Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Veteran CLL'ers - Tell us about your transitions in terms of assistive mobility.  (Read 346 times)

InFullStryde

This post is primarily for the veteran CLL'ers.   Tell me about the transition timing you had in terms of changing your mobility assistant.

For example I'm going through the procedure now and here is my transitions.  I get that it may be different now due to the Stryde nail release.

Week 1 95% Wheelchair 5% Walker - Primarily due to a weak left leg. This prohibited me from any weight bearing whatsoever on the left leg; there for, walker was not doable since you need to be able to partially support your weight on both legs.

Week 2: 50% Walker 50 % Wheelchair - Improvement in left leg allowed me to start using walker; I continued to use wheelchair for safety purposes and to allow my left leg and surgery wounds/pains to heal a bit more.

Week 3:  5% Wheelchair 95% Walker  - Improvement on left leg, reduces tenderness, allowed me to weight bear on left leg now.   Tenderness in left knee up through upper leg prevents smooth movement; but can carefully get around okay on walker and also practice range of motion so long that it is slowly controlled.

Week 4:

---

Tell me about your transitions?  The Community would love to learn more about what to expect in this area.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:15:57 PM by InFullStryde »
"Make the BEST of what you have and Make what you have, the BEST"
InFullSTRYDE with Dr. Mahboubian - Jan 2019
Start Height/End Height: 5'1.25"/5'4.25"
Status: Gained 3" and Recovered Successfully! | Stryde Nails Removed: November 2020
Diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9671

fivetenneeded2016

This post is primarily for the veteran CLL'ers.   Tell me about the transition timing you had in terms of changing your mobility assistant.

For example I'm going through the procedure now and here is my transitions.  I get that it may be different now due to the Stryde nail release.

Week 1 and 2: 95% Wheelchair 5% Walker - Primarily due to a weak left leg. This prohibited me from any weight bearing whatsoever on the left leg; there for, walker was not doable since you need to be able to partially support your weight on both legs.

Week 3:  15% Wheelchair 85% Walker  - Improvement on left leg, reduces tenderness, allowed me to weight bear on left leg now.   Tenderness in left knee up through upper leg prevents smooth movement; but can carefully get around okay on walker and also practice range of motion so long that it is slowly controlled.

Week 4:

---

Tell me about your transitions?  The Community would love to learn more about what to expect in this area.
HEF
I did external fixators. I walked on crutches from day 1 itself which i did mention too..10 days post op I resumed my office. I went to work everyday..after atl too i walked okay but slower till frame removal..that was a difficult period.
Now i walk as fast as normal, perhaps the faster than any other extenral veteran at their times.
It depends on the type of procedure, surgeon and your body and willpower..my batchmates walk slow though but faster than most on the forum...I could say I was lucky

Day 1: 30% crutch 70% walker
Day 4: 100% crutches but slow
Day 7: faster but still slow...had issues in bending the tibia beyong 90°
Day 10: work resumed
Day 14 circa: could walk 2 kms type
Day 30ish: almost normal speed
Day 45: really decent speed and all strength back almost
Day 80-90 approx atl
then one month not in good shape..walked like a turtle or like how most walk here...bedridden..bad shape
day 0 of atl removal: walked 1km to the station from hospital..immediately felt better
day 7 post atl removal: normal speed.
month 5 post op: normal, done with lengthening
current(almost 10 months post op, have done bit more than 9cm): my doc and the clinic applaud how i walk, they joke I can do ilizarov marathons.. :p

those interested, I could update a video of current walking...can do a few steps crutchless too had uploaded and deleted that video.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:32:06 PM by fivetenneeded2016 »
tibias: april 2018 to july 2019 under dr pili/catagni- HEF.
femurs: feb 2021 and sep 2021 dr halil-precise 2
159-181.
came. lengthened. moving on.

Great321

Taylor Spatial Frames

From second day of surgery (16.10.18) until today (22.01.19): 100% walker 

On 2-3 days I couldn't walk at all. When the frames get taken off it might take me another 6 weeks until I'm free of any walking aids. I haven't tried crutches yet but I can't imagine using them right now.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:17:28 PM by Great321 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up