Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LL at Acibadem hospital in Istanbul, Turkey  (Read 10487 times)

Quilox

• Visitor
LL at Acibadem hospital in Istanbul, Turkey
« on: July 31, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »

Firstly I would like to give some background. I travelled to Turkey to have lower leg lengthening. My operation was on 20th June.

To anybody who is considering LL, please read through as much of my diary as you can. I will try to keep it as concise and relevant as possible. Please ask questions at your pleasure.

To anybody who has either finished or is going through this procedure, your tips, suggestions or moral support will be infinitely appreciated.

I am mostly in isolation now as I am in a hotel, and very few people here speak English. Coming to this forum has restored a great deal of sanity and whilst i am a reserved and private person, sharing my story is probably the best thing i can do for others.

I am currently at a stage where homesickness (i am from the uk) is strong, but i am nowhere near the finish line. I haven't told my family about the operation either because of the embarrassment due to the stigma surrounding this surgery.

I have some tips for those of you considering LL.

1. You MUST be very, very strong willed. Maybe, you will have a smooth journey (but that is rare) and even then you will experience pain. However, if you hit some obstacles along the way, you may discover what pain really is. You should be prepared for this
2. Do not box yourself into an ideal timeframe as i have done. Add some time for problems. If you plan to do 3inches (at 1mm per day) give yourself 4 months instead of 3, etc. Etc. You will be less disappointed if you have to temporarily stop lengthening.
3. I would suggest documenting exactly how you feel about your height. Perhaps keep some photos of how short you are compared to everyone else. Maybe write down how it makes you feel. Perhaps keep the messages of the girl who rejected you because your height was too short. Not only will this help to prove your psychological reasons for needing LL, it will help YOU. You will need these reminders because at some point during the LL process you WILL question if all of this is really worth the torture and hell you are putting yourself through.
4. Don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way. You can gather the money even if it runs you bankrupt like me. But just make sure you want it bad enough. And do your research on the surgeon, the hospital, your living conditions etc. Try not to pay in advance of knowing exactly what your getting.
5. In the mean time, spend time improving your flexibility, in your knees and ankles. It'll help so much but has to be done at least 6 months before you have the surgery. I wish i had known. Additionally, build as much leg muscle as you can. This again needs to be done well in advance of your operation.

Oh and lastly, kiss goodnight to your solid comfortable naps. You won't be getting any of those with these hideous and bulky frames. Maybe you will, but I certainly haven't. At so many points i've wanted to turn around and go home. But the following words by Lance Armstrong have encouraged me.

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."

And certainly in my case as I doubt i'll  have the time or the money for this procedure ever again. So the lengthening continues, despite the pain.

I'm going to post up what i've written so far. If anyone's interested in reading more let me know and I'll continue.

Quilox

• Visitor
Re: LL at Acibadem hospital in Istanbul, Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

So my diary begins:

Monday night. Day one, i have spoken with the doctor who will lead the surgery and he has explained the procedures. i am happy to proceed. It's very scary for me because he has made me aware of the complications with this surgery.

Tuesday morning i am given a tablet to protect the lining of my stomach (im ablut to be pumped with some serious medication). The second tablet given to me is to prepare me for anesthetiser. I soon close my eyes and wake up late that night. I have been placed in intensive care as a precautionary measure. It took 4 hours to break both bones and insert rods plus frames. This will be a lengthening over nail (LON) LL.

Tuesday night i am still not allowed to eat until the morning as the doctor warns the food will not stay down. 

Wednesday morning, i try to eat but my appetite is low. The doctors visit me and tell me i should stay in the hospital for a week. The pain is very high however the painkillers help me a lot. I have lost a lot of blood so a second blood transfusion is given to me. I cannot stress the amount of pain or the feeling of hopelessness that you will never walk again. The doctors ensure everything is normal and i am making good progress.

On Wednesday evening with the help of the physio i attempt to stand. VERY DIFFICULT and so painful. But this is progress as i have put my feet on the floor.

Thursday i am able to stand for 5 to 10 seconds with the aid of a walker. It is not a painless procedure, every movement so far has been painful and so i have lost muscle and strength because i have avoided movement. Physio gives me some exercises to do whilst in bed.

