Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)  (Read 285728 times)

Re: Dr Franz Birkholtz (Pretoria, South Africa)
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2017, 05:46:44 PM »

Hello Dr Birkholtz, I hope you are having a good day in South Africa. Truly a beautiful country.

If you would humor me, I would like to ask some questions.

1) In your personal opinion and speaking very generally (every case is unique of course), if a man in peak physical fitness, young, flexible and dedicated to PT (Apologies, this sounds very odd) underwent the procedure, lengthened a reasonable amount of 3-4CM per segment for a total of 6-8CM gain and no complication arose, would you expect the patient to recover to a point where they were physically able to run/casually play sports to an acceptable standard?

2) I often see safety limits given as an absolute number. Would % not be more accurate, for example would 5CM on a short tibia be a much more difficult prospect than on a much larger tibia? Or are general safety limits just that, general and should be advised on a case by case situation? Do you have an upper limit you personally advise? Is it true plastic deformation occurs when the soft tissue cannot stretch anymore and is damaged more and more by further lengthening?

3) I see you stated that it is much safer to undergo cosmetic limb lengthening surgery now than 5 years ago, do you anticipate that such advancements in safety and results will carry on in the next decade? I assume this is because developments in orthopedic correction of deformity are technically the same developments that would be applied to cosmetic lengthening correct?

4) Is it true that the soft tissue isn't that much of an issue in deformity correction because the body has usually created the correct amount of soft tissue for a longer limb? I wouldn't think this is the case for Achondroplasia and the soft tissue would be relative to limb length, yet they seem to lengthen very high amounts and don't appear to run into major issues - why is this?

5) Do you like biltong?

Regards.

onemorefoot

« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »

I guess the question is whether one leg can be done and then the second leg later?

I am hesitant to do this, as this will leave the patient with a 6cm leg length discrepancy after the first surgery. If, for some reason the patient cannot return, it would be permanent.

It is also significantly more expensive than simultaneous bilateral surgery.

Another alternative would be cross-over surgery, where one femur and the opposite tibia are done at the same time. Once femur can take weight, the opposite combo of segments can be done. In this way, the LON leg becomes the stong one taking most of the weight.
Very good option, I think 11-12 cm is still a safe amount doing this un Cross way. Would the price be exactly half of the original in each technique? More or less 35k USD.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:43:04 PM by onemorefoot »
Budget will determine my future.

onemorefoot

« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2017, 04:27:10 AM »

I forgot to ask one thing: talking about subsidence, is it only a problem with pure external or there is still a chance using an hybrid method( LON, LATN)? I have read diaries of patients using pure external and lose like 1.5 cm, I hope this is not the case with hybrids.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #437 on: February 20, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »

I forgot to ask one thing: talking about subsidence, is it only a problem with pure external or there is still a chance using an hybrid method( LON, LATN)? I have read diaries of patients using pure external and lose like 1.5 cm, I hope this is not the case with hybrids.

Conceivably, once the nail or plate is locked, the only way the bone can shorten is by the nail or plate bending or failing.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2017, 08:20:59 PM »

Hello Dr Birkholtz, I hope you are having a good day in South Africa. Truly a beautiful country.

If you would humor me, I would like to ask some questions.

1) In your personal opinion and speaking very generally (every case is unique of course), if a man in peak physical fitness, young, flexible and dedicated to PT (Apologies, this sounds very odd) underwent the procedure, lengthened a reasonable amount of 3-4CM per segment for a total of 6-8CM gain and no complication arose, would you expect the patient to recover to a point where they were physically able to run/casually play sports to an acceptable standard?

2) I often see safety limits given as an absolute number. Would % not be more accurate, for example would 5CM on a short tibia be a much more difficult prospect than on a much larger tibia? Or are general safety limits just that, general and should be advised on a case by case situation? Do you have an upper limit you personally advise? Is it true plastic deformation occurs when the soft tissue cannot stretch anymore and is damaged more and more by further lengthening?

