Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bilateral femurs with PRECICE 2. Dr Franz BIRKHOLTZ. South Africa. Feb 2016  (Read 32094 times)

toafrica

Hey,

which side effect were you talking about? Stay tough though!

Hi axelf, the side effect that worried me the most was speech impairment. It started after increasing Lyrica to 300mg per day. It disappeared right after going back to 150.

I have officially finished muy lengthening today with 7,5cm of total gain. I saw Franz on Thursday and took the xrays. At that time I was supposed to be slightly over 7,1, as the xray confirmed. So I continued 4 more days to get 7,5.

I've been lengthening a total of 70 days with no complications regarding the nails or lengthening itself, just weird side effects of some meds. Idk if it would be tagged as complication, but the last xray showed a slight bending of the nails. Franz said that it won't have almost effect on the total gain, but I'll try to speak with him about it next week. I'm quite worried of walking or weight bearing, even with the walker, I don't want to increase this bending.

In a few days I'll leave the country and go back home. I have to say that I'll miss some friends and girls I've meet in here, but life continues. Now I start the longest part of recovery. I'll try to keep you posted, although I don't expect major changes in a while.

Regarding pain, I have no pain of I'm lying on bed, just in the inside of my right knee since a couple of weeks ago. I have numbness that comes and goes in both tibias randomly during the night. I'm taking no meds or painkillers except for the calcium, it's been 2 days already.

My athletic ability is obviously non-existent at this point. I can walk with the walker, although it's difficult due to tightness. I'm mostly in my wheelchair. My flexibility is horrible, it's really difficult to straighten my knees. I can bend around 120-130°

alps

Congrats man!

How hard was it from 6cm to 7.5cm? Did you get significantly worse?

toafrica

Hi SAD. It's been by far the worst part, pain had been considerably worse and my flexibility has dropped insanely in just a couple of weeks. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to go further than 6cm (even though I still have a long way to go). I know that just because of that extra 1,5 my recovery will take much longer. If you're not super short as I was, I'd stick to 6 or even 5. Although I'd never go for something like this of you're already in a normal height, but that's not my decision anyways.

ouroboros

Idk if it would be tagged as complication, but the last xray showed a slight bending of the nails.

Good to hear you reached your goal! congratulations!

Just wondering what this slight bending on the nail looks like.... would you mind posting the x-rays so we can have a look?
Also, we discussed this earlier, but were you able to get a bike for your apartment?  What is your current physio routine?  How many times a week?

Lastly, before you leave south africa, do you mind posting more pictures, maybe physio facilities, more pictures of you standing, etc.  Just a suggestion before you get too busy with returning to normal life.

Thank you so much for your contribution to the forum, and hope that your recovery/consolidation period goes smooth and quick.

sunflower

• Visitor

Hey toafrica, I am also considering Dr Birkholtz and work in orthopaedics. What diameter of nail do you have? Also do you have x-rays available you could post and are you able to mobilise with crutches or only walker? Cheers, sunflower

toafrica

Hi ouroboros. I thought in taking pictures, but I always forget. When I'm there I'm all about pushing myself and I never think in this forum besides the specific times I go in ( specially because that BS that if you're not 1,80+ you're short and fcked no matter what).

I'll ask Franz or the physio if they have pics of the facilities, I'm pretty sure they must be somewhere online already.

As for physio, I wasn't able to get a bike, there were too expensive. And after 5cm I didn't even bother, pain was so extreme that the last thing I had energy for was doing the bike at home. I do physio every day except the public holidays. It's just bike+ stretchings with the physio for about 1h-1h30. She stretches every muscle in your legs as much as you can take. I've cried a couple of times there, but I think that if you don't stretch until you feel your muscle breaking... You're not going enough. Obviously without actually breaking it, although my right quadriceps felt like it was towards the end. Now it's totally fine.

I may post more pictures of myself standing and such further on. But I don't really want to post much more personal info that I've done. I'll consider uploading my next xrays maybe, hopefully the bending will not increase.

Hi sunflower. As I just said, I'll see if I can upload the next xrays that I'll take. You won't see nothing worrying though, just the nail not 100% straight.

I can walk with the walker. Franz told me about trying crutches this week before leaving, but I'm quite worried about bending my nails due to not enough bone healing at this point. I'll discuss it with him soon. Regarding the dr, I think he did a fantastical job, as far as surgery itself, and he's always been really close and answered every time I asked something. I can't say anything bad about him, ask the opposite, I'll be forever grateful for his help in this.

