Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LON on Femurs  (Read 397 times)

Aquahoma2

LON on Femurs
« on: May 06, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »

Hello!

This question has been popping up before for sure, but that was years ago. So I ask it again - how safe is doing 8cms on femurs using LON? What are some serious disadvantages/complications associated with LON that could have been easily avoided by using externals or Stryde? Is LON weight-bearing, btw?

junior006

Re: LON on Femurs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2023, 09:58:01 AM »

downside is scarring and pin site infections being more difficult to treat than tibias. both because there is more tissue to stretch and manage. consolidation and recovery phase is somewhat longer.

price is around half of iln and it is weightbearing. some consider cosmetic lon femur to be malpractice with the associated risks but it's doable

Aquahoma2

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 10:57:42 AM »

downside is scarring and pin site infections being more difficult to treat than tibias. both because there is more tissue to stretch and manage. consolidation and recovery phase is somewhat longer.

price is around half of iln and it is weightbearing. some consider cosmetic lon femur to be malpractice with the associated risks but it's doable

How severe are those scars and can they be removed afterwards?
What about infections? Are the risks really worse than, say, the risks associated with purely external femoral lengthening?

junior006

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 01:21:48 PM »

you can find images online of lon femur scars. it depends on your skin tone and fat distribution, someone with pale skin and chubby legs will probably get very obvious scars. for the average person they fade over time but will likely remain somewhat visible. in comparison precice scars is practically invisible a year into recovery. lon is better than fully external for both femur and tibia. but even lon there's just so much thigh flesh stretching and contacting metal many would consider it torture. sleeping position is limited, if you're a side sleeper the external fixation can make sleeping incredibly difficult; i think this is an important point that isn't brought up as much.

if you can afford it don't cheap out just go ILN. for your sanity

Aquahoma2

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 04:06:48 PM »

you can find images online of lon femur scars. it depends on your skin tone and fat distribution, someone with pale skin and chubby legs will probably get very obvious scars. for the average person they fade over time but will likely remain somewhat visible. in comparison precice scars is practically invisible a year into recovery. lon is better than fully external for both femur and tibia. but even lon there's just so much thigh flesh stretching and contacting metal many would consider it torture. sleeping position is limited, if you're a side sleeper the external fixation can make sleeping incredibly difficult; i think this is an important point that isn't brought up as much.

if you can afford it don't cheap out just go ILN. for your sanity

Unfortunately, I can't afford Stryde or Precice, and won't be able to finance it even in a remote future (unless a very generous donation is made, lol). So either LON or full Ilizarov is my only way.

LONFemurs2021

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 04:24:15 PM »

It's quite painful, but it's manageable. I've done it, countless others have done it.

But yeah you'll end up with scars, they can make them less v8sible after you're done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up