3) I see you stated that it is much safer to undergo cosmetic limb lengthening surgery now than 5 years ago, do you anticipate that such advancements in safety and results will carry on in the next decade? I assume this is because developments in orthopedic correction of deformity are technically the same developments that would be applied to cosmetic lengthening correct?

4) Is it true that the soft tissue isn't that much of an issue in deformity correction because the body has usually created the correct amount of soft tissue for a longer limb? I wouldn't think this is the case for Achondroplasia and the soft tissue would be relative to limb length, yet they seem to lengthen very high amounts and don't appear to run into major issues - why is this?

5) Do you like biltong?

Regards.

The short answer to all your questions, especially number five is YES. :-)

1) Yes, but it does depend on the individual circumstances.

2) Again, yes. To be 100% safe, the limit is 0cm lengthening. But life is not absolute and everything is a balancing act of benefit vs risk. My suggestion is to choose a good surgeon and then follwo his/her advice re safe limits. Personally I am comfortable with a risk-benefit ratio of around 5.5cm for femorals and 4.5-5cm for tibials. If the patient's starting height is more, maybe these numbers can be increased somewhat.

3) There is constant invention of new techniques and devices and development of existing ones. Technologies like Precice represent somewhat of a Revolution in thinking (disruption of the market). What will logically follow for the next few years will be gradual evolution of the system until the next revolution takes place.

4) Generally contractures in post-traumatic deformity is less of an issue. Achondroplasia is an interesting one. It is a condition that has its origins in abnormal collagen. You will recall that collagen also makes up most of the muscle and tendon structures. Because of this, these patients have much more supple soft tissues that allow tremendous amounts of lengthening quite safely.

5) Again Yes. Biltong is difficult to describe. It is a salt cured air dried meat, not dissimilar to Jerky or even Bresaola. But it needs to be experienced locally to really appreciate it. If you have gout, South Africa is maybe not the best place to visit! Barbecue, red meat, wine and beer is pretty much part of life down here.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »

Very good option, I think 11-12 cm is still a safe amount doing this un Cross way. Would the price be exactly half of the original in each technique? More or less 35k USD.

Yes around there.

ktala91641

• Visitor
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:09 AM »

Hi Dr.Fraz

I underwent limb lengthening in India and did 6.3 CM using LON in tibias.
It's been 8 months since first surgery and 5 months since frame removal. I have equinus in my right foot. I have been doing stretchings and physiotherapy daily. I don't see any improvement in ballerina. I thought of undergoing ATL surgery.
But, the experience of few patients who underwent ATL is bad. I am confused now.

I consulted couple of doctors too and some say I have to go for ATL to fix the issue.
One of doctor says, he will put fixator on me to correct the equinus foot. But, I spoke to one patient who also had fixator with Dr.Paley for correcting his Equinus. The patient says that the fixator fixed only like 60%. He says he still have tightness and he has to stretch it every morning. He is considering to go for another surgery if necessary to fix the equinus.

I heard from both the forums that ATL causes permanent weakness and even Dr. Paley says not to go for it. Few doctors say it is ok to go for it. There is one LL vetaran "Body Builder" who went for ATL and says not to go for it. His doctor seems to have over lengthened his tendon. Now, he is planning for another surgery to shorten it. He advises LL patient against ATL.

I have to take decision to go for either fixator (or) ATL.
Fixator:
It may not completly correct the issue. 2 surgeries again.
ATL:
It will correct the Equinus. But,  leaves tendon permanently weak.

Could you please give me your advise ?

Thanks in advance.

onemorefoot

« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2017, 02:36:57 AM »

Hope you are not having  very busy day , doctor:
In case of delayed consolidation what can be done?
some doctors say that ATL is not a good option becuase it has permanent bad effects on the tendon, but others say that is not wrong , in your opinion which position is more correct :)?

