got easier once you stopped lengthening?

Thanks!

Hi Vertical,

Sure thing.  In my experience, once you stop lengthening, the rate of progress becomes exponential in some respects.  You are FINALLY allowing your bones and soft tissues to heal versus, constantly breaking them each day with the lengthening machine.   In the first month, as you continue the same committed stretching and strengthening, your body responds by loosening up quite dramatically.   Stiffness, tightness of muscles joints, although not 100% wise; will loosen considerably.  You will find that your walk becomes more fluid and less robotic and by the end of the 4th month (1 month post lengthen), you start to truly see the light. If you have any degree of APT, or leg straitening issues, you see dramatic improvement as month 5 concludes.   By end of 5 months, you're walking pretty darn good.  I have a 5 month video in my diary.  My strength wasn't quite there yet and sure some stiffness/tightness is still lingering; but nothing to sweat. All that starts to really wear away with continued use of the legs during the 6 month and beyond. 

Standing for an hour should work out just fine....will be great for your post lengthening consolidation.   Are you allowed to lean up against anything for that one hour?  A little device or wall support never hurt during the early stages of consolidation.   I have been following your diary; and it sounds like you're walking pretty darn good..so you will likely be just fine with standing up for extended periods. 

Additionally, as far as your body weight goes.  I also lost mass during lengthening and for me; it was mainly due to skipping meals, a loss of appetite, a lower quantity/quality of resistance  weight training.  I would try to stay on task eating wise, but would find myself eating only 2 meals a day on some days.  Additionally, the lack of sleep contributes to weight loss.   Very shortly, I would say 2 weeks or so, post lengthening, my diet returned to normal as did my sleep and I began to fill in upper body wise and my legs as well.   By month 5 and 6, I'm approaching my old self again.   I actually weigh more now than before by about 7 lbs...due to eating, sleeping and returning to the gym at the 5 month point.   Plus, when you are finally able to walk long distances...1 mile, 2 mile+...your legs strengthen quickly and muscle memory also begins to kick in nicely!

Let me know if you have any more questions or feedback!

verticalpush

Hi Vertical,

Sure thing.  In my experience, once you stop lengthening, the rate of progress becomes exponential in some respects.  You are FINALLY allowing your bones and soft tissues to heal versus, constantly breaking them each day with the lengthening machine.   In the first month, as you continue the same committed stretching and strengthening, your body responds by loosening up quite dramatically.   Stiffness, tightness of muscles joints, although not 100% wise; will loosen considerably.  You will find that your walk becomes more fluid and less robotic and by the end of the 4th month (1 month post lengthen), you start to truly see the light. If you have any degree of APT, or leg straigening issues, you see dramatic improvement as month 5 concludes.   By end of 5 months, you're walking pretty darn good.  I have a 5 month video in my diary.  You're strength isn't quite there yet and sure some stiffness/tightness is still lingering; but nothing to sweat. All that starts to really wear away with continued use of the legs during the 6 month and beyond. 

Standing for an hour should work out just fine....will be great for your post lengthening consolidation.   Are you allowed to lean up against anything for that one hour?  A little device or wall support never hurt during the early stages of consolidation.   I have been following your diary; and it sounds like you're walking pretty darn good..so you will likely be just fine with standing up for extended periods. 

Additionally, as far as your body weight goes.  I also lost mass during lengthening and for me; it was mainly due to skipping meals, a loss of appetite, a lower quantity/quality of resistance  weight training.  I would try to stay on task eating wise, but would find myself eating only 2 meals a day on some days.  Additionally, the lack of sleep contributes to weight loss.   Very shortly, I would say 2 weeks or so, post lengthening, my diet returned to normal as did my sleep and I began to fill in upper body wise and my legs as well.   By month 5 and 6, I'm approaching my old self again.   I actually weigh more now than before by about 7 lbs...due to eating, sleeping and returning to the gym at the 5 month point.   Plus, when you are finally able to walk long distances...1 mile, 2 mile+...your legs strengthen quickly and muscle memory also begins to kick in nicely!

Let me know if you have any more questions or feedback!

This is awesome InFullStryde!! Thank you, I feel a lot better knowing things should improve relatively soon. I'm definitely experiencing the tightness/robotic like state that you described. I wouldn't describe it as pain (in fact, the only pain I really felt the entire time was nerve-related issues towards the midpoint of lengthening that have all but disappeared by now), but my knee doesn't want to bend that much when I'm walking, and I'm swaying a lot from side to side. I'll notice a big improvement after each PT session, but by then I'm in pain/tired so the last thing I want to do is walk a lot those days.

