Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get 6 months off work/career to do LL?  (Read 5811 times)

maximize

How did you get 6 months off work/career to do LL?
« on: April 02, 2016, 10:05:44 PM »

I'm curious what work/employment circumstances you guys have had that have allowed you to disappear from your jobs for 6 months then restart your lives after again.

Did you quit your jobs? Were you self-employed desk jockeys who could just keep working from your laptop? Did you get an extended medical leave of absence?

Razorfin

Re: How did you get 6 months off work/career to do LL?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »

I assume some people can run companies from their hospital beds. Some people will have ditched everything though, which (in my opinion) .. isnt that bad.

TheLichKing

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:49:17 PM »

Seriously need to consider this topic more, as I'm kinda confused how it works.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

sashawiak

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »

A job where you sit all day behind a desk, like an office job. Or you'd probably have to move back in with your parents while you recover, although I don't know how much they'd like that...

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »

In the particular field of work that im pursuing workers are high in-demand so I'm not too worried about that but I was once wondering that too because its hard to get a office job in my state.

Metal Gear

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »

Good question. I like if you had skills like being good at art or programming, then you could possible freelance at home while you recover (Fiverr comes to mind). If that doesn't work then you can always get a job as IT support.

Another possibility that I can think of is taking online surveys to make a little bit of cash while you recover. (Though I've never tried this before..)

It would probably be best to save up money for while your recovering to be more secure and (if possible) move back in with your parents in my opinion.

cole slaws

• 5'4 to 5'9; ex girl.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »

Im doing the first surgery before I graduate or even start university so I will have plenty of time to kick back (haha) and relax during the 4 month break between college and university.
Apollo Justice is my spirit animal.

taieruya

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »

I'm taking a gap year before I enroll in medical school, so that's when I'm trying to do it so that I have enough time to recover properly.
Hoping to do LL in 2019 or 2020.

Big Decision

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 10:29:51 PM »

Very  great topic, no body talk about about this!!

People here make me fee like they are all millionaires or just don't work....

That's one of my biggest challenge right now, how i can possibly go away from office for months, since i can't tell anybody about my plan and i don't want to loose my job!!!

Zeo

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »

a lot of people here just deal with the fact that most places won't let you leave for 6mo-1yr and come back. If you are competent in your career, you can always get another job. No one here is a millionaire a lot of people just worked very hard and very long hours and expected to have to get another job after LL. It's the reality

LL is not for people that don't have both money and time, it's sucks but it's the nature of the beast.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Purushrottam

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »

Yeah I quit my job. You will have to make sure you have 3-6 months of expenses saved up for when you are unemployed.

And Fyi, I'm not a millionaire. I was making about 120-150k per year when I quit my job. I had about $70,000 saved up. I took a $80,000 loan (people are willing to lend you that amount if you make 120k+/year). So nowhere close to being a millionaire.
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

google42

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 05:04:11 AM »

Yeah I quit my job. You will have to make sure you have 3-6 months of expenses saved up for when you are unemployed.

And Fyi, I'm not a millionaire. I was making about 120-150k per year when I quit my job. I had about $70,000 saved up. I took a $80,000 loan (people are willing to lend you that amount if you make 120k+/year). So nowhere close to being a millionaire.
You're still really well off. A lot of people don't have a 100k+ income.

Android

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 07:15:22 AM »

I'll be quitting my job in the near future to dedicate a year to CLL. Been considering changing jobs anyway, no girlfriend right now, so there's nothing keeping me here anyway. Onward and upward, no pun intended!
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

tallertree

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 09:38:27 AM »

Im from a Scandinavian country and here the government will pay 80% of your salary of you are not able to work because of medical treatment. The government only wants to know if you are able to work, not why you are in the situation you are. 

Knik

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »

Im from a Scandinavian country and here the government will pay 80% of your salary of you are not able to work because of medical treatment. The government only wants to know if you are able to work, not why you are in the situation you are.

Lucky. I will ask for danish or norwegian nationality then
Looking for Pili

OverrideYourGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
Medical leave + work remote
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »

My company offers generous leaves of absence, and in the US there's a law called FMLA that protects your job while you're on medical leave. Now cosmetic procedures generally don't qualify, but see if there's other things you can work on during recovery, for example back pack that can be helped by PT. Note, this is an unpaid leave.

