Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ratio between height and arm lenght.  (Read 12177 times)

Uppland

Ratio between height and arm lenght.
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:52:38 PM »

I've been interested in arm lenght since I found out my wingspan is lower than my height fortunately it turns out my arms aren't short for my height and I think this is a good point to make. It's all well to use wingspan and weigh it to your height but what will really make your proportions off is a short pair of arms.

I found this thread on the makemetaller forum: -- -- in which the OP presents a guideline. The "normal" arm lenght is that which is at a ratio 2.3 of your height. Allegedly the proportions start to seem off at a ratio of 2.5.

This means that my arms (76CM) are average for my height (179CM) and can support an increase up to 190CM max.

Another concept I found on the same forum (although I've lost the link, sorry) is that your arms should ideally be 43-44% of your height -that is the average. This means that a 190CM man should have an arm lenght of roughly 82CM, a 180CM man -77CM and a 170CM man -73CM.
Now obviously no one is going to notice if you lack one or two centimeters in your arms but a guideline to follow (though not scientifically proven) is to not exceed the ratio of 2.5.

I thought maybe these thoughts might be of some use to you guys so I'll share it here -feel free to discuss.

Edit: Looks like the link I posted doesn't work I'm really sorry. The thread is called "Height to arm lenght reatio" if you want to look for it yourself. On the old forum -again sorry.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:29:11 AM by Admin »

kunta kinte

Re: Ratio between height and arm lenght.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:28:33 PM »

How did you measure your arm?

Uppland

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

From the end of my middle finger to the top of my acromion bone,

kunta kinte

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:15 AM »

180cm, 79cm.

Uppland

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

Suppose I really have short arms for my height then. Damn it.

Taller

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »

3CM isn't a noticeable difference when comparing arms. Didn't you say that you father has the same arm length as you? If this is the case, then your arms will look fine at that height. Perhaps they won't look anywhere near "long", but they won't look abnormally short either.

Uppland

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »

When all is said and done I'll see how it looks but ideally my arms should be 4 cm longer. I've read that the growth plates in arms don't fuse untl 20 years on average does anyone know if they might grow another cm?

Taller

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »

Typically the forearms are done growing by 18, but the humerus (upper arms) tend to fuse a little later. Femurs are also among the last long bones to stop growing.

Uppland

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »

I've heard that men tend to "fill out" i.e getting broader until 21-22 is that true?

Taller

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »

That is true, as far as I know. Men can fill out as late as 25 years of age, in some cases. Your small arm span could well be due to shoulders that are not yet at their full developed width.

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »

What's your shoulder width?
Height: 177cm / Wingspan: 193cm
Sitting height: 94-95cm / current SHR: 53.7% /
Hand length: 21.5cm / Handbreadth: 10cm
Arm lenght (middle finger to acromion bone) : 85cm   | Ground to crotch: 85cm | Inseam: 80cm
Tibia:43cm / Femur:42

Uppland

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

About 46 CM I think

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »

177.5cm, Roughly 84-85cm.
Arm lenght (middle finger to acromion bone) : 85cm   | Ground to crotch: 85cm | Inseam: 80cm

Uppland

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »

That's your arm lenght? You will look fine up to 195 cm don't worry about it.

At least that's what the numbers tell us but who can say for sure. My arms are statistically short for my height already but I thought they were long until I measured.

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »

That's your arm lenght? You will look fine up to 195 cm don't worry about it.

At least that's what the numbers tell us but who can say for sure. My arms are statistically short for my height already but I thought they were long until I measured.

Yes, I calculated it (really doubt it). Don't get discouraged if you truly feel unhappy with your height, You could always lengthen to some extend. And don't think that all people are proportionate, Ive seen ALOT of tall people with disproportions (because i had height neurosis) always comparing people's heights and proportions. Once i saw a guy who was 1 head taller than me, He was maybe 6'6 - 6'7, He had a bit trouble entering the door, I saw him at a grocery store. I had a good chance to look at his proportions while passing by, without looking lilke a creep, His arms where equal or shorter than mine. Once at a ophthalmologist office i sat next to a 6'4 guy (on purpose, so i could compare sitting heights) the guy had maybe 95-96cm sitting height max. My point is that if those people and many more exist in the real world without people pointing a finger at them for being disproportionate, You might LL to some extent.
Look at Conan O'Brien, He is really disproportionate, But people don't bring so much attention to it, He is the only one that makes fun of his legs.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 10:42:33 PM »

Your wingspan is 194cm at 178cm height? That's an anomaly, but a good one to have for LL. Why are your goals so modest? You should do 6 and 7cm with that wingspan, lol. As for the people out there, how do you know they haven't LL'ed? People always think there are no other LLers out there (I'm susceptible to this) but of all the people who've done it, they have to get up and go out at some point, so they are liable to eventually be viewed by someone judging proportion.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 11:00:58 PM »

Your wingspan is 194cm at 178cm height? That's an anomaly, but a good one to have for LL. Why are your goals so modest? You should do 6 and 7cm with that wingspan, lol. As for the people out there, how do you know they haven't LL'ed? People always think there are no other LLers out there (I'm susceptible to this) but of all the people who've done it, they have to get up and go out at some point, so they are liable to eventually be viewed by someone judging proportion.