Friday
I am encouraged to stand again with the aid of a walker. I still cannot move my legs even though i am standing. After this, the physio places electronic pads on my thighs and i am given 20 minutes with the device. After the pads are removed and i am encouraged to do tensing exercises.

Saturday
First time i have needed to let my bowels loose. I am incredibly anxious as to how this will be achieved.i can only imagine the pain i will go through. Surprisingly the entire procedure is almost effortless. The nurses lower the bed to chair level and lift me from bed to chair. The chair is like a wheelchair but with a whole in it and a bag underneath. Once i am done i am lifted back onto my bed.

I also managed to take a little step during physio. It's so easy to take mobility for granted before the operation.

Sunday

During physio i manage 5 steps with both feet during first session and after a short break i manage another 3 with both feet. All of this with the walker. I am nowhere near using crutches but i hope soon i will be able to.

I also need to let my bowels loose again, i think it is becoming more and more frequent now because i have regained my appetite. Initially i was eating so little that apart from urinating i never needed the toilet for almost one week.

Monday to thursday:
I am able to use the walker to get to the toilet. However I am simultaneously assisted by the physio team. As each day passes this reduces. I also manage to make it just outside my room. This is an awsome experience as I have been within these four walls for over a week now. I am also worried because the doctor predicted i would only need to be here for a week. But i don't feel anywhere near ready to leave.

Friday 1st July

Leg lengthening begins
I am dreading this. But thankfully the actual process isn't painful. There are four screws on each leg which i must turn 90 degrees 4 times a day (every 6 hours). Each 90 degree turn delivers 0.25 mm of separation between my broken bones.

Saturday
Much like friday, i continue to lengthen and  physiotherapy is much the same. Involving the use of my walker and electric pads to strengthen my thigh muscles.

Sunday
My left wrist is beginning to feel the burden of taking my body weight whilst i use my walker. It's painfulness reduces my physiotherapy substantially and after a few steps i am returned to bed.

Monday
Dress change at the hospital in the morning. In the afternoon i am transported to a nursing home. Here we attempt some Physiotherapy but I struggle to stand yet alone walk. I'm not sure exactly what caused this set back, perhaps because almost 24 hours had passed before physical exercise. At this stage the only time my feet touch the floor is with the help of a nurse, i am physically too weak to lift or drop them to or from that height.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:12:31 PM »

Hey Quilox,

Were in a similar boat. I had my operation on June 23 and am doing external tibias with a type of ilizarov(turning .75mm/day).

How much do you plan to lengthen?

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »

Hey Quilox,

Were in a similar boat. I had my operation on June 23 and am doing external tibias with a type of ilizarov(turning .75mm/day).

How much do you plan to lengthen?

Hey Whereintheworld. I'm planning to lengthen 6cm. I wanted to do more but it's all I'm going to have time for. Providing I don't have further complications. I'm doing 1mm a day. I wish I had the time to do it at 0.75 i think it would be less pain. However the down side is you have to live with the frames longer in order to achieve the same results.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »

You're about half way done lengthening then, congratulations on that.

I am mostly in isolation now as I am in a hotel, and very few people here speak English. Coming to this forum has restored a great deal of sanity and whilst i am a reserved and private person, sharing my story is probably the best thing i can do for others.

If it counts for anything, you've got a kindred spirit in Italy right now.

Hang in there brother

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »

Ok i'm going to bring my diary up to date.

Tuesday 5th July
Physio is focusing on things i have previously worked on. Assisted leg raises, and short walk using walker. Another thing I remember helping me a lot was the ability to raise my hospital bed to almost 90 degrees. The bed in the nursing home isn't capable of this. As a result the use of the tilt table in the physio room is introduced. I am placed on the table and lifted upright. The weight of my body whilst strapped to the table helps to improve my posture.

Wednesday 6th july:
Language is a major barrier here, few speak english and so for those that don't you must improvise. Google translate is an absolute joke for any sentences with more than a few words. I don't appear to have the luxury of calling a translator as i did in the hospital and because it is Eid (or iftar/byram as its called here) i cannot seem to contact some of the staff who have coordinated this whole procedure. It is ok, where there is a will there is a way, you will learn to improvise in order to communicate but it can be incredibly frustrating - especially when you are misunderstood.

I am told my free Physiotherapy sessions have finished and from here on i must pay. The doctors advise me I don't need anymore Physiotherapy at the moment and so i take their advice. I'm glad i did as over the next few days my condition improved rapidly.

