Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do internal rods fit smaller people? Or do they have to settle for externals.  (Read 901 times)

naimah99

• Visitor

Hello,
   I am a 4’8” (144cm) girl who is planning to get two limb lengthening surgeries (one in the femurs first, and later on in the Tibias). One of my biggest concerns is the fact that I’m soooo small. Meaning that my bones are smaller in length (not so sure if I’m width too). But my problem is that I have always only considered the internal Precice or Stryde methods, mainly because they are less painful, the recovery seems to be more efficient, and there is minimal scarring compared to the external method. Now I am worried that because of my size; the rods will not be able to fit my femurs or tibias and my worst nightmare of the externals will come true. Can anyone speak out about this? Would the rods not fit because the width of my bones is too small or the length is too short? Has anyone close to my height done this surgery with the internals?

ShortLivesMatter

It mainly depends on your bone width. The internal rods are not long so length should not be an issue even with your height. The smallest Precise nail is 8.5mm and the smallest Stryde nail is 10mm.  I am taking a guess but I would say that the 8.5mm Precise nail would fit in your femur, if you are lucky and big boned for your size your femur might be able to handle the 10mm Stryde. As for your tibia, I doubt the Stryde nail can fit, the 8.5mm Precise might be able to.

Ghostfish

It mainly depends on your bone width. The internal rods are not long so length should not be an issue even with your height. The smallest Precise nail is 8.5mm and the smallest Stryde nail is 10mm.  I am taking a guess but I would say that the 8.5mm Precise nail would fit in your femur, if you are lucky and big boned for your size your femur might be able to handle the 10mm Stryde. As for your tibia, I doubt the Stryde nail can fit, the 8.5mm Precise might be able to.
Hi naimah99
I mostly agree with SLM.  But I saw a girl who did quadrilateral lengthening with Stryde in Paley institute who is about your size.  She was doing great.  I am sure your femurs can take 10 mm Stryde nails.  If you can't take Stryde nails for tibias, then you can use Precice.  However, Precice is not full weight bearing, meaning that you can't do quadrilateral ll with Stryde for femurs and Precice for tibias because there is no point of it.  If you plan to do CLL one by one like femurs first and tibias next about one year later, you can have different nails.

Have a consultation with Drs.  You should have some options for CLL.  So don't worry.

naimah99

• Visitor

Thank you!

naimah99

• Visitor

Thank you so much for your reply @shortlivesmatter! This information and measurements of the rods were really helpful! I am going to try to find a way to know what the size of my femurs and tibias are. I am eventually going to have a consultation with Dr. Mahboubian (which is the doctor I am planning to do the surgery with), but in the meantime it’s killing me to know the size of my bones. I just reallly don’t want to have to go for the external method. I’m terrified of the pain and scarring of the external method.

naimah99

• Visitor

Hi naimah99
I mostly agree with SLM.  But I saw a girl who did quadrilateral lengthening with Stryde in Paley institute who is about your size.  She was doing great.  I am sure your femurs can take 10 mm Stryde nails.  If you can't take Stryde nails for tibias, then you can use Precice.  However, Precice is not full weight bearing, meaning that you can't do quadrilateral ll with Stryde for femurs and Precice for tibias because there is no point of it.  If you plan to do CLL one by one like femurs first and tibias next about one year later, you can have different nails.

Have a consultation with Drs.  You should have some options for CLL.  So don't worry.

Thank you so much for your reply @Ghostfish. Very useful information! I am glad to know that someone my size has used the internal rods. And you are correct about the fact that if I’m going to be doing the stryde on the femur and precice on the tibia there’s really no point, but I have heard that with the stryde method you can heal faster, so maybe if I do it this way my femur will heal faster even though I wouldn’t be able to walk due to the tibia rod. I am thinking to get the tibia surgery a few months after my femur surgery. Anyway, I really hope you’re right and that even just the precice will fit into my femurs at least. I’d hate to have to go through the external method and ensure that pain when there are better methods already available. I will definitely consult with the surgeon once I’m ready. What do you think about Dr. Mahboubian as a surgeon? I know this has nothing to do with the topic but just a question. You all seem to be much more experienced.

Ghostfish

Thank you so much for your reply @Ghostfish. Very useful information! I am glad to know that someone my size has used the internal rods. And you are correct about the fact that if I’m going to be doing the stryde on the femur and precice on the tibia there’s really no point, but I have heard that with the stryde method you can heal faster, so maybe if I do it this way my femur will heal faster even though I wouldn’t be able to walk due to the tibia rod. I am thinking to get the tibia surgery a few months after my femur surgery. Anyway, I really hope you’re right and that even just the precice will fit into my femurs at least. I’d hate to have to go through the external method and ensure that pain when there are better methods already available. I will definitely consult with the surgeon once I’m ready. What do you think about Dr. Mahboubian as a surgeon? I know this has nothing to do with the topic but just a question. You all seem to be much more experienced.
Hi naimah99
I am glad that what I said is useful for you.  I have been in this forum for many years and finally did CLL.  Although Drs. can tell you everything you need, I can tell you that you should be able to do CLL as long as you are healthy and motivated. The female patient I mentioned is a small girl who is about 145cm, I think.  She did Strdye for both legs.  Based on this, it is very likely you can do that too.  In case your tibias can't take Stryde nails, you can use Precice.  In this case, I recommend you to do tibias first instead of femurs.  Because lengthening and recovery for tibias are slower than ones for femurs, doing tibias first will give them some time to catch up with femurs during recovery. 

I don't really know about Dr. M, since I did my cll with Dr. Paley, but he seems a very decent doctor for CLL based on LSM(InFullStryde)'s diary. Plus, there is another doctor in Las Vegas, who is Dr. Debiparshad.  jaybam is going to do cll with him.  As far as I know, both of them were trained under Dr. Paley.  Dr. D's price seems a little cheaper than other choices (Dr. M and Dr. Paley).  Dr. D and Dr. M allow patients go home for lengthening as long as they come to see him on the regular base, which could be another important factor if you live nearby their hospital.

Good luck!!

Lalbadshah

Ghostfish, with your knowledge and experience , I need your opinion on something - sent you a PM plz respond to me through PM, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up