I highly doubt it, In my little s**tty country LL would be the last thing to worry about, Anyways my goals are realistic. Ive got a SHR of 51.5%...
Ill be crossing the 50% SHR line and end up at 49.72% SHR (184cm) or 49.45% SHR (185cm)

Taller

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 06:52:51 AM »

I guess the longer the torso, the shorter the arms, in most cases. I am 179 CM have a 96 or maybe even 97 CM sitting height, but my wingspan is only around 185 CM.

Uppland

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 06:54:00 AM »

But how long are your arms that's what's really important.

177cm

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

I am 179 CM have a 96 or maybe even 97 CM sitting height, but my wingspan is only around 185 CM.
Only!
My wingspan is 179 cm (my height is 177.5-178) and i gave my sportcoat to a guy who s like 186 cm (his familiy is not rich so we give them some clothes which we dont wear anymore), this sportcoat was a bit short for me especially sleeves and i had no doubt it would be too small and short on him, but once he put it on i couldn't believe my eyes, it fitted him so well and not short at all. And he doesnt look disproportionate at all, jsut tall guy.

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »

Only!
My wingspan is 179 cm (my height is 177.5-178) and i gave my sportcoat to a guy who s like 186 cm (his familiy is not rich so we give them some clothes which we dont wear anymore), this sportcoat was a bit short for me especially sleeves and i had no doubt it would be too small and short on him, but once he put it on i couldn't believe my eyes, it fitted him so well and not short at all. And he doesnt look disproportionate at all, jsut tall guy.

I think that he has 20 inch shoulders, Thats why hes saying "only". I've got 20 inch shoulders and 194cm wingspan, So you can see why he is concerned, And on the same note i have a friend that is somewhere around 185cm (I don't ask people about their heights) And he seem to have shorter arms than me, His tibia is quite longer than mine tho. Natural proportions vary quite a lot i guess, Most people have equal or greater wingspan than height.
wingspan ≥ height, In most cases is greater rather than.

Taller

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 02:34:08 AM »

I think that he has 20 inch shoulders, Thats why hes saying "only". I've got 20 inch shoulders and 194cm wingspan, So you can see why he is concerned, And on the same note i have a friend that is somewhere around 185cm (I don't ask people about their heights) And he seem to have shorter arms than me, His tibia is quite longer than mine tho. Natural proportions vary quite a lot i guess, Most people have equal or greater wingspan than height.
wingspan ≥ height, In most cases is greater rather than.

Yes, I have extremely broad shoulders for my height. I haven't measured them, but they are much, much wider than my 30 or 32 inch waist (US size). In fact, they are wider than the shoulders of most people of 188-196CM I know. I actually think it looks very good since I don't have a lot of body fat, and many people overestimate my height because of my broad shoulders. This makes me think that my torso will look proportionate at 188CM, even though my sitting height is 96 or 97 CM.  My arms aren't that long though. When I wear lifts to get to around 187-188CM, my arms are noticably on the shorter side, which does worry me. When I clench my hands into fists and put my arms at my side, they only go down to the bottom half of my penis. With my hands open, my arms go down to almost the halfway point between my waist and knees. My hand length is around 19-20CM. I do think, however, that the social benefits of being taller will outweigh the cons of having arms that are a little short for my height.

Either way, I'm not sure if I could ever cure my height neurosis without getting LL, and, in my opinion, I don't look bad at all in lifts, so I am pretty sure that I'm going to go for it and have LL as soon as my schedule and bank account permits.

• Proportion☤Nazi
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 03:17:57 AM »

You're right about the torso/limbs ratio, 2 kinds of natural builds i guess, One with short limbs and longer torsos and one with long limbs and short torsos. I guess people with low wingspan think wingspan is more important than SHR, And people with low SHR think that SHR is more important than wingspan.

BTW, Do you think this Human proportion calculator is legit?

http://hpc.anatomy4sculptors.com/

Cause bloody hell, This thing seems to hit a few of my ratios to the mm.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:38:27 AM by 680 »

Taller

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 04:11:31 AM »

I think that in most cases, one just has to accept that one will not look completely proportionate after LL and there's simply no denying it rationally. One has to ask if the benefit from the extra height outweights the negatives of having slight disproportion. In my case, I feel it does.

Still, most 188CM people that I meet do have sitting heights taller than my 96-97CM, some barely and some by a whole lot. I met a 196CM guy not long ago who had a 95-96CM sitting height though, so I guess I'll be ok.

And at 185-186CM, my arm span will be too short for someone 188CM tall. But it won't be painfully obvious and I doubt anyone will measure my arms to verify that my arm span correlates perfectly with my height.

Moubgf

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 05:44:40 AM »

I think that in most cases, one just has to accept that one will not look completely proportionate after LL and there's simply no denying it rationally. One has to ask if the benefit from the extra height outweights the negatives of having slight disproportion. In my case, I feel it does.

Still, most 188CM people that I meet do have sitting heights taller than my 96-97CM, some barely and some by a whole lot. I met a 196CM guy not long ago who had a 95-96CM sitting height though, so I guess I'll be ok.

And at 185-186CM, my arm span will be too short for someone 188CM tall. But it won't be painfully obvious and I doubt anyone will measure my arms to verify that my arm span correlates perfectly with my height.

Yeah and when you are on locations where height used to play a big role like a jacht boat with loafers, you will feel the equality and perfect harmony motion not how long your arms are.

Moubgf

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 07:06:58 PM »

No offense but why are you on this site and not on the juice living what 95% of the male population will never experience in their average life of existance. Baffles me bro. I feel like im done with society after this surgery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up