Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LL, AL patients and airport security  (Read 24628 times)

Shane_19@hotmail.ca

• Visitor
LL, AL patients and airport security
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »

Hey guys just a question that came to mind. Those who have done arm and leg lengthening, what have you said to airport security when the metal detectors go off from the metal in your body? Serious question.

Overdozer

Re: LL, AL patients and airport security
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:59 AM »

Lol. They search you manually. (Yes, that means you can hide a gun inside your anus while limb lengthening and transfer it anywhere)
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

programdude

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »

I've heard different things, one of which is that precice doesn't set off the alarms. Who knows though, I think I also heard from another source that it does.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

YellowSpike

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:23:51 PM »

I called the airline ahead of time and arranged for help. I didn't actually go through those security detectors, they just manually searched me while I was in the wheelchair and my carry-on luggage. So while I had a doctor's note ready just in case, I bypassed the issue altogether.

ItsMyLife

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »

I called the airline ahead of time and arranged for help. I didn't actually go through those security detectors, they just manually searched me while I was in the wheelchair and my carry-on luggage. So while I had a doctor's note ready just in case, I bypassed the issue altogether.

They didn't even search me or scan me at Moscow Domodedovo airport and Qatar, and Singapore Changi airport.

joax

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »

ItsMyLife, how was your flying experience? How did you get to your seat in the plane?

YellowSpike

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:14:24 PM »

ItsMyLife, how was your flying experience? How did you get to your seat in the plane?

Not sure about ItsMyLife, but when I called the airline ahead of time, they arranged for me to get a wheelchair (the first time I was ever in one!) from the luggage check-in spot to the actual terminal. Then, when the flight begins boarding, they wheel you to the actual plane itself, and then help you get to your seat if you need it. I was lucky to get a seat with a lot of legroom. Then, when the flight lands, they wheel you again from the plane through customs (if you were doing an international flight like I did) and security, to luggage, and then finally to whoever is gonna pick you up.

YellowSpike

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:34:07 PM »

Yeah, airlines usually have that service. It's called Assistance or Services for PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility).

Yeah, they make you check into this little area right after you check in your luggage. I was never on a wheelchair throughout LL except for the airport. But man, my knees kept acting up while I was sitting in the chair and on the plane. Such an uncomfortable experience and horrible 7hour flight.

heightangel

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »

Do you have to pay for that service?

YellowSpike

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 12:23:28 AM »

Do you have to pay for that service?

Nope, it should be complimentary with your ticket. I definitely didn't pay for it.

YellowSpike

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »

Yes, it's included. :D

It was the only time I've been in a wheelchair my entire life! I felt so bad that my relative had to see me like that, but I couldn't carry all that luggage on my own!

YellowSpike

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 12:57:40 AM »

Yeahh, not nice... People are not aware that this is cosmetic (and elective) surgery, and you get many pitiful regards and comments ('Oh, sweetie, are you disabled for life?'). I don't like that, but I prefer this rather than being judged for having done LL.

I had some woman accuse me of following her and harassing her while I was abroad. On crutches, in a local cafe, I asked if she was getting up because she appeared to be leaving. She said so. I then went outside to site on a bench to wait for a chair, and she lit up a cigarette right in front of me. I then politely asked her to move because I just had surgery. She went off on me, called me a "cripple" and said "I'm sorry you never really had a chance in life." LOL!

Thank God my PT was with me, because I was really about to take one of my crutches and shove it up her ass. I'm a super nice guy and not confrontational like that...but that was just straight up mean, and for no reason!

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 01:51:39 AM »

She went off on me, called me a "cripple" and said "I'm sorry you never really had a chance in life." LOL!

shes in pain. you should have given her a hug. :)
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 01:53:42 AM »

you get many pitiful regards and comments 'Oh, sweetie, are you disabled for life?'

