Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I think my armspan might be lower than my height.  (Read 10647 times)

Uppland

I think my armspan might be lower than my height.
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:43:10 PM »

Hi everyone I just did a rough armspan measurement with a yardstick and it came out at roughly 172-173 cm. Now unless I did something very wrong and it's really 185 cm I certainy have little (none) room for any height increase at all.

I stretched my arms with my back towards a wall and marked where both my middle fingers ended. Unreliable I know but I did my best to make it as precise as possible, was only looking for a rough estimate anyway. Unfortunately that measurment came out at 172 cm which seemed quite low but I can't reach the end of the yardstick when I fold it out to 180 cm so I think my arms might be quite short. Proportionally they look fine though certainly not long I have never thought of them as short either.

If I didn't do some major mistake, and I can't really see what that would be, my leg lenghtening journey is over before it began. Even if I'm off by 5 cm it's still too short to manage an increase in height. Did I do something wrong or is this it for me?

Wannabegiant

Re: I think my armspan might be lower than my height.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:38 AM »

You should definitely get someone else to help you measure, its almost always more accurate compared to doing it yourself i think.

I dont think it is impossible but it seems a bit unlikely that you would have a armspan 5 cm less than your height, but maybe if your sitting height is long for your height you might be one of those dudes with short limbs and big torso, so because of your long torso i think it will still look good if you lengthen 5 cm, but of course we would need to see some proportion pictures of you to really make any judgment of worth.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 01:32:16 AM »

It's probably an erroneous measurement but it's not entirely out of the question. Some guys do have shorter arm spans than height.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Uppland

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »

Did another rough estimate of sitting height and I must have done something whack because it came out at 98 cm at night and I don't think I measured from the real top of my head. Also might have tilted forward.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

Okay so I had my mom measure me and we got 174 cm +- 1 cm. I'm afraid that's it for me, don't feel like LL or any height increase is an option for me considering my already short arms. Thanks for bearing with me and my questions.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »

Did another rough estimate of sitting height and I must have done something whack because it came out at 98 cm at night and I don't think I measured from the real top of my head. Also might have tilted forward.

Thats a great sitting height, you really sound like a short limbed dude with a huge torso.

Im not sure but maybe the torso height is enough to make you proportional even with short arms, and if you add weight to your shoulders to make them wider it might look completely fine. Maybe you could do arm lengthening too? might be to extreme

Taller

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »

You can lengthen your arms if you need to, but no technology exists to lengthen the torso. You may still look fine after LL. Also, people don't usually notice or pay attention to arm length. That is why you or your family members never even realized that you had short arms until you measured them.

If you post or PM me a picture of yourself (standing straight with whole body head to toe in the frame and face blurred or edited out, I can make you a photoshop mock up of what you'd look like with anywhere between 4 and 7CM added to either your tibiae or femurs. This might help you decision.

What length of pants typically fits you best?

Did you also have your mother measure your sitting height?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 07:33:11 PM by Taller »

Uppland

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »

Might send you a photo, thank you Taller. I won't do arm lenghtening that's just too much for me, don't know how long my pants are but they say EUR size 29 although I think they are too small actually bought them when I was 17 and I have grown since I guess. My arms look fine they end right under my crotch when I take a relaxed stance. Sort of like this guy but with shorter legs:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/189/7/0/mr__proportion_by_builtbytallsteve-d7pv2iw.jpg

I'm fine with having arms that are a bit short but since I aim to lenghten at least 5 cm that would mean my wingspan end up at 10 cm less than my height, I think that will look unacceptable.

Measured sitting height by myself and wasn't very thourough it's probably somewhere between 95 to 105 cm

Taller

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »

Sit up as straight as you can, with your back against a wall, and hold a book to the top of your head so that it rests on the very highest part of it. Make sure that the plane of the book is at a 90 degree angle with the wall. Then, without moving the book, mark the spot at the bottom of the book where the book makes contact with the wall lightly but noticably with pencil. Next, grab a tape measure and measure the distance from the floor to the pencil mark with a tape measure or meter stick. This should give you a pretty accurate idea of your sitting height.

The model in the picture you showed looks like he's done 10CM of LL with most of it in the tibiae (although he probably hasn't in reality), but he still obviously looks good enough that people are willing to pay him to model.

In my opinion, mock ups and having someone take pictures of you from a distance (with a neutral camera angle) while you wear shoe lifts that give you your desired height increase are the best ways to determine what you would look like after LL.

Uppland

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »

Interesting I'll try to make some lifts (won't pay for that crap) thanks for helping me out Taller you're a standup guy even online.

Wannabegiant is also cool obviously.

Overdozer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »

The model in the picture you showed looks like he's done 10CM of LL with most of it in the tibiae (although he probably hasn't in reality), but he still obviously looks good enough that people are willing to pay him to model.
It's fake.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »

Trying to figure out if it's my shoulders, I am 67 cm from my middle finger to my armpit if anyone feel like measuring their arms it would be a favour.

• Proportionā˜¤Nazi
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »

Roughly 79CM, Middle finger to beginning of armpit.
Height: 177cm / Wingspan: 193cm
Sitting height: 94-95cm / current SHR: 53.7% /
Hand length: 21.5cm / Handbreadth: 10cm
Arm lenght (middle finger to acromion bone) : 85cm   | Ground to crotch: 85cm | Inseam: 80cm
Tibia:43cm / Femur:42
Pages: [1]   Go Up