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #442 on: March 08, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

With regards to the two posts on Achilles tendon lengthening in this thread:

Achilles tendon lengthening is probably the best way to het rid of of improve a resistant ballerina foot. Correction with a frame post-CLL has a chance of recurrence. It is very useful for other indications of equinus contracture.

Equinus contracture after CLL can he devastating. Not performing TAL because of fear of weakening is nonsensical. If you remain with the contracture the function is nonexistent anyway.

My advice: get checked out by experienced surgeon and then follow their advice.

yyes

« Reply #443 on: March 08, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »

Dr Birkholtz,

When it comes to the Safest procedure, in your opinion which one is it?

Initially I was under the impression that it was precise in the fémurs. Lately I have been seeing that the best option are externals not only for long term safety reasons but also for aesthetic and athletic reasons.

What are your feelings when it comes to these two methods?

Sometimes I know that doctors can have biases when it comes to their preferred methods but biases out of the way and considering aesthetic and athletic goals what is the best option for a patient?

Body Builder

« Reply #444 on: March 08, 2017, 05:07:58 PM »

With regards to the two posts on Achilles tendon lengthening in this thread:

Achilles tendon lengthening is probably the best way to het rid of of improve a resistant ballerina foot. Correction with a frame post-CLL has a chance of recurrence. It is very useful for other indications of equinus contracture.

Equinus contracture after CLL can he devastating. Not performing TAL because of fear of weakening is nonsensical. If you remain with the contracture the function is nonexistent anyway.

My advice: get checked out by experienced surgeon and then follow their advice.
Dr Birkholz.

I've done atl and i have a reduction of plantar flexion in my both feet but especially in the left one where I had more equinus and my tendon lengthened more.
Also, the tension is really bad and the feeling of walking is not as it used to be.
Also, from the most patients who did atl I heard about the same symptoms. So how can you say that the fear of weakening is nonsensical while I live with tis weakening every day after I did atl?
I am really asking about your opinion because you are a respectable doctor.

Finally on he other month I am planing to do an achilles tendon shortening surgery to get back most of the tension and the power I lost due to tendon lengthening.
Do you think that this new surgery won't improve my current situation?

Finally, isn't tendon overlengthening a very usual complication of atl? If yes (and thats what I think it happened with my case), how can a doctor be sure which length he should give to the achilles tendon after atl so as to not have a big loss of power and tension?
Because if there is no way to measure precisely what length you should give to the tendon then the risk of overlengthening is another one major reason to avoid atl in my opinion.

I would like to hear your opinion with much interest.

alps

« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2017, 02:13:05 PM »

Hi Dr. Franz,

It's quite well known that femur lengthening can correct varus deformity slightly. If a patient with a varus deformity undergoes femur lengthening and has no complications during lengthening, do you think he'll be better off physically than before surgery?

shanefu123

• Visitor
« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »

Hi Dr Franz,

Thank you for being so active in the thread and community. I have learned a lot just by reading your answers to different patients here. However, I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers from your previous threads. It would be great if you could address my concerns and hopefully educate others as well.

1, I read around and hear other patients said that LON and LATN has higher rate of getting knees pain than doing external only, is that true?

2, I am 165 cm and thinking about lengthening 4cm on tibia and 5 cm on Femur. I am thinking of using external fixator only (Ilizarov Apparatus). Can I do both tibia and femur at the same time to reduce the total duration of the treatment? If so, how long will it take and what are the disadvantages of doing so? How long will the fixator stay on?

3, I have bow legs and I would like to correct my bow leg while doing the LL, will this an option and will this have a higher chance of complication than doing them separately?

4, I know you have the price mentioned earlier, but I just want to get the most updated figure. How much will it cost to do 4cm on tibia and 5 cm on Femur using external fixator only?