Thurs 7th July:
I am very frustrated. This is the time when i am expecting faster progress but i am not seeing it. It is at this point i begin to question my decision thoroughly. I had questioned it previously but now I was really questioning it. I have read this feeling of regret in other peoples diaries and believe me it's not a nice one. However all of the doctors are very reassuring and it helped me greatly. I had swelling in my right foot which worried me however they explained it was perfectly normal. All of the reassurances by the physio and doctors up to this point was very very crucial in keeping me calm and motivated. I would say you must be very motivated to fight through this ordeal. Nobody can ever prepare you for what you will go through.

Friday 8th July to Sunday 10th July.
I do my daily walking routine. Each day becoming stronger and more confident.

Monday 11th July:
My first x ray and weekly dressing change. It becomes clear from the x ray that my bones are not forming quickly enough to keep up with the extraction speed. I am advised to stop for a few days before continuing.

Tuesday and wednesday 12th and 13th July:
Although i am not lengthening on these days i am still walking around the nursing home. I successfully use the lift for the first time and also make it back to my room. This is the first time i do this without assistance. Previously i needed help lifting my legs from my bed and placing them on the floor as they were too weak.

Thursday 14th July:
Today i continue lengthening at the same 1mm daily rate as before.

I also move from the nursing home to the hotel. Not entirely effortless but painless. Everything is done to accommodate me from getting in and out of the van all the way to entering my hotel room and setting everything up. The hotel btw is an extremely nice one. At a discounted rate agreed with the hospital it came to roughly the same price as renting an apartment. However I chose the hotel instead of an apartment as the staff here are very happy to help, they are not nurses but at this stage nurses are unnecessary. Only thing I need is help moving things.

The hotel also has an amazing gym and other facilities like a swimming pool (which i cannot use for obvious reasons). Being here feels more like staying in a 5 star hotel on holiday as opposed to being here for surgery. I would honestly recommend this place even for a holiday without surgery.

Friday:
I am too nervous to use my walker to go all the way for breakfast. I am in a hotel where no nurses can rush to my aid. Instead i opt to be wheeled to the breakfast table by hotel staff who i mist add are incredibly helpful. I feel in every way catered for and in no way anxious. I am also able to wheel myself to the nearby pharmacy where i purchase calcium. Although I have been advised it is not necessary, it can still help. I am keen to give my bones whatever possible to form.

Saturday 16th July
I am able to walk and the pain has subsided considerably. I ask the hospital for a recommended physiotherapist as i am unhappy with my progress and i am happy to pay if it will enable me to advance from wheelchair to crutches. I begin intensive physio as my legs still aren't string enough and my lower back is far to weak to support my body on crutches. Even with the walker my back is extremely bent forward.

Wednesday 27th July.
Up until this point everything has been fairly consistent and straight forward. However, over the last few days i have experienced excruciating pain in my right knee. Why this is I do not know. But it's increasingly difficult to move. It feels incredibly stiff and as a result i am unable to walk. I am told to stop lengthening for 4 days. I have quit eating food and i'm now sticking to soup. I know it's unsustainable but due to an experience i had a few days ago where i needed to crap but was unable to walk to the toilet I decided it was best to reduce food intake. This idea has proved stupid however, as i am so weak as a result. 

I read somewhere on this forum that someone else had been experiencing pain in their knees. They had no choice but to "walk it off". This gave me some motivation to fight through the pain. I kicked my legs back and forth on the bed, the pain is like nothing ive experienced so far. The stiffness in my knees is so unbearable but i have to continue. I have nobody to cry to, no roommate to talk to, no nurse to attend to me. The hotel staff of course are available but there isnt exactly a great deal they can do apart from offer me water. I'm not a religious person but i think when you are truly in a horrible place and in isolation where nobody can help, the only place is to look up. The only person i have to cry out to is God. I have no shame in doing that. Especially as it has strengthened me.

After roughly half an hour of kicking whilst screaming and praying and doing everything I possibly can to endure the pain... the pain subsides.

I hope I haven't offended anyone in explaining exactly how I have coped so far in terms of my faith. It's just the truth.

