Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there difference before/after the procedure?  (Read 884 times)

lovinglonglegs

is there difference before/after the procedure?
« on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:08 PM »

i heard it can happen and some doctors don't even measure the difference at mm level.
is there anyone having some opinions or experiences on this?

ilovescience

Re: is there difference before/after the procedure?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 12:31:12 AM »

i heard it can happen and some doctors don't even measure the difference at mm level.

I am not sure but it seems doctors usually measure it.....

zaozari

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 12:49:17 AM »

You mean a difference between each leg?:Right and left leg rarely have exactly the same lenght. Differences are usually not noticeable when we do our normal life. But if that difference is more concentrated in one segment, good doctors will use lenghtening to reduce the diference, if they don't create a great "inbalance" between legs, that is, getting the knees at diferent heights because one leg would have a "big" femur and the other leg a "big" tibia. In this case either they are more conservative or you elongate both segments. But elongation of both members just fot correcting that minimal diference of up to 1 cm maybe it's not worth, I think.And there's not even the guarantee that all bones react conveniently.
In fact me for example, all my bones have diferent leghts and leg with bigger femur is not the one with the bigger tibia. As I may do only tibial LL i will ask the surgeon what's the.best way to go.

motoboarder

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 01:02:20 AM »

Before surgery my right femur was 1mm shorter. After, my right leg was 2mm shorter, IDK why.. I lengthened the right femur for 1 more mm, so basically retained the normal 1mm discrepancy between my legs.
Asian male age 30-36; 163cm -> Gained 4cm tibias & 5.6cm femurs
Tibia surgery 01/18/2022; Femur surgery 02/01/2022
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=69090.0
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 05:42:11 PM »

You mean a difference between each leg?:Right and left leg rarely have exactly the same lenght. Differences are usually not noticeable when we do our normal life. But if that difference is more concentrated in one segment, good doctors will use lenghtening to reduce the diference, if they don't create a great "inbalance" between legs, that is, getting the knees at diferent heights because one leg would have a "big" femur and the other leg a "big" tibia. In this case either they are more conservative or you elongate both segments. But elongation of both members just fot correcting that minimal diference of up to 1 cm maybe it's not worth, I think.And there's not even the guarantee that all bones react conveniently.
In fact me for example, all my bones have diferent leghts and leg with bigger femur is not the one with the bigger tibia. As I may do only tibial LL i will ask the surgeon what's the.best way to go.

Tha'ts right, i was talking about leg length difference. Thanks, my fault omitting it.

Have you talked about it with doctors? If so, how did they say how they're going to measure and deal with it?

lovinglonglegs

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 05:42:53 PM »

Before surgery my right femur was 1mm shorter. After, my right leg was 2mm shorter, IDK why.. I lengthened the right femur for 1 more mm, so basically retained the normal 1mm discrepancy between my legs.

Thanks
How did the doctors say how they're going to measure and deal with it?

zaozari

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 06:45:38 PM »

Tha'ts right, i was talking about leg length difference. Thanks, my fault omitting it.

Have you talked about it with doctors? If so, how did they say how they're going to measure and deal with it?

I haven't asked about yet. I don't know if it's more important segment or entire leg discrepancy (assuming that total leg discrepancy is not big). It surely affects at least knee articulation and its cartilage.

We should stick and follow up this issue. I'll ask in the next consultation.

motoboarder

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 07:29:49 PM »

Thanks
How did the doctors say how they're going to measure and deal with it?

My doctor measured it on x-ray on the last visit (before stop lengthening). The overall suggestion is that anyone is likely having discrepancy, and our body has adjusted to it for a long time. As long as it's within 5mm it's not a big deal. They suggested me to NOT lengthen the right leg by whole 2mm because such would make my body "feel" the right leg suddenly gets too long. So I did 1mm and be done.
Asian male age 30-36; 163cm -> Gained 4cm tibias & 5.6cm femurs
Tibia surgery 01/18/2022; Femur surgery 02/01/2022
Diary http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=69090.0
Recommended wheelchair transport in West Palm Beach: East Coast Taxi (561) 651-1111 (please DON'T mention it's from me)

ilovescience

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 12:37:10 AM »

I haven't asked about yet. I don't know if it's more important segment or entire leg discrepancy (assuming that total leg discrepancy is not big). It surely affects at least knee articulation and its cartilage.

We should stick and follow up this issue. I'll ask in the next consultation.

Knee articulation affects movement a lot

zaozari

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 12:51:26 AM »

Knee articulation affects movement a lot
Yes, but I was referring to long term chance of arthritis for example.
I don't think little leg discrepancy affects itself knee articulation before or after, directly because of LL, if it's a matter of a few milimetres and LL doesn't  disrupt the disrepancy.
On the other hand, if it corrects a real little discrepancy, like, let's say, 2 or 3 mm, it seems, in intuitive terms, that it can only bring (small) benefits, without changing negatively what the body is already adapted to. But I will really ask this to the doctor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up