Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: My Experience So Far- External Monolateral - Dr Mitkovic  (Read 89206 times)

microman

Re: My Experience So Far- External Monolateral - Dr Mitkovic
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2015, 09:25:09 PM »

im glad they are frindly as i wont have any dinars to give to them at the end of the trip, maybe they will take it from mitkovic if i give it to them? is there english not too bad, as they friends with mitkovic or are they a special drivers service.

hmm okay, does mitkovic allow you to bank wire transer the surgery bill, as i hear you get charged badly for using your card directly.

also are you aloud beer while lengthening? that may help the process go a bit quicker.

Descreteuser

« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2015, 11:00:55 PM »

* Wednesday 1st July - Had to get an X-ray today to check how my callus was getting along. Had to get it done at the military hospital as the normal place i go to was closed for small renovations. No one really spoke english there so took me a while before they figured out what i wanted. I got the X rays and automatically turned into worry mode. My left leg was still just as mis-aligned as before he corrected it over a month ago. I Started worrying as the callus on my left leg had formed quite alot and thought if the alignment was a problem, it might not be able to be fixed. The doctor came visited me and guaranteed me it was completely fine. He explained very clearly this time and i finally understood why it wasnt a problem. He sent me information on acceptable alignments on anterior/posterior angulation as well as a picture of my x ray which showed what my degree of mis alignment was. Turns out mine was 1.7 degrees and there is acceptable alignment of up to 10 degrees. The Information along with a clear understanding made me sure everything was going to be ok with how my legs are. If only i understood all of this earlier it would have saved me a huge amount of stress.

* Saturday 4th July - Went for a long walk without my crutches. I had heavy hip swaying but it was good to be walking quite a long distance un-aided. It was extremely tiring but in a good way. Its strange looking back on it all not being able to walk all that time and all of a sudden feeling kinda close to being back to normal life.

* Tuesday 7th July - I felt i was able to get around well enough now to join a gym. I went down the road and signed up for a month package. I did a shoulder and tricep session and spent a bit of time on a cross trainer. I also did a very light leg workout trying to get some strength back in my legs. Ive decided ill do one leg workout after every workout from now on.

* Wednesday 8th July - I decided to get a physio to my hotel room for a session and ask him about my knee extension and what i can do to get this back as soon as possible. I told him the stretches ive been doing and he told me that stretching is only half the job, and only works the muscles at the back of your legs. He ran through a whole lot of other exercises that will not only target the muscles at the back, but also target the ones on the front. He said the exercises will build strength in all my leg muscles which in turn will correct my knee extension and eliminate my equines completely which i still had in both legs. He told me if i follow this routine strictly 3 times per day, i should be able to stand completely straight within 1 months time. He also mentioned i shouldnt do long walks without my crutches as it will harm my body from being hunched over. He suggested to only walk with crutches for the time being as they force you to have your back straight when walking, as well as waiting until i can stand completely straight before walking long distances without crutches. I also had him look at my x rays and he said side my alignments were completely fine and have nothing to do with my poor leg extension.
starting height 181cm (afternoon height)
final height     185.1cm  (afternoon height)   

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »

who is this physio person, is this person associated with dr. mitkovic.

how much does he charge per session and would you recomend you use him instead of doing self physio?

Descreteuser

« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2015, 12:14:37 AM »

who is this physio person, is this person associated with dr. mitkovic.

how much does he charge per session and would you recomend you use him instead of doing self physio?

u only need to see him a couple of times.. i could pretty much just tell u what he told me.. save u money.. he just gives u a routine.. and u just have to stick to it..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2015, 12:24:06 AM »

i still like the option of hiring someone to do the actual stretches with me, that might be a good idea, but i will see how i can cope with it on my own first.

Descreteuser

« Reply #191 on: July 09, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »

i still like the option of hiring someone to do the actual stretches with me, that might be a good idea, but i will see how i can cope with it on my own first.

the exercises dont require assistance.. so hed basically just watch u exercise.. not really worth paying him every day for nor reason.. ill show u the exercises anyway if ya want..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #192 on: July 09, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

okay sounds good.

Want More

« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »

Can you record you when you walking?Is big difference betwen your walking now and before?
I need only 5cm.

microman

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:12 PM »

could i clean my pin sites and change bandages weekly at home myself, provided i have the necessasy tools and knowledge.

also how long does the process take to change bandages and clean pin sites, is it a 20 minute job?

i only ask because i don't think my GP or private hospital will do such a job, they may do x ray though, but only with referal letter.