Thursday 28 July:
I visit the Dr who is over seeing my LL, expecting swabs of sympathy and some kind of solution to this intermittent knee pain. When he enters the room he looks really surprised and tells me I am so weak. I considered myself to be considerably strong mentally so of course he must mean physically. However.. I didn't really consider my physical state to have deteriorated but i thought to confirm it with him. "Physically?" I replied. He corrected me and said "No, mentally".

I was in shock, i was making so much effort to be mentally strong but it wasn't enough. And he was right. You have to be mentally indestructible kind of strong to be able to cope with some of the crap this surgery can throw your way. These words of telling me i was so much mentally weaker than I thought, was the eye opener i needed. Pain is in the mind. If your mind is strong enough you can cope. After pushing myself I found myself coping with pain that 100mg of Tramadol (or contramal as they call it here) couldn't solve.

Friday 29th July

I think the type of mentality one needs to survive this ordeal is almost military. Like that of an injured soldier. I have been watching loads of war films where the courage of those that were injured got them through. It sounds irrelevant and i guess it kind of is. But it further reinforces my point regarding being mentally strong.

So up till now I have lengthened 2.3 cm. I have lost 6 days of lengthening which is really annoying me as i will have to rearrange my flight, again!

Saturday 30th
I decide to try sleeping with my knees bent. For some reason when i wake up the pain that normally returns to my knees isn't there. They're still stiff but hey, the pain was the biggest issue.

Sunday 31st
I decide im going to create a thread on this forum. I don't know if people will read it or benefit but at least it's out there. I've been as acurate and honest as i could. Even though i've been here over a month, i'm still scared, nervous, worried about so many things. If i go home in a wheel chair (as is probably going to happen given my progress) how do i get up the stairs into my house?? I do I naviagte around my narrow hallway with a wheelchair. These are all things you should consider BEFORE you have this operation. I wish I had. But instead i read the best stories where people left on crutches after three months of LL and assumed that would be me. But not everybody does, plenty of people leave in a wheelchair. Everybody's anatomy is different and you have no clue until the time comes for your own surgery to take place.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »

You're about half way done lengthening then, congratulations on that.

If it counts for anything, you've got a kindred spirit in Italy right now.

Hang in there brother

I really do appreciate that!!

Ghostfish

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Hi Quilox

Thanks for posting your journey.  I've not done ll but will, as long as I can manage enough time in the future.
1 mm a day seems a little too much for tibia, since in general tibia lengthening is limited to 0.75 or even less mm a day.  Make sure you can really take that much lengthening every day until you reach your goal.  I think 6 cm is a quite a decent goal for tibia, that could be a sort of safe line, although I think 5-5.5 cm could be safer.  You will also recover much much faster if you do 6 cm rather than 7 over more cm. 
Be strong and focus.  As you said, PAIN will GO away eventually.  Gain will replace it in the end.

Good luck!!

Ghostfish

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »

Hi Quilox

Thanks for posting your journey.  I've not done ll but will, as long as I can manage enough time in the future.
1 mm a day seems a little too much for tibia, since in general tibia lengthening is limited to 0.75 or even less mm a day.  Make sure you can really take that much lengthening every day until you reach your goal.  I think 6 cm is a quite a decent goal for tibia, that could be a sort of safe line, although I think 5-5.5 cm could be safer.  You will also recover much much faster if you do 6 cm rather than 7 over more cm. 
Be strong and focus.  As you said, PAIN will GO away eventually.  Gain will replace it in the end.

Good luck!!

Ghostfish

What you said is precisely true. 5cm is the safe line. The doctors here were honest in telling me that. And that's the main reason i chose them. They didn't sell me the 7.5cm dream that others did. I will aim for 6cm only because i really want to maximise my height but without risking too much. I think 6cm is probably the most i can do safely given my proportions. And it's all i have time for anyway.

ub40

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »

Very well written journal, keep up the good work.  The Dr shouldn't be calling you week first of all. The key is to take things one day at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. Try a pillow  between the legs to sleep on your side
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

aspirant185

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »

Are u worried about the political situation in Turkey right now ?
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

Alu

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »

Seriosuly.. Turkey is one of the last places I would want to be a LL patient...

This has me curious. How was it during that time with that coup?