I guess that is 1 disadvantage to internals lol.

people see my monorails, and always assume its temporary.

you should attach fake monorails lol

truthfully I always thought it was because I look so good spirited, I think people assumed that it was temporary because I didn't look dismal.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

YellowSpike

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 01:55:08 AM »

shes in pain. you should have given her a hug. :)

I tried to calm her down by referring to has a "ma'am" a few times. I was very polite (I'm a polite person in general). She then said "IT'S NOT MA'AM, IT'S WOMAN!" Isn't it more rude to say "Now listen, WOMAN!!" Sheesh! My PT saw the whole thing, and said that he thought she was mentally ill. Probably.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 02:00:44 AM »

LOL I would never have said  "ma'am" lol

you have to talk to them like their a child.

you have to look at them and with the correct tone which I cant describe in writing, in which you avert your eyes from their eyes(at the right time while then shifting to hand gestures) tilt your head and still maintain  the focus of your gait towards their head.

get them to come closer.

then in a kind voice tone of also which I cant describe, ask tell me whats wrong, you look like something is making you unhappy. in which your eyes shift to looking directly in their eyes.

trust me if you know what to say they will talk to you. it might seem impossible, but its not. you have to be sincere though.
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »

yea I really didn't describe that well . lol and a lot of things I left out in between all those descriptions. lol oh well. lol

just know its always possible to talk to anyone. lol you should practice walking up to angry looking women and video tape it lol
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

YellowSpike

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 02:09:23 AM »

I didn't really care, I just wanted a place to sit with no cigarettes being blown in my face lol

Whereintheworld?

External frames- Flying?
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »

Has anyone here flown while still in external frames?

What was your experience?

Bigpoppapump

Re: External frames- Flying?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

Yes I have

TBH it was pretty awful. Inconsiderate passengers are the problem. One Asian guy asked me to get up pointing at the inside seats I assumed he wanted in I told him my legs were broken and he just started pointing at the seats. I stood up and sat on the arm rest he then proceeded to put his luggage in the overhead locker and wasn't even needing in the seats.

The airstrwardesses were very helpful I will say. The airport staff were a huge help as well. The journey itself was pretty unpleasant, sitting for 9.5 hours in a seat hurts when you've lost 30+ Kgs of muscle and you are sitting on bones. You cant stretch your legs either because of the frames it's horrible TBH. I was emaciated by the time I got back from China I weighed 103kgs at the start of the year when I left I weighed 68kgs. The food in China was beyond terrible.

It's not a pleasant experience I had to get up and walk on two external fixators at least 3 times if you are not physically strong you will struggle badly.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2016, 11:19:04 PM »

Ah, I was already envisioning having an experience like the one you've just described. I think I may change may travel plans.

Bigpoppapump

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 01:08:39 AM »

Yes id advise that tbh its not something id do again tbh. The only reason i did it was because i couldnt stomach another day in Beijing the severe boredom and the food was just way too much.

The Kaiser

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:03:40 AM »

After my LL surgeries I haven't actually gone through those security detectors. They have always manually searched me, as YS says.

Yes, flights can be pretty annoying, especially when you need using the toilet.

My grandfather faced the same problem and they manually checked him. so no worries about this issue

patientdad

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 02:27:10 AM »

We went on a trip (airplane), and my son still had the rods in.  It was not a problem.

KrP1

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »

They dont detect the internal Nails. Almost fitbone

ibuse

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 01:07:05 AM »

I have two IM nails from LATN and two nuss bars from a chest surgery. Neither one has ever caused an alarm. However, when I came back home on crutches, they did pull me aside to do the wand/grope search. They also took my crutches while i was getting scanned to do an x-ray on them with my luggage.

Honore

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »

Not sure about ItsMyLife, but when I called the airline ahead of time, they arranged for me to get a wheelchair (the first time I was ever in one!) from the luggage check-in spot to the actual terminal. Then, when the flight begins boarding, they wheel you to the actual plane itself, and then help you get to your seat if you need it. I was lucky to get a seat with a lot of legroom. Then, when the flight lands, they wheel you again from the plane through customs (if you were doing an international flight like I did) and security, to luggage, and then finally to whoever is gonna pick you up.

wow!, how much did you lengthen?  :) :)

inchesmatter

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 04:51:13 AM »

I had mobility assistance at the airport and they wheeled me around in a wheelchair and no one ever even knew about the metal nail in my legs. However, they patted me down instead of me going through the X-ray machines, so they didn’t even know I had them in me.

Future Skycraper

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2021, 06:41:17 PM »

Thank God my PT was with me, because I was really about to take one of my crutches and shove it up her ass. I'm a super nice guy and not confrontational like that...but that was just straight up mean, and for no reason!
[/quote]

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2022, 06:24:45 PM »

This is literally the last thing I would ever care about with this surgery.  Just say you were in a car accident and have metal rods in your legs.  Then they do whatever and you move on.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up