Descreteuser

« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »

Can you record you when you walking?Is big difference betwen your walking now and before?

ive recorded myself every sunday from when i finished lengthening.. if u want u can private message me ur email and i can send u them

wingspan 180

Descreteuser

« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2015, 02:48:45 PM »

could i clean my pin sites and change bandages weekly at home myself, provided i have the necessasy tools and knowledge.

also how long does the process take to change bandages and clean pin sites, is it a 20 minute job?

i only ask because i don't think my GP or private hospital will do such a job, they may do x ray though, but only with referal letter.

yes and not a hard process.. probably takes 10 to 20 minutes..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

great, thanks a lot man, a big load of my mind.

hopefully dr. mitkovic will sell me a few months worth of the supplies needed to clean the pin sites as well as cahnge bandages, but we will see when it comes down to that.

obviously if a major infection happens or pin breaks I will have to get a plane back to serbia, but as you have said there is not much of a chance of that happening, but we will see.

also how necessary is the montly x-ray, can it not be maybe an x-ray every 2 months instead? i maen i don't see what the x-ray would show other than how far we are to being fully healed?, in which case can it be done in larger intervals.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:46:56 PM by microman »

Descreteuser

« Reply #198 on: July 10, 2015, 05:41:58 PM »

great, thanks a lot man, a big load of my mind.

hopefully dr. mitkovic will sell me a few months worth of the supplies needed to clean the pin sites as well as cahnge bandages, but we will see when it comes down to that.

obviously if a major infection happens or pin breaks I will have to get a plane back to serbia, but as you have said there is not much of a chance of that happening, but we will see.

also how necessary is the montly x-ray, can it not be maybe an x-ray every 2 months instead? i maen i don't see what the x-ray would show other than how far we are to being fully healed?, in which case can it be done in larger intervals.

during distraction phase id suggest 1 every 2 week.s but once uve finished lengthening, one ever 1.5 months would be fine.. just to check for consolidation

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »

great news getting one every 6 weeks would be easier, my private hospital isn't completly helpful, they are very hesitant about it for some reason but if dr. mitkovics writes a letter in english explanaing the situation it should hopefully be fine, at least they said it would.

microman

« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »

is this how scarring will look on mitkovics device, because if so those scars look quite decent compared to the ilazarov scars, might not actually get scar revision surgery if they look like that, you could even cover some of them up with a simple plaster.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 09:55:04 PM by microman »

crimsontide

« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2015, 10:11:25 PM »

those scars are much worse than normal ilizarov scars

Descreteuser

« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »

is this how scarring will look on mitkovics device, because if so those scars look quite decent compared to the ilazarov scars, might not actually get scar revision surgery if they look like that, you could even cover some of them up with a simple plaster.

god no.. the scars from this device look much better than that..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »

oh really, it looks way better than that picture i saw of KiloKAHN's LON scars.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »

Kilokahn had a lot of pins stuck into his leg because he's a big guy, so that's not necessarily what the Ilizarov scars are going to look like either.  I was 135 lbs when I did the surgery and got away with only four pins per leg: two by the knee and two by the ankle.

Where did you find that photo?

microman

« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »

it's on the old forum, body builders diary, he got monorails with a dr. he prefered not to name, the device looked kind of cool though, much more minimalistic than mitkovics.

microman

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2015, 01:18:14 AM »

DiscreteUser if my bones pre-consolidate, can I stop lengthening and go to the consolidation phase and not have to do the re-cutting operation, or must the re-cutting of fibula be done.

obviously the height i have gained to that point would be my final height.

Descreteuser

« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2015, 01:33:26 AM »

DiscreteUser if my bones pre-consolidate, can I stop lengthening and go to the consolidation phase and not have to do the re-cutting operation, or must the re-cutting of fibula be done.

obviously the height i have gained to that point would be my final height.

your tibias arent going to consolidate its just ur fibulas u have to worry bout.. but i doubt ur fibulas will consolidate that fast anyway.. if u havent reached ur goal and fibulas do consolidate u may need minor surgery to recut the fibula so u can continue lengthening.. but i doubt ull have to do that

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2015, 01:37:05 AM »

but it happened to you after about 3cm didn't it, why wouldn't it happen to me lol.

but yes if that does happen, i can call it quits on the whole thing then, as if that does happen at the 4cm mark it is likely i will do that, rather than another re surgery for another cm.