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »

Very well written journal, keep up the good work.  The Dr shouldn't be calling you week first of all. The key is to take things one day at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. Try a pillow  between the legs to sleep on your side

Thanks ub40. I tried the pillow under my legs whilst they were bent and that seemed to work better than laying on my side. Well being called weak has only prompted me to pudh harder. So i guess it's had a positive effect. But i see your point completely.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 10:28:49 PM »

Are u worried about the political situation in Turkey right now ?

Hey aspirant185. Well right now, no. It's peaceful and quiet. As a non turkish citizen the whole situation isn't really going to effect me much. It's only pushed the value of the local currency further, and all the political reforms don't affect me one bit. It doesn't improve or degrade my life if thousands of judges/army personnel/teachers get the sack as the president has done here. So long as there is peace, as there is now, then i'm happy.

The media does make a good meal out of it. Haha I remember watching foreign news channels and thinking... wow that was a bit over the top.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:44:28 PM »

Seriosuly.. Turkey is one of the last places I would want to be a LL patient...

This has me curious. How was it during that time with that coup?

Hey Alu. Yes, good point. Haha I completely understand. In all honesty during the actual coup attempt and shortly afterwards i was scared!! Very scared. I was nervous I wouldn't be able to continue my LL. And hearing F16 jets fly low over my hotel is an experience i'll never forget. But the staff at the hospital were helpful. Even at 2am whilst the coup was in play. They assured me that even in the event the coup was successful I could either return home or continue LL. I'm sure if i chose to return they would have refunded most of my money, but being as determined as i am to get my inches, I probably would have stayed anyway.

The military taking over wouldn't have been a problem. Civil war would have been. And believe me I would have been out. Frames on and all. After the coup failed and order was restored, which was the following morning, i chose to register with the British consular. Who reassured me the country was now safe. I registered with them anyway, explaining my vulnerability as i was in the middle of LL. This way, in the event of another coup attempt or some other crazy event, they would know where to find me and help me evacuate.

I was in hospital when the terrorist attack took place on the airport. The fact i flew in there a week before was particularly disturbing. In hindsight, had i forseen these incidents I wouldn't have chosen turkey. However, it's not as bad as the media would have you believe. Bad news does sell well and they aren't going to update you on how peaceful things currently are.

Peaceout

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »

Great diary man.Keep updating please :)

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 02:04:12 PM »

Great diary man.Keep updating please :)

Hey Peaceout, thanks! I will do. I'll try to keep going until i've made a full recovery. Which will probably be a year from now.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:41 PM »

Monday 1 August
It's 5am and i need to crap!!! I'm contemplating just holding it in so i can go back to bed without crying for hotel staff to come and help me. At this time of night the staff are scarce anyway so it will be a while before they come to wheel me to the toilet. I've been wheeled to the toilet since my knee pain started. Even though the pain has gone, my physio told me not to use my walker unless someone was watching. He had seen me demonstrate my ability to use the walker and admittedly i was awful now. Barely taking more than a few steps without sweating buckets. I could only stand comfortably.

Faced with the dilemma of 1. sitting it out and being able to go back to sleep immediately 2. waiting for hotel staff to assist me or 3. Defying the advice of the physio and grabbing my walker

I chose to defy my physio's advice as my desperation to crap suddenly grew. I grabbed my phone and put it in my pocket then grabbed my walker and headed for the toilet. About half way i realised how risky it was but i kept on going and made it safely. I used the hotel's toilet phone (some hotels have them which is useful) to call reception. I told them it should take me 10 minutes to get back to my bed and if I hadn't called back they should send someone to my room.

My fear at this point was falling over and landing in an awkward position that would put pressure on my knee or ankle, or arm joints. Anywhere. Causing considerable damage the longer i lay there in that position until the cleaners found me. Of course you need your arms to use your mobility aid so I couldn't afford to injure myself anywhere. Despite having my phone in my pocket, had i fallen on the side with my phone in, I doubt very much it would be easy enough to get out. Also the pockets in these shorts are very deep. Which i would suggest, as dropping your shorts down whilst on the toilet will normally result with your phone dropping out of your shallow pockets.