Thank you Dr Franz.

jbc

« Reply #447 on: March 13, 2017, 02:45:16 AM »

Hi Dr. Birkholtz,

I continue to be grateful to you for being so thorough with your responses, and the time you are giving to inform this audience. I have two questions that relate to your specific practice:

In the literature Stadiometer posted here from you, there is a mention of a 7-day step down program from the hospital. I think this is a huge difference maker of your practice and approach to this procedure in relation to other Drs., and I'd like to expand on this a bit. Specifically:

- Is it essentially a transition period after the 4-5 day post-operative period so the patient can be more or less self-sufficient once they leave the hospital and go to whatever secondary lodging they choose (guesthouse, etc.?)
- If that is the case, do you believe a personal caretaker is required after the 7 day period (counting about 11-12 days total post surgery)?
- If a personal caretaker is still required, are such folks readily available in SA?

Additionally, I really believe in post-operative physical therapy. From a surgery I had for a sports-related injury, great PT made a huge difference in my recovery. If I wanted to purchase additional PT sessions, and/or do PT 7 days a week, would this be possible (or recommended by you)?

Many thanks in advance!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:06:31 AM by jbc »

onemorefoot

« Reply #448 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:23 PM »

In case delayed consolidation, would you recommend the insertion of nails? Which is the common protocol here?

« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »

Dr Birkholtz, somebody posted the comment below in another thread concerning yourself,

Dr. Birkholtz (Orthopedic surgeon) should be able to clear this up. However, I continue to believe they're 2 different doctors. I do admit to this being a really strange coincidence, however, the qualification and graduation dates don't match. Their professional organizations (Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of South Africa and Health Professions Council of South Africa, respectively) should be able to verify this as well.

In addition to that, I guess someone can just call the hospital where Dr. Birkholtz (Orthopedic Surgeon) works and ask :)

https://goo.gl/TL2Scs

First one (plastic surgeon):

I am a South African trained plastic and reconstructive surgeon, and a full member of the Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of South Africa.

I completed my pregraduate studies at the University of Pretoria in 1992. I then worked for three years in Namibia, where I gained valuable surgical experience. It was during this time that I had the honour of working with Prof Alistair Lamont. He introduced me to the fascinating discipline of plastic and reconstructive surgery.

I started my plastic surgery training at the University of Pretoria in 1996 and completed my specialization in 2001. During this five year period, I had extensive exposure to and developed a keen interest in micro vascular reconstruction as well as cosmetic surgery.

I have been in full time private practice at the Kloof Medi Clinic in Pretoria since 2003. I am still involved at the Pretoria Academic Hospital on a session basis and have been a guest lecturer at the University of Zurich for the past two years.

The discipline of plastic and reconstructive surgery has its roots in the time of the great world wars. During this period surgeons had to develop and come up with ingenious methods of reconstructing all the disfigured soldiers. This is a far cry from the modern concept of plastic surgery being portrayed by Hollywood.

Second one (Orthopedic surgeon):

Dr Birkholtz qualified from the University of Pretoria as a medical doctor in 1997 and comes from a family of doctors. He started his post-graduate career in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2000. During his time as a registrar (resident), he created the Limb Reconstruction Unit at the Pretoria Academic Hospital (later Steve Biko Academic Hospital). During this time he developed his skills and understanding of the Ilizarov method and limb lengthening and reconstruction surgery in general. He also developed a keen interest in complex trauma. He qualified as an orthopaedic surgeon in 2006 and holds both the MMed (Orth) degree from the University of Pretoria and the FCOrth(SA) qualification from the College of Orthopaedic Surgeons of South Africa. He is fully registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa. The private practice was started in 2006 and rapidly developed into a highly renowned practice both locally and internationally, especially catering for complex trauma and limb reconstruction cases. With the addition of Dr De Lange, the practice was turned into the Walk-A-Mile Centre and has continued to grow from strength to strength.

Could you please clarify to put to rest some of the more imaginative minds on this forum, thank you.

alps

« Reply #450 on: March 19, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »

Hi Dr. Franz,

can you please give us a list of credible research papers to read to understand the nature of LL? We've seen papers on outcomes of LL based on clinical examinations and statements made by patients, but is there more granular research that we should know of? For example, lesions in nerves, deterioration of muscles, effect on blood vessel diameter to name a few (from my non-medical head). I think that's the only way we undecided prospective CLL patients we can quantify the odds of a good outcome.