Lack of sleep has definitely been an issue for me so that makes sense as something that exasperated weight loss. I feel the same way - I just don't have much of an appetite many days and need to force myself to eat. As I write this, I've been up almost 4 hours and only had a 50 calorie fiber bar and a coffee! Then again, I can pick up a pizza and eat 3/4 of it by myself even when I'm not all that hungry. I'll admit I haven't been watching *what* I eat as much as I'm making sure *that* I eat. Drive-thrus are way easier to navigate than walking to get something healthier.

Great point about standing. Yes, I'll have something to lean against and I suppose I can request a stool. I think the longest I've stood in one spot has been about 10 minutes (I'm not counting walking as "standing"), but it does start to tire me out after 10 minutes.

Sounds like the 5 month point really is the magic moment where things become way easier! I can't wait. Thanks again!

InFullStryde

This is awesome InFullStryde!! Thank you, I feel a lot better knowing things should improve relatively soon. I'm definitely experiencing the tightness/robotic like state that you described. I wouldn't describe it as pain (in fact, the only pain I really felt the entire time was nerve-related issues towards the midpoint of lengthening that have all but disappeared by now), but my knee doesn't want to bend that much when I'm walking, and I'm swaying a lot from side to side. I'll notice a big improvement after each PT session, but by then I'm in pain/tired so the last thing I want to do is walk a lot those days.

Lack of sleep has definitely been an issue for me so that makes sense as something that exasperated weight loss. I feel the same way - I just don't have much of an appetite many days and need to force myself to eat. As I write this, I've been up almost 4 hours and only had a 50 calorie fiber bar and a coffee! Then again, I can pick up a pizza and eat 3/4 of it by myself even when I'm not all that hungry. I'll admit I haven't been watching *what* I eat as much as I'm making sure *that* I eat. Drive-thrus are way easier to navigate than walking to get something healthier.

Great point about standing. Yes, I'll have something to lean against and I suppose I can request a stool. I think the longest I've stood in one spot has been about 10 minutes (I'm not counting walking as "standing"), but it does start to tire me out after 10 minutes.

Sounds like the 5 month point really is the magic moment where things become way easier! I can't wait. Thanks again!

It sounds like we are very similar in many ways in terms of our recovery process.   Interestingly enough, I had realized that I was losing weight due to not eating much and my apetite wasn't there...so I resorted to comfort foods more than I would have prior to CLL...food like Pizza, Hamburgers, etc. I realized that there was no threat of me getting "heavy" and realized that this point I just needed some calories. I'd reach for some good Pizza and Ice Cream during these CLL times, ha ha. 

Walking, ah yes , oh yes indeed. Waddling, Side to side, legs are not really bending as smoothly as normal....All that will start to come back nicely post lengthening.  You'll look back at these times.  I took videos of my old penguin, zombie, robot walk for keep sake memories..you soon return to form as month 4, 5, 6 roll around. All of that is merely a temporary status.   I have concluded in my mind that natural walking probably can't exist during the lengthening phase; so I advise all future CLL'ers to realize that if you can stand up and waddle about for a few months then you are doing just fine.   Golden months are month 5, 6, 7 ....at this point you're happy to be walking again and meeting all your necessities and easily able to coast back to an atheletic status as the year concludes!   

Oh, I wanted to add another thing - Getting up from a chair! Yes, that will start to become much much easier around month 5 as well....as month 6, 7 roll around...you'll be able to most likely start to bounce out of the chair more similar to the old days. Give it time...It comes back to satisfactory levels soon enough.

You're doing great, man.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:09:14 PM by InFullStryde »

Movie

Awesome update and insight IFS thanks bro! can't wait to be where you are right now, and by then I hope you stick around to see how you are doing, do you plan on removing rods at the year mark?
Nails removed 10/06/2021

InFullStryde

Awesome update and insight IFS thanks bro! can't wait to be where you are right now, and by then I hope you stick around to see how you are doing, do you plan on removing rods at the year mark?

Hi Movie! Indeed.... You'll be here and beyond before you know it! Yes, I plan on removing at some point between 12 - 18 months, post - op. I haven't decided when, but I figure I'll make a decision once I see how the 2020 schedule is shaping.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32   Go Up