I began walking back and now i had a 10 minute timer. Which was good because i had a goal and as i had set that goal myself it didn't put me under too much pressure. I arrived back safely with a minute or two to spare. I called reception and they answered immediately, relieved they wouldn't be dealing with a guest sprawled across the floor in urgent need of medical attention. Btw 10 minutes seems fast to someone like me on a walker, but an able bodied individual could make this stretch in no more than 10 seconds. The distance from the edge of my bed to the en suite toilet seat really isn't much. But when you undergo LL, these are the kind of challenges you will face.

I've decided i'm going to try and make use of Siri. If i set my iphone correctly I should be able call reception by voice commands (and without the need to press the home button). This seems like a more practical solution going forward.

I'm so chuffed with my toilet dash right now. I go back to sleep with an overwhelmingly positive vibe.

Deads

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »

Great diary.. Sucks that you are on such a tight timeframe, but you seem very determined to get the job done. I'd say you're a lot mentally stronger than you think.. Enjoying your concise style. Will be closely watching your progress :)

Peaceout

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 04:37:03 PM »

Hey i sent you a pm.Can you check it out?

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:06 AM »

Great diary.. Sucks that you are on such a tight timeframe, but you seem very determined to get the job done. I'd say you're a lot mentally stronger than you think.. Enjoying your concise style. Will be closely watching your progress :)

Ah thanks Deads. I appreciate that.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 05:39:54 AM »

Hey i sent you a pm.Can you check it out?

Hey Peaceout, i've replied.

SpiritIndestructible

• Visitor
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 09:38:11 PM »

Hi Quilox,

If only I had discovered this forum before! I am from Turkey and maybe would have helped you a lot in your journey here, especially with the language barrier.

I am seriously considering this operation. In fact it has been my wildest dream ever since I heard that lengthening your legs is actually possible.

I have two crucial questions:

1. How much does this operation cost in total?
2. Do the doctors require a medical or psychological proof in order to approve the operation? Like, say, a psychologist's advice etc?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I am so excited and a newbee!  ;D

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 07:28:01 PM »

Hi Quilox,

If only I had discovered this forum before! I am from Turkey and maybe would have helped you a lot in your journey here, especially with the language barrier.

I am seriously considering this operation. In fact it has been my wildest dream ever since I heard that lengthening your legs is actually possible.

I have two crucial questions:

1. How much does this operation cost in total?
2. Do the doctors require a medical or psychological proof in order to approve the operation? Like, say, a psychologist's advice etc?

Sorry if these questions have already been answered. I am so excited and a newbee!  ;D

Hey SpiritIndestructible

I am incredibly sorry for the delay in replying your post. This month has been particularly challenging for me mentally. Whilst you may have an enormous amount of enthusiasm for this procedure as indeed I did to begin with, eventually it has become a battle as opposed to a thrill. I will give a summary of the last month shortly.

To answer your questions:

1. With Acibadem this operation costs too much. €30,000 for the surgery alone. I know there are far cheaper places but I came for the doctors experience with limb lengthening complications. I figured if something was gonna go wrong I better be somewhere where they have the expertise in dealing with major screw ups. €30K is incredibly expensive, you can get it done for half the price elsewhere in Turkey. I'm sure a great deal of cost is going towards the hospital. If it were clothing Acibadem would be somewhat of a designer boutique if you will. Since you're a Turkish citizen you'll probably know what I mean.

2. They never asked me a thing about my mental health reports. But then again I am a foreign patient so perhaps it would have been a drawn out process obtaining them.

I would say that had I gone with just the frames and never had the nail inserted, the procedure would have cost about 10k less. So you can probably get it for around 22k (max 25) if you go without the nails. It just means you have to keep the frames on until consolidation. If you're a Turkish citizen you'll probably be ok. For me it's been a nightmare as they have no guest house or anything. I'm living in a hotel by myself and it's near enough impossible to do simple things like cut my toe nails or open a self closing door.

Honestly though, the cost of this operation really annoys me the more I discover how much cheaper other places are.

Revenge

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 12:37:36 AM »

Hey man ı wish best of luck I m from turkey and ı will be in Istanbul 20 days later if yo want help you can mail me.
I want to say something about Turkey.Turkey is really ridicilous country ridicilous people ridicilous leader bla bla bla
  but for health travel ı thinks its really first class(for top hospitals like Acıbadem)

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2016, 02:14:41 AM »

Hey man ı wish best of luck I m from turkey and ı will be in Istanbul 20 days later if yo want help you can mail me.
I want to say something about Turkey.Turkey is really ridicilous country ridicilous people ridicilous leader bla bla bla
  but for health travel ı thinks its really first class(for top hospitals like Acıbadem)

Hey Revenge, i couldn't agree with you more in one sense. Although i have made some incredible friends. The coup phase was ridiculous, i mean, that was an experience i will never forget haha. But yes the hospitals are amazing. At acibadem anyway, i've never been so impressed.

