Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 23 Years old, How do I tell my parents about this?  (Read 7084 times)

tallerz

23 Years old, How do I tell my parents about this?
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »

Hey guys I am 23 will be 24 this June. I start law school in the fall and I am looking to have this procedure done next summer in between year 1 and 2 of law school. I will have a time period of about 3.5 months to lengthen 6.5-7.5 cm on my femurs internally and get back on crutches in time to resume classes.

How do I tell my parents about this procedure and that I want to do it?

My first thought was to hit them with the science behind distraction osteogenesis and then tell them that I was interested in LL after they saw the science was without flaw. Any ideas?

Peaceout

Re: 23 Years old, How do I tell my parents about this?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

I think telling your parents about this will be the easiest thing in this whole procedure.LL is tough.What is your height?If you are short it will be easier to convince them that you really need it.If you are average or higher they probably wont want you to do it.(they wont want it in anyway actually lol but like i said if you are short it will be easier)But its your decision afterall.They will support you eventually.
They will probably flip out at the start.You can try telling them that small amounts are safer(say 6 cm)  Good luck :)

tallerz

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I am 5ft 7in which believe to be 170cm. My goal would be 7-7.5 cm on femurs internally.

berkeclor123

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I am 5ft 7in which believe to be 170cm. My goal would be 7-7.5 cm on femurs internally.

Do that much on femurs and you start looking really weird.
current height: 175 cm
wingspan: 184 cm
goal height: 183 cm

tallerz

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:48:26 AM »

I thought most people do 8cm on femurs?

Moubgf

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:10:28 AM »

I thought most people do 8cm on femurs?

5'7 is where you have long legs, but your torso is that of a teenager. 5'9 usually have long torso comparable to those of 6'0, but shorter legs. So there are DYNAMICOO to this buisness

tallerz

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:14:58 AM »

5'7 is where you have long legs, but your torso is that of a teenager. 5'9 usually have long torso comparable to those of 6'0, but shorter legs. So there are DYNAMICOO to this buisness

I actually have more of a swimmer's body (long torso short legs).

TrueSpartan

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:31:16 AM »

Slim tim not true, I am 5"7 long body short legs specifically tibias

programdude

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 04:09:24 AM »

I was your age pre LL and didn't even tell them. Only my mom even knows now that its completed.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Moubgf

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 05:22:50 AM »

Slim tim not true, I am 5"7 long body short legs specifically tibias

You think you have long body, But you dont. If your lucky its medium height. NEVER as long as a natural 6'0 height. He has more mass onto him and 2 inches on you. You maybe have the same size as a 5'10 guy tops.

tallerz

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »

You think you have long body, But you dont. If your lucky its medium height. NEVER as long as a natural 6'0 height. He has more mass onto him and 2 inches on you. You maybe have the same size as a 5'10 guy tops.

I am glad you think you know my body haha. But your statements do nothing to answer my question.

tallerz

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:58:33 AM »

Tonight is the night!

I am not sure why but I feel more comfortable talking to my mom about the surgery before talking about it with my dad. Maybe it's because my mom is 5ft and my dad is 6ft 2in I'm not sure but I plan on telling my mom first.

Hopefully all goes well and she doesn't think I am insane. I'll make a post after I talk with her to let you guys know how it went.

Peaceout

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 07:34:26 AM »

Your dad is 6'2? For real?
At first of course they will think you are insane they may even think that you have mental issues because of your decision about this very dangerous surgery.But you know, with time im sure they will get used to it.

tallerz

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 02:50:08 AM »

Well my mom reacted exactly how I expected. She was completely against it at first but in the end she understood why I feel this way and now supports me. I have yet to tell my dad but I plan to do so before Tuesday next week. Hopefully the conversation with my dad will go just as well.

JConnor

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »

Is there no way for you to do it before school starts in the fall? Missing out on work during your 1L summer hurts your chances of getting a good 2L summer job, which largely determines your post-graduation employment prospects.

tallerz

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »

Is there no way for you to do it before school starts in the fall? Missing out on work during your 1L summer hurts your chances of getting a good 2L summer job, which largely determines your post-graduation employment prospects.

This is something I have thought about at great lengths. I know I will be near the top of my class (not trying to sound cky but I am going to school on a full ride and I am confident in my abilities) so I am sure people will hire me for a 2L internship and when I am questioned as to why I did not do one the first summer I will explain to them that I had a surgical procedure that prevented me from doing so.

While I do not doubt that this may still have an effect on my career, I do not believe it is enough to out weight the benefit in quality of life this procedure will yield.

tallerz

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 06:07:08 PM »

Well I won't get the opportunity to tell my Dad first because my Mom couldn't keep it to herself any longer and she told him. I haven't discussed it with him yet but we have both acknowledged that he now knows.

Luckily my mom said he was more receptive to the idea then she thought he would be. My parents live in Palm Beach Gardens and I am down here visiting till Tuesday. I plan to check out Paley's facilities with my mom before I head back home.

This journey is starting to feel more real now and I haven't been this happy in a long time.

TrueSpartan

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »

Hey tallerz have you talked to your dad about it yet? And how did you start the conversation with your mom? I am in the exact same  boat.

tallerz

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 09:08:47 PM »

Hey tallerz have you talked to your dad about it yet? And how did you start the conversation with your mom? I am in the exact same  boat.

Yeah I spoke to him after my mom told him about it, it went better then I had expected. With my Mom I started off by talking to her about my general happiness and then after I had gotten her to admit that happiness had no bounds nor a price tag I told her I wanted to do this procedure (which she knew about from TV).

Hope that helps, If you have any other specific questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

aspirant185

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »

I think it is now or never for you man :) First year after law school is the best time to do it. After the 2nd year u are expected to do an internship...well u could do now as well but I guess LL is worth more in the long run. btw, to lengthen 7 cm and walk on crutches in 3.5 months for me seems too optimistic. You will need around 3 months to lengthen 7 cm...and then some consolidation time , that is going to be hard. Prepare youself to potentially take a leave of absance for the next semester.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Knik

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »

This is definitely one of the hardest steps psychologically. But after you feel better.
I tried to talk to my parents. At first no possible reconciliation, but after I saw that my mother had inquired about the doctors on his side (she has spoken to me briefly)
I feel that mothers are more conciliatory, as it seeks above all the happiness of their child. And the problem is that it's always hard to be happy when you feel physically ill
Looking for Pili
Pages: [1]   Go Up