Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Femurs + Tibias with Dr Paley Feb 2021  (Read 3806 times)

Thorfinnn

Re: Femurs + Tibias with Dr Paley Feb 2021
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2021, 11:19:16 PM »

you can ask your surgeon if they can pull out the catheter while your still knocked out

RealLostSoul

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2021, 11:45:52 PM »

Is it mandatory to use a catheter to pee? This part kinda freak me out... Is it possible to wear a diaper and pee in it? Or maybe sit on the side of the bed and pee on a bowl?

you don't need a catheter if you opt for the right anesthesia strategy. If you get an epidural you will need one for a couple of days because you are paralyzed for some time. If you go with general anesthesia or spinal block you won't get one.
I asked paley this because I was freaked out like you too but don't worry. Just ask the doctor in before and opt to go for the method without one.

L8GrowthSpurt

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2021, 12:08:05 AM »

you don't need a catheter if you opt for the right anesthesia strategy. If you get an epidural you will need one for a couple of days because you are paralyzed for some time. If you go with general anesthesia or spinal block you won't get one.
I asked paley this because I was freaked out like you too but don't worry. Just ask the doctor in before and opt to go for the method without one.

Good to know! I will definitely try and do that or at least have them remove before I’m awake
CLL wannabe - waiting for Stryde return
171.5 cm (morning height)
171 cm (day height)
Wingspan: 179 cm
Goal height - 179 cm (femurs)

RealLostSoul

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2021, 12:52:01 AM »

Good to know! I will definitely try and do that or at least have them remove before I’m awake

As for as I understood it the problem isn't about during the surgery. The surgery neither lasts long enough, nor is within close proximity to the prostate/foley/lower abdomen, nor is a major one compared to brain or heart surgery to really make a catheter a must in and of itself. The reason why you get one if you get epidural is that you are paralyzed for some time and you can't pee which is dangerous if it stocks up too long. If you just wake up from general anesthesia (which is more like a controlled drug OD to put it in a morbid way) you will be confused and dizzy but you are able to move around. You will pee in a bottle afterward.
Both doctors I have spoken to told me that.

Anyways, I understand your guys' fears haha. I wouldn't want that to be in my UT either.

Serilium

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2021, 01:04:10 AM »

whats the pros/cons of epidural vs spinal block vs general anesthesia?

RealLostSoul

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2021, 02:09:22 PM »

whats the pros/cons of epidural vs spinal block vs general anesthesia?

Many. It will depend on what combination/option your doctor offers. You will want to discuss this with them or the anesthesiologists.
Typically, epidural is great for post surgery pain relief as it gives of a constant flow of anesthetics. However you will need a foley catheter during that time.
If you don't get one you are mobile much earlier and won't need a catheter but the pain might be worse.

There are many different layers to this and unfortunately I haven't had anesthesiology in my studies yet (sucks because I find it more interesting than what the topic is rn) so I can only refer to internet research and what the Doctors I have spoken to told me.

Shorty_NoMore

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2021, 04:53:39 AM »

Thanks, good to know!
Is there a cons for taking the general anesthesia/spinal block vs epidural? Like if you take epidural there will be less pain because you will be paralyzed?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up