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2016, 02:15:33 AM »

Im not sure if anybody still reads this but if you do, apologies for the delay in updating my diary. And sorry once again because everything is in one block and not broken into days or weeks. I've lost the enthusiasm to write daily.

August 1 - September 12th.
Well August was eventful. Starting off in a state of depression and finishing with an incredibly positive mood. The hardest part was how slowly time was moving. Spending 23 of 24 hours in my hotel room was beginning to take its toll mentally. I was so reluctant to be seen in public as the reactions of people was just unbearable. In hindsight I don't blame them, i was harsh to expect anything less. We have to remember that to those of us in this forum an ilizorov frame is..just a lengthening frame. But to the rest of the world who may not even know it exists, it's like WTF!! I have never seen mankind behave in such a way. People would stand in front of me with their jaw dropped and stare or point. It was crazy.

I think the only thing that i can say that helped me get through being locked away was taking each day at a time. Just trying to focus on making it through the morning, and then the afternoon and lastly the evening. Giving yourself something to look forward to. For example, a phone call from a friend or perhaps something you will order for dinner. Anything, no matter how small, the importance is taking your focus away from the long term and focusing on each passing day. I must admit, august flew by much faster than i expected once i began doing this.

At one point one of the screws in my frame almost ran out of thread. I freaked out thinking my leg would fall off if i continued. I called the doctor and was quite annoyed. But he arranged for a new screw to be installed shortly after. In all fairness it's not just the doctors responsibility (although predominantly it is) but it's also yours to check that your not running out of thread. I mean, my doctor saw me at times once every two weeks, but i saw my frames at least 4 times a day. So just bare that in mind as well.

Up until august i had not experienced pin cutting, i guess the first few cm are like the honeymoon period because everyone has some give in their skin. It's not completely tort to begin with. But after about the first inch my skin became tort and wasn't regenerating at 1mm a day to keep up with my lengthening pace. Just another thing to brace yourself for potentially.

One thing i found that actually helped me with my pin sights and the wounds from  pin cutting, was allowing my skin to scab. Yes keep the scabs clean but don't destroy the scab! I remember reading this advice on the forum and thinking "yeah whatever, your not a doctor" but after constant pin sight infections I decided to try and never had another infection since.
Your body's scabs form a natural barrier so why the doctors ask you to "clean" them off I don't understand. I also never showered the whole time i was here and I don't plan on doing so for another few weeks. Sounds disgusting but there are medical wipes you can use that keep you from smelling and then just wash your face normally. I've read of people taking showers with their frames or even going swimming, my goodness, i think the odds of pin sight infections skyrockets in those cases. Tbh i never did those things involving water (even avoided the rain) so i cannot tell you for sure whether it would contribute to an infection.

I also experienced some outer knee pain from a pulled muscled (or whatever it is) behind my knee joint. It's amazing how weak our legs become under these conditions but it's also important to KEEP MOVING. It was so painful to do so that i gave it a rest for a few days. Then I remembered what happened last month and how stiff my knee became afterwards. So after a few days i began to battle through the pain but my knee was already stiff again. Use it or lose it, that's what i've learnt from all of this. Eventually things eased up, i was able to move my knee despite the pain and soon after the pain eased off.

It's also really important to do your stretches. I cannot stress how important it is for you be able to straighten your knee completely. If you cannot do this you will not be able to stand with your full body weight efficiently.  Instead, your knee joint will bear more weight than it needs in an unnatural position. But if you stand with your knee completely straight it's like everything goes straight down to the balls of your feet which is more natural. Im not a physiotherapist so my explanation may be a bit crap but my point about keeping your knee straight when you stand is very true. Hopefully you will have effective physiotherapy and wont have to "discover" this for yourself.