Descreteuser

« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2015, 02:27:31 PM »

but it happened to you after about 3cm didn't it, why wouldn't it happen to me lol.

but yes if that does happen, i can call it quits on the whole thing then, as if that does happen at the 4cm mark it is likely i will do that, rather than another re surgery for another cm.

if u read my diary it goes through what happened to me at the start.. where i changed my mind when i only had my right leg broken and decided i wasnt going to follow through. i didnt start lengthening the right leg until almost 3 weeks in,, because id been walkin on it, my early indecision to lengthen prevented my fibula from pulling apart quick enough and allowed it to consolidate..

wingspan 180

microman

« Reply #210 on: July 12, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »

okay thanks for that explanation, I will just assume that wont happen with me then.

but yeah i did find it wierd he did only one leg for you first, apprently so it was more comfortable for you? i don't think i have ever come across that on any diary but i will ask him more details about that during consultation.

Want More

« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2015, 12:40:31 AM »

Descreteuser how you feel now? Did you improve your walking since 10th july? Do you feel any pain?
I need only 5cm.

Descreteuser

« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2015, 01:17:10 AM »

Descreteuser how you feel now? Did you improve your walking since 10th july? Do you feel any pain?

yes walking is slowly improving.. i dont notice it day by day but the videos show me how much im improving week per week.. comparing my video yesterday to a week ago is quite drastic.. walking is however still very tiring.. but im sure that over the next couple of months that it will return back to 100% normal and hopefully should have both my frames off by mid october..

wingspan 180

endomorphisme

« Reply #213 on: July 24, 2015, 09:14:20 PM »

are you sure to avoid long life pain?
That's my biggest worry, even though i only consider 3.5 cm which is 10 times safer than 7.5 cm, i couldn't handle my life.

Also, i would you to know, if you don't mind
-how old are you, i remember you once said you're 40 years old.
-How it feels to be 185 cm , do you notice a big difference when you compare yourself to others?

Descreteuser

« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2015, 01:00:24 AM »

* Wednesday 22nd July - I got really bored sitting in my hotel room so i thought id go for a walk outside without taking my crutches. At first i thought i was just going to go for a short stroll. But i thought, you know what, i might make a bit of a night out of it. So i decided to walk to where me and the previous patient went when i first arrived here just over 5 months ago, about 1km from the hotel. I finally made it to the bar, walked in there, ordered myself a drink, and just enjoyed being back into what i consider normal life for me. Sitting down, having a drink, embracing the atmosphere of being in a bar again. I stayed there for an hour or so in which time i only had 3 drinks, and geez was i pissed. All that time off the alcohol made me an absolute lightweight. I decided id go for another walk down the strip where a number of other bars were. Wasnt really much happening so i pulled the pin and walked all the way back to the hotel. Im not sure if it was the booze, but the walk back was much easier. So basically id walked about 2km unaided, although tiring my walking looked pretty normal and i thought it was quite an achievement after only being having my left leg operated on 4 months earlier.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:24:55 AM by Descreteuser »

wingspan 180

Descreteuser

« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2015, 01:22:12 AM »

are you sure to avoid long life pain?
That's my biggest worry, even though i only consider 3.5 cm which is 10 times safer than 7.5 cm, i couldn't handle my life.

Also, i would you to know, if you don't mind
-how old are you, i remember you once said you're 40 years old.
-How it feels to be 185 cm , do you notice a big difference when you compare yourself to others?

my pain now is pretty much non existent,my legs are just stiff when i first stand up to walk. walking is still pretty exhausting but its returning to normal.
im not 40. im in my 20s but dont wish to give my exact age. Yeah now that my walking is more upright, at 185 i find it rare to see guys taller than me to be honest. There is an enormous amount of guys that are just a bit shorter than me that would have had over an inch on me before.. i still do see a few guys on a daily basis that make me look short but im in a country known for having tall men. so until i leave i wont feel what the new height is really like. i can only imagine if i feel tallish here how im gonna feel back in my own country.. i also look alot taller now just from having longer legs.. jeans look better on me.. its great

wingspan 180

Want More

« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »

How do you feel now at 185 cm? Do you still comparing your height with other guys?Or you think less about height?
Does your family and friends  know for surgery?
I need only 5cm.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up