Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Barinov external tibias 2019 Volgograd, Russia  (Read 1583 times)

dinozzo and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

BeYourBest

Re: Dr Barinov external tibias 2019 Volgograd, Russia
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »

There’s always going to be unexpected parts in this journey.

Just keep going. Time your painkiller pills consumption so you’re not chasing but preventing the pain beforehand as much as possible, perhaps.

All the best.

cheekycabs

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »

Read my diary. My first 2 months were the worst part. Pain management and motivation are key to the distraction phase, and a good doctor/nurse/physio to put your mind at ease. EVery new pain you will think is the end of the world, but in the bigger picture it's not. I literally distracted at a rate of 0.4 mm to 5.5cm so my distraction took double the time than normal. It sucked and the pain was so high that I couldn't go fast.
Full External Ilizarov Surgery in Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0

6 months in, 90% consolidation. 5.5cm. Frame removal in May

Ghostfish

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 12:23:35 AM »

Hi Sanity

I feel sorry for you.  Looks like you have a very severe pain apparently due to a spinal headache.  I didn't do external so I don't really know how you really feel but do understand how difficult cll can be.  First 3-4 weeks are hardest due to the surgery.  Your body needs quite long time to recover just from the surgery since this surgery is so invasive.  Take any pain killers if available during this time.  Pain management is the most important thing during the first month!  Then you will feel better and better until your legs reach a moment of serious tightness.  Although you may feel tightness already at 1 cm distraction, it may be due to complex reasons including surgery, inflammation, swelling, and pain, etc.  After you get over the first stage of pain, you will face the real tightness which normally happens around 4-5 cm, as you mentioned.

Good luck!!

Sanity

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »

Read my diary. My first 2 months were the worst part. Pain management and motivation are key to the distraction phase, and a good doctor/nurse/physio to put your mind at ease. EVery new pain you will think is the end of the world, but in the bigger picture it's not. I literally distracted at a rate of 0.4 mm to 5.5cm so my distraction took double the time than normal. It sucked and the pain was so high that I couldn't go fast.

I see, But all this mustve happened to you atleast after 3 cm right and not at 1cm?

cheekycabs

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 09:09:11 AM »

I see, But all this mustve happened to you atleast after 3 cm right and not at 1cm?

Mate I had struggles at 1cm. It was my hardest part. Things were bleeding and painful.
Full External Ilizarov Surgery in Azerbaijan: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=9418.0

Sanity

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »

1st xray and consultation. Things look very weird.

I turned around 0.9-1cm and on the xrays it shows only 2mm gain. I think 2 is probably even the space there is right after surgery. I dont know wats happening but i can swear i turned 1cm its recorded and even the rods are longer.  Does this mean my bones have preconsolidated.

I started turning on 10th day of surgery and turned 1mm everyday uptil today my 10th day of turning. The Doctor used the key to make several turns instantly and he said it looks like i have very hard soft tissues.

Anyways did any1 else face this. Looks like im preconsolidated right? 1cm turning and 2mm which is usually the gap after surgery itself.

California2

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 03:50:20 PM »

I wonder what your surgeon thinks about your situation?  Isn't he in the best position to advise you?

Nonetheless, when you hear hoof beats behind you, please don't immediately think "zebras".  Stated differently, the simplest explanation for a situation is often the correct explanation.

If you are only seeing 2 mm of distraction; then, the simplest answer may be that you only distracted 2 mm. 

It would be challenging to accept that you distracted 10mm but had the most miraculous healing in the world so that it looks like you only distracted 2 mm.

Bone simply does not heal like that.  I encourage you to read some journal articles that explain the biological course of healing for broken bones.   Once you do, you will likely agree that you are not pre-consolidated. 

What's more, so long as the top of your fibula is captured by at least one screw; then, pre-consolidation is nearly impossible with external lengthening.  This is so because when you distract, you will merely pull apart your bones at the osteotomy site because the site is the weakest part.  (If your fibula is not captured; then, the cartilage at the top of your fibula can be the weakest point; thus, a risk of pulling that cartilage exists.)

While I encourage you to discuss your project with your surgeon and to take your guidance from him, two possibilities come to mind to explore.  First, it is not uncommon to turn nuts in the wrong direction so that you cancel out turns in the correct direction.  Some folks wrap tape around the rod just below the nut to help ensure you become used to turning the nut away from the tape.

Next, it is also possible that you merely "took up slack" in your first week of distraction; thus, you will see more normal distraction next week.

All-in-all, it is probably too soon to sort things out definitively.  I encourage you to talk with your surgeon.  This is a new experience for you.  It is likely NOT a new experience for your surgeon.

Sanity

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »

I wonder what your surgeon thinks about your situation?  Isn't he in the best position to advise you?

Nonetheless, when you hear hoof beats behind you, please don't immediately think "zebras".  Stated differently, the simplest explanation for a situation is often the correct explanation.

If you are only seeing 2 mm of distraction; then, the simplest answer may be that you only distracted 2 mm. 

It would be challenging to accept that you distracted 10mm but had the most miraculous healing in the world so that it looks like you only distracted 2 mm.