Also, a lot of published research is on animals. Is there a way to extrapolate the results to humans?

Thank you

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #451 on: March 23, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

Dr Birkholtz, somebody posted the comment below in another thread concerning yourself,

Could you please clarify to put to rest some of the more imaginative minds on this forum, thank you.

Hehe, responded in that thread. (Still chuckling, though!)

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #452 on: March 23, 2017, 09:01:56 PM »

Dr Birkholtz,

When it comes to the Safest procedure, in your opinion which one is it?

Initially I was under the impression that it was precise in the fémurs. Lately I have been seeing that the best option are externals not only for long term safety reasons but also for aesthetic and athletic reasons.

What are your feelings when it comes to these two methods?

Sometimes I know that doctors can have biases when it comes to their preferred methods but biases out of the way and considering aesthetic and athletic goals what is the best option for a patient?

I think cost and logistics aside, a combination of femoral internals and tibial externals in two phase is probably the best.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #453 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:39 PM »

Dr Birkholz.

I've done atl and i have a reduction of plantar flexion in my both feet but especially in the left one where I had more equinus and my tendon lengthened more.
Also, the tension is really bad and the feeling of walking is not as it used to be.
Also, from the most patients who did atl I heard about the same symptoms. So how can you say that the fear of weakening is nonsensical while I live with tis weakening every day after I did atl?
I am really asking about your opinion because you are a respectable doctor.

Finally on he other month I am planing to do an achilles tendon shortening surgery to get back most of the tension and the power I lost due to tendon lengthening.
Do you think that this new surgery won't improve my current situation?

Finally, isn't tendon overlengthening a very usual complication of atl? If yes (and thats what I think it happened with my case), how can a doctor be sure which length he should give to the achilles tendon after atl so as to not have a big loss of power and tension?
Because if there is no way to measure precisely what length you should give to the tendon then the risk of overlengthening is another one major reason to avoid atl in my opinion.

I would like to hear your opinion with much interest.

I am sorry if I gave offence. It was not my intention.

My point was that a permanent equinus contracture is probably worse to live with than some weakening of the triceps surae (achilles).

It is difficult to judge lengthening during surgery.

As far as I am aware, the results of Achilles shortening surgery are not very good.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #454 on: March 23, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

Hi Dr. Franz,

It's quite well known that femur lengthening can correct varus deformity slightly. If a patient with a varus deformity undergoes femur lengthening and has no complications during lengthening, do you think he'll be better off physically than before surgery?

No. Slight varus does not translate into poorer physical function. The only potential issue is degenerative changes in the long term.
Lengthening will almost always diminish your physical ability (even if slightly).

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #455 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:56 PM »

Hi Dr Franz,

Thank you for being so active in the thread and community. I have learned a lot just by reading your answers to different patients here. However, I have a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers from your previous threads. It would be great if you could address my concerns and hopefully educate others as well.

1, I read around and hear other patients said that LON and LATN has higher rate of getting knees pain than doing external only, is that true?

2, I am 165 cm and thinking about lengthening 4cm on tibia and 5 cm on Femur. I am thinking of using external fixator only (Ilizarov Apparatus). Can I do both tibia and femur at the same time to reduce the total duration of the treatment? If so, how long will it take and what are the disadvantages of doing so? How long will the fixator stay on?

3, I have bow legs and I would like to correct my bow leg while doing the LL, will this an option and will this have a higher chance of complication than doing them separately?

4, I know you have the price mentioned earlier, but I just want to get the most updated figure. How much will it cost to do 4cm on tibia and 5 cm on Femur using external fixator only?

Thank you Dr Franz.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

1. Yes, approximately 20-25% rate of knee pain in literature. This is probably lower with newer nailing techniques like suprapatellar nailing.

2. I do not perform exfix lenghtening for CLL on the femur. On the tibia the fixator stays on for 1.5-2 months per cm lengthened.

