Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iliotibial Band Release  (Read 3591 times)

StewardSouten

• Visitor
Iliotibial Band Release
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »

Hi All

I wanted to start a discussion on the idea of IT Band Release during Limb Lengthening.

After speaking to 2 x different UK doctors about what IT band release is and its benefits in relation to limb lengthening I have discovered that there a few different methods of IT Band Release.

"Minor" IT Band Release is an incision across the IT Band usually above the knee that allows the IT Band to lengthen by 1.5 - 2cm. This type of minor release is done in day surgery where you are in and out on the same day and the surgery takes approx 1hour (usually 20mins per leg).

More significant IT Band Release can allow the IT Band to lengthen by up to 6cm using what is called a Z incision (both ends of the IT Band can be strengthened with a tendon but this depends on the surgeon)

From what the doctors have told me that minor IT Band release causes very little long term effects, one of the doctors whom i spoke to carried out IT release on a runner how went on to continue running a few weeks post op.

Significant IT Band Release causes much more long term problems which is largely that there will be a very weak point in the IT that will never heal to its full strength.

My question is why do some doctors prefer to carry out IT Release and others do not.

Also are there any patients who have had IT Band release and can you describe your experience.

Finally are there any patients who wished they did do IT Band release in order to achieve an additional 1 cm or so during lengthening.

Many Thanks

S Souten.

DoingItForMe

Re: Iliotibial Band Release
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »

I did a IT band release. I'd recommend it if your IT bands are already tight. My IT bands were the only things tight on my legs and from what I heard from the PTs, the IT band is the only thing that is nearly impossible to stretch. I had no problems stretching my muscles, but I can feel my IT bands now after 8 cm of lengthening, that they are tight again. From my research into other people's diaries, it appears that the ones who did not get an IT band release were less likely to get to the full 8 cm or had more problems once they got to 8 cm. I had no problems getting to 8 cm. My legs probably allowed me to get to 9 or even 10 cm if the rods inside me allowed it. I never had an issue with my IT bands throughout my PT sessions. They were so loose that none of the PTs even bothered working on them. So I'd recommend it.

Dr. Paley said that there's no long term effects. He said that after looking at the IT bands after release and healing, he could not tell the difference between a released one and an non-released one. I have no reason to not believe him, because I don't feel any different in my IT bands right now. Now I wish there was a release for hip flexors and ham strings, because those are the things that limit me the most right now. But if money isn't an issue, I'd recommend getting it as it becomes one less thing to worry about getting too tight on you. Prices from Paley: If you get it while doing LL, it's $5,000 extra. I heard that it was $20,000 if you get it after LL. So I really see no cons to it except for the money loss and the extra scars on the side of your legs.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

Alu

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »

This brings my question; is it worth it if you're only doing 4-5 cm? With my current QL goal in mind would it be even worth it?

DoingItForMe

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:57 AM »

This brings my question; is it worth it if you're only doing 4-5 cm? With my current QL goal in mind would it be even worth it?
Most likely not. Especially if you're already flexible with the IT bands. To test this, lay on your side and form a V with your two legs - with the top leg behind the lower leg. Now drop the top leg towards the ground. Does it just hang there, or does it drop past the lower leg? If it's the second one, then your IT bands are flexible and you probably don't need IT band release even if you're going to 8 cm.

At 4-5 cm, almost nothing of mine were tight. I was still extremely flexible. It was past 5-6 cm when I started losing flexibility at a rapid pace.
Link to my experience

StewardSouten

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:17:09 PM »

Thanks for the insight.

It seems as though everyone who I have spoke to about IT Band release who have done it are very happy that they did and those who did not regret not doing it.

Can I ask are you currently going through LL with Paley at this moment in time?

Did you have your IT Band released during the LL operation or did you do it after?

Thanks

DoingItForMe

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:48:19 AM »

Thanks for the insight.

It seems as though everyone who I have spoke to about IT Band release who have done it are very happy that they did and those who did not regret not doing it.

Can I ask are you currently going through LL with Paley at this moment in time?

Did you have your IT Band released during the LL operation or did you do it after?

Thanks

I have a journal on here that details in great detail everything that happened during my LL with Paley. I'm currently in month two of my consolidation phase. I predict one more month before I can walk without crutches. I had my IT band released during LL, because my IT bands were tight even before the surgery. I'm glad that I got it, because my legs are probably more flexible because of it. I've already lost flexibility in other areas. It would suck to lose it in more areas.
Link to my experience

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2022, 01:44:11 AM »

What is the verdict regarding this?
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 10:10:01 AM »

It is interesting how almost nobody complains of ITB release
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

lessthanavg8300

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 05:28:02 PM »

Almost all reputable surgeons do it standard now.  Im at not even 3CM and had a soft release my bands are still tight as hell.
Gained 3.2CM on femurs for a final height of 5'8.5-5'8.75.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2023, 06:34:03 PM »

It is interesting how almost nobody complains of ITB release

Yeah hm.. the short term pain of the IT band release. I mean I hardly ever stretched my IT bands during the whole journey. I got the IT band release and as a result my IT bands almost always had great range of motion

And now my IT band has full range of motion after finishing lengthening more than 6 cm, still with hardly any total stretching of the IT band except during PT. And I am not flexible

Maybe it was overkill, maybe that's why Becker does a less aggressive version, idk not sure. Maybe Becker's right to do a "soft" release to help people go back to work sooner. I went with a different doctor

Wonder if other people had similar experiences

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 06:00:36 AM »

Yeah hm.. the short term pain of the IT band release. I mean I hardly ever stretched my IT bands during the whole journey. I got the IT band release and as a result my IT bands almost always had great range of motion

And now my IT band has full range of motion after finishing lengthening more than 6 cm, still with hardly any total stretching of the IT band except during PT. And I am not flexible

Maybe it was overkill, maybe that's why Becker does a less aggressive version, idk not sure. Maybe Becker's right to do a "soft" release to help people go back to work sooner. I went with a different doctor

Wonder if other people had similar experiences

Did you have a non weight bearing nail

oklama

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 06:16:03 AM »

Most likely not. Especially if you're already flexible with the IT bands. To test this, lay on your side and form a V with your two legs - with the top leg behind the lower leg. Now drop the top leg towards the ground. Does it just hang there, or does it drop past the lower leg? If it's the second one, then your IT bands are flexible and you probably don't need IT band release even if you're going to 8 cm.

At 4-5 cm, almost nothing of mine were tight. I was still extremely flexible. It was past 5-6 cm when I started losing flexibility at a rapid pace.

can you ms paint draw this test or something it doesn't make much sense to me
19 yrs old
goal: 173 (8cm)
looking at giotikas or becker
maybe will get to 180cm eventually

SpeedDialer

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2023, 01:30:31 PM »

Did you have a non weight bearing nail

I have gnail (weight bearing)
Pages: [1]   Go Up