I again just want to warn everyone that this journey it's not easy at all. You will likely face huge amounts of pain, months of your life that you'll never get back and always long term sequels. Just make sure you need this, it's not a small thing. If you're 100% sure about it, then I totally trust Franz so far to say I'd recommend him.

Nightwish

How's everything going mate? What's your current situation?

Appreciate the keep it under six advice.

What's your recovery schedule if there is one? What height are you know, how do you feel compared to when you started?

I think this diary is just about sealing my idea that when (if) I eventually do this I'll look for 5-6cm with Dr Franz.
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler

sunflower

• Visitor

Hey toafrica, how are things going, do you mind me asking what nail diameter do you have? I was offered the 10.7mm and apparently would be able to use crutches despite me weighing 70kg.

I dont suppose you would consider posting your latest xray, I am a Uk Doctor and would be interested to see how healing is progressing at this stage.

Thanks agin.

Sunflower

toafrica

Hey guys, everything going well. Not full eight bearing yet, but improving. If you wanna know something send me a PM due to privacy issues

LLuser1

• Banned

Congratulations man. Birkholtz did a good job with you. I didn't expect less from him.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

toafrica

Thank you, I would definitely recommend Franz for this surgery with eyes closed, it's been a fairly easy process, besides side effects from meds that nothing had to do with the surgery itself. I wouldn't recommend this surgery unless you're really short though.

In other news, just 4 months post-op still on crutches. Although I can walk without them with a totally normal walking besides some duck ass, no limp. But officially I shouldn't know that I can... So I'll keep the crutches until Franz gives me the ok to leave them.

Currently walking around 10km per day.

Cheers

LLuser1

• Banned

If you can't afford Paley but want Precise, go to Birkholtz. He is a good doctor and he has ethics unlike most LL doctors on this board. My advice.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

goodlucktomylegs

Thank you, I would definitely recommend Franz for this surgery with eyes closed, it's been a fairly easy process, besides side effects from meds that nothing had to do with the surgery itself. I wouldn't recommend this surgery unless you're really short though.

In other news, just 4 months post-op still on crutches. Although I can walk without them with a totally normal walking besides some duck ass, no limp. But officially I shouldn't know that I can... So I'll keep the crutches until Franz gives me the ok to leave them.

Currently walking around 10km per day.

Cheers
Glad to hear that
10kM ???
did you feel tired after take a walk or any kind of pain,numb?

ram2206

• Visitor

Hi,
I am an asian indian who is also looking to get LL surgery from Dr. Franz.

I have a question. Can you help me how did you got initial x-ray.
Below is something Dr. Franz asked me.
Can you tell me which clinic/facility you got digital x-ray in USA ? How did you approach them without USA doctor referral.  Please suggest.

“Long-leg AP Xray hip to ankle on one image with patellae forward. It also needs a size marker. Then we also need laterals of both femurs and tibias.”

LLuser1

• Banned

How are you doing man?

LLuser1

• Banned

ToAfrica is not from USA

Hi,
I am an asian indian who is also looking to get LL surgery from Dr. Franz.

I have a question. Can you help me how did you got initial x-ray.
Below is something Dr. Franz asked me.
Can you tell me which clinic/facility you got digital x-ray in USA ? How did you approach them without USA doctor referral.  Please suggest.

“Long-leg AP Xray hip to ankle on one image with patellae forward. It also needs a size marker. Then we also need laterals of both femurs and tibias.”

toafrica

Probably my last post in here, my chapter in this whole story is getting over.

I'm officially crutches-free since some days ago. In allowed to do anything I want (besides doing gym with extra weight or stuff like that, obviously).

I can walk any time I want (haven't checked more than 3h straight though), but I get super tired. Like after a whole evening at the mall I'd be physically destroyed.

I'm missing a lot of muscle and normal activities like going down stairs have proven to be really difficult. Over time my muscles should get strong, not a big deal.

I'm having a really hard time with my hip flexibility and duck ass, my itb are super tight and quite painful after extensive walking. I have the same ROM in any other joint than before surgery.

And the last gift, xray 2 months after stopping distraction and 4 months and 3 weeks after surgery.

Cheers

ortholengthening

Beautiful.
5 months post surgery of 7.5 cm lengthening and you seem to be doing very well

Thanks for your journal

Enjoy your new height!

Nightwish

Congratulations buddy.

Final question, you're now almost five months on, does Dr Birkholtz still get your recommendation?
Height: 166cm
Wingspan: 168cm
Goal: 172cm
Facial Hair Growth: Pre puberty
Dance Move: The sprinkler
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up