3. Bowleg correction is easy to do with a hexapod fixator like the TSF or TLHex, both of which I have vast experience in. This is best combined with the lengthening procedure.

4. External only tibia with bowleg correction is the cost of exfix only tibial lengthening as explained in the pdf brochure posted earlier in this thread.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #456 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

Hi Dr. Birkholtz,

I continue to be grateful to you for being so thorough with your responses, and the time you are giving to inform this audience. I have two questions that relate to your specific practice:

In the literature Stadiometer posted here from you, there is a mention of a 7-day step down program from the hospital. I think this is a huge difference maker of your practice and approach to this procedure in relation to other Drs., and I'd like to expand on this a bit. Specifically:

- Is it essentially a transition period after the 4-5 day post-operative period so the patient can be more or less self-sufficient once they leave the hospital and go to whatever secondary lodging they choose (guesthouse, etc.?) Yes absolutely
- If that is the case, do you believe a personal caretaker is required after the 7 day period (counting about 11-12 days total post surgery)? Normally not
- If a personal caretaker is still required, are such folks readily available in SA? Yes. Anything is available in SA (sometimes at a price ;-) )

Additionally, I really believe in post-operative physical therapy. From a surgery I had for a sports-related injury, great PT made a huge difference in my recovery. If I wanted to purchase additional PT sessions, and/or do PT 7 days a week, would this be possible (or recommended by you)? PT is essential in a good outcome. The physios can typically provide extra sessions during the week. Weekends would be difficult, but again, maybe two days rest out of every 5 of active PT is not a bad idea.

Many thanks in advance!!

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #457 on: March 23, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »

In case delayed consolidation, would you recommend the insertion of nails? Which is the common protocol here?

I am not sure I follow the question. Do you mean with exfix lengthening?

Then we tend to default to submuscular plating and frame removal.

Franz

• Verified LL Doctor
« Reply #458 on: March 23, 2017, 09:19:31 PM »

Hi Dr. Franz,

can you please give us a list of credible research papers to read to understand the nature of LL? We've seen papers on outcomes of LL based on clinical examinations and statements made by patients, but is there more granular research that we should know of? For example, lesions in nerves, deterioration of muscles, effect on blood vessel diameter to name a few (from my non-medical head). I think that's the only way we undecided prospective CLL patients we can quantify the odds of a good outcome.

Also, a lot of published research is on animals. Is there a way to extrapolate the results to humans?

Thank you

Unfortunately literature on CLL is quite sparse and on lengthening in general also. Animal studies should not be extrapolated to humans generally.

There is good ongoing research on muscle and bone lengthening.

I understand that you want to undescore your decisions based on scientific evidence. As a scientist myself, I respect that desire. The sad truth is that no paper with quantify the risk in your individual case, as it depends on too many factors: genetics, surgeon, unforeseen complications, starting height, lengthening goals, lengthening techniques, physio etc etc. Very difficult to standardise these factors to study them scientifically.

Apologies for the fuzzy answer, though.

Body Builder

« Reply #459 on: March 23, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »

I am sorry if I gave offence. It was not my intention.

My point was that a permanent equinus contracture is probably worse to live with than some weakening of the triceps surae (achilles).

It is difficult to judge lengthening during surgery.

As far as I am aware, the results of Achilles shortening surgery are not very good.
In the only study about AT shortening, the results were quite successful as all patients said they feeling their gait normal again and the push off power restored to more than 80% compared to the uninjured foot.

Do you know something else or have a personal experience that AT shortening surgery didn't work?

Thank you for your time dr Birkholz and your precious contribution on this forum.

onemorefoot

« Reply #460 on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:28 AM »

I mean if delayed consolidation happens, which are the possible options that can be done.