Inflammation and ice: i've already spoken about knees but honestly they were probably the most problematic thing for me. I couldn't find a great deal when i was going through hell with my knees so if it helps one person then great. Apply ice to your inflamed knee. No point using a massive bag, it's not efficient in targeting the specific areas that may in fact even be obstructed by your frame. Take a single cube at a time and wrap it in a cloth (just dont put ice directly on your skin please) And feel around for where the ice cube can be felt. On the areas where the inflammation originates you wont feel the ice. But in areas that are not problematic you will. This is another thing I discovered from trial and error.

Distraction: 1mm a day is probably ambitious for most people. In the beginning it was fine for me but after 4cm i had to slow down to 0.5cm a day because my consolidation was just so poor, despite all the calcium and vitamins and doing EVERYTHING in my knowledge/power. I even stopped eating weatbran as it inhibits calcium intake. I did everything. So my point is, don't assume you will lengthen healthily on your terms. It's up to your legs. You cannot choose a time and length and expect your body to just cooperate.

Another thing to remember, is the amount you lengthen will be less than what you actually gain. I definitely lengthened at least 6cm. The final x-rays show a gap of 4.5cm. So check your x-ray, don't just count the days. Your frame is a mechanism that doesn't distribute exactly 0.25mm every time you turn. Some will be lost to resistance. Screws bending etc. I'm not an expert and my doctor's explanation kinda flew over but that was the main gist.

Stem cell therapy. This is where i am happy i paid the money i did to come to Acibadem. They injected bone marrow cells taken from my hip, into the fracture site. My goodness my bones have grown at lightening speed since. They are already almost consolidated now allowing for full weight bearing, with the use of a walker and removable cast for 4 weeks. It's precautionary but after 4 weeks my bones are expected to be fully consolidated. That's incredible for me, 4 weeks!! It would normally take someone like me 6 months (i've broken my tibia before).

I think had i taken a cheaper option, I'd probably be struggling with lack of consolidation on returning home. 1mm a day is too much for someone like me. And if i lengthened at 0.75mm a day i'd have left with even less than 4.5cm. So overall i guess you get what you pay for. If you're one of those lucky ones who everything goes right for then you don't need to pay all the money i did. The only issue is not knowing whether you will be lucky. What  will your body throw at you.
I will say one thing for sure, i've said it before but DO NOT push yourself into a time bracket. PLEASE DON'T DO IT. Maybe you'll need 3 months for just under 2 inches like me. Maybe you'll get 3 inches in 3 months. Just prepare for the absolute worse. That way if you hit problems at least you have the time to fix them.

If i had more time I could have lengthened to a greater amount. The hospital were prepared to continue as they were excited to achieve a higher amount of lengthening but i was out of time for the box i had given myself. Things would have only worked had everything been perfect, and for sure perfection rarely exists. But on the bright side I haven't exceeded the doctors advice at 5cm. So my recovery should be quick and hopefully full.

I will update in one month. Hopefully i can walk without the cast.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:21:49 AM by Quilox »

ub40

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2016, 03:34:41 AM »

That's incredible, bone marrow directly into the site. I wonder if they would offer that service as a stand alone option for people that have done ll elsewhere

Quilox

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2016, 10:17:45 AM »

That's incredible, bone marrow directly into the site. I wonder if they would offer that service as a stand alone option for people that have done ll elsewhere

I don't see why not. But i have no clue if it's something they usually do, i was just in a bad situation, no consolidation and the need to return home. i guess the doctor just done me the favour of organising it all for me. I have no clue of the price or anything as I didn't pay any extra. As I said I don't know if it's something they normally do, as i am told its relatively new technology in that it's not used mainstream. Haha i may be a guiney pig! I will ask about it and let you know.

Sweden

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »

Don't pass 6cm. Knee pain will go away and you'll be fine. Don't push your body, that's when serious complication happen.

And ask the hotel staff to get you a small office chair you can roll around on. You'll go crazy in the hotel room. Wear a cap so nobody recognize you. Eat the breakfast, as much as you can. That's the building stones for your legs.

Try to get coconut oil, chia seeds, lots of green vegetables and plenty of water during the day. Garlic and honey is good to as all citric fruits.

Stand up every for as long as you can. Try to lean forward so your feet gets pushed upwards a bit. Take it easy.
Pin bending is normal.

Best of luck.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

ub40

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 11:51:15 AM »

Hey can we get an update? What happened with the stem cell info?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up