Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lengthening With Dr Guichet UK London  (Read 12007 times)

StewardSouten

• Visitor
Lengthening With Dr Guichet UK London
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »

Hi all

I'm Steward I live in the UK.

I wanted to start this post because i wanted my experience of limb lengthening to documented and hopefully may benefit others.

My stats are as follows:-

Male
33 Years Old
163cm
Goal 10cm gain to achieve a height of 173cm.

I will be having my surgery with Dr Guichet with the Guichet nail on my femurs.

I hope to have the surgery in November 2015.

Feel free to email me on Steward.Souten@gmail.com

15th September 2015

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
Re: Lengthening With Dr Guichet UK London
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:36:29 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  We're glad you're here and we look forward to hearing about your experience.

Alu

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »

Yes welcome indeed. How are you gonna achieve this goal of yours? Will you be doing it in both femur and tibia, and if so how much in each?

microman

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:52:19 PM »

I'm assuming it's in one segment.

does he charge about £55,000 for the operation in the UK? he never mentions his UK price on the FAQ.

StewardSouten

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

Sorry for not posting things have been rough.

Just to let you know that I will be having the surgery with Dr G tomorrow.

I need to be at the hospital between 10-11am.

I will stay in the hospital until Sunday when I go to my hotel.

I am really worried, scared anxious.

Ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »

Good luck dude! Think of tomorrow as the beginning of a better life!

StewardSouten

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 06:01:58 AM »

Today is the day I have surgery.

Just had a shower is some chemical Dr G prescribed me.

Really Worried about the PAIN.

treemonger

• Newbi
  • Visitor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:51:05 AM »

Hey Stew,

I'm 4 days post-op with bilateral femurs using the Fitbone system. On Day 3 they took away my epidural & catheter and right now I'm lying here with no drip and no pain.

You have a different nail and insertion point but I assure you the pain is overrated.

I think that all of us who are doing this surgery have had a female encounter that left us emotionally devastated at some point. The pain of lying in your bed and crying over the fact that nature handicapped us with short stature is significantly more painful than a pair of broken legs.

Since we're doing it at almost the same time, I'll be following your progress and will see to it that we both achieve our goals.

Cheers

Madmax_01

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 04:15:05 PM »

Hey Stewart!

Just wondered how surgery worked out for you?

All the best

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:49 AM »

No news?
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

StewardSouten

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »

Hello all

I want to start by apologising for not updating this post also I want to apologize for not responding to those people who have emailed me. 

As you may know I had LL surgery with Dr Guichet in London on the 04/12/2015.
The method was internal using Dr Guichet's nails on the femurs.
I achieved a total of 8cm.
My starting height was 163cm and I am now 171cm.
I was able to achieve the full 8cm in approx 3.5months.
I stopped lengthening in early March of 2016.

My recovery has been very fast, one week after I stopped lengthening I was able to walk relatively normally but with the aid of the crutches.

I formally came off the crutches at the end of March 2016 and forced myself to walk unaided.

Currently I am walking very very well i.e. my hips are not swaying and i am not limping.

I can run however the pins around my hip hurt when I run and my muscles are still very tight.

I attend the gym almost every day, my activities include:-
•   30 mins on the cross trainer at level 18 (max level is 25)
•   10 mins on the rowing machine
•   20 mins on the bike level 12 (max level is 25)
•   Stretching programme which I continued on from when I had physio during my lengthening.
•   Weights include:-
•      Leg extension 46kg (started off at 10kg which was the lowest       and gradually built up to 46kg.)
•      Leg Press 53kg
•   I also use the treadmill and set the incline at the max of 15 and just walk at level 5-9 speed where the max level is 20 (I think)

It has been a very long painful and expensive journey to get to where I am. I wish i had the courage and money to have the surgery sooner. As I look back on my life and realise how much time I have wasted and how unhappy I was.

This surgery has removed a demon that has been with me for so long that my entire life's focus was just about becoming taller and now that I have achieved that goal I am struggling to final another goal. Its a strange feeling one that many LLers will understand.

The surgery was painful but was managed through various different ways, oral, inject able, patche pain killers and even exercise was enough in many cases to relieve the pain.

I should also at this point mention that I had LL with external fixation in Egypt about 10years where I achieved 4cm on my tibias. I can tell you now that having experienced both external and internal methods of lengthening I would never recommend external. My reasons being:-

•   With the Guichet Nail I was fully weight bearing < 24 hours post surgery. In
   fact I managed to walk up and down 2 fights of stairs < 24 hours after the    surgery.

•   With external fixation I constantly had to manage the pins sites which required constant cleaning as the sites were fully exposed.

•   With external method I was in a wheel chair for the first couple of weeks which did not help my muscles.

•   With the external fixation I achieved 4cm in 6 months but with the nails I achieved 8cm in < 4 months and I am back to work, walking very well in < 6 months.

Many people have asked me would I recommend the surgery, unfortunately I cannot answer this question as this is something only you can answer. My reasons and motivations for having the surgery was personal to me and no doubt your reasons for wanting the surgery will be personal to you, whether those reasons are strong enough to convince yourself to have the surgery is something only you can decide.

My thoughts on Dr Guichet is that he is a very skilled, focused and a brilliant surgeon. He can be very blunt and stubborn but I now know that this was largely for my own benefit - you guys can make your own mind about him.

My only regret is that despite Dr Guichet promoting pre-op training to increase muscle mass, and increase flexibility I know I could have done more. Make no mistake your recovery will be shortened traumatically if you put the time and effort into your training before during and after the surgery. The single most useful advice Dr Guichet gave me was to eat well and never miss your physio sessions.

I want say that this is not light surgery nor is it cheap. The cost of the surgery will be specific to each patient. Do not think under any circumstances that you can get this surgery on the cheap. Having the surgery in London further added to the cost.  So my advice to anyone considering this surgery is to be physically fit, always attend your physio and be financially prepared.

Finally I want to say a thank you to the physiotherapists who helped me throughout this journey. They started out as physiotherapists but they are now my friends.

What I have said on this post is just my own opinions based on my actual experiences, I cannot comment on anyone else. I am just grateful that my experience has been very positive but more importantly I achieved my goals with no complications and in a very short space of time.

Good luck to all those considering the surgery.

Alu

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »

Congrats!

So what now for you?  How long until you think you can recover optimally and remove your nails?

Also how long do you plan to update your dairy in this forum? 

Cheers!

goldenegg

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 01:29:50 AM »

Congrats on achieving your goals man! Glad to hear you've been having a fast recovery.  your consolidation must have been really good.  I also did LL with dr. G last year, but couldn't imagine doing all the gym activities you listed 5 months post op, since my consolidation was so slow.  But I can do most of them now about 1 year after my surgery. 

The surgery was painful but was managed through various different ways, oral, inject able, patche pain killers and even exercise was enough in many cases to relieve the pain.

Very true about exercise helping with the pain, which doesn't get mentioned here often. in milan we had a saying, "bike is the best pain killer" 

LookingAround

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »

What was your fitness, in particular strength, at before the procedure?  Are you able to squat and jump at all?
Current Height: 177 CM
Desired Height: 181-182 CM

paddy10tellys

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 08:22:38 PM »

Well done StewardSouten! Respect.

I met Guichet recently & I think he is an absolute star!

I want my Tibia's lengthening & thought I could persuade him to do it. No chance! I spent £££(hundreds) to be told I was crazy. I didn't listen. If my Femurs were the problem then I would definitely book him. He really is impressive though. I believed him when he said he could fix me, quickly, without much grief, if I could cope with his regime & agree to extend my Femurs.

Glad you are thriving.
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only
Pages: [1]   Go Up