« Reply #461 on: March 28, 2017, 08:21:16 PM »

Dr Birkholtz, thank you for your providing further advice to the forum, it is invaluable and we all appreciate it. I have been reading some research as of late and am confident certain complementary therapies will be approved for orthopedic use to benefit soft tissue adaptation in the near future or be adopted/recommended in the field. Unfortunately, there appears to be much research on the actual distraction and surgical procedure but very little soft tissue tolerance and adaption, long term consequence, statistics and issues apart from invasive and questionable soft tissue release - do you find this to be true? I have great interest in preventing or managing soft tissue damage as the actual distraction seems 'relatively' straightforward for satisfactory results with a competent surgeon and opinions remain relatively in line with one another, opinions on managing soft tissue vary greatly.

Anyway, I have several questions I wish to ask your opinion on;

A) Rate of Lengthening?

I have read some interesting studies on the effects of lengthening rate and the impact on muscular structure and soft tissue damage. As you had said, it would be unwise to extrapolate animal studies to humans but many complications and bad outcomes appear to be at the very least, impacted by excessive lengthening. For some reason, lengthening rate appears to have increased from the recommended 0.5/6mm daily, I have seen examples of up to 2mm daily and I do not believe that soft tissues can adapt to such a rate causing further damage.

Besides the inconvenience and excess time taken, from a purely theoretical point, would the optimal rate of lengthening not be the absolute lowest possible (<0.5mm) split into smaller amounts (5x daily - people have reported less pain with lengthening split - opinion?) throughout the day without risking pre-consolidation and other issues? This of course would be made more difficult with excessive lengthening but with conservative amounts of ~4cm would it not be beneficial? I genuinely believe rate of lengthening plays a massive part to recovery and potential damage. Could it theoretically also be beneficial to split the process into 2 procedures on a single segment with a year recuperation in between for adaptation, for example with the goal of an inch for each process resulting in 2 inches?

What I find very interesting is something that you have mentioned previously, that cell division actually occurs, myogenesis happens to some degree as a reaction to lengthening. As I understand this, this is true adaptation to the new length, at least some of the muscle cells are actually created to compensate for the length of bone rather than stretching - could there be an optimal rate in which myogenesis occurs and damage is prevented? Could this be the key at this moment in time to achieving the best recovery?

We used an experimental rabbit model of leg lengthening to study the morphology and function of muscle after different distraction rates. Lengthening was in twice-daily increments from 0.4 to 4 mm per day. New contractile tissue formed during lengthening, but some damage to the muscle fibres was seen even at rates of less than 1 mm per day; abnormalities increased with larger rates of lengthening. There was proliferation of fibrous tissue between the muscle fibres at distraction rates of over 1 mm per day.

Active muscle function showed adaptation when the rate was 1.0 mm per day or less, but muscle compliance was normal only after rates of 0.4 mm per day. Muscle responded more favourably at rates of distraction slower than those shown to lead to the most prolific bone formation. At present the rate of distraction in clinical practice is determined mainly by factors which enhance osteogenesis. Our study suggeststhat it may be advisable to use a slower rate of elongation in patients with poor muscle compliance associated with the underlying pathology; this will allow better accommodation by the contractile and connective tissues of the muscles.

B) Strong Muscles or Weak Muscles?

Most doctors advise that a prospective patient be physically fit (as is advised for all surgeries). Many then seem to concentrate on femur/hamstring/calf hypertrophy and strengthening. Are excessively strong and hypertrophied muscles detrimental to lengthening as stiff muscular structures are or is there no appreciable difference as long as a good level of flexibility is maintained? Would a prospective patient be better spending time on extra flexibility and cardiovascular health in an attempt to minimize hypertrophy? I ask this as I read a PubMed study on the application of Botulinum Toxin A being used during distraction to limit damage to tendons and soft tissues through the weakening of the muscular structures, it seemed to have a notable beneficial effect - what is your opinion on this? This also leads on to...

C) Physical Therapy?

It seems to me physical therapy is important for 3 main reasons; 1) To encourage blood flow and healthy bone regrowth 2) To maintain flexibility as supple muscles lengthen much easier than stiff ones minimizing complications such as equinus 3) To prevent major atrophy leading a poor physical condition upon consolidation which will take substantial time and effort to solve but is fully reversible.