I'm fortunate to be able to write computer code, which if you have an inclination for, you can pick up and become pretty good at in about a year. So if the FMLA thing falls through, I can work remotely.

But the larger question is, how do you pay for CLL? Having a job is only *one* option. Getting loans is another. In the US for example, SoFi offers 7-year loans up to $100k with 10% APR interest. Realize that $100 is way more important to you now, than $20k / year over the next 7 years. You can make that happen much more easily than producing $100k right now. For example if you invest $10k in a basket of promising cryptocurrencies and the 2017 pattern repeats itself, you're set.

Back to jobs - nowadays, there's a lot of work that can be done remotely. https://remoteok.io is a really good site to find remote jobs. They tend to be centered around IT, though there are some other areas as well:

Anyway, there are 25+ other sites for finding remote work - check them out.

The even larger question, is how do you reduce the cost of living & CLL? One answer is to live in an area with a lower cost of living, during CLL if your doctor is there, or during the recovery. NomadList.com has a lot details on many cities in the world - cost of living, healthcare, walkability, quality of life, safety etc. Moving might be a big "move" so to speak, but CLL is an even bigger one, and when people make a major change, they tend to be more open to make other changes following it. If you quit your job to do CLL, moving to a place with low cost of living and taking remote gigs can be a reasonable things to do.

My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

MoonWalk

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »

I'm cryptomillionnaire, I can continue to trade with litteraly only one eye and 1 finger to click from the bedroom so no problem  :D
NightHeight : 171 (5.7.5)
Goal : 5cm External Tibia with Dr.Pili

OverrideYourGenetics

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 03:35:07 AM »

I'm cryptomillionnaire, I can continue to trade with litteraly only one eye and 1 finger to click from the bedroom so no problem  :D

I'd be a bit more impressed if you traded with both your eyes closed, in your sleep. Have you written any trading bots?
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

short2tall

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 08:41:23 AM »

I believe this is an important topic as well, and not discussed very often. Here is how I did it. For starters I am 30, so I've had a few years to save. I saved up about enough for the surgery itself, then I took an equity loan out on my house, to cover all of the additional expenses. I quit my job because I wasn't really happy with it and needed a change anyway. I believe I have enough experience in my field to find another job relatively quickly after I'm done consolidating. If it takes awhile, I can always drive for Uber or Lyft in the meantime. Everyone's situation is different, but there is a way as long as you want it bad enough. Younger patients will probably have a harder time coming up with the money if they don;t have their parent's support. I wish I could have done it 10 years ago, but to pay for the surgery here is the US, late 20's/early 30's is a good age to have the surgery.
Bilateral femurs with Dr. M on March 1st
Starting height: 5'8.5"
Shooting for 5'11"

MoonWalk

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »

I'd be a bit more impressed if you traded with both your eyes closed, in your sleep. Have you written any trading bots?

I used too, but it's not that worth it, even if it's fun making money doing nothing.

I use bot signals tho :)
NightHeight : 171 (5.7.5)
Goal : 5cm External Tibia with Dr.Pili

myloginacct

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 05:31:50 AM »

I believe this is an important topic as well, and not discussed very often. Here is how I did it. For starters I am 30, so I've had a few years to save. I saved up about enough for the surgery itself, then I took an equity loan out on my house, to cover all of the additional expenses. I quit my job because I wasn't really happy with it and needed a change anyway. I believe I have enough experience in my field to find another job relatively quickly after I'm done consolidating. If it takes awhile, I can always drive for Uber or Lyft in the meantime. Everyone's situation is different, but there is a way as long as you want it bad enough. Younger patients will probably have a harder time coming up with the money if they don;t have their parent's support. I wish I could have done it 10 years ago, but to pay for the surgery here is the US, late 20's/early 30's is a good age to have the surgery.

Late 30s~40 years old is probably the prime age for a man, so there's no worry if it's going to take some people longer to get the money.

OverrideYourGenetics

At 40 it's a bit late to do CLL
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »

Late 30s~40 years old is probably the prime age for a man, so there's no worry if it's going to take some people longer to get the money.

It's also the age at which looks start to matter less and less. There's still unconscious bias (and of the sort that's not taught in "Unconscious bias" corporate training), but if you're short in your 40s, it matters much less than if you're in your 20s and short. First because by the age of 40 you've already established a course in life despite your short stature, and second because people you care about tend to be older and wiser.