Bone simply does not heal like that.  I encourage you to read some journal articles that explain the biological course of healing for broken bones.   Once you do, you will likely agree that you are not pre-consolidated. 

What's more, so long as the top of your fibula is captured by at least one screw; then, pre-consolidation is nearly impossible with external lengthening.  This is so because when you distract, you will merely pull apart your bones at the osteotomy site because the site is the weakest part.  (If your fibula is not captured; then, the cartilage at the top of your fibula can be the weakest point; thus, a risk of pulling that cartilage exists.)

While I encourage you to discuss your project with your surgeon and to take your guidance from him, two possibilities come to mind to explore.  First, it is not uncommon to turn nuts in the wrong direction so that you cancel out turns in the correct direction.  Some folks wrap tape around the rod just below the nut to help ensure you become used to turning the nut away from the tape.

Next, it is also possible that you merely "took up slack" in your first week of distraction; thus, you will see more normal distraction next week.

All-in-all, it is probably too soon to sort things out definitively.  I encourage you to talk with your surgeon.  This is a new experience for you.  It is likely NOT a new experience for your surgeon.

Il agree it is not premature consolidated i meant pre-consolidation by which i meant was soft callous putting resisting forces especially fibular

Anyhow what you said would not apply to my case because before my 1st day of turning i specially put a mark with a red marker pen on each lengthening screws that are inside the rods and that mark has gone past below lower and also the top of the screws has lesser space and 2 screws were finished and the doctor needed to replace them with longer screws. Lol i was particularly attentive to not turning it backwards each and everytime. I was always attentive and 100% focused during turning and turned 4 times everyday for 1mm. Its clear.

Something else is going on which I dont understand. I talked to the surgeon he says its because my soft tissue is resisting alot but i dont know about that one.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:38:47 PM by Sanity »

California2

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »

I am glad to know you are being attentive and implemented a protocol to better ensure you turn the nuts in the proper direction.

The body puts tremendous pressure on your rods.  If your body was not allowing distraction, you will often see your rods start to bow.  If that happens, additional rods are sometimes added to spread the load.

If you see no bowing of your rods, I would speculate that you just took up slack with most of your first centimeter; however, I defer to the judgment of your surgeon.

It seems unusual to replace rods already--usually rods are installed with at least a few centimeters available for distraction.

It is apparent you did significant research before undertaking this project and approached the project with a good level of knowledge.  I encourage you to rely on the input of your surgeon and your understanding of the process while listening to your body.

Best of luck!

cheekycabs

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »

I am going to give you a bit of advice, the Russian medical system is a lot different than the western ones. In all honesty, they are much less attentive, they seemingly care less, or push problems to the side compared to, say, Canada. This shouldn't worry you, Every week I was thinking my legs were either infected or I've pre-consolidated and I complained about it, and every week I was just fine. We get very pampered and are used to doctors attending every one of our needs, but it is a different world. If your doctor says it'll be okay, you have to trust him.

If there is a major problem, then the doctor will mention it. This surgery has been preformed a lot in this side of the world, and they should know best. It's very hard to not have this monkey on your back thinking everything is going to shiit, but try your best, trust your doc, and keep on training.

Sanity

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »

I am going to give you a bit of advice, the Russian medical system is a lot different than the western ones. In all honesty, they are much less attentive, they seemingly care less, or push problems to the side compared to, say, Canada. This shouldn't worry you, Every week I was thinking my legs were either infected or I've pre-consolidated and I complained about it, and every week I was just fine. We get very pampered and are used to doctors attending every one of our needs, but it is a different world. If your doctor says it'll be okay, you have to trust him.

If there is a major problem, then the doctor will mention it. This surgery has been preformed a lot in this side of the world, and they should know best. It's very hard to not have this monkey on your back thinking everything is going to shiit, but try your best, trust your doc, and keep on training.

Yea im keep on turning and i hope ur right there. This is intense.

Sanity

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2019, 12:19:49 PM »

On my right foot at a certain movement i get intense pain like 10/10 for 2-3 secs and the muscles of foot spasms and shakes like an electric jolt. Then its completely fine. Sometimes it can happen at knee extended and sometimes on bent while trying to move foot im not sure at what exact position it can occur.

Due to its fear of happeneing im not moving my leg at all. Also not walking at all even to toilet because if this jolt occurs while standing il definetely fall. I don know if any1 experienced this weird jolt and extreme pain for 2 secs acxompanied by a total foot spasm.

myloginacc

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

How's the pain been?

What about painkillers?
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Sanity

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:30 PM »

improved. apparently much of the pain and problems were because of right foot. Its a flat foot before surgery and now its pronated even more.

Sanity

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »

I had a little pronated feet and now after doing 1cm i have even more pronation.

dinozzo

• Visitor
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »

What does the doctor say about it?

Sanity

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »

not much. he said if u have pronation before it will remain or increase with lengthening. He told me to use orthotic supports. Well things are only in the begining as of now and i still have to lengthen alot and i'l see what else are my options. I know it can be fixed with surgery but i dont wana go that route. hopefully exercises, stretching and orthotic support will be enough.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up