This makes me wonder if the excessive physical therapy - hours of hard pedaling on a stationary bike could be detrimental to lengthening and further damage recently stretched tissues prior to an adaptation by exercising them excessively, making the muscles stiff and misplacing the body's much needed reserves for healing and adaptation. It would seem better to attempt to retain some muscular strength and improve blood flow through limited steady, slow pace stationary bike but to focus mostly on flexibility, relaxing the muscles rather than excessive contractions and and use and weight bearing when possible leading.

D) Massage and Timing of Lengthening?

Another study I read was on the benefits of massage and hyperbaric oxygen therapy, though I'll not ask about the latter! Carrying on from the previous two questions, what is your opinion on the benefits of massage therapy to aid in ensuring the muscles are supple and reducing stiffness while increasing blood flow during lengthening? I see very little people mention it and I believe it could be highly beneficial. To follow on from this, does the timing of lengthening matter or is it negligible in the grand scheme of the process? - For example, massage and warming up for blood flow and suppleness prior to using the Precice device rather than lengthening a 'cold' and stiff muscle?

E) Soft Tissue Damage - Linear or Exponential?

Soft tissue has its elastic limits before plastic deformation and major damage occur. From what you have witnessed, where does this occur? Beyond 10% of initial length or is it once again individual? Is this why the 5cm rule exists as it appears to be the upper limit before major soft tissue damage and complication? Now to the main question, would I be correct in think that damage is not linear and is exponential in nature? For example, lengthening to to the elastic limit is generally safer than lengthening beyond that limit at which damage occurs, that lengthening from 5cm (hypothetically the elastic limit) is less damaging than from 5cm to 6cm and beyond that, the damage compounds which each centimeter lengthened.

F) The True Physical Potential After Lengthening

As I understand it, the nature of lengthening and the soft tissue damage is different than most other injuries as they don't change the length of the soft tissue permanently, are there any injuries similar to that of limb lengthening? Many athletes suffer from permanent and debilitating injuries from bad breaks, completely torn cuffs and muscles, snapped tendons that need reattaching etc. many of these injuries can be worked around even if they are never quite as good as before, unfortunately some end sporting careers as they can no longer compete in the top 1 or 2% but by normal standards still remain incredibly fit and athletic, much more than the general population. In your opinion, is there anyway this could be possible with limb lengthening? That through physical therapy and rehabilitation the injury could be almost imperceptible or is the damage to soft tissue just too big of a hit to be able to function to anywhere near the initial level even with perfect conditions and minor lengthening? As much I am an optimist, I fear it may be the latter as I realize that with most injuries, the tissue isn't permanently stretched and in a weakened state, the muscle unable to truly contract to the same degree due to the change of distance between insertion points - almost to the point of your new 'normal' length being similar to standing on your tip toes or beyond prior to lengthening, would this be accurate?

G) The Future

With improvements being made in every aspect, from distraction technology such as that of Precise and its upcoming iteration, studies into stem cell therapy and cartilage regrowth to studies into complementary therapies and the usage of things such as botox to prevent the damage initially, do you believe the success and ease of orthopedics and by extension limb lengthening will improve substantially within the next few decades?

H) Ultrasound Bone Healing

Do you have experience or an opinion on 'at home' ultrasound devices for consolidation such as the Exogen device?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:13:23 PM by 682 »

onemorefoot

« Reply #462 on: May 23, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »

I mean if delayed consolidation happens, which are the possible options that can be done.
Sorry, I didnt mention external fixators, I forgot delayed consolidation with internal nails  :)

« Reply #463 on: May 23, 2017, 06:28:02 AM »

Hi Dr. Franz
Some Asians have short arms, how do you look at arm Lengthening?

sweetone6

• Visitor
« Reply #464 on: September 13, 2017, 12:53:59 PM »

:)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up