Being in my late 30s was big "con" to my decision to do CLL.

myloginacct

Re: At 40 it's a bit late to do CLL
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »

It's also the age at which looks start to matter less and less. There's still unconscious bias (and of the sort that's not taught in "Unconscious bias" corporate training), but if you're short in your 40s, it matters much less than if you're in your 20s and short. First because by the age of 40 you've already established a course in life despite your short stature, and second because people you care about tend to be older and wiser.

Being in my late 30s was big "con" to my decision to do CLL.

I've thought about this issue a lot in the past, but I actually started thinking doing it in your 30s is probably for the best. There's too many kids risking so much of their lives, education and finances trying to get CLL as early as possible.

And you're right about your points. I wonder if you'll view this post differently in a couple years, though? I'm thinking of all the little qualia that we couldn't even experience or notice before, when we were short. Maybe you should write two books... Life during, and life after CLL.

Body Builder

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 01:55:08 AM »

Age is not only how old you are. It is also how old you look (the most important imo) and how old you feel.
There are men 25yo who dress and look (due to bad genes, behaviours etc) like 40yo and men 35-40yo who look very young and handsome.
And also not every 40yo man dreams his life with having a woman, 2 children and an office job. Some would want a much more adventurous life and of course LL will help them to get that.

So everyone of us is different and has different aims.
I'll do my best to look young and I am sure that I'll look much better in my 40ies than the average 25yo old man. And, I truly believe that LL will help men even when they are 40-45yo. After 50 yes, the returns may not worth the risks. But not till then.

Random Hero

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

Intend to request 3 months leave unpaid then return to work with frames during consolidation.

Trying to explore the possibility of a medical loophole so I can get paid whilst I'm lengthening but doesn't seem to be anything in my job contract which enables it.
Current Height: 5"8 - Desired Height: 5"10.5

Mechanical Engineer living in Sheffield, England

ibuse

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 07:42:20 PM »

I went on intermittent FMLA, which covered me for about 3 months or so. My company then moved me to part time remote for the rest of my lengthening. I will say the others are right where the older you are, the harder it is to do. I've seen some people bail on the surgery due to the mountain of responsibilities at home (mortgage, kids, spouse, bills). I had to carefully plan ahead of time to liquidate the majority of my assets and to get rid of my bills, but even then, I was still paying on some bills while abroad. The worst is when you initially lengthen or get past the 6/7 cm mark, the pain gets pretty out of control to really focus on any job. The best people I've seen are those with no responsibilities such as students.

Big Decision

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 02:24:43 AM »

I don't feel comfortable with taking time off from work, I'm sure they're gonna ask me a letter or note from doctors, This is not something that i wanna reveal to my employer .

Still thinking about how i'm gonna deal with it ...

Myexperience

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2018, 01:32:41 PM »

Iam a mother housewife, i take pride in being there for my kids. I dont care if ppl would say u would accomplish more if u left an autistic kid and just go work. Thats doesnot mean i will not work at home to provide for my family and help my husband. Iam thinking while waiting to correctthis operation to study and help my husband in his work. I had a company before i left for my son and because of thyroid.

Android

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »

Iam a mother housewife, i take pride in being there for my kids. I dont care if ppl would say u would accomplish more if u left an autistic kid and just go work. Thats doesnot mean i will not work at home to provide for my family and help my husband. Iam thinking while waiting to correctthis operation to study and help my husband in his work. I had a company before i left for my son and because of thyroid.

Hold on. Aren't you supposed to be the husband talking about his wife?

Edit: never mind, apparently you two are sharing the same account.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Myexperience

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »

Yes we. are Android sharing the account. He is at work and i take care of my autistic son. Have a great day

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »

Age is not only how old you are. It is also how old you look (the most important imo) and how old you feel.
There are men 25yo who dress and look (due to bad genes, behaviours etc) like 40yo and men 35-40yo who look very young and handsome.
And also not every 40yo man dreams his life with having a woman, 2 children and an office job. Some would want a much more adventurous life and of course LL will help them to get that.

So everyone of us is different and has different aims.
I'll do my best to look young and I am sure that I'll look much better in my 40ies than the average 25yo old man. And, I truly believe that LL will help men even when they are 40-45yo. After 50 yes, the returns may not worth the risks. But not till then.

buddy, I have sent PM to you, plz check
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up